The Funniest Thing

Just an idea!!

Does anyone have any really funny or just strange tales to tell about the Northern Soul scene,

The funniest ever thing I saw at a Northern venue was circa 76-77,

The Ritz Manchester all dayer,

The live artists on stage included Evelyn Thomas, Barbara Pennington and LJ Johnson,

If you did'nt know the Ritz it had a revolving stage(so they could get more acts on quickly),

When it came to LJ's set singing "You're Magic Put A Spell On Me",

The roadies or whoever had set up his keyboards on the static part of the stage,and his seat on the rotating part,Half way through his set the stage starts to move and with it LJ's seat,

His face whilst trying to get back to the keyboards priceless

Social source share

• Replies 88
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Micky Cope dancing near the back at Wigan and some comedian threw a banana skin onto the dancefloor and I don't need to tell you the rest, although they reckoned his was one of the best displays of acrobatics they'd seen there since Footsee was first played.

Social source share

Guest Dirk Tiggler

Just an idea!!

Does anyone have any really funny or just strange tales to tell about the Northern Soul scene,

The live artists on stage included Evelyn Thomas, Barbara Pennington and LJ Johnson,

If you did'nt know the Ritz it had a revolving stage(so they could get more acts on quickly),

The roadies or whoever had set up his keyboards on the static part of the stage,and his seat on the rotating part,Half way through his set the stage starts to move and with it LJ's seat,

Man, I would have paid good money to see that! I can't really compete with that story but I do remember an 'old souley' doing back flips (you know, crab football style) and all the loose change falling out of his pockets. Seeing him scurrying around the floor trying to recoup his change was quite funny. Ade

Social source share

..might of mentioned this before, soul night in Donny, guy goes into a spin..( with a bottle of Bud, in his gob ) as hes spinning, the bottle shot out, and hit a bald chap dancing in front of him on the back of the head.....cue..mini riot!! ....would,nt have happened at Wigan,.the guy would have probably turned round and shook his hand. :yes:

Social source share

Guest marge

Friend of mine said he was choking on a pill and had to spit it out on the dancefloor, got some funny looks. But not as funny as another mate who lost his teeth across a dancefloor ... which is more embarrassing?`Is the latter a sign of the times?:

Social source share

Guest marge

and another one, recall someone saying that back in the day their 'niter bag' was full of drugs and nowadays it's full of deep heat, ibuprofen and plasters

Social source share

Man, I would have paid good money to see that! I can't really compete with that story but I do remember an 'old souley' doing back flips (you know, crab football style) and all the loose change falling out of his pockets. Seeing him scurrying around the floor trying to recoup his change was quite funny. Ade

Happened to me many a time,the problem was I was looking for my train fare home so I had to look real hard

Social source share

At a soul night,and a bloke decides to walk straight down the middle of the dance floor with a full tray of drinks :D

Another time a old mate went to the toilet,opened this door and all mops and buckets fell out.

And the same mate was at Bretby nighter,and a punter tried to do a hand stand next to him,he nearly exits out the big windows biggrin.gif

And me I had a bottle of fizzy water explode at nighter :yes:

Kev :D

Social source share

Guest marge

Mac from Wednesfield doing a spin in Mr M's and his glass eye falling out, everyone trying to find it on the floor

Now that's funny. Did they find it?

Social source share

Guest marge

Amazingly I think they did!

:yes: a happy ending then!

Although I don't somehow want to think too hard about imagining it.... re united with eye....

Social source share

Guest nubes

Makes a change to have a thread where folk are having a good laugh...these early posts have had me is stitches :shades: .....Delxxx

Social source share

Then there was the time when I was dancing at the youth club and it was the time of acrobatics etc, I intended to kick out, pull my leg back, swivel the opposite way, kick out the other way then drop into a back drop, except on the first kick out, my shoe flew off about 50 feet into the air and I was laughed at by everyone sitting around the edges of the floor who "couldn't dance" :shades:

Social source share

I know people have heard me tell this one before and it isn't really to do with northern soul but it is related, remember when the fashion item to have was the long leather coat? Well I got one on my 18th birthday and I f*cking loved that coat, anyway a few months after I got it, I was coming home from somewhere on the bus, got off the bus and it was really freezing so I crammed my hands into the pockets of my coat and started to run home to get out of the cold. About a hundred yards from home, my flapping baggy trousers tripped me up and I started to head for the pavement but I couldn't get my hands out of my coat pockets and ended up hitting the pavement with nothing to cushion my fall. It was like a statue being pulled over. See, the dangers of wearing fashionable clothing!

Social source share

I know people have heard me tell this one before and it isn't really to do with northern soul but it is related, remember when the fashion item to have was the long leather coat? Well I got one on my 18th birthday and I f*cking loved that coat, anyway a few months after I got it, I was coming home from somewhere on the bus, got off the bus and it was really freezing so I crammed my hands into the pockets of my coat and started to run home to get out of the cold. About a hundred yards from home, my flapping baggy trousers tripped me up and I started to head for the pavement but I couldn't get my hands out of my coat pockets and ended up hitting the pavement with nothing to cushion my fall. It was like a statue being pulled over. See, the dangers of wearing fashionable clothing!

:shades::lol::lol: Loved that one when you originally told it. Quality, still has me PMSL !

Social source share

Guest welshruss

What a bloody funny thread.......i,ve just woke the misses up laughing.

The bottle of Bud story and the Glass Eye... :lol::lol::shades:

Social source share

Here's one of the funniest I've read on here, posted by Taffy. Know it goes on a bit but still makes me :lol:

"I have to share one quality episode of the many that become apparent when you are involved in running an event. These probably pass invisibly by when you attend as a paying customer.

On Saturday night, I was busy trying to sort the lights out in the Main Hall, we'd said we'd leave them on low to start with so that everyone could get their bearings, then we'd drop them right down from about 9pm. So with my head in a broom cupboard I'm off on "mission change the lights" (as with the best plans, the wrong ones are going on and the place is like a lighthouse for a couple of seconds). In the middle of the mild panic that inevitably takes over every time Captain Cock Up puts in an appearance when carrying out simple stuff like switching the lights on and off - I get the first "excuse me" from behind me.

With you in a minute, I reply. "Excuse Me" kin hell wrong light switch again, "Excuse me" shit total darkness now, the bead of cold sweat becomes a trickle. "Excuse me" WHAT ? I reply as politely as one can with one foot in a janitors bucket that's half full of water, a pint in hand and mops falling on your head and the building in total darkness. "What time is the band on?" Eh, kin who :shades: ? "The band" she says again in a rather worrying, not quite the full ticket, though scarily assertive way.

As I step out of the broom cupboard with the lighting semi sorted, the bucket still on my foot and 2 mops across my shoulders, the conversation carries on, "yes, I wish to know what time the band will be on" What band would this be Madam? I enquire, shaking the bucket off my foot and hurling the brooms back into the cupboard. "The live soul band you've been advertising" says she in a slightly more worrying way, clearly getting the gist that her expectations may not be about to be fully met.

Hmmm "these here adverts", I say in a very slow and deliberate way, remembering all those conflict avoidance courses from work, backing off slightly at the same time and wishing I had a stab vest on. Where did it say that there was a live band on, Madam ? "Here", says she, waving one of our flyers and pointing at it, her eyes now rather glazed and much closer together as well. Now try as I might, I could not read any combination of the words on the flyer, backwards, sideways or as anagrams, that could lead anyone to believe we will have a live soul band on.

HERE ! She says with a strange smile and icy stare as she jabs at the flyer, ahhhh thinks I, she's pointing at the names of our 4 djs. Now I've heard Paul McKay sing and it ain't exactly a harmonic experience. Jon Downs and Stubbsy were never candidates for the Temps and Rob Messer is more Borat than Barry White in the singing stakes.

Ahhh says I, thinking this is heading for a Monty Python cheese shop ending, with a policeman walking in and saying Stop, this is getting Silly ! Yes, the adverts, quite. Erm, well let me try to explain, you see madam, the gentlemen listed on that there advertisement you hold in your hand are not in fact members of the extremely famous, world renowned band "100% Quality Soul" They are in fact members of a strange fraternity known as Dee Jays.

DEEEEEE JAAAAAYZZZZZZ she repeats back at me ever so slowly and deliberately in that Deliverance over the top, shrill kind of way that let's you know that was the wrong answer, slowly turning round to look over her shoulder at the stage. Does that mean I am at a disco ? Erm, well Madam, that is not actually considered an apt description for such a gathering, it would be more accurately termed a soul night as they can be rather sensitive about such things.

They are DEEEE JAAAYZZZZZ, this is a D-I-S-C-O, I don't go to D-I-S-C-O-SSSSS. Says the loony one wacko.gif , as clearly she is.

At that point she turned on her heels and disappeared into the crowded darkness of the dancefloor, I never did see her again. So apologies to anyone (nutters or not) who may have turned up at Rayleigh expecting to see the world famous band 100% Quality Soul. They're not on until our May night :lol:

Taff

Social source share

Guest welshruss

I remember being in Prestwich (tsop) a couple of years ago..

Guy walks into the toilet....sweating profusely......takes his wig off,pats down his arms and brow....puts the said wig back on and goes straight back out on to the dancefloor.

Then...does a spin on the floor......wig flies off.......someone picks it up..pats himself down then gives the wig back to its owner.

(if the wig owner reads this...sorry mate but it had me laughing for days)

Social source share

Guest CarlosFandango

My friend Dave 'Meady' Mead upstairs at the Top of the World Stafford going into a wild spin arms out stretched only to hit the wooden beading separating the dance floor from the carpet ... Looked like a out of control Helicopter and knocked every drink off at least 6 tables and landing in a crumpled mess about 10 feet away on the carpet nowhere near the dance floor ... I laughed so much I Couldn't dance myself for hours !

'Fxxxing Priceless' :shades::lol::lol:

Social source share

Just an idea!!

If you are of a squeamish nature , do not read on ........

I was at a night in '72 , and was watching the dancers on the floor .

There was one chap - very athletic and well into the music , giving it what for with spins , backdrops and the odd splits - which one of the splits became his undoing .........

He went into the splits , and emitted a cry aligned to a banshee ........

He had ripped open the piece of skin between his meat and two veg and his anus .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Just an idea!!

Hi Grant,

Long time no see/speak, was i there that day, my memory is a bit hazy these days :) ?

Phil

Social source share

Hi Grant,

Long time no see/speak, was i there that day, my memory is a bit hazy these days :) ?

Phil

Hello Phil owd pal,you must have been there,Dave Holland,Andy Fletcher,Baz Jones,Pat Taylor,Steph Wilcox,Phil Jones,we were all there that day with our funk of Levine t-shirts,It was the one when they had a movie of the American Soul Train on a screen behind the dj unit,It was also the one were Soul Sam dj'd and Ian Levine followed him playing Car Wash

Social source share

Guest nubes

There was one chap - very athletic and well into the music , giving it what for with spins , backdrops and the odd splits - which one of the splits became his undoing .........

He had ripped open the piece of skin between his meat and two veg and his anus .

Malc Burton

O U C H!!!!!!!!,,,,Delxxxx

Social source share

Around 1978 me and a few mates from Northallerton first started going to Wigan. Being young and impressionable we immediately decided we needed to have the right look i.e. 40" Spencers, highly polished loafers, bag with badges etc. My mate Alec who was a painter and decorator and had a bit of money due to all the govvy jobs he did through the week bought a full length leather coat (probably similar to Pete S, cost £80 which was an absolute fortune at the time). Never had it off his back, went everywhere with it on, it was his pride and joy. Anyway we went through this phase of going round each others houses and showing off our latest dance acrobatics, which when I think back is pretty bloody embarrassing but at the time it fitted with how daft were about dancing. So picture this it's in my mum and dad's front room, Alec (complete with leather coat) is stood leaning against a wall and Ronnie, who was the best dancer of us all, decided to show us one of his spins. Well at the time Ronnie had a cold and as he was midway through the spin the biggest lump of snot I have ever seen in my life shot out of his nose and landed on Alec's lapel!! Well his face was an absolute fecking picture, you'd think he'd been shot, he went flying round the room screaming like a young girl and calling Ronnie names that would have made Chubby Brown blush. We just all fell about laughing and even to this day it makes me laugh out loud when I think about. Happy days.

Sean

Social source share

Guest familytree

Around 1978 me and a few mates from Northallerton first started going to Wigan. Being young and impressionable we immediately decided we needed to have the right look i.e. 40" Spencers, highly polished loafers, bag with badges etc. My mate Alec who was a painter and decorator and had a bit of money due to all the govvy jobs he did through the week bought a full length leather coat (probably similar to Pete S, cost £80 which was an absolute fortune at the time). Never had it off his back, went everywhere with it on, it was his pride and joy. Anyway we went through this phase of going round each others houses and showing off our latest dance acrobatics, which when I think back is pretty bloody embarrassing but at the time it fitted with how daft were about dancing. So picture this it's in my mum and dad's front room, Alec (complete with leather coat) is stood leaning against a wall and Ronnie, who was the best dancer of us all, decided to show us one of his spins. Well at the time Ronnie had a cold and as he was midway through the spin the biggest lump of snot I have ever seen in my life shot out of his nose and landed on Alec's lapel!! Well his face was an absolute fecking picture, you'd think he'd been shot, he went flying round the room screaming like a young girl and calling Ronnie names that would have made Chubby Brown blush. We just all fell about laughing and even to this day it makes me laugh out loud when I think about. Happy days.

Sean

bloody funny that.. and not just the punch line! love the gathering at each others houses to compare moves.. think we all may have done some of that.. well not me, i was born cool! :) x

Edited by familytree
Social source share

Guest familytree

reading these stories have reminded me of a few.

we were at yate and dinx who ran it at the time was fussing about as usual when something untoward happened, cant remember the details but what ever it was it left him with a shard of glass in his eye! (perhaps it was the spinning man with the bud bottle in his mouth?? :wave: ) he was in agony and bumping into everything and everyone and we couldnt help laughing (think you had to know him to know how funny it was) but eventually we took it serious...ish (think its when he started crying? unsure.gif )and realised we needed to take him to A&E...if any one knows dinx they will know he had no sense of direction to the extent of it being a disability!.. anyway the more he fussed and squirmed on the journey the more we rolled about laughing..(callous lot!) we got to the hospital and eventually he was seen only to be told he had to have his eyeball out to be washed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we where now histerical and he was getting very pissed off! as well as feeling quite peaky at the thought of having his eyeball taken out!.. he was told where to go and we followed (until he turned round and told us to f..k off he would go alone!.). we told him he needed us that he would get lost but would he listen?! so we sat down and watched him walk the long corridor, hand over one eye, slightly staggering... he gets to the bottom and turns right.... 5 minutes or so later we see him walking back to take the left turn! bloody funniest thing to watch, you know when you have laughed so much it becomes painful and a worry.. that was that night, dont think him and pat lasted much longer as a couple after that... cant think why? :)

Social source share

smudge and Jonny Carrol tell this story better than me.

Up to wigan, no gear so we decided to pass the time by talking as if we had a short tounge..

Got all the way up to Wigan and apart from a couple of digressions we were doing ok.."ithit a long thway to go thet thmudge" you get the picture.

Pulls in to Wigan off the motorway and its thick fog, we gets lost and ends up on a housing estate, clocks this bloke walking his dog as we stops

"Thuse me mate wheres Thation Road Wigan?"

"are thoo taking the piff"

Social source share

We used to catch the last bus from Bolton on Saturday nights to go to the Casino, cant remember the bus number,It went via a small area of Bolton called Dean,The church in this area had a sign outside "Welcome to Dean Parish"

Every week we looked but never saw him,Then again it was about 11.30 at night so he must have been well on his way by then,

Grant

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Malc Burton

If that was a woman Malc,that would be her "Cuzif"...........Cuzif she hadnt got that her guts would fall out

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

smudge and Jonny Carrol tell this story better than me.

Up to wigan, no gear so we decided to pass the time by talking as if we had a short tounge..

Got all the way up to Wigan and apart from a couple of digressions we were doing ok.."ithit a long thway to go thet thmudge" you get the picture.

Pulls in to Wigan off the motorway and its thick fog, we gets lost and ends up on a housing estate, clocks this bloke walking his dog as we stops

"Thuse me mate wheres Thation Road Wigan?"

"are thoo taking the piff"

Paul talking of Johnny Carrol................anyone that knows John is aware that he was one for the ladies,could cadge the knickers of a nun.

Wherever we went in the 70,s we shared the driving,either his car or mine.The times we took my car John would often come over and ask for the keys "you pulled then John" "yes mate" and off he would go to bring the keys back an hour or so later.

Now move forward in time about 35 years,John now in his 50,s accompanied me to a St Ives reunion,hes dancing away chatting to every thing female, at about midnight he comes over and asks for the car keys,"you pulled then mate" nah me bandages have come loose.

pissed me pants :Dlaugh.gif:ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Malc Burton

Known as "Whiffin's Bridge" in Notts :thumbsup:

Social source share

My friend Dave 'Meady' Mead upstairs at the Top of the World Stafford going into a wild spin arms out stretched only to hit the wooden beading separating the dance floor from the carpet ... Looked like a out of control Helicopter and knocked every drink off at least 6 tables and landing in a crumpled mess about 10 feet away on the carpet nowhere near the dance floor ... I laughed so much I Couldn't dance myself for hours !

'Fxxxing Priceless' :thumbsup::P:D

Had some great laffs with Dave Mead...great bloke..he'd often come out with something hilarious...once...at TOTW...Dave came up to me and said "Hi Jim ..about that 50p i owe you" (he was always skint)...i thought for a bit...then said "you dont owe me 50p"...quick as a flash Dave replied..."Well can i have it now then?"...i paid up to a true artist :D
Social source share

'Fxxxing Priceless' :thumbsup::P:D

Ha ha, there's enough funny stories about Meady for him to have his own thread.

He got kicked out of the house once so he went to sleep in a phone box, the police spotted him and kept ringing him up to offer him a bed in the cells. Took him a while to think of leaving the phone off the hook.

Haven't seen him for years, any idea how he is these days?

Social source share

One Sunday afternoon at the Ritz alldayer I decided it would be a good idea to stand on the rail that ran around the dance floor and jump off onto the floor, in doing so I jumped so high I smashed my head on a steel fire exit sign and cut it open (my head, not the sign), if anybody remembers John Grant (Dj) he helped me down to the toilets but I ended up going to Salford Royal hospital (as it was then) for stitches!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Peter
Social source share

One Sunday afternoon at the Ritz alldayer I decided it would be a good idea to stand on the rail that ran around the dance floor and jump off onto the floor, in doing so I jumped so high I smashed my head on a steel fire exit sign and cut it open, if anybody remembers John Grant (Dj) he helped me down to the toilets but I ended up going to Salford Royal hospital (as it was then) for stitches!!! :thumbsup:

ho ho!.. :thumbup: thats a gud, un!.. (but did you carry on dancing... :( .)

Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

Malc Burton

Also known as a Taint because 'taint p****y and 'taint ass

Social source share

:boxing:laugh.gif went to see TOMMY HUNT,an being a short arse stood on a table by the stairs,as he came on,sumbody bumped the table,,,,oops,arse ova tit,nocked me clean out.woke up about an hour after he,d finished,,,still neva seen him,,woz he any gud,,?

Social source share

Guest Dirk Tiggler

:thumbup:laugh.gif went to see TOMMY HUNT,an being a short arse stood on a table by the stairs,as he came on,sumbody bumped the table,,,,oops,arse ova tit,nocked me clean out.woke up about an hour after he,d finished,,,still neva seen him,,woz he any gud,,?

Hello Burt, I too am a Black County lad so I must know you by sight if not by name. Was he any good? Dunno but he must play for the Baggies thiugh as 'he always ends up on the loosing side...Sorry, pathetic cheap shot at our neighbours, hat coat gone. Ade
:D

ps the old souley who lost his change on the dance floor was Donald from Colley Gate at Pep's Black Horse Fri night do's back in the early 90's

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

Malc Burton

that made me wince just reading that,ouch indeed!

mate of mine who was prown to do the acrobatics,used to do the full flip forwards and onto his feet in a crouched position and then do all the turns etc. looked great til one day he flipped a bit too hard and landed on his knees/shins flat on the floor. i sure i heard his knees shatter, but to his credit,and thru the pain, he carried on flipping etc til end of record and then made his way slowly to the toilet. i'm sure i can still hear the scream ala tom and jerry coming from the bog!! great thread by the way.

incidently, didn't someone jump off the casino balcony to get to dance to a record and nearly broke his neck in process!

Social source share

that made me wince just reading that,ouch indeed!

mate of mine who was prown to do the acrobatics,used to do the full flip forwards and onto his feet in a crouched position and then do all the turns etc. looked great til one day he flipped a bit too hard and landed on his knees/shins flat on the floor. i sure i heard his knees shatter, but to his credit,and thru the pain, he carried on flipping etc til end of record and then made his way slowly to the toilet. i'm sure i can still hear the scream ala tom and jerry coming from the bog!! great thread by the way.

incidently, didn't someone jump off the casino balcony to get to dance to a record and nearly broke his neck in process!

My ex girlfriend jumped into some blokes car,never saw her again broke my bloody heart,

LOL sorry :unsure:

Social source share

Guest mooma

me doing a spin on the dance floor circular skirt going up and down round and round!!! and folk clapping at me!! smiled back until some mate sez " you aint got no knickers on" exit one red faced lass

sue

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert