'sticking A Disco Beat Behind It'

Barry

I have had the old, 'What was that ........... (whatever) remix you played with the disco beat behind it?' question aimed at me so many times that I feel the need to address it.

It tends to be asked in an 'I'm not really that arsed and as a matter of fact I feel the (odd) need to intone my question in such manner that it sounds that I am asking out of abhorrence, almost repulsion' kind of way.

Which never cuts it, I always know that the reason they are asking is simply because they like it, no matter how they phrase their query.

What this this type of person doesn't tend to realise is the toil that was behind this remix/re-edit/re-working.

And not only the toil.

How much did that particular track mean to someone - to actually have it buzz round their head for years to the point where they wished to spend their hard-earned notes and precious time, in a studio to (hopefully) sympathetically give their spin on it.

As much as you may wish to say 'Why bother? You can't improve on the original' etc - that isn't really the issue - it is simply one man's love of a track - a love that will make him try his damdest to improve on it....all the time knowing that he won't.

Long story short - spend seven days in a studio re-working a track, re-building chords, adding hand claps, trying to re-work a bass-line etc...that is loving a record, nothing else.

If nothing else the time spent remixing a track simply shows your respect for the original team behind it, and on the back of that - your love of it.

Not something to have a pop at in my book.

Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have had the old, 'What was that ........... (whatever) remix you played with the disco beat behind it?' question aimed at me so many times that I feel the need to address it.

It tends to be asked in an 'I'm not really that arsed and as a matter of fact I feel the (odd) need to intone my question in such manner that it sounds that I am asking out of abhorrence, almost repulsion' kind of way.

Which never cuts it, I always know that the reason they are asking is simply because they like it, no matter how they phrase their query.

What this this type of person doesn't tend to realise is the toil that was behind this remix/re-edit/re-working.

And not only the toil.

How much did that particular track mean to someone - to actually have it buzz round their head for years to the point where they wished to spend their hard-earned notes and precious time, in a studio to (hopefully) sympathetically give their spin on it.

As much as you may wish to say 'Why bother? You can't improve on the original' etc - that isn't really the issue - it is simply one man's love of a track - a love that will make him try his damdest to improve on it....all the time knowing that he won't.

Long story short - spend seven days in a studio re-working a track, re-building chords, adding hand claps, trying to re-work a bass-line etc...that is loving a record, nothing else.

If nothing else the time spent remixing a track simply shows your respect for the original team behind it, and on the back of that - your love of it.

Not something to have a pop at in my book.

Yup agreed as long as the remix is good. I got a Jean Shy German techno mix somewhere and it's awful, and there are also some very strange mixes of "The Source" for example (one straight off the top of me head).....I'd also add remakes to the list also, such as the recent version of You know how to love me which is very good in my humble. To say "you can't beat the original" is missing the point.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yup agreed as long as the remix is good. I got a Jean Shy German techno mix somewhere and it's awful, and there are also some very strange mixes of "The Source" for example (one straight off the top of me head).....I'd also add remakes to the list also, such as the recent version of You know how to love me which is very good in my humble. To say "you can't beat the original" is missing the point.

Of course, it's very rare that "you CAN beat the original", but that in itself shouldn't disbar anyone from having a go. I've got plenty of remixes that I personally like better than the original mix.

Having worked in that industry for a number of years in the 90s, I soon came to the opinion that I still hold today - that is, a remix should always act as an enhancement to any given original, rather than being an attempt to improve upon it.

Not so crazy about 'remixes' that are actually a completely different record that merely samples a couple of phrases from the original and puts them to an entirely incongruous rhythm, mind. But to each their own...

Social source share

As if to prove the point, quite simply this is the greatest remix I've ever heard in my life. An absolute work of art which totally vaidates what can be done when someone puts their heart and soul into it and totally understands the record........

"Down To Love Town" - The Originals Dimitri From Paris Disco Citay Remix

https://www.zshare.net/audio/574790283d411ba8/

Ian D :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Of course, it's very rare that "you CAN beat the original", but that in itself shouldn't disbar anyone from having a go. I've got plenty of remixes that I personally like better than the original mix.

Having worked in that industry for a number of years in the 90s, I soon came to the opinion that I still hold today - that is, a remix should always act as an enhancement to any given original, rather than being an attempt to improve upon it.

Not so crazy about 'remixes' that are actually a completely different record that merely samples a couple of phrases from the original and puts them to an entirely incongruous rhythm, mind. But to each their own...

A good example of that was Bob Jones re-mix of The Temptations-The Joneses, didn't change it, just added a nice harder edge to it.

Social source share

There is nothing more than I love in this world more than an allnighter with two rooms where I can float from one to hear some ace mixed dance trax that inspire me and then returning to a main room to hear originals.

What I want is a delicately blended cocktail of danceable soul music that doesn't bore me.

There are some "originals" that I find diabolical and some mixes that make me cringe when I feel insulted or ripped off.

I do need the two rooms though; I need a safety barrier between the two.

I do agree that there is a hell of a lot of love and hard work going into a re mix, but I do tend to champion the original inspired artistic dream set to music, a talent that is almost god like and one very far from the re mixer.

Some times you get unnecessary polishing of a beautiful creation and other times we get a polished turd, but you do often get a better, brighter item that is better appreciated and is homage to the origin.

Social source share

the toil that was behind this remix/re-edit/re-working

precious time, in a studio to (hopefully) sympathetically give their spin on it

simply one man's love of a track

adding hand claps, trying to re-work a bass-line

respect

have a pop

I can relate to all this, having just dropped a new remix myself:

FW_REMIX_1.mp3 - 3.05MB

didn't change it, just added a nice harder edge to it.

Is that the kind of thing you meant, Dave? :thumbsup:

I also did a second mix with an even harder edge, which should go down well at Wigan Pier:

FW_REMIX_2.mp3 - 2.62MB

if anyone wants a carver for next weekend just PM me. might also make a nice addition to the next raresoulman auction too?

Social source share

FW_REMIX_1.mp3 - 3.05MB

I also did a second mix with an even harder edge, which should go down well at Wigan Pier:

FW_REMIX_2.mp3 - 2.62MB

if anyone wants a carver for next weekend just PM me. might also make a nice addition to the next raresoulman auction too?

Both a l'il bit manic for me George LOL although I'm sure they'd work OK at the Frontier in Batley where the kids seem to love the million-mile an hour ravey stuff.......

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

FW_REMIX_1.mp3 - 3.05MB

FW_REMIX_2.mp3 - 2.62MB

Aye Up George

Put a donk on it! LOL

Hope you well - might hopefully catch up when i'm back in mcr at easter.

On the remix front - agree the dimitri from paris mixes/edits of originals are pretty damn good.

Take it easy

Phil

Social source share

Guest stash313

As if to prove the point, quite simply this is the greatest remix I've ever heard in my life. An absolute work of art which totally vaidates what can be done when someone puts their heart and soul into it and totally understands the record........

Ian D :yes:

Ian once again you're speaking my language mate.

By far one of my favourite tracks of all time, and the Dimitri from Paris remix is stunning.

There are so many various mixes of this record both in original and 're-mix' format that this one does really well to be up there!

Social source share

Ian D :lol:

Love it Love it

P :shades:

Social source share

Love it Love it

" Speaking " of Dimitris Yerasimos ( Dimitri from Paris ) .......... This is an excellent remix by him of an excellent record .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

" Speaking " of Dimitris Yerasimos ( Dimitri from Paris ) .......... This is an excellent remix by him of an excellent record .

Malc Burton

Thank you oh knowledgable one! :lol:

I love this kind of thing. Now where can I go to listen/dance to stuff like this?

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

Guest oxo1961

Ian D :shades:

Got to agree with you on this........ Brilliant!!!

Social source share

Why do you find it necessary to type in bold?

I daren't say anymore as you are a mod, one of the favoured few!

Used 'bold' type since I joined site 4 years ago as have several others & never recieved a complaint yet.

Also not a Mod for this section of the site so feel free to treat me the same as any other member as wouldn't want it any other way.

Reason I replied to your post - read the topic sub heading at the top of the page......

Social source share

Ian D :shades:

Fantastic !!!!!..... now this may be the place to find one of my all time wants Lenny Fontana/Black Sun thier remix/sample of Spread Love the one with all the out of tune horns,a la Sweet sweetbacks theme, in it? Is there anybody out there that knows what I'm talking about?? please!!!

John

Social source share

Aye Up George

Put a donk on it! LOL

Excellent, see you in a few weeks then.

I shouldn't give up trade secrets like this, but www.donkdj.com is the place to get donking... I tried a Kings Go Forth medley but it didn't work as well as with the old Motown magic :shades:

Social source share

Fantastic !!!!!..... now this may be the place to find one of my all time wants Lenny Fontana/Black Sun thier remix/sample of Spread Love the one with all the out of tune horns,a la Sweet sweetbacks theme, in it? Is there anybody out there that knows what I'm talking about?? please!!!

John

Try this - don't know which mix you want though.

https://www.discogs.com/search?type=all&amp...&btn=Search

Social source share

Guest souldancer

Thank you oh knowledgable one! :)

I love this kind of thing. Now where can I go to listen/dance to stuff like this?

P :lol:

The Soulful Dance guys.....and ex Blackpool Mecca buddies...Pete Haigh, Steve Naylor and Andy Lett (epic) are relaunching their night on June 6th at The Island in Lytham St. Annes.....this is exactly the kind of music they get behind...wonderful isn't it?

The flyer is up here somewhere for more info....its a great venue too right on the prom..

Lot's of good new music played alongside classic dance tracks.

When those three Blackpool Mecca heads get together you can imagine the suberb stuff they come up with... :)

Julia

Social source share

The Soulful Dance guys.....and ex Blackpool Mecca buddies...Pete Haigh, Steve Naylor and Andy Lett (epic) are relaunching their night on June 6th at The Island in Lytham St. Annes.....this is exactly the kind of music they get behind...wonderful isn't it?

The flyer is up here somewhere for more info....its a great venue too right on the prom..

Lot's of good new music played alongside classic dance tracks.

When those three Blackpool Mecca heads get together you can imagine the suberb stuff they come up with... :)

Julia

Thanks Julia, and its on my birthday!!

:lol:

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Ian D :)

That is a gret remix! It's on a great cd I have of him at the playboy mansion. The whole cd is amazing.

Social source share

Guest souldancer

Thanks Julia, and its on my birthday!!

smile.gif

Wow..really?

Well if you fancy a weekend away...you'll be made very welcome... :)

Social source share

That is a gret remix! It's on a great cd I have of him at the playboy mansion. The whole cd is amazing.

Check out "Return To The Playboy Mansion" as well Andy. His "Sexytime" mix of slowies is the best running mix of slowies I've ever heard - truly stunning plus he includes things like "For Real" - Flowers etc, etc. He knows his stuff too and he's actively collecting a lot of early Modern these days. He's got an amazing collection and all originals too. There's a real Soulboy under that smooth French exterior LOL.....

Ian D :)

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

FW_REMIX_1.mp3 - 3.05MB

Is that the kind of thing you meant, Dave? g.gif

FW_REMIX_2.mp3 - 2.62MB

That's wicked, G. It reminds me of a CD that my mum purchased a few years ago, northern soul classic floor fillers or something like that. When she got it home it was a load of classics with a high NRG beat underneath, I wonder who produced that? She took it back to Asda and got her money back, but you never know, you might sell a few if you get distribution... :ohmy:

Are you going to play that at Soul Spectrum? :D

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

That's wicked, G. It reminds me of a CD that my mum purchased a few years ago, northern soul classic floor fillers or something like that. When she got it home it was a load of classics with a high NRG beat underneath, I wonder who produced that? She took it back to Asda and got her money back, but you never know, you might sell a few if you get distribution... wink.gif

Are you going to play that at Soul Spectrum? :D

i fooolishly did the same thing many years ago, i did wonder at the time why it was so cheap

Social source share

been a while since i played that CD, but don't think that this remix is on it - it's just a simpler re-edit of the original on that if i remember. great set anyway,..

Social source share

been a while since i played that CD, but don't think that this remix is on it - it's just a simpler re-edit of the original on that if i remember. great set anyway,..

He has a couple of different versions out on different CD's

A Night At The Playboy Mansion - Originals - Down To Love Town (Dim's Secret Re-Edit) (6:43)

In The House Of Love - Originals - Down To Love Town (Dim's Disco Citay Remix) (6:31)

or you could get a full 7:51 on the In The House Of Love (Part 1) double LP :wave:

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

I think there's a generation thing going on here. Back in my day remixing meant taking the original tapes and, well, remixing them. From reading this thread I get the impression that to all you young dudes it means to pretty much re-record the whole thing.

Whichever, it still doesn't seem to me that you're showing the originators of the piece any kind of respect by undoing what they've, presumably, struggled to get right the first time.

Mind you, I'm a muso so my idea of respect is to try and do the song justice by playing it myself... :wave:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Interesting intro. Almost classical. I enjoyed listening to it, but I dunno if I'd prefer it to the original when on the dancefloor. I do actually like the 7" mix - which omits the first verse and is a tighter production in my view. (Possibly just 'cos that's the cut I heard first and which still holds such fond memories). He does a good job on it though.

But then I love this song any-which-way, and the MELODY is so memorable which always helps!

p.s. Has he done "Cathedrals"? :wave:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Interesting intro. Almost classical. I enjoyed listening to it, but I dunno if I'd prefer it to the original when on the dancefloor. I do actually like the 7" mix - which omits the first verse and is a tighter production in my view. (Possibly just 'cos that's the cut I heard first and which still holds such fond memories). He does a good job on it though.

But then I love this song any-which-way, and the MELODY is so memorable which always helps!

p.s. Has he done "Cathedrals"? :wave:

It is almost classical. I've played it out to great effect a few times. It's a good record to kick off a set with as the intro gets everyone anticipating what's going to happen and then.........bada BOOM! It kicks in and people go nuts. I also like the way it breaks down to just vocals later in the mix which, again, is a great tension builder. I love it!

I dunno about "Cathedrals" but I think it'd be very difficult to beat the original mix on that to be honest.......can you imagine how good that would have been with a decent Soul vocals and maybe a Gospel choir........?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I think there's a generation thing going on here. Back in my day remixing meant taking the original tapes and, well, remixing them. From reading this thread I get the impression that to all you young dudes it means to pretty much re-record the whole thing.

Whichever, it still doesn't seem to me that you're showing the originators of the piece any kind of respect by undoing what they've, presumably, struggled to get right the first time.

Mind you, I'm a muso so my idea of respect is to try and do the song justice by playing it myself... :wave:

Do you not like my Mello Souls remix? sad.gif Feel free to carve it up if you'd like to play it out. Northern Soul 2009.

I'm going to be doing a special CD of remixes of the work of a famous producer who regularly posts on this site, think of it as a homage to his work. I'm hoping to have promo copies of it available for DJs this weekend at The Marrs Bar allnighter, and will then go on sale following a fabulous launch party...

Mello_Souls_We_Can_Make_It_remix.mp3

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest maria

Aye Up George

Put a donk on it! LOL

On the remix front - agree the dimitri from paris mixes/edits of originals are pretty damn good.

Take it easy

Phil

PINKY & PERKY AT ITS BEST laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest maria

Ian once again you're speaking my language mate.

By far one of my favourite tracks of all time, and the Dimitri from Paris remix is stunning.

There are so many various mixes of this record both in original and 're-mix' format that this one does really well to be up there!

IF THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL, I DON'T KNOW WHERE I HAVE BEEN FOR THE LAST FORTY YEARS, PLEASE, IT MAYBE SOUL MUSIC wink.gif KEEP IT IN CLUB LAND

Social source share

FW_REMIX_1.mp3 - 3.05MB

Is that the kind of thing you meant, Dave? :lol:

FW_REMIX_2.mp3 - 2.62MB

NICE APRIL FOOL :lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

'Cathedrals' has had the arse banged out of it on the House scene, too many to mention as it happens.

I think a lot of the Soul fraternity would be surprised at what has been reworked/sampled, especially by the younger European House kids.

I have always got a buzz out of finding obscure (subjective) Nighter played tracks being utilised on House records.

Should I start a thread?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert