Any Info

Hi all was travelling down to york saturday, put a cd on for the drive, it was only cheap from asda i think, cd called NORTHERN SOUL with a picture of a american parka, actually not a bad compilation, then came on TEARSTAINED FACE-DON VARNER with no backing vocals, is there a story behind this one? :D

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think this was from the Quinvy tapes from a few back. I sure there was a thread about this a year or two ago. Just got a copy out of a DJ collection in the U.S., forgotten what a good tune this is, boy can Don sing.

Always been the story that it came out on Veep, but I think that was due to it being issued a release number, but it never actually made a release.

Social source share

I think this was from the Quinvy tapes from a few back. I sure there was a thread about this a year or two ago. Just got a copy out of a DJ collection in the U.S., forgotten what a good tune this is, boy can Don sing.

cheers dave, first time i`d heard it, did do a site search but couldn`t find it, In record list talk BIG VOICED GRITTY VOCAL :D

Edited by HARRY CROSBY
Social source share

Is this the stuff that Charly did 5 LP's off? Fantastic stuiff that unfortunately I only have 2 or 3 LP's left, some great unissued stuff on it.

Did any of this ever come out on CD does anyone know?

Social source share

Is this the stuff that Charly did 5 LP's off? Fantastic stuiff that unfortunately I only have 2 or 3 LP's left, some great unissued stuff on it.

never seen a quinvy cd, would love to hear the un-relesed stuff off the charly lp`s never knew about them :D

Social source share

Yes, we (Charly) did a sorta best of the 5 LP's onto a single CD at the time.

The version of TSF was indeed from the master tapes and different to the issued 45...the brasswork sounds awesome!

:wicked:

Social source share

The version of TSF was indeed from the master tapes and different to the issued 45...the brasswork sounds awesome!

YOu dont know the name of the CD do you Dave? You don't have or know of anyone who has any of the Charly LP's do you, wouldn't mind getting the couple I don't have back.

Found me any more P-Vine deep soul LP's yet? :D

Social source share

The first four volumes of "Sweet Sounds Of Muscle Shoals" were issued on CD in 1996 on the OVERTURE RECORDS label with the same artwork as the CHARLY LPs. I've been told that these are bootlegs though, but they sound superb and must've been sourced from tape/DAT and not recorded from the Charly vinyl LPs.

For those of you looking to track them down, here are the titles of the CDs:

"The Sweet Sounds Of Muscle Shoals Vol. 1: Tear Stained Soul"

"The Sweet Sounds Of Muscle Shoals Vol. 2: High On The Hog"

"The Sweet Sounds Of Muscle Shoals Vol. 3: You Better Believe It"

"The Sweet Sounds Of Muscle Shoals Vol. 4: More Power To Ya"

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

would all so like to get my hands on these charly lps can you help dave? regards john

Social source share

The first four volumes of "Sweet Sounds Of Muscle Shoals" were issued on CD in 1996 on the OVERTURE RECORDS label with the same artwork as the CHARLY LPs. I've been told that these are bootlegs though, but they sound superb and must've been sourced from tape/DAT and not recorded from the Charly vinyl LPs.

For those of you looking to track them down, here are the titles of the CDs:

"The Sweet Sounds Of Muscle Shoals Vol. 1: Tear Stained Soul"

"The Sweet Sounds Of Muscle Shoals Vol. 2: High On The Hog"

"The Sweet Sounds Of Muscle Shoals Vol. 3: You Better Believe It"

"The Sweet Sounds Of Muscle Shoals Vol. 4: More Power To Ya"

Thanks sebastian and dave superb info as per usual :wicked:

Social source share

Despite Dave's first hand experience, I'm not convinced about this being a different take, because if you take Charly's stereo mix and put it in one channel, you get a version without backing vocals...

hmm the plot thickens, don`t know anything about this as i say, but intresting stuff :thumbsup:

Social source share

Despite Dave's first hand experience, I'm not convinced about this being a different take, because if you take Charly's stereo mix and put it in one channel, you get a version without backing vocals...

Been a while since I compared them fully, as in whether it is a different 'mix' or 'take', but the 'version' used on the LPs was different to the Quinvy 45...listen to the brasswork on each. The added bonus is as you say, the fact that you can create an instrumental cut from the LP cut...great innit?!

The Charly CD was called, 'Rare Soul from Alabama: The South Camp / Quinvy CD' CDCHARLY200

1. Tearstained Face - Don Varner

2. When It's Over - Don Varner

3. Let Me Be A Woman - Brenda Varner

4. You Made Your Bed - Eddie Bradford

5. Self Preservation - Bill Brandon

6. What Kind Of Spell - Tony Borders

7. You Ain't Woman Enough (To Take My Man) - June Edwards

8. You Better Believe It - Tony Borders

9. Masquerade - Don Varner

10. Home Just Ain't Home At Suppertime - Z.Z. Hill

11. Strangest Feeling - Bill Brandon

12. Cheaters Never Win - Tony Borders

13. Heaven Help Me (I'm Falling In Love) - June Edwards

14. All I Need Is You - Bill Brandon

15. It's A Man's World - Buddy Causey

16. It Sure Was Fun - Eddie Bradford

17. One Woman Man - Don Varner

18. Rainbow Road - Bill Brandon

19. You Left The Water Running - Don Varner

20.Think I'll Go Somewhere And Cry Myself To Sleep - Joe Perkins

21. Love And A Friend - Tony Borders

22. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight - Bill Brandon

23. Movin' In The Groove - Joe Perkins

24. Don't Give Up On Me - Brenda Varner

25. Your Big Chance - Bill Brandon

26. Close To Me - Dan Penn

27. Sugar Makes Everything Sweeter - Percy Sledge Jr.

I do stumble across the original Charly LP's even over here, and am happy to pick them up (been a bit dry for nice P.Vine titles of late before anyone asks!)

:ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert