The Dome & The Boys

Wiganer1

Someone mentiuoned the dome..

went a few times and was packed everytime with a great atmosphere..

however where are all the guys who ran it ,dj'ed at it .remember matt jahans very well

come to think of i never see any of the punters anywhere else either

come on you domites where are you all????

Social source share

• Replies 85
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

however where are all the guys who ran it ,dj'ed at it .remember matt jahans very well

Best NS do i ever went to, hardly missed one for the first three or four years, there's a lot of peeps on here i met through the Dome that i now class as friends & the night Matt Jahans phoned me up & asked me if i'd like to do a dj spot was one of the most chuffed moments i've had since i got into NS.

For me when Greg left it lost it's magic slightly & never really recaptured it for me, some good people tried to keep it going but for me it never got back to it's very best.

At it's height it was just superb, Soulies, well dressed Skins, Mods all dancing to predominately fresh sounding & imaginatively spun 6ts dancers, it was NS heaven. A promoter with boundless energy, enthusiasm & instantly likeable & djs with top tunes at the top of their game, as i said when you got asked to dj at this place it really did mean something.

I've seen clubs come & go since but nothing to rival this club, there were other really good things in London at the time also, TOS, Scenesville, 100 club etc. & all these clubs created a really fantastic scene in London which i was lucky enough to reap the benefits from when doing my Brighton alldayers as i managed to snag a lot of the djs from these clubs.

Great times!

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Definately one of the best places i've ever been, the people, the atmosphere, the totally across the board music, and who can forget the dancefloor :thumbsup: nearly broke my neck several times. Matt Jahans had time for everybody, the DJs would talk music with you while they worked, it was a real old fashioned 'soul club' atmosphere the sort of thing i could imagine going on the 60s.

The thing i liked about the Dome was seeing people i hadn't met before, Simon Bridger, Martin Thompson, Andy Faulkner, Sue P. I don't think i've seen any of them since the Dome ended (although most are on here) because the furthest south i seem to go these days is Worcester, which is a shame :thumbup:

Isn't Dave Flynn in Japan now and Matt Jahans went to Australia?

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Definately one of the best places i've ever been, the people, the atmosphere, the totally across the board music, and who can forget the dancefloor :thumbup: nearly broke my neck several times. Matt Jahans had time for everybody, the DJs would talk music with you while they worked, it was a real old fashioned 'soul club' atmosphere the sort of thing i could imagine going on the 60s.

The thing i liked about the Dome was seeing people i hadn't met before, Simon Bridger, Martin Thompson, Andy Faulkner, Sue P. I don't think i've seen any of them since the Dome ended (although most are on here) because the furthest south i seem to go these days is Worcester, which is a shame :yes:

Isn't Dave Flynn in Japan now and Matt Jahans went to Australia?

Brilliant Club, rarely missed a night, it was that good (the original CSC at Shoreditch was my first Northern night in 15 years & convinced me that I needed to get back into it :lol: ) & when it moved to the Dome just took off big time! & at the same time Scenesville which ran on alternate months also was of a very high standard musicaly & atmosphere tho' the Dome shaded it. Once Greg & Dave left it seemed to go very slowly downhill despite Alan H & Carl still producing the goods.

I think the reason why you never see a lot of punters from those days was that people travelled from around the country for these nights as well as "non soulies" who just enjoyed the music turning up (never to be seen again :huh: ).

Yes Matt certainly seemed to have a lot of energy didn't he :thumbsup: haven't heard that he was in Oz & saw him "fairly recently" ? possibly last 6/9 months (but time goes so quickly so could be more than that) but yes Dave F. is in Japan.

Social source share

Heyday .... In this pic, dancing ... MJ time ...

post-2216-1186751237_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest vic-shot

Had some real good times at the Dome and got to hear some top top records,All the djs were good guys and alway took time out to mix with the crowd and enjoy them selfs too.

Social source share

The Dome was the first club I went to when I started going out again (in 2002). I was quite scared when I got there, although I was going to meet some people off KTF group there was no one I knew there at first. A big place, dark, music like I'd never heard before. I was expecting NS of the tinkling vibes style. What was this strange stuff they are playing? Made me realise how little I really knew about soul music.

I met the guys I was expecting, Andy Faulkner, Alan Gibbins, Martin Thomson, Tom Wood, and Sue Parker who had encouraged me to go, when I thought I was too old to go out to a soul night. Think I met Matt Male that night too.

I think it was about 3 hours before they played a record I knew (Yes I'm In Love) and I took it from there, went out on the dance floor, feeling really nervous, all these people, fantastic dancers. But I must have got back into the swing of it, because I'm still doing it now.

Through the Dome, and SITC and TOS and others I've met so many good friends. And it has been a musical education.

I think the first post in this thread said they hadn't seen any of the regulars since then.

Well they are about, but it is true, there are many people I've not seen since then, perhaps they are on the Mod scene, as when, on the odd occasion, I've been to a Mod club, I've seen various people who I used to see there. Also at the Va Va Voom events some Domers were present whom I hadn't seen since then. Also at Solid Hit Soul.

I have to agree with Simon, it was great with the Dome, Scenesville and TOS all on in London. But of course everyone tells me I missed their great days. Don't know about that but the ones I went to were great.

I've got a DVD of the last Dome, often look at it, brings back a great night.

Thanks to the guys who run it and the DJs, they changed my life.

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Who knows one day ill do a Capitol Soul Club aniversary or something

but id have to get everyone together for it.

I can still remember the day greg called me and said do ya wanna do a club

seven years ago now time flies when your enjoying yourself.

It was sad when the team broke up but hey everyone moves on.

I know the numbers went right down for the last year or so

but the music was always 100 percent after all we had Mick H and Carl Fortnum as residents

me and Ady lupton as well with great guests.

I felt that as it was coming up to our 5th anniversary id call it a day and go out with a bang and not a whimper.

Kenny Burrell was our guest he also did us the free cd which was fantastic

we had 400 through the doors what a night.

Wanna say thanks to everyone who came and made those nights what they were

pure magic :( .

So where are we all now Mick and Carl are djing all over, Flynny is in japan,matt got married to the lovely simone Mr Lupton is still buying 45s,Lucy on the door is down under,Jo wallace is livin in harlow,Hal the flyer boy is still out and about

and im quite happy spinnin my 45s in dark dingy celler bars to the soul modernists

Al H :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Sitting at home waiting to be inspired again.

:thumbsup: Must say, always had a great time me self !

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

but the music was always 100 percent after all we had Mick H and Carl Fortnum as residents

I felt that as it was coming up to our 5th anniversary id call it a day and go out with a bang and not a whimper.

pure magic :( .

So where are we all now Mick and Carl are djing all over, Flynny is in japan,matt got married to the lovely simone Mr Lupton is still buying 45s,Lucy on the door is down under,Jo wallace is livin in harlow,Hal the flyer boy is still out and about

and im quite happy spinnin my 45s in dark dingy celler bars to the soul modernists

Al H :thumbsup:

So many memories of the Dome....taking over as Mrs Cloakroom after Sue left, doing security with those lovely bouncers :D and spinning on the last nights of the Dome Mk1 and Dome Mk2....I miss the towel clad clients who used to wander in from the sauna next door into Dome Mk1 see what was going on - it was a bit of a shock at first but you got used to it :) Jo

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I can remember writing an article for the Capitol 1st anniversary. Being Capitol it was about 19 months after the first night in Shoreditch. :thumbsup:

I compared it to a club I never went to. The Mecca.

Like the Mecca it wasnt an allnighter, but it had that 'it' an allnighter has that encouraged people to make an extra special effort and travel.

And like the Mecca some of the top tunes of the day were played there before anywhere else.

The best bit for me tho was calling Matt, Alan, Greg and Dave friends. (I never ever spoke to Carl for some reason??) It may be my bias for my mates, but the way they ran the club was how I imagine the perfect club to be run. They handed out tapes compiled beforehand so the soulies who attended could get to hear the tracks they were playing in between nights, and become used to the new sounds. It resulted in every night the floor being stretched to its very limits. In fact it became so successful the move to the larger Dome in Tuffnel Park was inevitable. Matt was always on hand with (sometimes a little too much) an enthusiastic welcome, and his frontmanship I believe encouraged a far younger crowd. The fact he was the youngest and a pretty good looking chap, meant he could encourage friends and friends of friends from a younger age group, and once they had experienced that atmosphere in the Dome, they often came back with more friends to see what the fuss was about. I'm sure the spinoff in other clubs in London at that time was felt.

I've said on another thread a couple of months ago, London from 1997 to about 2003, was about the most enjoyable time of my soul life. With clubs playing a pretty diverse selection of the Northern Soul musical tree. But it became too successful, and going out one night to 5 different clubs all with pretty low numbers, I could see the bell tolling. In hindsight if there could have been a better consensus and just the few clubs going at the weekend when the Dome and the superb Scenesville were going, then the London Soul scene could have stretched its time in the sun a little longer. But lots of people were encouraged, inspired even, by the success of the Dome, and tried to emulate it. None did, and now London (it seems to me having left 2 years ago) is readjusting again.

It may rankle with the older guys that a London club in the nineties could be compared to the Mecca, but for those of us lucky enough to get to most, our memories will be I believe every bit as good as your Mecca memories.

Worst bit of the club? The summer one always seemed to be on the hottest day of the year, and The Dome on those Friday nights was hotter than a sauna!

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Had some great nights there myself.First time we came up from Bournemouth it seemed to take forever with traffic and weather being awful,but parked up walked into Boston Arms and all was well with the world.

One thing that'll stay with me forever was the mens toilets.'Nuff said methinks. :thumbsup:

Dave.

Social source share

Made couple of journeys to Dome although it was difficlt to get back to Notts after,

loved the place, met few people i'd met only through the net before, pleasure to finally meet Mike there after a while and his "White Label" series, some of best cds ever made. still give me great listening pleasure!!!

cheers

steve

Social source share

Yeah.... Missed out on the Shoreditch club but was a regular at the Dome - Great times! Still got the 3rd anniversary Key Fob on my car key! :lol:

Social source share

One thing that'll stay with me forever was the mens toilets.'Nuff said methinks.

They were certainly memorable. I was caught short one night and eventually found a cubicle that wasn't too bad. Sitting on the pot trying to hold my trousers off the floor. Funny in retrospect, but never to be forgotten. The things we do for soul music.

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Fantastic events!! The music spun really pumped some enthusiasm back into my soul and influenced my taste - even to this day. What great times we had.

Social source share

pure magic :wicked: .

Al H :lol:

Hey Al

Still looking for a nite that comes anywhere close to the dome at its peak

Think its fair to say that this place here owes a hell of a lot to this event, thats for sure

There's most of all old stuff from those days still on here in articles bit, said elsewhere be doing a sort of lookback series over the last 10 years very soon, no doubt there will be a fair bit of csc stuff

Sue who did the coats for first couple of years (when it was at the top of stairs) was last seen 10 mins ago going to bed.

Echo all whats been said and more

Got a hat nailed to a wall somewhere so its permantly off to you lot for what you had going :huh:

Great times!

mike

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

So for the record can anyone list DJ's, the starts and finishes I remember Joe Wallace at Shorditch with Alan & Carl did Stuart Tyler play at Shorditch? then didn't Dave join a bit later at the Dome.

Ion played at Shoreditch. I loved the DJ tapes - I think I've almost got a whole series....happy days :lol: Jo

Social source share

I think I can say The Dome stands alone in it's own right, when you try and compare it to other venues like the Mecca.

The Mecca was a different buzz altogether and a very different dance style especially with the main funk room over spill.

With Scene Ville, 100 Club and The Dome at that time there was a strong healthy Competition of tunes, I remember DJ's from all the clubs standing at the edge of the dance floor waiting for the next Andy Rix acetate, the Dave Flynn cover up, Butch's latest a great time to be had in London.

Not sure but Greg's radio show could have something to do with the acceleration of the scene.

Edited by Prophonics 2026
Social source share

Great picture! Epitomises the dome really, such a great mix of people: age groups, tribes, cultures etc. Not a chin stroker in sight :huh:

Very true! :D

Can remember going into the little DJ cave and asking Greg if he'd play his Vivian Carol and him (phones on) saying "yeah, dig it out it's in there' ... Happy days. :lol:

med_gallery_2216_113_4765.jpg

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

So for the record can anyone list DJ's, the starts and finishes I remember Joe Wallace at Shorditch with Alan & Carl did Stuart Tyler play at Shorditch? then didn't Dave join a bit later at the Dome.

Just bantering with Dave Flynn and he is intending doing a website with a comlpete list of tracks played, what was on the freebie tapes and the like. May take a while. I didn't make Shoreditch, went to the second one at the Dome with Goldwax Craig and we were blown away. Having Dave Flynn live up the road and Greg usually being thirsty on a Wednesday or Thursday meant I got to know them fairly well and they asked me to do a warm up spot on a hot summer night and invited me back a few times, so I can't be as bad behind the decks as some people make out. At least thats my argument and I'm sticking to it. :huh:

Chris Dale was a regular at Chariots wasn't he? I mean DJing, not getting a "Turkish Bath". :D

I dug out Winnie's documentary recently, hadn't watched it since it came out. Hope that Dave can use a bit of that on the site too.

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Spot the Dome's SS Soulies ....

Where were you?

And where is that black guy with the orange tee shirt and hand claps, that always danced right there ..?

post-2216-1187004017_thumb.jpg

Guy in Orange shirt is Rob. School teacher in South London I believe. Often saw him in North London tho. He always went with Sue (orig from Bradford), in the blue top with her back to rob. The guy just by her hed is Rob Messem. Allround top geezer, hoi palio, celebity. Often seen him referred to on here as Robbie from victoria.

In the blue shirt just above robbie's head is SSer Yann Vatiste, next to him Ady Lupton.

To Ady's right is Stephanie (Black dress) from Sydney, her fella Duncan is on here.

I believe that is in town Mikey in front of Ken.

Thats all I am certain about.

The chap in the bottom right, is a great bloke, but his name escapes me. Was always at These Old Shoes. Has a Notts acent, may be from Mansfield, but now lives in Surrey.

Social source share

Guy in Orange shirt is Rob. School teacher in South London I believe. Often saw him in North London tho. He always went with Sue (orig from Bradford), in the blue top with her back to rob. The guy just by her hed is Rob Messem. Allround top geezer, hoi palio, celebity. Often seen him referred to on here as Robbie from victoria.

In the blue shirt just above robbie's head is SSer Yann Vatiste, next to him Ady Lupton.

To Ady's right is Stephanie (Black dress) from Sydney, her fella Duncan is on here.

The chap in the bottom right, is a great bloke, but his name escapes me. Was always at These Old Shoes. Has a Notts acent, may be from Mansfield, but now lives in Surrey.

For some reason I can't enlarge the pic but the guy in the orange shirt is Tony but the other details are correct,teacher lives in Hackney, used to go with Sue. He's still on the scene in London & is a regular at Solid Hit, good bloke :D

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

That Ken geezer as exceptionaly long arms. :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

OK think I have twigged a couple more people in the piccy.

In Between Rob Messem and Yann Vatiste, is probably Mrs trickster, Etsu Harvey.

And in between Yann and Ken, with one foot off the floor is French Fred.

The guy in the blue shirt slightly hidden behind the "d" in smudge that Simsy has put on, is married, I think, to the girl in the pink vest and white trousers. They often video nights. They must have a fantastic library of stuff. I've spoken to them both, but have never been introduced so dont know their names. He often wears retro clothes,a nd does some acrobatics. She often wears those long skirts that lift up as she spins.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Is it Tony Dave?

I called him Rob all the time lol

pmsl .............mind you happens all the time I expect, I remember 2 or 3 prestatyns ago somebody (who posts on here) told me "I've just been talking to Pete Smith for the last hour" when I asked where he was he pointed at you :D:boxing::lol:

Social source share

I've got a DVD of the last Dome, often look at it, brings back a great night.

Ooh a DVD - I just love watching footage of the dance floor and people in clubs. Club Culture and documentories tick my box. Has anybody got any copies of this DVD left for sale or can kindly do me a copy please. Money waiting.

cheers,

derek

Social source share

Ooh a DVD - I just love watching footage of the dance floor and people in clubs. Club Culture and documentories tick my box. Has anybody got any copies of this DVD left for sale or can kindly do me a copy please. Money waiting.

cheers,

derek

I think there's a guy who records & sells dvds & videos of soul night/niters. Somebody on here must know him. Having said that I don't think he had the last Dome on his list,

so if anybody can help Derek with a copy can they help me as well please :D

thanks

Social source share

Guy in Orange shirt is Rob. School teacher in South London I believe. Often saw him in North London tho. He always went with Sue (orig from Bradford), Sue's from Halifax ! in the blue top with her back to rob. The guy just by her hed is Rob Messem. Allround top geezer, hoi palio, celebity. Often seen him referred to on here as Robbie from victoria.

The chap in the bottom right, is a great bloke, but his name escapes me. Was always at These Old Shoes. Has a Notts acent, may be from Mansfield, but now lives in Surrey. Peter Jay, originally from Stoke

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert