Tell The Truth Does Anyone Buy Blind Amymore?

Tell the truth does anyone buy blind anymore.If im buying nice cheapish seventies items particulary via ebay etc ill always have a flutter got some pieces last week,Jesse green,Consmer Rapport,Lovely Whispers track on Janus.

Sixties seems a bit harder imo,over the years ive massed a bucket load of stuff,just wondered how far people would go financally for a blind buy these days?

BAZ A wink.gif

Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Tell the truth does anyone buy blind anymore.If im buying nice cheapish seventies items particulary via ebay etc ill always have a flutter got some pieces last week,Jesse green,Consmer Rapport,Lovely Whispers track on Janus.

Sixties seems a bit harder imo,over the years ive massed a bucket load of stuff,just wondered how far people would go financally for a blind buy these days?

BAZ A wink.gif

Baz. Last thing i bought blind was Tony Middleton.Return to spanish harlem. Speed 7" Think i paid £15 maybe £20 I know it aint a lot financially and i only bought it because of the label :ohmy: but it turned out to be a half decent tune and i recently got rid of it for some decent trades ( thanks Adam )

Remember paying £50 for a Freddie Paris, There she goes. RCA Dj many years back.

Steve

Social source share

I like to have a blind punt but only on the cheap, mostly 60s. Ive ended up with some real junk but now and again I get a really pleasant shock. Always fun waiting for an unknown brown package. Bit like buying the lottery ticket, I sometimes put off playing it to extend the suspense = value for money. I bought Lavell Hardy - What Kind of Woman on Rojac blind a couple of years ago, still in my play box. Still cheap but bloody good. Dean

Social source share

Baz. Last thing i bought blind was Tony Middleton.Return to spanish harlem. Speed 7" Think i paid £15 maybe £20 I know it aint a lot financially and i only bought it because of the label biggrin.gif but it turned out to be a half decent tune and i recently got rid of it for some decent trades ( thanks Adam )

Remember paying £50 for a Freddie Paris, There she goes. RCA Dj many years back.

Steve

If this has Already Satisfied on the flip it's been gpoing through ebay for well over £100+, or at least the last two I've seen have.

Social source share

Baz. Last thing i bought blind was Tony Middleton.Return to spanish harlem. Speed 7" Think i paid £15 maybe £20 I know it aint a lot financially and i only bought it because of the label :ohmy: but it turned out to be a half decent tune and i recently got rid of it for some decent trades ( thanks Adam )

Steve

nice mate

BAZ A wink.gif

Social source share

If this has Already Satisfied on the flip it's been gpoing through ebay for well over £100+, or at least the last two I've seen have.

Dean. If its the Tony middleton your on about. JM auctioned a speed 12" for over £200 and i would have thought the 7" was rarer. The Freddie Paris has got Young hearts, young hands on the flip

Steve

Social source share

I like to have a blind punt but only on the cheap, mostly 60s. Ive ended up with some real junk but now and again I get a really pleasant shock. Always fun waiting for an unknown brown package. Bit like buying the lottery ticket, I sometimes put off playing it to extend the suspense = value for money. I bought Lavell Hardy - What Kind of Woman on Rojac blind a couple of years ago, still in my play box. Still cheap but bloody good. Dean

NICE LOVE LAVELL HARDY FUNILY ENOUGH I BOUGHT GOT TO GET A GROOVE BYTHE SAME ARTISTE BLIND ON ROJAC AND THAT TURNED OUT VERY GOOD FOR $10. wink.gif

BAZ A

Social source share

BAZ A wink.gif

What i do baz, is let you do it then await your postings in the media section :ohmy::D bit of a cowards way to do it i know wicked.gif

Social source share

What i do baz, is let you do it then await your postings in the media section :ohmy::D bit of a cowards way to do it i know wicked.gif

Nice one mate,it is good to check the threads out deffo so much stuff in there now most of which can be picked up at more than resonable prices.

BAZ A wink.gif

Social source share

got 2 great 45s by marcus daniel one on plaza and one on monkey town. Unknown to me at the time I bid although I suspect fairly well known 45s to others. I was the only bidder on each at $20 a piece. :lol:

had quite a few duff ones as well. Something by the wrong chosen few which turned out to be a terrible pop song :lol:

Social source share

got 2 great 45s by marcus daniel one on plaza and one on monkey town. Unknown to me at the time I bid although I suspect fairly well known 45s to others. I was the only bidder on each at $20 a piece. :lol:

had quite a few duff ones as well. Something by the wrong chosen few which turned out to be a terrible pop song :lol:

:lol: i picked that CF up too dissapointed as it was on RCA

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i haven't bought blind for a long time , i think when you start collecting buying blind is great but these days the stuff i buy is SO specific that i have to hear at least a soundclip

Social source share

KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN I BOUGHT THE INSIGHTS ON RCA THINKING IT WAS THE PEACOCK OUT FIT ,HOW WRONG WAS I :lol:

BAZ A

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Best blind buys? Anything by Clarence Carter, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder....

...sorry, couldn't resist, and really don't mean to cause any offense either :lol:

I still 'fish in the dark' from time to time, but mostly on tunes where there's a familiar writer or producer, or that are on a label that usually delivers the goods. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. As long as the price isn't OTT, it's still not a bad way to tick the collection over while waiting for your real wants to come along.

Social source share

I do, and the last three I bought at $9 each from the same guy they were S****, they look good but sound awful..saying that the Malcolm Dodds is ok but not really my cup of tea if you know what I mean, I love the label though...

Mal.C :lol:

post-2025-1239265983_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1239266540_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1239266563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

I AGREE WITH THE LAST 4 POSTS PARTICULARY PIKEY AND TNYS IT IS A GOOD WAY TO KEEP TICKING OVER IVE JUST GOT A ONE LAST NIGHT ON THE CHI LAND SOUL LOGO [WHICH INST IN THE BOOK]BY ERNEST FRANKLIN AND THE GROUP ITS CALLED MY LIFE AND I OT IT 20US,QUITE EXCITED ABOUT IT I REALLY HOPE ERNEST DOS NOT SING OR TURN OUT TO BE IGGY POP LOL,ALHOUGH THE STOOGES WERNT HALF BAD.

BAZ A :thumbsup:

Social source share

I do, and the last three I bought at $9 each from the same guy they were S****, they look good but sound awful..saying that the Malcolm Dodds is ok but not really my cup of tea if you know what I mean, I love the label though...

Mal.C :thumbsup:

AHHH BLESS DONE THIS SO OFTEN YOU HAVE SET AN IDEA OFF THOUGH TO PUT ALL THEM TOGETHER UNDER BLIND SHITE IN HE SALES SETION laugh.gif

PS IVE BEN A SUCKER FOR SASSY LOGOS FOR 32 YEARS ITS A HARD HABIT TO BREAK.

Social source share

I sometimes buy blind, but again, $5 - $10 dollar stuff - ususally crap when I get it. but sometimes I go a bit more.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a record by "flesh and blood" go through eBay at $249.00 - It was after the auction ended and the sound clip had gone. So I did a net search using 5 or 6 search engines and found nothing except a query on here, getting no response.

Found a copy on eBay last week at a low starting price, bidded about $80 and got it for just under $70.

I still don't know if it is any good, as it hasn't arrived yet ... so it's still a blind buy.

Social source share

Always fun waiting for an unknown brown package.

Indeed it is, and sometimes they can have shockingly good records in them - without even the buyer realizing it! About two years ago, when I was completely unfamiliar with what's what in soul music (yes, I'll admit it, I had never heard of almost any of the groups involved), I bought a very cheap 45 lot on Ebay from someone in Arizona - no pictures, no listing of titles, nothing. I remember thinking, when I flipped through the records, "Wow, these are all in fantastic shape, too bad it's just a bunch of unknown acts" - it was all stuff on One-Derful and Marvlus and Kayvette (and even in my messy mountain of records I can still pick them out, each one was in a crisp brown sleeve that I don't run into very often).

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Regularly.

Otherwise your just chasing other peoples plays.

i wouldn't necessarily agree with that , my rule of thumb (though obviously not all the time) is ..if i've heard of it more often then not i won't buy it.

still , a soundclip is essential

Social source share

I bought this totally blind.....drunk! or rather the bottle of red I had polished off whilst wife was on her night out with girls bought it for me.....

6fb5_1.JPG

Lovely Decca Promo.....made me think of Lee Roye's "Tears" and Gladys Turner's "Itty Bitty Girl"....so I bought it. No research nothing....got it eBay on the seconds to go countdown!!!

Paid £72 for it a I think but a gentleman in Belgium bid £102 for it the next week and took it off my hands...he was very pleased too, he said!

Northern Soul it ain't!!! More smoochy Teddy-Boy Music than Soul!

If you see one, don't bother.

Anyone know what it books at....(£500 knowing my luck) ....not in Manships (hardly surprising!)

Best

dogstoat

ill have a look for you mate :boxing:

BAZ A

Social source share

BAZ A :lol:

:boxing: years ago was at a soul do in lancs and bought daphine williams on yodi blind of this lad for a fiver got it home played it and thought shite :lol: years later found it in a box in the loft gathering dust played it again thought not bad.regards johno thumbsup.gif

Social source share

i buy quite a lot blind,blind meaning i have not heard it before but recognize the artist writer label or producers ,same as someone said above one or two non soul sounds but quite a few goodies, prob most recent one was bobby paris let me show you the way , a big beat ballad which a lot of you probably know but some of us less knowledgable don,t a few bucks in near mint cond on tetragrammaton i thought why not and it's great.

kev

Social source share

Hi Baz a few months back i bought Matt Brown on Soft records blind............it's rubbish :thumbup:

don't get me wrong from my above post iv'e bought some sh*te :Dbiggrin.gif along the way its part of the game or thats my excuse regards johno everbody have a good easter :D

Edited by soulcarp
Social source share

Just bought the Ellerine Harding album on Mainstream , got the demo for £30 , looking forward to it arriving as I'm a big fan of Alice Clark but apart from a couple of tracks that people have uploaded onto here , I don't have a clue about the album or her ! ,so blind as a bat on this one , bring it on ! , :thumbsup:

Social source share

I dont buy blind on ebay anymore but I regularly buy blind at record shows, usually at $1-$2 each.

Recently I have got The Catalinas on Scepter and a nice one by the Dittos which I cant make my mind up about. Every now and then I turn up a rare Doo Wop or Garage thing that generates a bit of cash.

On the down side, I am looking at a small pile of 45's by The Mustangs, The Fames, Leroy and the Drivers, The Starlets, Special Delivery Verve promo, The Challengers, Sweet Slice Of Life plus more.

Social source share

:lol: THE ANSWER IS YES ALWAYS HAVE SINCE THE LATE 6ts HOWEVER I DO LOOK AT THE LABEL FIRST TO RECOGCNISE WRITERS AND PRODUCERS ECT, THERE DOES THAT ANSWER THE QUESTION OR DOES IT TELL YOU I AM A COLLECTOR NOT A STAMP COLLECTOR BUYING FROM A PRICE GUIDE BOOK ASK YOURSELF ARE YOU FEELING LUCKY WELL ARE YOU :lol: DAVE KIL
Social source share

I used to buy singles and L.P.s sort of blind - by that I mean based on recommendations I'd read in B&S.

Most stuff didn't get played on the radio and I didn't have transport, much cash or any like-minded souls who wanted to travel to "nights".

The only time I bought a "placemat" was when I shelled out for Lonnie Hill's "You Got Me Running" L.P. in 1984, because I quite liked GALVESTON BAY - B&S hadn't given tha good write up, but I ignored that.

The L.P. has been played once and remains filed away as a salutory reminder of comparative youth.

Social source share

HI BAZ

Try to buy something different once a month, usually one in six comes thru!

A good ratio, but some of the dross is absolutly appalling, how did they get onto vinyl

in the first place!

Best tip from me is to look for unknown labels preferably with release numbers like 101,

-often the first and only release on the label.

Best buys

Sabiastian Shane, Thats what she said on Lucky Eleven (clip on here, still trying to find something about the artist) $10

Empire Power and Light, Love bones on Revelation $15 :thumbsup: a little too funky for nsoul

could probably like most other posters provide a long list of failures

Exceptionals on Red Coach

Vandals on Parkway

both bought because of pedigree on labels

etc :thmbdn:

Andy

Social source share

BAZ A :thumbsup:

from a punters point of view i used to love buying the soul packs through blues + soul mag back in the 70s surprising what turned up in them

Social source share

HI BAZ

Try to buy something different once a month, usually one in six comes thru!

A good ratio, but some of the dross is absolutly appalling, how did they get onto vinyl

in the first place!

Best tip from me is to look for unknown labels preferably with release numbers like 101,

-often the first and only release on the label.

Best buys

Sabiastian Shane, Thats what she said on Lucky Eleven (clip on here, still trying to find something about the artist) $10

Empire Power and Light, Love bones on Revelation $15 :thumbsup: a little too funky for nsoul

could probably like most other posters provide a long list of failures

Exceptionals on Red Coach

Vandals on Parkway

both bought because of pedigree on labels

etc :thmbdn:

Andy

good ratio mate ill take you up on the funky one ill have that asap cheers off to gemme now lol,not heard the senastian shane think i might of bought a vandals track on t neck and that was shite also lol.

Social source share

I dont buy blind on ebay anymore but I regularly buy blind at record shows, usually at $1-$2 each.

This is what I do as well at local shops and flea markets.

If it looks like its soulful, in half way decent condition, and the price is right, I'll take a chance.

Social source share

Hi the first northern soul single that I ever bought was bought blind. It was Jo Armstead's "I Feel An Urge Coming On" on Giant and cost me 50p from a junk shop on the Stratford Rd, Camp Hill in my home town Brum. Still got it and it's got my name written on the label! Yeah I'm the one...

I've spent a lot of money buying blind over the years but by being incredibly cautious it's generally paid off. What's worse is not spending money on great records when they're in your hands - I'm still grieving over a Magnificent Men album I didn't buy at a Birmingham NEC record fair a long, long time ago! It was only a tenner! My worst blind buy was 18 Joe Tex singles from a stall in the Rag Market - one decent A side amongst a lot of mediocre dross - but then again they were only 50p each.Swings roundabouts etc...

Social source share

I don't really buy "blind" as I obviously have a wealth of experience and a vast encyclopedic-like knowledge of 60's soul releases which means every buy is based on thorough research ongoing since my first introduction to soul music.

It therefore beats me why everything I buy without hearing first is bloody bobbins!!

ROD

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert