Sam Fletcher

44 minutes ago, Roburt said:

Sam appeared on a top Italian TV show in 1963, thanks to RCA records.

HOWEVER, this was before the Beatles / Stones breakthrough, so the music they wanted US stars to perform on this RAI Saturday night peak time show was very M-O-R ....

SamFletcherInfo2.jpg

well done.

found this too

just need you to track down:

[episode 48] Della Reese Show
13Aug1969 [Press-Telegram]
recurring: Sandy Baron
Guests:
actor Art Metrano
singer Sam Fletcher
and comedian Rodney Dangerfield.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

From John's description of the shop it is almost certainly the same one that me and Terry (Francis "Mr Tee) found in 77. We had spent two weeks travelling by bus from New York to Miami as a sort of holiday/sight seeing trip with frequent diversions to record shops and distributors. We were staying at a Holiday Inn in Miami Beach and one evening went looking for somewhere to eat. On the way we came across a large record shop which had all LPs on display but a small glass counter at the back with singles stacked up. From these we found about a hundred great titles. The owner said there were more in the back but they were $1 each and we had to buy at least 100. The first room had shelves on three sides but loads of stuff piled up exactly how John described it. The owner kicked us out as he was closing but we went back next day to go through the first back room. The records we found were the same as John said- St Lawrence, Chess, Constellation, Tuff, Special Agent and Champion. Some other labels but none of the majors, indie West Coast or Motown.

Even after a whole day we hadn't gone through everything in this room as there was so much stuff in the way. We could see another room off this one but to get in you'd have to squeeze on top of a big fridge through the door frame. We had to get back to New York by bus in three days so couldn't wait. In the end we hired a car to take us and the records back to a shipper in New Jersey and then to the airport. 

I'd think the Sam Fletcher records must have been in the room we couldn't get in. There weren't any in the stuff we looked through as I'd have taken at least 25. The record "I'd Think It Over" had been a huge record in the Belgian Popcorn scene from the early 70s ( getting a re-press in Belgium). Also it's the type of record and artist that the Japanese collectors would have bought.

Our visit was in 77 , June to be exact as I still have my travel docs and see that on the 24th I paid the shop owner ,Jack Howard $300, and car rental on the 27th. John says the owner died in 76 but either he got this wrong or someone else was looking after the shop. I'd think the owner , Howard, recovered but died sometime after our visit. He was a right grumpy old man with a foul mouth and bad temper, so a heart attack is quite likely.

I've no idea what happened to the stock and thousands of Sam Fletcher. I'd heard that @Dave Raistrick found the shop after us but perhaps Dave or Rod would let us know.

I vaguely remember the shop owner told us someone else from the UK had been there before us but wouldn't pay a dollar each, (50 cents or less was the norm back then). Was this John?

Edited by Rick Cooper
addition
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

9 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

From John's description of the shop it is almost certainly the same one that me and Terry (Francis "Mr Tee) found in 77. We had spent two weeks travelling by bus from New York to Miami as a sort of holiday/sight seeing trip with frequent diversions to record shops and distributors. We were staying at a Holiday Inn in Miami Beach and one evening went looking for somewhere to eat. On the way we came across a large record shop which had all LPs on display but a small glass counter at the back with singles stacked up. From these we found about a hundred great titles. The owner said there were more in the back but they were $1 each and we had to buy at least 100. The first room had shelves on three sides but loads of stuff piled up exactly how John described it. The owner kicked us out as he was closing but we went back next day to go through the first back room. The records we found were the same as John said- St Lawrence, Chess, Constellation, Tuff, Special Agent and Champion. Some other labels but none of the majors, indie West Coast or Motown.

Even after a whole day we hadn't gone through everything in this room as there was so much stuff in the way. We could see another room off this one but to get in you'd have to squeeze on top of a big fridge through the door frame. We had to get back to New York by bus in three days so couldn't wait. In the end we hired a car to take us and the records back to a shipper in New Jersey and then to the airport. 

I'd think the Sam Fletcher records must have been in the room we couldn't get in. There weren't any in the stuff we looked through as I'd have taken at least 25. The record "I'd Think It Over" had been a huge record in the Belgian Popcorn scene from the early 70s ( getting a re-press in Belgium). Also it's the type of record and artist that the Japanese collectors would have bought.

Our visit was in 77 , June to be exact as I still have my travel docs and see that on the 24th I paid the shop owner ,Jack Howard $300, and car rental on the 27th. John says the owner died in 76 but either he got this wrong or someone else was looking after the shop. I'd think the owner , Howard, recovered but died sometime after our visit. He was a right grumpy old man with a foul mouth and bad temper, so a heart attack is quite likely.

I've no idea what happened to the stock and thousands of Sam Fletcher. I'd heard that @Dave Raistrick found the shop after us but perhaps Dave or Rod would let us know.

I vaguely remember the shop owner told us someone else from the UK had been there before us but wouldn't pay a dollar each, (50 cents or less was the norm back then). Was this John?

When you say "re-press" in Belgium I think you mean......

Sounds like the same place though and if Dave went there can you ask him please if the tag does not get a reply and let us know

http://starsandstripesimports.com/

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 26/10/2024 at 01:29, Blackpoolsoul said:

Sam sang on this wonderful Jazz track for Harper film score

We are so taken back!, I had no idea My father sang on this album!, simply mind blowing!, I'm just looking and in shock listening i can believe it that's my father singing.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Troy Fletcher said:

Again thank goodness for your response!, I hope you understand to me this is mind blowing!;how and where did you find this great picture!, I've never seen this before!

That picture was taken from the September 1, 1962 issue of Cashbox magazine.

Here's something you might be interested in.  I don't think the project ever got off the ground but would have been quite an album. I know Betty and Jerry did team up for the "Delicious Together album". From Record World- July 18,1964-

Porgy.jpg

Edited by The Yank
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, The Yank said:

That picture was taken from the September 1, 1962 issue of Cashbox magazine.

Here's something you might be interested in.  I don't think the project ever got off the ground but would have been quite an album. I know Betty and Jerry did team up for the "Delicious Together album". From Record World- July 18,1964-

Porgy.jpg

I guess we will never know, what with Vee-Jays problems, why Tollie only released 2 LP's. Perhaps chaos was all around the business and that's why Tollie was shelved in 1965 as a label, albeit that Vee-Jay carried on fighting the law suits turning up 

https://www.bsnpubs.com/veejay/tollie.html

I find Jay's Jay Lasker quote saying, "We plan to concentrate heavily on the current type of pop single for Tollie. This will differentiate Tollie from Vee-Jay's policy of being r&b oriented." to be fascinating, but perhaps that had influence.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!