Northern Soul 'urban Myths'

Over the years l have been told that certain artists became.... or were other

artists E.g (and l swear to God these were told!!!)................The Jades were The Commodores....The Jewels- were Rose Royce.................Mickey Moonshine was Alvin Stardust............and David (from David and The Giants) was in actual fact David Cassidy!!!!Anymore out there but don't make em up..................TA!!

Social source share

• Replies 77
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

artists E.g (and l swear to God these were told!!!)................The Jades were The Commodores....The Jewels- were Rose Royce.................Mickey Moonshine was Alvin Stardust............and David (from David and The Giants) was in actual fact David Cassidy!!!!Anymore out there but don't make em up..................TA!!

the best one i ever heard was when billy jollens (r.i.p) from york told me that george pep was actually the a team actor george peppard

Social source share

Rose Royce were I believe originally called Total Concept Unlimited, and at one point were Edwin Starr's backing band in the States. Or so I was told.......

Social source share

Rose Royce were I believe originally called Total Concept Unlimited, and at one point were Edwin Starr's backing band in the States. Or so I was told.......
pretty sure that's true,they were his backing band when he played at wigan ,circa '74,later added gwen dickey to the band and changed name to rose royce
Social source share

You could be right, from Wikipedia (although isn't that all one big urban myth :yes: )

Total Concept Unlimited (and later as Magic Wand). They auditioned for Edwin Starr, and he hired them as his backup band.The group's association with Starr enabled them to interact with numerous music industry personalities. One in particular was Motown producer Norman Whitfield. Whitfield gradually became associated with the group by hiring them for recording sessions; the group also worked with Yvonne Fair, the Undisputed Truth, and the Temptations through Whitfield's influence. After a couple of years of seasoning, the group began production on their debut album under Whitfield's supervision. Also during this time, MCA Records was seeking an artist for the soundtrack to the movie Car Wash. Whitfield convinced executives that the band was more than competent for the job. So the material that Whitfield had assembled for the group's debut album became the soundtrack's material.

Social source share

Just checked the Undisputed Truth "Method To The Madness" album and these Rose Royce members played on it

Kenji Brown (guitar) Lequeint "Duke" Jobe (bass) Kenny Copeland (trumpet) Freddie Dunn (trumpet) Michael Moore (saxophone) Terral Santiel (bongo) Henry Garner (percussion) Michael Nash (keyboards)

Social source share

The lead singer for rose royce was previously in the diamonettes on alston (this info comes from willie clarke). Their hit "love don't live here anymore" was written by one of the Chicago group Roe-o-tation.

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

I think its where the urban myths start :D

There's a good one floating about at the moment. It seems that there is Motown 45 that was put together by one of the back room guys at the company, Fred or Frank Williams/Wilson I think?Anyway it seems that the record itself was SOOOOOOOO crap that on hearing it Berry Gordy had all the copies destroyed leaving only a couple of spare demos?Now it seems that one of these copies has reached the uk and is gonna sell for close to the national deficet! This has to be an urban myth surely???? :yes::D

Social source share

There's a good one floating about at the moment. It seems that there is Motown 45 that was put together by one of the back room guys at the company, Fred or Frank Williams/Wilson I think?Anyway it seems that the record itself was SOOOOOOOO crap that on hearing it Berry Gordy had all the copies destroyed leaving only a couple of spare demos?Now it seems that one of these copies has reached the uk and is gonna sell for close to the national deficet! This has to be an urban myth surely???? :shades::lol:

No coinsedence,house prices went up for the first time for yonks. :lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Rod Stewart played the harmonica on My Boy Lollipop!!!

Actually it was Pete Hogman of (Jimmy Powell and) the Five Dimensions. And that's definitely NOT 'urban myth'!

Social source share

I heard that Kenny bought a round of drinks once at a Cleethorpes Weekender ? :lol:

There's a Micky Moonshine thread on here somewhere that tells who he really is :shades:

Rob

Should be ok this Cleggy surely he'll have some ale money after his sale of the century.

Social source share

Guest oxo1961

Remember hearing this onein the Eighties.. That Babe Ruth went on to become Liquid Gold!!!!!

Social source share

Reckon that one is true,mate,as everybody over here agrees with that( well 90% anyway!!!

Well, 90% have it wrong then. She did represent Northern Ireland at Eurovision but with a different song. Came 7th too! :unsure:

Nine Times out of Ten was recorded later. You can read the whole story HERE

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Remember hearing this onein the Eighties.. That Babe Ruth went on to become Liquid Gold!!!!!

That's kind of true - the (second) girl singer of Babe Ruth, Ellie Hope (i.e. the one who sings on the single version of Elusive) DID go on to become the lead singer of Liquid Gold, and appeared with them on TOTP singing "Dance Yourself Dizzy"!!!!!

Social source share

Muriel emigrated to Canada in 1971 and continued to perform for several years, before taking up medicine and working as a laser therapist.

Thats the Wigan connection then as most there took their weekly mediicine :D

She returned to Belfast in the 1990s and has been a regular on the showband revival circuit and the subject of a TV documentary. :unsure: anyone seen it ?

and I don't know ANYONE called Muriel-do you ?

R & K

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

It's not exactly NS - but it used to be said for years that the vocal on My Guy by Mary Wells was actually Smokey Robinson.

If you listen closely to the original single you can see where the rumour came from.

Most likely Mary had listened to Smokey sing it - and picked up on his phrasing and intonation.

Or maybe . . . . just maybe . . . . ??!!

MB

Social source share

:D So it is just a myth then? tongue.gif

But...have another listen, with Cher in mind. :unsure:

Sorry Kev, don't see it at all. Sounds like Alfie Davison to me!

Does remind me though of the story that the "Peanut Duck" was actually an album track by Lulu. Spent may frustrated hours looking through her albums and trying to make track names fit but to no avail.

Of course, it may well be!

J.

Social source share

Urban myths ?

The vocal to " 6 x 6 " - " My Little Room " by Tony Turner on Musicor ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

The vocal to 6 X 6 certainly exists, but it's not by Tony Turner on Musicor

A senior moment prevents me from recalling what it is , so pray tell Mr R , pray tell ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

A senior moment prevents me from recalling what it is , so pray tell Mr R , pray tell ..........

Malc Burton

No more senior moment than the one I'm having cos I can't bloody remember either. It's a Motown acetate that John Pugh from Wolverhampton owns. To be honest, it's not a great vocal, well no, to be honest, it's a crap vocal and you can see why it was never released, but it does exist, I've seen it, held it, and heard it, as have loads of other people.

Social source share

There's a good one floating about at the moment. It seems that there is Motown 45 that was put together by one of the back room guys at the company, Fred or Frank Williams/Wilson I think?Anyway it seems that the record itself was SOOOOOOOO crap that on hearing it Berry Gordy had all the copies destroyed leaving only a couple of spare demos?Now it seems that one of these copies has reached the uk and is gonna sell for close to the national deficet! This has to be an urban myth surely???? :):lol:

The reason Berry went off on one and pulled it was because he wanted his writers to be writers, his singers to be singers, and producers to be producers. The one thing it isn't, (and I'm not a big fan of it) is a crap record.

In the early 70s La Brenda Ben was supposed to be Martha Reeves.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The reason Berry went off on one and pulled it was because he wanted his writers to be writers, his singers to be singers, and producers to be producers.

...Now that, my friend, IS an urban myth (of sorts), I think.

There may have been many assorted reasons why "Do I Love You" did not come out, but I've never bought into Frank's tale of "Berry told me I either had to be a producer, a songwriter or a singer". If that was Mr. Gordy's rule of thumb about 'all-rounders', we'd have never heard any records by writer-singer-producer Smokey Robinson for a start :)

Berry also didn't block the singing career of Eddie Holland - it was Eddie who decided that he preferred the creative side of things, rather than the performing one.

Actually there's no evidence of BG pulling any of the occasional records made by producers like Ivy Jo Hunter and Terry 'Buzzie' Johnson. He may not have actively encouraged them, but if he thought they had a hit, and quality control liked it enough, out it would come...

Social source share

The title was My room is only 6x6! the rumour was started by a guy from Loughboro/Leicester can´t recall his name though!

Steve

" My Little Room " / " My Room Is Only 6 X 6 " ............ whatever .

Malc Burton

Social source share

One of my old mates swore for years he`d seen a copy of FATHERS ANGELS on american heritage, and a thumb a ride demo ohmy.gif , plus i argued for years with many people about the existence of NOLAN CHANCE on bunky, wich turned out to be correct :lol:

I know why the Earl Wright demo came about.

I was selling a beached label copy at wigan (it was nearly white on the Thumb a Ride side) and you know who got quite excited.

Before I could tell him why it was white he was off :thumbsup:

It had been in a shop window for god knows how long, the other side label was ok. :thumbup:

Social source share

I know why the Earl Wright demo came about.

I was selling a beached label copy at wigan (it was nearly white on the Thumb a Ride side) and you know who got quite excited.

Before I could tell him why it was white he was off :thumbsup:

It had been in a shop window for god knows how long, the other side label was ok. :lol:

are we talking about that little fella again dave? :thumbup: hope your ok matey thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert