You Know The Weren't

• Replies 208
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I reckon "Oh Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison would have had potential had it not been a chart hit in the UK. So, too, could have been "Something Here In My Heart (Keeps A Tellin' Me No)" by the Paper Dolls.

My favourite Paperdolls track is "Someday."

What about Dorien Gray "Can't You See I've Got You On My Mind".

Suz biggrin.gif

x

Social source share

Guest Trevski

ALWAYS REMINDED ME OF UP UP AND AWAY IN MY BEAUTIFUL BALOON DUNNO WHY LOVE IT

KEV

Probably because they were working with Jimmy Webb at the time. (Same producer)

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

Might have drunkenly stomped to this at weddings.

when i started to read this thread cotpm was first thing i thought of ,was just scrolling down to see if anyone had the same thought, how about their 'i'll tumble for ya'

first heard at barry mae's house

Edited by gfarrington
Social source share

Guest east rob

Rob if you are wondering what we're talking about, I made an identical post to yours 3 or 4 days ago then yesterday I said that nobody ever reads my posts laugh.gif

sorry pete, i'm a very slow reader! :thumbsup:

Edited by east rob
Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Yes you're right.....but the other chic fronted on 'Dr Kiss Kiss'.....here's the blurb from Wikipedia

5000 Volts

They released several singles in the mid 1970s, but did not achieve success until radio stations began playing the B-side to their single, "Bye Love". The song, "I'm On Fire", was then released in its own right and became a major hit throughout Europe, peaking at number 4 on the UK Singles Chart;[1] and at number 1 on the German Top100 Singles chart and the Swedish chart. It also charted in the United States where it reached number 26. Though Charles provided the vocals, she was not at the time publicly acknowledged as the group's singer, and on the band's 1974 appearance on BBC Television's Top Of The Pops, singer/actress Luan Peters fronted the group. However, the publicity surrounding the revelation of Charles' contributions to the group gave her solo career a boostC

KTF

Baz

Tina Charles WAS the vocalist who recorded " IOF " .

Posted below is a clip from German TV at the time of release ( taken from boobtube ) , showing TC singing the song ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Jr Campbell-Sweet Illusion & Hallelujah Freedom, both had Doris Troy on backing. Love both of them

got to agree with this one-73/74 sweet illusion was a fantastic record wasted on the pop slotters.

Social source share

Guest BigPaul

Yesterday Has Gone- Cupids Inspiration Big Beat Ballad

Happily ever after- Donna Summer Of the excellent Once Upon A Time Album

Best

Paul

Social source share

Oh, here's one I forgot. Great modern soulful dance record, and its got 'Northern Soul Dancers' in - including a couple of 'familiar' faces (geddit?) - and that bloke out of Dead Man's Shoes* and The Bourne Thingummy! Woo hoo!

Moloko - Familiar Feeling

*not paul-s

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Up, Up and Away

In My Beautiful Balloon!

There's no sense in asking why!..................Searching for a perfect ending that we'll never find :thumbsup:

Steve J

Social source share

Don't say no! And it was arranged by ... erm something to do with Duffy. The orchestral arrangements? Maybe it was just a good pop song.

Were those Bowie tracks mentioned earlier on 'don't be fooled by the name' lp?

Only have a tape of that lp

Always thought that was dusty springfield singing this track :thumbsup: anyone else???...the lip sync is appaling

Social source share

How a bout

run dmc v jason nevins...Its like that brilliant stomper

what about weapon of choice Vid featured Christopher Walken

absolutely brilliant moves by Mr Walken :ohmy:

Heyup MadMandy!

Weapon of Choice is a cool video, and RUN DMC were a great band.

You may be aware Christopher 'Dead Man' Walken was a professional dancer in his early days and danced with Judy Garland...

Social source share

Heyup MadMandy!

Weapon of Choice is a cool video, and RUN DMC were a great band.

You may be aware Christopher 'Dead Man' Walken was a professional dancer in his early days and danced with Judy Garland...

he trained at somewhere like RADA :lol: ???? did stage work before movies

I like the Jason Nevins vid ..some of the moves smack of northern floorworks :ohmy:

Social source share

Solid Bond In Your Heart.

Apart from it should have been the Jam's last song, it has the best ever video to go with a really great tune.

First time I heard freedom was at the Stafford allnighter............................well in the Queue. I thought, thats sounds all right :unsure:

I cant view any of the links at work.

Pete have you mentioned the Bowie track yet?

Or has anyone mentioned Reward by Teardrop Explodes. (Also containes a killer opening line)

Have you read Julian Cope's tomes by any chance?

I stumbled on Teardrop Explodes at school with their 'Kilimanjaro' album (bought it off my history teacher, Mr Lord, who was Thalidomide - he used his affliction (not to say it was an affliction but could be read by some as such)to his advantage though...he used to twat us on the top of the skull with a massive bunch of keys, utilising his added arm-torque to administer pain for late homework, 'whatever'...another of his penalties was to make you cut the grass outside our class window with nail scissors during lesson. Genius!!

Anyway, 'Kilimanjaro' was released prior to 'Reward's chart sucess and re-issued with the track included, with the addition of a wanky zebra-african sleeve, instead of the original band aimed photo cover.

I'm wandering a bit here but Cope's opening oratory gambits, 'Head On' and 'Repossessed' are singularly riveting.

As Julians brother Josh said, mis-quoting Stephen Fry (wink),..."there are those of us that lie in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the kerb!"

They are classic books mate.

Social source share

when i started to read this thread cotpm was first thing i thought of ,was just scrolling down to see if anyone had the same thought, how about their 'i'll tumble for ya'

first heard at barry mae's house

What a fantastic track.

Japanese only release on 12" at first.

Barry May, by the way he he.

Did we thumb it somewhere the follwoing morning mate?

And did you have 'tache at the time?

I think i'm Remebering.

Was this Morecambe 'Super'dome time?

Social source share

From '72,Colin Blunstone - "Say you don't mind"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VjbyfF0C64

I'm losing track of what this topic is about, I thought it was about pop records that sounded like Northern records? But before you give me a gobful, this track is in my all time top 10 records, bought it when it came out and still play it regularly. It's FANTASTIC. Just can't see the Northern connection :(

Social source share

I'm losing track of what this topic is about, I thought it was about pop records that sounded like Northern records? But before you give me a gobful, this track is in my all time top 10 records, bought it when it came out and still play it regularly. It's FANTASTIC. Just can't see the Northern connection :thumbup:

When's that ever stopped a record being "Northern"? :thumbsup: . True a bit off topic,,i blame the wine that night.

Social source share

Guest JerryL

QUOTE (ImberBoy @ Apr 2 09, 04:19 PM)

Met Corrine drury Last year and she's the nicest uneffected person you could meet, great lookin (still) and did a set that included all her hits and she spiced them up with a funky beat......Top Show from a Top Lady. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Herbie Hancock - I Thought It Was You

Robert Palmer - You Are In My System

and last but not least, this stunner from David Byrne

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert