Northern Soul 'urban Myths'

• Replies 77
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

...Now that, my friend, IS an urban myth (of sorts), I think.

There may have been many assorted reasons why "Do I Love You" did not come out, but I've never bought into Frank's tale of "Berry told me I either had to be a producer, a songwriter or a singer". If that was Mr. Gordy's rule of thumb about 'all-rounders', we'd have never heard any records by writer-singer-producer Smokey Robinson for a start :thumbsup:

Berry also didn't block the singing career of Eddie Holland - it was Eddie who decided that he preferred the creative side of things, rather than the performing one.

Actually there's no evidence of BG pulling any of the occasional records made by producers like Ivy Jo Hunter and Terry 'Buzzie' Johnson. He may not have actively encouraged them, but if he thought they had a hit, and quality control liked it enough, out it would come...

Hi Tony,

I would NEVER question you, Pete S, Ian D and many others on here, so thanks for the correction. However, I need to get my books out, as I have also seen "my" quote intimated by someone else other than Frank W, but your logic is absolutely correct.

I have never understood why some of Ivy Joe's stuff didn't come out.

I love his studio take of Desperate Situation, and one of my all time faves is Where Were You. Also love his recently issued (by Jo) version of Lovin You is Sweeter Than Ever.

Something about his plaintive voice just touches my soul!

Social source share

No more senior moment than the one I'm having cos I can't bloody remember either. It's a Motown acetate that John Pugh from Wolverhampton owns. To be honest, it's not a great vocal, well no, to be honest, it's a crap vocal and you can see why it was never released, but it does exist, I've seen it, held it, and heard it, as have loads of other people.

There was a Tony Turner at Motown though. A roadie and hanger on who wrote a book about Gordy much later. Gordy sued and had the publication stopped.

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

...and was the female voice singing alongside Marvin Gaye on 'California soul' actually Valerie Simpson?

I don't have enough of her music to make a comparison, but in any case it sure sounds like Tammi to me.

Social source share

Well l'll go with that...We might never know!!

Marvin Gaye claimed that most of the album "Easy" was recorded with Valerie Simpson doing a skillful imitation of Tammi.

However, Valerie Simpson has been quoted as denying this......so we probably will never know for sure.

I dug the album out for a listen after seeing this.....its superb....whoever is singing.

Social source share

Guest Phantom janitor

That's kind of true - the (second) girl singer of Babe Ruth, Ellie Hope (i.e. the one who sings on the single version of Elusive) DID go on to become the lead singer of Liquid Gold, and appeared with them on TOTP singing "Dance Yourself Dizzy"!!!!!

Was`nt sure if it was true or not, but i know most of the Liquid Gold Group came from Brackley

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

I starting to believe that some of these Myths are true,what about Gary Lewis is Jerry Lewis's son??

yeah that is true,he now looks a bit like his dad!

Social source share

Richie Pitts sang the theme song on Black adder series 2 ph34r.gif

Richie Pitts coached the South African Athletics/Hurdles team in the 1970s :lol:

Richie Pitts was one of The Precisions :lol:

all true thumbsup.gif

Rob

Rob,

Bit of useless info to add to the above. He was also East Coast junior hurdles champion 1959 and 1960 for the 120 yards high hurdles, 220 yards low hurdles, 220 yards dash. He broke the New York low hurdles record that still stood in the 70s. So I don't see why he shouldn't have coach for South Africa too. He also coached at the SHEFFIELD ATHLETICS CLUB, Yorkshire.

My info, was he was a singer with the Velours & the Fantastics that had the "Something Old, something new" hit. The Precisions member, is a new one on me.. also never knew the Black Adder connection either.

John

Social source share

Rob,

Bit of useless info to add to the above. He was also East Coast junior hurdles champion 1959 and 1960 for the 120 yards high hurdles, 220 yards low hurdles, 220 yards dash. He broke the New York low hurdles record that still stood in the 70s. So I don't see why he shouldn't have coach for South Africa too. He also coached at the SHEFFIELD ATHLETICS CLUB, Yorkshire.

My info, was he was a singer with the Velours & the Fantastics that had the "Something Old, something new" hit. The Precisions member, is a new one on me.. also never knew the Black Adder connection either.

John

All above true-he's a good friend of ours and still lives in Sheffield

The Precision connection comes from our time at Prestatyn where he impersinated a missing member , he also appeared there as the Velours along side Troy Keyes singing "I'm gonna change"-

He is now an official member of The Invitations, doing gigs in the US along side Wilson "Gary" Gant, Bob Blanding & Lew Kirton when he gets the call.

70 years old ,still working as a vocal coach at Wakefield and don't look a day over 55 !

I want him to write a book, the stories he tells are brilliant. espcially about Andrew lloyd Webber ph34r.gif

Anyone wanting to book Richie or The Invitations "Live"-get in touch we'll sort it !

Rob

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

No more senior moment than the one I'm having cos I can't bloody remember either. It's a Motown acetate that John Pugh from Wolverhampton owns. To be honest, it's not a great vocal, well no, to be honest, it's a crap vocal and you can see why it was never released, but it does exist, I've seen it, held it, and heard it, as have loads of other people.

Dave, I know we've had this dialogue on here before, but I'm still not buying into the idea that there's a 'real vocal' to 6 by 6.

The reason that the instrumental is called 6 by 6, is that there are 12 musicians on the record - Earl Van Dyke plus drums, bass, two guitarists, a percussionist and 6 horn players!

I don't care how many people have seen, or held, or even heard John Pugh's 'Motown Acetate'. I can't see why, if someone at Motown had set a lyric to 6 by 6, it would actually have featured lyrics that mention "6 by 6". Or perhaps it doesn't, and I'm misunderstanding that point?

Sorry, but it all sounds a bit too Soussanesque to me. Faking up an acetate is hardly the most difficult thing to do, after all...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

How about The Determinations (of Bing Bong fame on King) being an early Tavares........

Wikipedia says that Tavares evolved from Chubby & The Turnpikes but as a few people have said on this thread, Wikipedia can't always be trusted....

Don't know about the Determinations, but Tavares certainly did evolve from Chubby and the Turnpikes. Before that, they were the 'Del Rios' portion of Linda and the Del Rios (on Crackerjack). Chubby Tavares has himself confirmed the first bit in several online interviews and a pal of mine, who's also a pal of Chubby's, confirmed the latter after asking Chubby.

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I was told that Jimi Hendrix appeared as a session musician on at least one North Bay recording, as well as backing (Ike and?) Tina Turner at one point. I can't see either being true, does anyone know for certain though?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I was told that Jimi Hendrix appeared as a session musician on at least one North Bay recording, as well as backing (Ike and?) Tina Turner at one point. I can't see either being true, does anyone know for certain though?

Yes, me - both not true.

Jimi was with both Little Richard and the Isley Brothers in his pre Experience days and can be heard on records by both of them, though - as well as several by Lonnie Youngblood.

Jimi was also dead before the North Bay label started up and, anyway and to my knowledge, he never recorded in Philly at any time in his career.

Talking of Ike and Tina, though, it was alleged for years that Marc Bolan played the fuzz guitar riff on "Nutbush City Limits". Another figment of someone's imagination, unfortunately...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Yes, me - both not true.

Jimi was with both Little Richard and the Isley Brothers in his pre Experience days and can be heard on records by both of them, though - as well as several by Lonnie Youngblood.

Jimi was also dead before the North Bay label started up and, anyway and to my knowledge, he never recorded in Philly at any time in his career.

Talking of Ike and Tina, though, it was alleged for years that Marc Bolan played the fuzz guitar riff on "Nutbush City Limits". Another figment of someone's imagination, unfortunately...

Mr Tony, probably not of interest but I have footage of Buddy & Stacey performing on Night Train, the record came out on Twirl I think, Jimi Hendrix is playing guitar in their back up band, and it's definitely him.

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

ls Helen Shapiro originally from Darlington or is it just An Urban Myth??

Phil--the reply,s are wrong Helen was not from the East end she was actually from a very well to do Jewish Family in Noreh London---Pinner actually (same as Reg Dwight-the guy who played at The 2nd. Twisted Wheel in 1967 and went on to become Elton John!!

Susan Maughan--of Bobby,s Girl fame and her cover of "That other Place" WAS born in Darlo and from 16--19 she lived in the Bishop Blaize Inn in Richmone Market place(she told me!!)

Best

Tony Coleby

Social source share

Phil--the reply,s are wrong Helen was not from the East end she was actually from a very well to do Jewish Family in Noreh London---Pinner actually

Sorry Tony - gotta correct you there.

Helen Shapiro was born in Bethnal Green Hospital and raised in Clapton (bordering Hackney with North London). She went to Clapton Park Comprehensive School.

You're right in saying that her family were Jewish though. Clapton and Stoke Newington always had (and still does) a large Jewish population.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Sorry Tony - gotta correct you there.

Helen Shapiro was born in Bethnal Green Hospital and raised in Clapton (bordering Hackney with North London). She went to Clapton Park Comprehensive School.

You're right in saying that her family were Jewish though. Clapton and Stoke Newington always had (and still does) a large Jewish population.

They do keep moving these London Borough Borders---i stand corrected(like a man shoes with blocks on) i ,m sure i read she was from Pinner/Norhwoo Hills area.

Sorry again

Tony c.

Social source share

I love reading this stuff, more please!

Would also like to know if the story of someone jumping off the balcony at Wigan to dance to Sandi Sheldon is true or false. :thumbsup:

Its false.

He jumped off to dance to World Without Sunshine, Sandra Phillips on Broadway.

Social source share

Yes, me - both not true.

Wasnt JH also a member of Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers at some early stage? When they were called the "Niggers and a Chink" group?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert