Music Merchant, Different Colours

Larsc

I've tried asking this question on two forums so far with no result. Help me before I run out of people to ask :wicked:

During my time collecting Music Merchant 45s I've every now and then come across blue logo copies. Someone once told me they were 2nd issues. In a discussion following a recent purchase both the seller and I came to realise that none of us know anything certain about the situation.

So, blue logos first or second issues ? Or west- / eastcoast differences maybe?

I've looked through all my copies and have found that out of 20 copies (three doubles included):

- six are vinyl the rest styrene

- two are on blue logo, both vinyl

- blue logo has "arp" in deadwax

- blue logo deadwax numbers are slightly different

(MS 1004 Brotherly Love Mama's little baby (loves lovin')/Bingo 10703PA-11 / 10721PA-3 arp vinyl)

(MS 1004 Brotherly Love Mama's little baby (loves lovin')/Bingo 10703PA-15 / 10721PA-8 styrene)

So what's the situation with these ? :thumbsup:

post-1660-1154123837.jpg

post-1660-1154123851.jpg

post-1660-1154123862.jpg

post-1660-1154123871.jpg

Edited by LarsC
Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I've tried asking this question on two forums so far with no result. Help me before I run out of people to ask :wicked:

During my time collecting Music Merchant 45s I've every now and then come across blue logo copies. Someone once told me they were 2nd issues. In a discussion following a recent purchase both the seller and I came to realise that none of us know anything certain about the situation.

I've looked through all my copies and have found that out of 20 copies (three doubles included):

(MS 1004 Brotherly Love Mama's little baby (loves lovin')/Bingo 10703PA-11 / 10721PA-3 arp vinyl)

(MS 1004 Brotherly Love Mama's little baby (loves lovin')/Bingo 10703PA-15 / 10721PA-8 styrene)

Nice copy of Just Brothers - Tears Ago / Sliced Tomatoes MS-1002 DJ - Released again on 1010

I've got Just Brothers - Tears Ago / Sliced Tomatoes MS-1002 DJ and Eloise Laws - Love Factory / Stay With Me - MS-1013 DJ

I will check them both and get back to you with Matrix etc

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

With every label distributed nationwide they are usually using several pressing plants to cut out shipping costs. You wll often ex[erience differnces ie Vinyl to styrene, different paper, various shades of colour in the logo's or text.

Rememebering the pressing plants are using different printers for the labels and perhaps different material for the press.

They are ALL originals and i'm pretty sure you can find all titles in the SAME format if you want your label run to match.

Social source share

With every label distributed nationwide they are usually using several pressing plants to cut out shipping costs. You wll often ex[erience differnces ie Vinyl to styrene, different paper, various shades of colour in the logo's or text.

Rememebering the pressing plants are using different printers for the labels and perhaps different material for the press.

They are ALL originals and i'm pretty sure you can find all titles in the SAME format if you want your label run to match.

I'm happy as long as they're all original :wicked: It's really strange that they would allow such differences in colour in their logo but I guess that's the way it was before the graphic designers took control :ohmy:

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm happy as long as they're all original :yes: It's really strange that they would allow such differences in colour in their logo but I guess that's the way it was before the graphic designers took control :yes:

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Hi

I know that your question has now been answered. As I had already scanned them I thought it would show the different label variation on the Eloise Laws copy compared to yours. BOTH are STYRENE - The MS 1002 DJ - Same as yours (B' Side) "Sliced Tomatoes"

Music_Merchant_MS_1002_DJ.jpgMusic_Merchant_MS_1013_DJ.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Thanks !

It's interesting to see how many variations there are. There is so far no indication that the size of the fonts used have anything to do with it being on vinyl or styrene. Your Eloise Laws has big fonts and it's styrene, mine has small fonts and it's vinyl. But the blue logo's are also on vinyl but they have big fonts like your Eloise Laws.

Maybe it's not possible to find a rule as to how they look ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert