Delphi Label

Guest Baz

Any one got a discography of the Delphi lable whistling.gif

I have Oxford Knights and the Prophets both fantastic records, any others on ther worth looking into, think there was 20 or so realesed if i remember John saying when he auctioned a oxford knights a few years ago,

Lets be having you then :shades:

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

A Starter for 10 from Georgia Soul (Great Reference Site):-

Delphi Label 007 The Prophets - Talk Don't Bother Me / Don't Look Back

008 Roy Smith - Very Strong On You / Happens To the Best of Us

009 The Prophets - Don't You Think It's Time / I Don't Love You No More

011 The Pallbearers - Music With Soul / Love Is A Many Splendored Thing

012 O'Banion & The 4 Features - Mistaken Identity / Something Gotta Be Wrong

014 Roy Smith - Consider Me A Friend / We'll Be Happier When We Are In Albequerque

015 Obanion & the 4 Features - Laugh It Off / Cause It Hurts

016 Oxford Knights - I'm Such A Lonely One / Just Give Us Time

The Vistas - Keep On Keeping On / ?

Sean

Social source share

:lol::lol: What a morbid name for a group :lol:

Thanks a bunch Sean whistling.gif

Any more for any more :shades:

Social source share

Looked the part too!

post-1918-1150357441.jpg

Pallbearers

Godz

frusty2.gif They could at least put some enthusiasm into that picture :lol:

Any one got a soundfile of them just intruiged now :shades:

Social source share

frusty2.gif They could at least put some enthusiasm into that picture :lol:

Any one got a soundfile of them just intruiged now :shades:

I found a Prophets 007 on this label in Florida back in 1976 ever since then I've been intrigued by the label. I have one to add to this list but can't find it at the mo' it's warped and I was gonna straighten it and it's lost amoungst stock somewhere. (It's Northern)

But when you consider 30 years on I can't add any more titles to this impressive listing, underlines the RARITY of the label. I figure around 20 releases, cause the one I've mislaid is twenty something. And you think Shrine is rare?

Delphi Label

007 The Prophets - Talk Don't Bother Me / Don't Look Back

014 Roy Smith - Consider Me A Friend / We'll Be Happier When We Are In Albequerque

Can anyone else add anything?

Social source share

I found a Prophets 007 on this label in Florida back in 1976 ever since then I've been intrigued by the label. I have one to add to this list but can't find it at the mo' it's warped and I was gonna straighten it and it's lost amoungst stock somewhere. (It's Northern)

But when you consider 30 years on I can't add any more titles to this impressive listing, underlines the RARITY of the label. I figure around 20 releases, cause the one I've mislaid is twenty something. And you think Shrine is rare?

Delphi Label

Thanks John, the lable has intrigued me too now, not long picked up a 007 too, a blinding piece of vinyl, didn't it get a release on another lable too sad.gif

Social source share

Thanks John, the lable has intrigued me too now, not long picked up a 007 too, a blinding piece of vinyl, didn't it get a release on another lable too sad.gif

is it on jubilee baz? can't remember. but talk don't bother me is blinding i agree

Social source share

but talk don't bother me is blinding i agree

frusty2.gif Gone straight into my playlist, equally as good as 'one gold piece' all thought differnt kinds of sound :shades:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Pallbearers was an old Wigan tune, can't ever remember seeing it on Delphi, in fact this is the first I've heard of it on that label, usualy found on Fontana, if memory serves, used to have a W/D back in the day. Someone said that Tim Brown has a full set of Delphi releases.

Have a Prophets for sale, if anyones interested! whistling.gif

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

:wicked::yes: What a morbid name for a group whistling.gif

=========

the pallbearers is great wigan oldie....

get ready,,ready for the soul call,,i wanna tell y'all

music with soul,,,taking control!!!!!

never played ..alot wont like but one of faves of the fluffster!!

keep the faith!

ps

missed a copy on delphi 18 months or so ago...shudda bought it...

oh well

Social source share

Delphi Label

Hello John

I can add a few to this list though not sure all of them are on the label under discussion also a few are I think later presses put out by or for Roy Smith and as such I don't know how legit they are, these are :-

Roy Smith Stay tonight with me/Oh pretty woman Delphi 1981

Roy Smith Sweet secrets/Faraway strangers Delphi 2011

and also included with these re-issues is I think

Roy Smith I got the fever/My marie Delphi 0015

back to the original numbering system

Wain Randell It don't pay/You could change your mind Delphi 0019

and then some confusion, as well as the 015 Obanion I think somebody must have liked the number because I have on the familiar black label

Ronnie Blackwood Nothings impossible/A funky night Delphi 0015

Hope this helps

Dazz

Social source share

• 3 years later...

The Vistas is Delphi 0012. The flip is a cover version of Willie Tee's 'Thank you John'.

0012 The Vistas - Keep On Keepin' On/Thank You John

The Vistas - Keep On Keepin' On -

Here's some info from the Heeey Baby Days-Site:

The Vistas were an Augusta, GA group that fell under the spell of the ubiquitous Roy Smith, resulting in this ridiculously rare tip of the

hat to Willie Tee's THANK YOU JOHN. As it was a Delphi Records release, it was a pressing of significance. For the full story on the

strange details of how it got a Delphi 0012 slotted release number, check out Volume 8 of the Heeey Baby Days of Beach Music series

Anyone with more info on this one?

max

Social source share

Delphi 009 - Prophets 'Don't You Think It's Time/I Don't Love You no More' also came out on Jubilee. Two great sides, main side is a male vocal whilst the brilliant flip is a female lead set just above mid-tempo and may be the pick of the two for some.

Not sure if this is the same group who recorded on Detroit's 'Stephanye' or indeed 'Shrine'. I know the lead singer was black (and the female) but the musicians were blue-eyed. They are the same group who recorded for Smash with the Northern oldie 'I Get The Fever'.

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Delphi 009 - Prophets 'Don't You Think It's Time/I Don't Love You no More' also came out on Jubilee. Two great sides, main side is a male vocal whilst the brilliant flip is a female lead set just above mid-tempo and may be the pick of the two for some.

Not sure if this is the same group who recorded on Detroit's 'Stephanye' or indeed 'Shrine'. I know the lead singer was black (and the female) but the musicians were blue-eyed. They are the same group who recorded for Smash with the Northern oldie 'I Get The Fever'.

The prophets on Delphi is NOT the stephanye group, it is the same group as the Georgia Prophets who also did "I got the fever", etc.

Didn't the Pallbearers include Dann penn or was that a different pallbearers?

Social source share

The prophets on Delphi is NOT the stephanye group, it is the same group as the Georgia Prophets who also did "I got the fever", etc.

Didn't the Pallbearers include Dann penn or was that a different pallbearers?

Different Pallbearers, Bob.

Line up:

Jimmy Maples - Bass

Rudy Wilkes - Guitar

George Croft - Singer

Lewis Jones - Singer

Steve Allen - Drums

Jack Graves - Keyboards 1966 - 1967

Art Benton - Keyboards 1967 - 1971

pallbearerspromo2small.jpg

Music With Soul was written by Roy Smith of Georgia Prophets

More info on The Pallbearers HERE

Social source share

Brilliant pic Godz!! Looks like I was spot on with my assessment of the group, the female must have been the lead singer on the 'I Don't Love You No More' (Delphi 009) side, as I said before it's a great tune!

The singers are Billy and Barbara Scott.

Billy still plays with 'Billy Scott and the Party Prophets'. Barbara passed away in March this year.

Social source share

The singers are Billy and Barbara Scott.

Billy still plays with 'Billy Scott and the Party Prophets'. Barbara passed away in March this year.

Yes & they are the ame group that recorded on the Together label 'I think I Really Love You' I prefer the later offerings as they tend to feature the girls vocals more.

Still doing the 'Beach' circuit I beleive ????

Russ

Social source share

Hello John

I can add a few to this list though not sure all of them are on the label under discussion also a few are I think later presses put out by or for Roy Smith and as such I don't know how legit they are, these are :-

Roy Smith Stay tonight with me/Oh pretty woman Delphi 1981

Roy Smith Sweet secrets/Faraway strangers Delphi 2011

and also included with these re-issues is I think

Roy Smith I got the fever/My marie Delphi 0015

back to the original numbering system

Wain Randell It don't pay/You could change your mind Delphi 0019

and then some confusion, as well as the 015 Obanion I think somebody must have liked the number because I have on the familiar black label

Ronnie Blackwood Nothings impossible/A funky night Delphi 0015

Hope this helps

Dazz

Social source share

Just to add to the post by Dazz

Delphi DL-0015. Roy Smith & Serenity " I got the fever"/ "My Marie"

This is IMHO a late 70s onwards release as it is a cracking Modern/Northern dancer that is so infectious I cant understand why its has never seen major plays?

If its down to rarity then get hunting it is that good. 4 minutes of dancefloor heaven.

Dave Halsall

TMIB

Social source share

This is IMHO a late 70s onwards release as it is a cracking Modern/Northern dancer that is so infectious I cant understand why its has never seen major plays?

If its down to rarity then get hunting it is that good. 4 minutes of dancefloor heaven.

Dave Halsall

TMIB

Any chance of sending a clip Dave pse.

Thank you.

Russ

Social source share

Pallbearers was an old Wigan tune, can't ever remember seeing it on Delphi, in fact this is the first I've heard of it on that label, usualy found on Fontana, if memory serves, used to have a W/D back in the day. Someone said that Tim Brown has a full set of Delphi releases.

Have a Prophets for sale, if anyones interested! thumbsup.gif

I have the pallbearers on delphi, had it a while nowgood.gif

Social source share

• 6 years later...
Guest Steve A

Found this forum by accident. I saw several comments in the thread that I'd like to make mention of. For starters..I am Steve Allen, the original drummer on the record by The Pallbearers, Music With Soul. Someone commented they have never seen it on Delphi. Delphi was our original self produced effort. Later, when signed to Mercury records, they put us on the Fontana label and re-released the single. Someone commented that the name was horrid. Yes...we were young, full of ideas and generally stupid. Mercury wanted us to change our name, but we were making pretty good money in the South East US ( mostly college fraternities) and worried that we would lose the following we had created...and we were stupid. Someone mentioned Roy Smith as part of the Prophets. He wrote for us, Billy and Barbara and the  Prophets (later The Prophets, later still The Georgia Prophets) himself and many others.  Roy was never a member of the Prophets. Delphi was the go to DIY label in our area. I have never understood how that label worked or who owned it. I always assumed it was Roy Smith. Dan Penn also had a band called The Pallbearers. He was actually quite a bit more successful than we were, a popular songwriter. Coming out of New Orleans (where funeral bands were prominent) the band name made sense. For us, not so much ;>) It's nice to know that one of our tunes was popular in the Northern Soul scene, so thanks to you all.

Best regards,

Steve Allen

Social source share

Nice post Steve. I like the Delphi label, as do plenty others. A true local, minor independent but with several good releases. The Prophets have the distinction of releasing one of the most highly regarded Northern records of all time plus a number of more widely available, catchy tunes.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
Typo
Social source share

Guest Steve A

Thank you Frankie C. We were in friendly competition with The Prophets. In fact Billy and Barbara Scott and Tommy Witcher (All from The Prophets) contributed to our second single on Fontana. The Pallbearers and The Prophets all crowded into Peachtree Recording Studio in Atlanta at 2 in the morning...just making music...good times...

Social source share

On 8 November 2009 at 10:45, reforee said:

Dave Halsall

TMIB

I've got a mint copy of it Dave, wonderful record as you say.

Social source share

On 8 November 2009 at 12:37, Russ Vickers said:

Any chance of sending a clip Dave pse.

Thank you.

Russ

Rus I think I have it up on You tube just put kiddasouldj in and a few of my tunes come up and Roy's up there. Cheers Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert