Frank Popp On Manship

Guest ruffsounds

Guest ruffsounds

Whats going on, just checked J.Ms. auction and was amazed to see the Frank Popp-Hip Teens at £236 with 8 hours to go is it really worth that much????.

I have an unplayed copy here having bought it cos somebody said it was brill then i heard it and decided it should stay in my spares box cos i reckon it's crap so what's going on.

cheers Ruffsounds

Edited by ruffsounds
Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Does this question JMs integrity?

A relatively new release being bumped as a limited press

Wouldn't think so as it would have been a fairly small number of singles pressed 500 maybe 1000 tops.

Derek

Social source share

Wouldn't think so as it would have been a fairly small number of singles pressed 500 maybe 1000 tops.

Derek

But you could say that with many new releases- If Cunnie Williams was a bit more popular would that be worth £300.00 What are we paying for here - Rarity or poularity?

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Well, and I still have the original (first) German release up for grabs at 10 UKP.....I had no caller the first time I offered this on here :thumbsup:

I'll have it Marc,,,I like it

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

Press run of 500 if i remember right,

Don't see why it could reflect badly on John at all. Its an auction, it started off at £1 and there have been six separate bidders. The leading bidder at the moment is a regular player on Johns auction and buys some nice pieces.

Social source share

Don't see why it could reflect badly on John at all. Its an auction, it started off at £1 and there have been six separate bidders. The leading bidder at the moment is a regular player on Johns auction and buys some nice pieces.

John is a respected soul dealer but sometimes lets himslef down with this sort of charade

Im looking forward to him putting Jimmy James & vagabonds" Want you so much" on his auction site- If he doesnt then you are missing the whole point of what I am trying to say (opportunist - is what I am getting at and it does John no favours)Please answer John and restore our faith in you.

This appears to be like Xmas toys- The price increaes because of Opportunism not real value!

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

£306 and counting.... :thumbsup::thumbsup::ohmy::ohmy: .. The world is going mad I say....

...and then some. Been trying to sell mine for a decent (i.e in my eyes, inflated) price for ages - no takers, not even much interest.

Just goes to show that John's still the man when it comes to getting the high bids on records like this. Let's not 'blame'; him for selling it, either - it's supply and demand, and if there's some people out there who want to pay three hundred quid plus for it, well, there's no heavy pressure on John's part for them to do so, is there?

He's listed it, someone (or several someones) want it, they buy it, everyone goes home happy - end of story, really...

TONE :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Jean-Marc

Well ... we have a similar thread on Modculture ... I was offering my copy for 50% of the end price ... and it was well before it reached this crazy price. Let's say 30 % (with company sleeve) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Sorry gone just a second ago. I`ll see if I find another one over here and let you know if I find one...they are not THAT rare, honestly not...

Marc

Thanks Marc

Social source share

John is a respected soul dealer but sometimes lets himslef down with this sort of charade

Im looking forward to him putting Jimmy James & vagabonds" Want you so much" on his auction site- If he doesnt then you are missing the whole point of what I am trying to say (opportunist - is what I am getting at and it does John no favours)Please answer John and restore our faith in you.

This appears to be like Xmas toys- The price increaes because of Opportunism not real value!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Whys he let himself down??? bonkers that statement is, all he's done is put it up to auction no biggie, For the record a press run of 500 is in the same ball park rarity wise as Geroge Lemons, Lester tipton, Joe Jamma, et all

Social source share

Can't understand why some people get so worked up about it.

To some it's a shite record selling at an over inflated price. So what?

If we all spat our dummies at every naff NS tune that sells for silly money there'd be no more dummies left for the kids.

Let it go, brothers and sisters. Let it go.

Social source share

We are surprised as everyone else at the curent bid price. But it's on auction because I know my business, and we know that if we listed at £100 (about the price we expected) The Phone would have rang for weeks just for that one record. Auction gives everyone a chance to own any records.

It's not about auctioning RARE records it's about presenting an interesting selection of collectables.

And sometimes it becomes embarrassing...

But my integrity at stake...

Perhaps the guy who won Brown Sugar - Capitol a couple a years back ..for £400+ Will confirm that I told him that's a silly price for a reasonably common 45..and we gave him £200 website credit.. because he got "auction fever" .. integrity?

Does this question JMs integrity?

A relatively new release being bumped as a limited press

We are surprised as everyone else at the curent bid price. But it's on auction because I know my business, and we know that if we listed at £100 (about the price we expected) The Phone would have rang for weeks just for that one record. Auction gives everyone a chance to own any records.

It's not about auctioning RARE records it's about presenting an interesting selection of collectables.

And sometimes it becomes embarrassing...

But my integrity at stake... ?

Perhaps the guy who won Brown Sugar - Capitol a couple a years back ..for £400+ Will confirm that I told him that's a silly price for a reasonably common 45..and we gave him £200 website credit.. because he got "auction fever" ..

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

There's lots of silly people about, and from the comments on here about this record going for silly money then there's a fair few on here. Please stop and think before you engage your fingers, it started at a £1, if only one person bid on this item then they would have been sold for a £1, but that would be silly to some of you on here. JM is business man knows his business and knew that there would be a number of people interested in this item, hence the auction, the price then is dictated by maybe silly BIDDERS, but has nothing at all to do with the seller. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

When I visited my brother in China, I got talking to a couple sat next to me on the way back.

I paid £340 for my flight. They paid £700 each.

Visit to Forbidden Palace £6 - Them Guided tour £100 each

Visit to Great Wall £40 taxi there and back -- Them Guided tour £100 each

Dined in downtown restaurant £5 including drinks - Them Guided meal £100 each Wine extra £20 a bottle (European)

Visit the Chinese ballet £15 - Them Guided visit £100 each

I dont blame Virgin or their guides. Just like JM is completely without any comeback here.

IF he had put it on his set sale list for £300, then criticism would be justified. IMO.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i don't think it calls johns integrity into questionat all ...... the halfwit buying it needs commited though ..

up until recently they were still availble on the blow up website and by no means sold out quickly either , personally i thought people were sill paying 30+ on ebay for it ....

i'd say "the strange world of northern soul" but this record ain't so i won't lol

Social source share

He has to make a living Steve, if a record suddenly becomes popular, doesn't matter how common it is, the idea is to make as much out of it as possible while demand is at it's peak. For instance, I sold 35 copies of Sister James for £20 each a few years back...be lucky to get £5 for it now.

Social source share

hmmm. 500 copies. this record came out 5 years ago and up until last year

you could get it from blow up for £4. been 3 copies on ebay in the last week.

havent been that many joe jama or george lemons this week. I bet theres a few more

than that about. I reckon blow up pressed up 5000 and of course theres the

cd single to contend with :thumbsup:

dave

Social source share

hmmm. 500 copies. this record came out 5 years ago and up until last year

you could get it from blow up for £4. been 3 copies on ebay in the last week.

havent been that many joe jama or george lemons this week. I bet theres a few more

than that about. I reckon blow up pressed up 5000 and of course theres the

cd single to contend with :ohmy:

dave

I was just wondering how many Joe Jamas, George Lemons and Lester Tipton's Baz has seen in his years on the Northern Soul scene let alone the last week :thumbsup: I bet he's seen more Frank Popp this week than he's seen LT the last few years :thumbsup:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Can't understand why some people get so worked up about it.

To some it's a shite record selling at an over inflated price. So what?

If we all spat our dummies at every naff NS tune that sells for silly money there'd be no more dummies left for the kids.

Let it go, brothers and sisters. Let it go.

Totally agree !....If people want to spend their money on Frank Popp then that's up to them, I hope they enjoy it. Its their money they can spend it how they like.

JM

Social source share

He has to make a living Steve, if a record suddenly becomes popular, doesn't matter how common it is, the idea is to make as much out of it as possible while demand is at it's peak. For instance, I sold 35 copies of Sister James for £20 each a few years back...be lucky to get £5 for it now.

Im not against John making a living- We all have to do that but its about the value for money aspect and on this occasion I think john has been opportunist.

What is the point of having JM price guide if it does not guide!

A lot of people slated levine for the four vandals disc especially when certian people had paid alot of money for it. Levine had an alterior motive to do what he did but back to the root of it If you are arespected dealer with price guide to hand why would you allow this xmas toy opportunism spoil your 30 years of credibilityas the leading knowledge on soul records and values to boot.

The record is not rare as been established- relatively new release - It is not Lester Tipton, Admirations etc as john has admitted he has had lots of phone calls so he bumped it onto his auction where he knows it will be fought over. If you look at my previous post I said I ma looking forward to seeing Jimmy James want you so much on his auction. If he only had 2 copies and got 500 calls would he bump that onto his auction.

All the best Pete

What did it finally go for? - havent read all the threads yet.

Steve

Social source share

How does an auction work again?

one places an article for sale and invites bids before a closing date.

Bids are made and can be seen by other interested parties.

More people bid and eventaully the highest bidder wins the article.

Is there a step where the leading bidder has to have his head examined before continuing?

Is there a page on Soul Source where the soul police ask if the auctioneer is morally right to put the article up for sale.

oh yes there apparently is and I'm reading it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert