• Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Mark Holmes

Any one remember this?

Blue Rondo a La Turk - Klacto Vee Sedstein, I remember them on "Swap shop" stomping.

is there ayou tube or anything of that song...Awesome maybe there is one on here but I am at work and just realized that maybe why there is a fooking big space on the post ohmy.gif

Edited by Mark Holmes
Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

How about "Southern Freeze" by Freeze for a bit of Crossover

and

"Searching" by Change featuring Luther Vandross

Social source share

This may sound bizarre but have a listen to Who Do You Think You Are by Candelwick Green and it's a great Northern track, if it hadn't charted it could have been covered up. I listened to it by accident recently and was very surprised. And then I see it on John Manships website :unsure:

You're not wrong there Pete! Brilliant record - I've liked this since it was in the charts 35 years ago, but never once associated it with sounding at all Northern. Not bad for a bunch of Opportunity Knocks winners - and I mean that most sincerely folks!

So if JM wants £22 for a stock copy, what does it make this one worth? Not that I would sell it, mind!

post-953-1238708910_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

You're not wrong there Tony! Brilliant record - I've liked this since it was in the charts 35 years ago, but never once associated it with sounding at all Northern. Not bad for a bunch of Opportunity Knocks winners - and I mean that most sincerely folks!

So if JM wants £22 for a stock copy, what does it make this one worth? Not that I would sell it, mind!

Tony? :unsure:

Social source share

Tony? :unsure:

Sorry Pete - mistook it for one of Mr Rounce's posts for some unknown reason (sorry Tony)! Been a stressful day (that's my excuse)! Thanks for bringing it to my attention BTW - almost forgot about it!!

Have amended my OP!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Rock The Casbah - Clash :unsure:

MAW have quoted this to be one of their major influences - still, a bad ass, stand up dance track.

Never left my box and have dropped it mid (House) set for years - I'll never bore of it and it never, EVER, fails.

Good shout!

Social source share

Guest Dante

Definitely Town Called Malice.

And Lust For Life by Iggy Pop. I remember Pete posting up a mashup between this and a Supremes track, can't recall wich one, though.

Social source share

It's a nice thread this, it has allowed people to drop their guard to some extent.

It's funny how this kind of thread is accepted, when it deals with unrelated All Nighter material yet other threads regarding played Nighter material attract ire.

It's all good.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Definitely Town Called Malice.

And Lust For Life by Iggy Pop. I remember Pete posting up a mashup between this and a Supremes track, can't recall wich one, though.

Solid Bond In Your Heart.

Apart from it should have been the Jam's last song, it has the best ever video to go with a really great tune.

First time I heard freedom was at the Stafford allnighter............................well in the Queue. I thought, thats sounds all right :unsure:

I cant view any of the links at work.

Pete have you mentioned the Bowie track yet?

Or has anyone mentioned Reward by Teardrop Explodes. (Also containes a killer opening line)

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Pete, when i first met John Manship,i told him i knew of a shop, where if i had the numbers i could pick up obscure british releases,this was one on the list(maybe John had played it covered?)

incidently there is another version by St ettiene which is also quite good

Steve

The only problem with the St Etienne version is the way she pronounces the word "advantage" in the chorus, she says "ad-varn-tage" in a poncy southern style. The St Etienne track "Nothing can stop us" uses a massive sample from "I can't wait to see my babys face" (Dusty version)

Social source share

Solid Bond In Your Heart.

Apart from it should have been the Jam's last song, it has the best ever video to go with a really great tune.

First time I heard freedom was at the Stafford allnighter............................well in the Queue. I thought, thats sounds all right :unsure:

I cant view any of the links at work.

Pete have you mentioned the Bowie track yet?

Or has anyone mentioned Reward by Teardrop Explodes. (Also containes a killer opening line)

The Jam put out a cd called Extras and it had a fantastic demo version of "Solid bond" which was out and out Northern.

There's a couple of great Bowie tracks from the Pye period which are suitable, the best is without doubt "Can't help thinking about me" but the real Northern style one is "Do anything you say".

I'll try and find that Iggy Pop / Supremes mash up, might still have it.

Social source share

I still regard "I'm On Fire" by 5000 Volts as one of my all-time faves. Was this recorded with Northern Soul in mind?

Doubt it but it was definitely played at Wigan - I have a tape of the instrumental being played.

p.s. I always thought 5000 Volts were fronted by the actress Luan Peters, when I did a bit of research I found out that Luan Peters recorded in the 60's as...Karol Keyes! (Did versions of One in a million and You beat me to the punch)

p1000372ka5.jpg

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Storming thread Guy's & Girls,

Love loads of the tunes listed on this, but must say ;

Rock The Casbah - The Clash

Smalltown Boy - Bronski Beat

Shout to The Top - Fire Island Feat Loleatta Holloway

Prefab Sprout - When Love Breaks Down

Huge tunes i.m.h.o. & i've played Fire Island tune out many a time!!!

Keep it going,

John Mc.

Social source share

You know the weren't

But you wished they were

You know the chart tracks that are sooooo soulful and each time they played some one always danced "Northern"?

Swing Out Sister Breakout

Big Sound Authority - This House is Where Your Love Stands

George Benson Love X Love

ABC When Smokey Sings

Love that Big Sound Authority song and you never hear it played on the radio or anywhere.

What about Billy Ocean - LOD (Love on Delivery)

Suz biggrin.gif

x

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Love that Big Sound Authority song and you never hear it played on the radio or anywhere.

What about Billy Ocean - LOD (Love on Delivery)

Suz :thumbsup:

x

Around the time of Big Sound Authority, I think Paul Weller's girlfriend released a few records and one was a belting track that wouldnt have been out of place at a soul do. Not the rather smashing ballad, but another.

Social source share

Guest sarahleen

not sure if this was a cover version by them

its no secret - jefferson airplane

think u2 plagerised this for- the fly , possibly

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!