The 81 - Candy & The Kisses

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Bicks

Desperately need someone to show how to dance "The 81" ...

You start off with one fat lady (like in bingo) and stand her next to a really skinny bloke, and that's it basically.

Social source share

I never made it any further than 69.... :lol:

I saw it back in the 70's as a guest of my good friend Jerry Blavat, the legendary 'Geator with the Heator' DJ from Philadelphia, at one of his 'Record Hops'(over 30's handbag night to you and me).

No idea how to do it, but it was a sort of line dance type thingy.

For the record, Kenny Gamble and Jerry Ross wrote the song with JB in mind, as his hot play on Radio at the time was 'In My Lonely Room' -Martha and the Vandellas. The 81 is almost identical in melody.

Apparently 'the ol geator' is still mixing the two together at one of his gigs in Feasterville, New Jersey on a weekly basis!

More totally useless but hopefully entertaining trivia......soon.

Now back to Hippo and his 69........(hello mate) biggrin.gif

Kev

Social source share

[ :Pquote name='sunnysoul' date='Apr 16 09, 11:46 AM' post='1050500']

Been told that it's a cross between the Philly Dog and the Jerk

Does anybody know what the above look like,or The 81,or come to thing of it The Swim,Mash Potato,Skate or Boogaloo do

..................And what about The Watusi?? :lol:

Here's the master himself James Brown in a dance studio demonstrating how to do some of soul's greatest dances like the Boogaloo and Mashed potatoes ...

">
Social source share

I saw it back in the 70's as a guest of my good friend Jerry Blavat, the legendary 'Geator with the Heator' DJ from Philadelphia, at one of his 'Record Hops'(over 30's handbag night to you and me).

No idea how to do it, but it was a sort of line dance type thingy.

For the record, Kenny Gamble and Jerry Ross wrote the song with JB in mind, as his hot play on Radio at the time was 'In My Lonely Room' -Martha and the Vandellas. The 81 is almost identical in melody.

Apparently 'the ol geator' is still mixing the two together at one of his gigs in Feasterville, New Jersey on a weekly basis!

More totally useless but hopefully entertaining trivia......soon.

Now back to Hippo and his 69........(hello mate) biggrin.gif

Kev

You want trivia Kev? "The 81" was played on the first day of broadcasting on Wonderful Radio London (quite topical with the Boat film doing the rounds at the moment) - don't know if it featured in the test transmissions, but they must have brought it over on the "Galaxy" from Florida.

Imagine doing the 81 at sea... :)

All the best

Hippo.

Social source share

You want trivia Kev? "The 81" was played on the first day of broadcasting on Wonderful Radio London (quite topical with the Boat film doing the rounds at the moment) - don't know if it featured in the test transmissions, but they must have brought it over on the "Galaxy" from Florida.

Imagine doing the 81 at sea... :D

All the best

Hippo.

Should the Mashed Potato come back into fashion , get yourself ready by following these instuctions ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I wonder if a legendary UK record producer might be doing a Northern Soul 2009 version called (dance) AT 81, for todays scene?

Hat

Coat etc

Social source share

[ :Pquote name='sunnysoul' date='Apr 16 09, 11:46 AM' post='1050500']

..................And what about The Watusi?? biggrin.gif

Apparently, the Watusi is like a hand-wave in the air. If you watch the bit on Quadrophenia, immediately after Sting has danced (if you can call it that) to Louie Louie, you can see the Watusi in action in the background.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert