Different Songs But Similar Tunes

I think that sometimes some songs remind me of others,

Does the same happen to you?? I reckon that (deep breath)

What Shall l Do= Moonlight,Music And You

Right Back Where We Started From=Goodbye Nothing To Say

This Old Heart of Mine=This Gets To Me..................AND....Meet Me Hallfway

Or am l tone-deaf

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think that sometimes some songs remind me of others,

Does the same happen to you?? I reckon that (deep breath)

What Shall l Do= Moonlight,Music And You

Right Back Where We Started From=Goodbye Nothing To Say

This Old Heart of Mine=This Gets To Me..................AND....Meet Me Hallfway

Or am l tone-deaf

Same backing track on top two

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

l do... and that's why l asked the question

I believe that there was a lawsuit over these two songs and that the writers of "Goodbye" successfully sued J Vincent Edwards for plagiarism...

Different songs but similar tunes? "Mercy" and Patti Jo's "Make Me Believe in You". No accident there, I reckon...

Social source share

I believe that there was a lawsuit over these two songs and that the writers of "Goodbye" successfully sued J Vincent Edwards for plagiarism...

Different songs but similar tunes? "Mercy" and Patti Jo's "Make Me Believe in You". No accident there, I reckon...

Bang on !

also ann D'andrea "don't stop looking" and JoBoxers "just got lucky"

Social source share

"Can't Satisfy" - The Impressions & This Old Heart Of Mine" - The Isleys are very similar.

Curtis Mayfield wrote a song called "Can't Satisfy" that was a top-20 r&b hit for the Impressions in 1966. Motown sued because the melody was very similar to this song. Mayfield ended up sharing songwriting credit for this song with Holland/Dozier/Holland/Moy.

Social source share

The melodic similarity between the Lillie Bryant single and This Old Heart of Mine could account for the scarcity of the former 45.

Similarly Benny Latimore's rarest Dade 45, I'm A Believer is a dead ringer for Wilson Pickett's I'm In Love.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Anna Raye - Will you love my child and Lovelites - How can I tell my mom & dad, same writers and a similar theme

plus the lovelites sing backup on the anna raye song...

there are a ton of them but one that always struck me was the arcades - there's got to be a loser and the impressions - i'm the one that loves you

Social source share

l do... and that's why l asked the question

Nice one :ohmy:

spot on about Maxine and Javells. Impressions Can't satisfy is basically the same tune as This Old Heart Of Mine. Both that and Meet Me Halfway had to be withdrawn or maybe in the case of The Impressions, pay royalties to Motown.

Apologies if anyone else has already said this.

Social source share

Nice one :ohmy:

spot on about Maxine and Javells. Impressions Can't satisfy is basically the same tune as This Old Heart Of Mine. Both that and Meet Me Halfway had to be withdrawn or maybe in the case of The Impressions, pay royalties to Motown.

Apologies if anyone else has already said this.

Good call Pete. Don't forget that "I Guess I'll Always Love You" also has a vocal line which Lillie Bryant could well have plagiarised.

Do you think "Heartaches Away My Boy" by Christine Cooper could also have been singled out because of parts sounding like "Stop In The Name Of Love"?

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Also, harking back to a thread from a couple of years ago, does anyone realise that "I'm Losin' Your Love" by The Intentions is nothing more than a fastened-up cover version of "I Got To Handle It" by The Capitols?

And for those who know "Tracy (All I Have Is You)" by Barry White on Faro, was this an outright steal of "Hit The Road Jack" by Ray Charles?

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Amy Winehouse was obviously listening to Big Dee Irwin's "I Wanna Stay Here With You" (Rotate - other side of "You Satisfy My Needs") when she 'wrote' the chorus of "Rehab"...

...my thanks to Dean Rudland for pointing this out!

Social source share

Tell yer what,mate,that was a cracker of a spot,knew the first but not the latter

but l do now...NICE ONE!!!

known that for years, i bought the soundtrack after seeing the film and couldn't believe it when i played it, it's a sort of 70's version but it's definately the same tune

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Am I the same girl? = Soulful strut = Don't cha wanna ride? :thumbsup: Was that one a bit too obvious?

I seem to remember 'Turn back the night' was two other records as well.

Meanwhile 'I can't dance to that music you're playing' lent it's riff to Steely Dan's 'Peg' and Larry Carlton's 'Mr. 335'. But that's jazz/funk so I guess it doesn't count.

My copy of 'Dancing in the street' has another song using a remix of the 'Dancing' backing track on the 'b' side. Can't remember the title, it wasn't very good.

And speaking of 'Dancing in the street', 'The In crowd' used the same chord progression.

Now let's see. 'The In crowd' was also covered by The Ramsey Lewis Trio, which featured Young and Holt. 'Soulful strut' was credited to Young and Holt, but they weren't on it. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Social source share

Am I the same girl? = Soulful strut = Don't cha wanna ride? :thumbsup: Was that one a bit too obvious?

I seem to remember 'Turn back the night' was two other records as well.

Meanwhile 'I can't dance to that music you're playing' lent it's riff to Steely Dan's 'Peg' and Larry Carlton's 'Mr. 335'. But that's jazz/funk so I guess it doesn't count.

My copy of 'Dancing in the street' has another song using a remix of the 'Dancing' backing track on the 'b' side. Can't remember the title, it wasn't very good.

And speaking of 'Dancing in the street', 'The In crowd' used the same chord progression.

Now let's see. 'The In crowd' was also covered by The Ramsey Lewis Trio, which featured Young and Holt. 'Soulful strut' was credited to Young and Holt, but they weren't on it. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

what about cavalliers hold to my baby and hesitations i'm not built that way same producers i seem to recall?

Social source share

Think that you are SO SO RIGHT with those two!!

But what about these two.................

Velvet Satins- Nothing Can Compare To You and.............................................................................

................................................................................

................................................................................

.............Tom Jones-It's Not Unusual

lol brilliant!

Social source share

what about my dear heart by shawn robinson and after dark by patti brooks? that was in the film thank god it's friday and writing is credited to a certain mr soussan!

Mr Soussan did the same with "Stronger Than Her Love" - The Flirtations & turned it into "Love & Desire - Arpeggio - which came out on Polydor.

Social source share

Similarly Benny Latimore's rarest Dade 45, I'm A Believer is a dead ringer for Wilson Pickett's I'm In Love.

There's also a striking resemblance between Benny Latimore's "Girl I Got News For You" and Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive". Some of the words in the lyrics are even the same!

Social source share

Love reputation - Just like the weather or was that just the same backing track ?

My dad used to say it all sounds the bloody same :yes:

Most modern soul - the love boat theme biggrin.gif only joking .

there was that wigan modern tune escapes me who did it (cody marshall??) but was called 'The thought of loving you'? does sound like the Love Boat theme tune!!

Social source share

Have mentioned it before but Al DeLory - "Right On" & Bobby Sheen - "Dr Love" have a similar feel.

The Nurons - "All My Life" sounds like a vocal version of Don Renaldo - "Fiddlin' Around"

how about a triple then? times a wasting-fuller bros, remember me-whispers, sugar pie honey- the promatics.......any other triples?

Social source share

Bobby is my Baby -Barbara Mason ------- Put A Dime On D9 -The Rotations

Can't Let You Go - Soulful Twins -------- Count the Day's -The Magnetics

She's My Beauty Queen - Joe Matthews ----- I'll Never Forget - the Tempos

Cool Off - Detroit Executives--- Mighty Lovers- Mighty Lover

I'm gone -Eddie Parker --- --- Hesitations That's What love Is

Social source share

how about a triple then? times a wasting-fuller bros, remember me-whispers, sugar pie honey- the promatics.......any other triples?

Never waste a tune :lol:

What Should I Do

Moonlight, Music & You

Beautiful Place

The New World

Would all sound great with a decent backing track

ATB

Tony

Social source share

there was that wigan modern tune escapes me who did it (cody marshall??) but was called 'The thought of loving you'? does sound like the Love Boat theme tune!!

Cody Marshall is right. Pierre Hunt c/u. I've always liked that. Love Boat ????????????? tongue.gif

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Has anyone else ever noticed the similarity between He's so fine and My sweet Lord? It's ever so subtle, but it's there... :boxing:

Social source share

dont think they're the same backing (?!) but to my cloth ears they're similar - well I always have to stop and check which one it is coming out of the speakers

Chantels - Indian Giver - Verve

Gloria Grey - Its A Sweet World - Wbros

anybody ???

prefer G.Grey myself

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

Has anyone else ever noticed the similarity between He's so fine and My sweet Lord? It's ever so subtle, but it's there... laugh.gif

It was unintentional though :boxing:

Staying with The Beatles and Paul McCartney always said that he copied "Yesterday" from somewhere, but dosen't know where.

Here's one of mine (I'm sure no-one else will agree) Madonas big pop hit "True Blue" sounds a lot like Love Unlimiteds "It May Be Winter Outside".

Social source share

It was unintentional though :boxing:

George Harrison was ordered to pay $587,000 to Bright Tunes Music (the owners of the song's copyright) in 1976, after a judge found him guilty of "subconscious" plagiarism of "He's So Fine" in regard to his 1971 hit "My Sweet Lord".[1] The Chiffons would later record "My Sweet Lord" to capitalize on the publicity generated by the lawsuit.

Think how much it would have cost him if it was intentional!!!!!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Have mentioned it before but Al DeLory - "Right On" & Bobby Sheen - "Dr Love" have a similar feel.

"Right On" is actually the instrumental to Van Morrison's "Domino". For some reason Al De Lory forgot to mention Van's name in the writer credits, though....

While I'm here, some well known ones that have come up before, but not on this thread are:

Jimmy James "A Man Like Me"/Dexy's Midnight Runners "Come On Eileen" (chorus only)

The Jam "Happy Together" (chorus)/"The Gordon's Gin Theme"

The Jam "Trans-Global Unity Express"/The World Column "So Is The Sun"

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert