6ts 100 Club Jan 20th All Nighter Cancelled

Hi Ady

Sorry to hear the news but certain the 6Ts, as it always has done, will bounce back. Been many years since I ventured down the stairs and spun into the pillars,or shared sweat and laffs with Keb, helped Taff back to his chair etc but have fond happy memories of the club and, and this is the important part, the people as they are the club, not the venue. Everything changes but you, hang on thats a Take That quote! Onwards and upwards mate.

Social source share

• Replies 151
  • Views 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Flippin', flippin', flippin' heck! :sleep3:

The end of an era indeed-6ts at the 100 club has been around for the whole of my adult life. I started going in my teens, (if you are trying to work out how old I am, I actually started going when I was just 3 years old!)

How will I cope? My car doesn't know how to get to South London. Is there a different dress code? Oh, I don't know about this at all.

Three cheers for all the fab times we had there. :wub::shades::)

Truly sad news .

Good luck and success to you Ady , wherever you lay your hat .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Wigan;Cleethorpes;Clifton hall;Stafford;RSG;and loads of others..........had to get over them.........100club,i`m over it now.

London Bridge 6ts allnighters,bring em` on :wub:

Social source share

Only been to the 100 Club a handful of times, but this is a shock. Can't see how they've just cancelled all bookings at such short notice. I'm sure Ady and the rest of the 6T's crew will get the support that they deserve in whatever venue (be that Jacks or another) they secure for future nighters.

The King Is Dead, Long Live The King! :wub:

Social source share

got my m8 PETE GENT pickin us up fae airport,sure he can find something 4 u,s.

if not, knowing him it wont b a wsted journey whistling.gif

F**k me your well f**ked then Pete cant even find him self let alone another do on befor hand :unsure:

Still cant beleive this is happening, been wandering round thinking my god its not true sad.gif

Still its time for the new and the 6ts nighters will still lead the way and be #1 in my book, and like befor i will support every one possible, as long as the people are still there it will be the 100 club where ever we lay our hats!

Memorys its 7am the music is the loudest nighter you've ever been to (well for me anyway) and Mick Smith is pumping this out the speakers

7114 refosoul

Social source share

What a shame, a great venue, loved it, I went to nighters in the 60s and the 100 Club reminded me of those times, going down those stairs into that dimly lit basement was always a thrill, it epitomized the all-nighter for me.....had some great nights there, at least it went out with a bang Ady, last months was what the 100 Club was all about and I'm really glad I made the effort......anyway let's take it to the..err..Bridge rolleyes.gif ....now then..where's that street map....hopefully see you in March :unsure:

Social source share

Guest stevemcmahon

While fully appreciating the sentiments of those regulars who frequented & supported the 100 club throughout the years, I for one am actually delighted to hear you're back on the move again! As an original member and staunch supporter from day 1 in Covent Garden, through West Hampstead, the Thames boat trips & was it even Putney & or Wimbledon FC [or were those Clarkey & Mike's do's?], even to the Empire State Soul Club! Anyroadup, I can't wait for the 6Ts Rhythm & Soul Club to once again take it to the streets.. wicked.gif GOOD LUCK & ALL THE BEST, ADY !!

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I am well shocked by this. I have been a regular there the past year since I moved over from Dublin. I learned to Soul dance from a video shot there in the 8ts that I had growing up in the west of Ireland.What a club. Great tunes, vibe and people. The 6ts Rhythm and Soul society will still get my 100% support and I will be there for the inaugral night at the new venue in March. 100 club was a great venue though. The tunes and people are what makes a club and the new venue will hopefully have the same spirit. Long live 6ts Rhythm and Soul!!!!!

Social source share

Oh Ady - totally shocked and believe it or not speechless! Know I took a break in the late 80's/early 90's but from its early days right thru till now have always enjoyed the music and the people so much.

Johnny's club is an ideal alternative tho and perhaps even an advantage if the Anniversay is put on there with regards more numbers able to attend.

Chin up m8 and keep on keeping on!

Social source share

Sad news - end of an era for many, even though I havent gone to 100 club for a while, I have many good memories. I started going in the early 80s, and meet many great people there, who maybe I wouldnt have met otherwise. But of course, its sad being one of the longest running clubs too that it cant continue to be. To me personally its also sad that something that Randy started with Ady has come to an end, but the memory of Randy standing at the bar will never end.

Karen B

Social source share

Sad news - end of an era for many, even though I havent gone to 100 club for a while, I have many good memories. I started going in the early 80s, and meet many great people there, who maybe I wouldnt have met otherwise. But of course, its sad being one of the longest running clubs too that it cant continue to be. To me personally its also sad that something that Randy started with Ady has come to an end, but the memory of Randy standing at the bar will never end.

Karen B

Social source share

I know its been a fair few years, But I was the girl from the 100 club

I grew up there, my first ever nighter, my favourite ever nighter - and probably the place I hold dearest to my heart

I've so many memories that I wouldn't know where to begin

Good luck in the new place, and you never know you may just see me soon xxxx

Social source share

im truly gutted especially as i havent been anywhere for near on a year 100 was gonna be my re-entrance back into the thick of things...from the first time i lied about my age to get a membership its always been as mark put it " the holy grail " of soul music...thankfully i have dj'ed there which was the crowning glory of my soul life its disheartening but as is also mentioned the jocks and punters made it what it is...and of course ady's dedication....

RIP 100 club :unsure:

cookie wicked.gif

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

We have been a few times and .....yea it will be missed there was something special about the place... good luck for the future ady.. Andy and gina.

Social source share

I know it's only a building, but my God, what a building it is.

World famous for Jazz, but within our world even more famous as THE venue ! Like others, I've always thought that to DJ at the 100 Club, was the pinnacle, you couldn't get any higher. I've been fortunate enough to be a guest there at least once a year for probably the last ten years nearly, and I've loved every minute of it. When I set my DJing diary up for the year, the 100 Club dates always go in as well, and in the past I've actually turned bookings down because I wanted to go as a punter to the 100.

Such a loss. So if that's how we are feeling, I can't imagine how Ady feels. Knowing Ady though I'm sure he'll dust himself off, get back up, and as he says, move the 6Ts to another venue. After all, it was the 6Ts Rhythm & Soul Club that we attended, in a building that happened to be called the 100 Club.

Onwards, and upwards (Jacks is ground level not a cellar)

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I know Randy Cozens and everyone involved in the club in its 27 year history wouldn't want us to give up our legacy to London's soul scene with this set back.

No he wouldn't - he'd probably say 'f*** it, I'll go and play me Maxine Brown records somewhere else then'.... :lol: From the Bedford Arms/ Head to infinity :lol:

I am therefore happy to announce that through the generosity of club owner Johnny Gammel we have acquired his excellent "Jack's" club at London Bridge for the next scheduled nighter Saturday 10th March from 10pm-7am.

An excellent choice of venue and a venue owner who has a genuine passion for the music thumbsup.gif The start time is sensible - 10pm will be much better for everyone - and a proper finishing time....7am. Also near mainline and tube stations with direct links to airports for the long distance soulies.

Of course the original 6TS club started in Covent Garden in 1979 and moved all over the capital until finally settling on the 100 Club for all nighters some two years later. We're used to being itinerants from the early days...

Traipsing all over the place, we were, like soul nomads :lol: ...but the whole point was that although the bricks and mortar changed each time, the 'soul' of the night never did.

Each time we have moved, the club went from strength to strength and I'm sure that will be the case again.

It will be, Ady....this has happened for a reason...and it's an opportunity for eveyone to turn what seems to be a soul dilema into something amazing and positive :unsure: With the new longer hours, you'll be able to feature even more djs - fledgling and seasoned. There will be a surge of the '6Ts' spirit - the first night you open the doors of the first 6Ts allnighter at Jacks will have the same sense of anticipation and excitement as there was back on the first night at the 100..... I know it's very sad for everyone involved to see the end of an era but the new refreshed nighters at Jacks will be fabulous.

Remember, being a 6Ts Rhythm & Soul Clubber is for life - not just at the 100 Club. Break a leg, Ady....it's going to be a big thing yes.gif Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Well said Jo Wallace! Covent Garden seems like a long time ago now, West Hampstead half a lifetime ago - how great were those nights - but as we all know nothing lasts forever, so on to the next one. People will still be the same, will look forward to it!!

Best wishes Ady.

Alan

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

05 - while it lasted.mp3 - -

13372 refosoul

Perhaps one of the mods could combine the two threads in Events & All About with Ady's message as the first post.... thumbsup.gif Jo

Social source share

Just read this and I'm shockked & stunned really. The 100 was top of my list of nighters to get to once I've sold me pub. Always quality and an atmosphere that would be worth a fortune if you could bottle it.

Thank you so much Ady for putting this on year after year and all the best for the new chapter, hope to get along later this year.

Cheers

Paul

(gutted tho sad.gif )

Social source share

Gutted,

But as Jo has said we had to move around London in the old days untill we found it.(Last Chance Saloon,Henry's ,West Hampstead,)

We still kept it going for the love of our scene,as member #25 i shall continue to attend any venue the 6ts promote.

Got some great memories of the 100 club,seen some superb acts in there (not just the soul stars).

We've seen em come and go and like all 6ts members we will continue to do so,so lets ALL get down to "jacks" and support our beloved 6ts.

see you all there then.

Social source share

I thought there would be loads of posts about this...But I think most people are speachless. Far too many cliche's etc. Yes defo a huge dent in the changing world of 'Northern Soul'

Best of luck for the future of 6t's Rythm and Soul Ady,

Len.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Just read this and I'm shockked & stunned really. The 100 was top of my list of nighters to get to once I've sold me pub. Always quality and an atmosphere that would be worth a fortune if you could bottle it.

Thank you so much Ady for putting this on year after year and all the best for the new chapter, hope to get along later this year.

Cheers

Paul

(gutted tho :unsure: )

And may the These Old Shoes collective take this opportunity to thank Ady for allowing us to bring our little soul club onto the stage at the 100 Club and to inflict our mayhem on the assembled throng...captured on video but always in our hearts....what a night thumbsup.gif

Jo

Social source share

I Just can't speak!!!

The best allnighter for us since 1992 and I will miss it. So many memories all of them good ones.

One of the best nights was hearing all the RCA records one after the other.

So thanks Mark,Mick Smith, Greg, Shifty. Ian Clarke and all the other DJ's over the years for making it such a special place and especially Ady.

Social source share

Well I've had a spell of mourning, licked my wounds and am ready to face the Northern soul world again.

Thank you very much indeed for all the messages of sympathy and support, I've been inundated with texts, E-mails, PMs, phone calls, phone messages and of course all these genuinely emotional postings on here. "My chiffon is wet" as Disco Tex and the Sexolettes once sang.

I would like to point out that there hasn't been a change of ownership at the 100 Club for the past fifty years, except for father passing it on to his sons. Jeff who is running it now has always supported us and used to stick up for us against his father when we've had similar problems in the past. I'm meeting with him next week to see if we can salvage something from our relationship and I'm confident that we can and will; it's just a matter of how much. Whatever happens we'll definitely be at Jack's on March 10th and I can confirm that Little Johnny Weston will be appearing as one of our guest DJs.

The situation with the 100 Club is quite complex, there are at least three separate matters to be dealt with and I would ask for privacy over this until things are sorted either way. Speculation isn't much use until the full facts are out. So please give only positive comments about our time at the club and show no bitterness over our sudden and unexpected departure.

The next practical step I will take however will be to attend the Mousetrap R&B all nighter, tonight with Donna and anyone else who cares to join us in a mini wake at the Blackstock pub opposite beforehand. They have really bad pub entertainment and cheap beer; it's a genuine cockney/Irish/Jamaican local and an absolute hoot.

Social source share

Guest claude rains

Received a text last night while I was out having a drink, decided I needed a few more.

I knew it would happen one day, though a complete shock when it actually happens.

Peole ask where were you when you heard about 9/11, well for me its the same for The 100 Club.

To me The 100 Club was a place that held so many memories, friendships and relationships forged during hot sweaty nights in a what seemed a magical secret world that was our own, made by us.

The venue itself evoking memories from bands and other events. Its hallowed walls steeped in music legend, filled with posters of artists who visited and performed going back over 60 years, maybe more.

Will never forget the fond memories of times spent at the 100 Club Allnighters and forever hold them dear to my heart.

A big thanks to Ady, Butch, Mick, Greg, Val, Roger, Randy, Shifty and all the guests for making it what it was.

Can't get over these memories, God bless you Ady.

Will be at jacks in march to show solidarity and support for a new Era.

Love & Best Wishes D.Taylor.

Social source share

Terrible news about about the 100 club but I know that for Ady and the rest of the guys this will be a challenge that they will overcome with even greater success in the future.

Unfortunately we all have memories of great Soul nights around the country (Not just the big venues) that have closed for various reasons and its usually a big mistake by the owners of the clubs who always think wrongly thats it is only about money.

Sometimes the owners come back to you when they realise they have made a mistake but a lot of the time its too late as the soul punters have moved on to other venues.

After the lenghth of time that Ady has been loyal to the 100 club they should have at least honoured the dates for 2007 but I guess honour and loyalty are two words they wouldnt understand.

As somebody else has said its all about the music and the people on the scene and not the bricks and mortar

so we will all still be attending 60's Rhythm & Soul nights in London for many years to come.

As Ady said at last years anniversary roll on 50.

I was always delighted when Ady asked me to D.J. and always will be extremely honoured to have played a small part in making the past nights good and the future nights hopefully something special.

Still is and always will be my favourite venue no matter what building its in!!

Look forward to seeing you all soon

Keith

Social source share

Just been talking to Lenny D about this, i said we both met our wives at the 100 club, he said Ady is responsible for more births and marriges than Barry White.

When i think back on previous nighters Yate, Stafford etc, i remember the music but when i think of the 100 club, even though it introduced me to more new music than i could ever remember, its the people i think of. Thats testimont to what Ady and Randy created, Thank you so so much. I know that Ady will create this again wherever we wind up, God bless.

M

Social source share

Have so many memories from this great club, travelling down with the Stoke boyos, Dave Alcock RIP, Blondie, Butch, Tim in the 80s.

Sorry to read that its gone or going to go !

I'm sure Ady will venture on as a true soulie/promotor etc, etc as he is, its not only the place but it was the sound played by so many jocks over the years that you normally would not hear anywhere else in the country.

Keep it real and all the best on future ventures

shute

Social source share

Very sad news indeed.

I haven't been a regular there since the mid-90s, but I did have the pleasure of playing a spot there in November 1986 (will always be thankful to you for that Ady). I took Elaine to her first niter (and so far, her only one) there in May 2004 and, for someone who is not strictly into the music, let alone a niter, she absolutely enjoyed it; the ambience really impressed her.

I got the bad news from Shane Cox when he phoned me last night. He, as you can imagine, is absolutely devastated as, I guess, many others are. It is the sad end of an era - I was there in 1982 when it was just taking off.

Good luck with a new niter venue Ady, and thanks for everything over the past couple of decades.

Gene

Social source share

Very sad news indeed.

I haven't been a regular there since the mid-90s, but I did have the pleasure of playing a spot there in November 1986 (will always be thankful to you for that Ady). I took Elaine to her first niter (and so far, her only one) there in May 2004 and, for someone who is not strictly into the music, let alone a niter, she absolutely enjoyed it; the ambience really impressed her.

I first met you there Gene. You burned a hole in my best black Fred perry because you were dancing holding a cigarette. Hated you ever since.. :thumbsup:

Social source share

JUST HAD EMAIL FROM ADY SAYING THE 100 CLUB IS GONE, NO MORE UNTIL POSSIBLY LATER ON IN THE YEAR AND THEN IT MIGHT ONLY BE 9-3, JANUARY DATE MOVED TO A CLUB IN LONDON BRIDGE, I FORSEE MASS SUICIDE ON THIS SITE TONIGHT!! :boxing:

BLT :shades:

oh my god had some awesome nights down here over the years all through the 80's right up till last year haven't been since due to a knee injury keepin me off the floor good luck ady hope you get things sorted

atb steve.p :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest MonkeyMod

A real shame but what an amazing achievement to the 6T's Rhythm & Soul Society for keeping it at the 100 Club for 27 (or whatever it is) years.

First went in around 1985 and have enjoyed them throughout the years. Will

miss them but what a legacy it leaves behind. Huge congratulations.

Real pity we didn't get a chance of a proper send-off but see ya at Jacks.

Mark

Social source share

Ive done the 100 club a couple of times as a jock and many times as a paying punter...The latter is far more enjoyable imho. Most on here who have been in a similar situation will hopefully understand what I'm attempting to say.

When the Torch closed I was depressed, when the Peterboro Wirrina closed I was distraught, when The Casino closed I was so far removed I didn't even know it was still going.

Adi and the rest of the team, roll your sleeves up, stick your chests out and move on with dignity, every clould......etc.

100 club memory..." Adi, thats better than my wifes fanny"

KTF

Paul,

The 100 club,is not that big :thumbsup:

A Great Club :boxing::shades:

Kev.

Social source share

As one of Ady's original 100 club djs I would just like to say how sad I am for him and all the regulars at the loss of this legendary venue and wish everyone luck with the new (temporary?) home. Although I haven't been there for a long time I have fond memories of many great nights there.

Tony E

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert