Bidding Has Begun On Frank Wilson

Why wouldn't it seem right?.....if you want it, buy it.....I hope it comes downunder the media exposure here would ensure more expats that have 'moved on' would see that there is a vibrant scene here & rekindle their passion for the music they love.

KTF

Baz

And maybe grab the attention of some younger fans. Ooh Err....God Forbid eh? wink.gif

Social source share

• Replies 145
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest bazabod_downunder

Absoulutely not Dave, in fact you're right, may encourage some younger affectionados which there are already a few, they of course have to make way for all us old crustys on zimmer frames, wheelchairs & walking sticks....lol.....plus if Pete does win it I'm sure you'll get to see it before the rest of us.

KTF

Baz

And maybe grab the attention of some younger fans. Ooh Err....God Forbid eh? wink.gif
Social source share

Guest Scobie

Andy - how are you doing mate, good I hope.

Now then, Johnny Coupland - I am sure that everybody on here from the Spalding area knows him - the last time I met up with him just a couple of years back, we talked at length about NS sounds & the scene in general & he definately would have mentioned it to me if he had a copy & he definately would have showed me. It says in the article that he won it on an american auction 10 years ago, I dont think so.

I reckon if you check the date on the Lincs Free Press it was probably the April Fools issue, barring that its pure Bull Shit.

I never have liked the Lincs Free Press or what they print after the front page who ha they made in 1974 about a doctors son being done for various drug offences, they did'nt even give me a chance to explain that I was merely carrying on the family trade.

I dont think what they have printed is Johnny talking otherwise the whole world would have known about it before now.

If I am wrong - good on im - scobie

It's a big claim to make .. or is it just poor reporting ??
Social source share

Guest Scobie

That must be due to the fact that another copy has surfaced in Spalding, without a tampered label, unless Johnny has already signed it laugh.gif:D:(:P

Just out of interest as the price gone down since yesterday thought it was £18831 now its £18031 excl.gif
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I find it odd that someone would want to spend this amount of money on a below average soul record. It would appear that owning a Frank Wilson heralds the start of a mid life crisis, perhaps the bidder has also made a down payment on a motorbike.

Who is the mystery bidder ? My money is on Freddie Goodwin. huh.gif

Social source share

I find it odd that someone would want to spend this amount of money on a below average soul record. It would appear that owning a Frank Wilson heralds the start of a mid life crisis, perhaps the bidder has also made a down payment on a motorbike.

Who is the mystery bidder ? My money is on Freddie Goodwin. huh.gif

The mystery bidder isn't a mystery at all. He's on SS using the same name

Social source share

Andy - how are you doing mate, good I hope.

Now then, Johnny Coupland - I am sure that everybody on here from the Spalding area knows him - the last time I met up with him just a couple of years back, we talked at length about NS sounds & the scene in general & he definately would have mentioned it to me if he had a copy & he definately would have showed me. It says in the article that he won it on an american auction 10 years ago, I dont think so.

I reckon if you check the date on the Lincs Free Press it was probably the April Fools issue, barring that its pure Bull Shit.

i'd say thats a bout right. 'bull shit'. its not that long ago that johnny had his shop in spalding and he never said anything about a frank wilson. i think it was just a plug for his soul night.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

The mystery bidder isn't a mystery at all. He's on SS using the same name

Oh right. I stand corrected like the man in the orthopedic shoes.

Social source share

With regards to the writing on the label of a record, ordinarily it would reduce the value considerably.

I'm not so sure in this case.

FW is totally unique as far as records go and the writing on the label is part of the history and the provenance of the record.

And provenance is a big thing when it comes to collecting anything.

Social source share

Guest Scobie

When I buy on Ebay I use Bidnapper & leave a whacking bid that goes in at the last 2 or 3 seconds of the auction & can only be beaten by somebody more stupid than me that is also using Bidnapper, which is not usually the case.

I am sure that nearly all those that are up for this 45 will have already placed an initial bid to enable registration for the final part of the auction but if they are sensible will not want to push the price up until the last 30 minutes or so.

I doubt you can use Bidnapper on Johnnys auctions but the theory still remains.

scobie (ex antique dealer & ringer ) shhh.gif

Bidding seems to have stalled for the time being :D
Social source share

Guest familytree

With regards to the writing on the label of a record, ordinarily it would reduce the value considerably.

I'm not so sure in this case.

FW is totally unique as far as records go and the writing on the label is part of the history and the provenance of the record.

And provenance is a big thing when it comes to collecting anything.

yes i thought that joan but it was pointed out it says 'to kenny' then the signiture so they reckon thats whats devalued it but hey dont look like hes gonna lose out! :boxing: x

Social source share

When I buy on Ebay I use Bidnapper & leave a whacking bid that goes in at the last 2 or 3 seconds of the auction & can only be beaten by somebody more stupid than me that is also using Bidnapper, which is not usually the case.

I am sure that nearly all those that are up for this 45 will have already placed an initial bid to enable registration for the final part of the auction but if they are sensible will not want to push the price up until the last 30 minutes or so.

I doubt you can use Bidnapper on Johnnys auctions but the theory still remains.

scobie (ex antique dealer & ringer ) :D

Ex antique dealer and "ringer" now I wonder if any one knows what you mean :thumbsup: youve made me wonder if I should set up a website

ebayknockout.com it would be hard to work out the shares though :D (sorry antique dealers in joke) havent seen you for a while not looming in Spalding any more then?? I dont suppose you need any stock :(

steve

www.oldbarnantiques.co.uk

Edited by sjay
Social source share

now up to £21,043, ohmy.gif:ohmy::ohmy:

that really was my last bid, :thumbsup::D

I rememeber Jonathan(son of sam)Woodcliffe asking me if i wanted FW,as he wanted my Robby Lawson,Jimmy Mack and Professionals,maybe i should have taken up the offer....i wanst sure if it was real as i had pressing of Eddie Foster and it looked better!!!! :lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest hatman

I remember being on the coach to St Ives when Jonathon let the FW slip from his hand and it rolled the full length of the bus!!

Social source share

Guest Scobie

There you go I am mad enough :lol::lol:

Anybody that can afford to bid on Frank Wilson can afford to pay GBP25.00 for this unique high quality XL Tee Shirt :lol::lol:

If you are skinny I can make a different size.

Price includes P&P by International Signed for post from Indonesia.

Go for it !!

KTF - Scobie

BTW - whats it at now ??

Only 5 days to go.

IBIDONFRANKWILSONteeshirt.jpg

surely some bright spark will print t shirts..." I BID ON FRANK WILSON"....... :lol: ...with label scan
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

The dollar is currently so strong against the pound . . . . . . 30% + up on where it was a year ago.

That must surely up the ante that it will be heading to the U.S.??

Social source share

There you go I am mad enough :thumbup::lol:

Anybody that can afford to bid on Frank Wilson can afford to pay GBP25.00 for this unique high quality XL Tee Shirt :):)

If you are skinny I can make a different size.

Price includes P&P by International Signed for post from Indonesia.

Go for it !!

KTF - Scobie

BTW - whats it at now ??

Only 5 days to go.

IBIDONFRANKWILSONteeshirt.jpg

my commission is 5% of sales.... :lol::yes::D
Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

ridiculous, not even rare, hoiw many were pressed, how many demos, must be hundreds :ohmy:

Throwing money away... Not even that desirable, how much for a black IN pressing, then ? £50..

Truly bonkers , makes me feel better about my record buying, i feel almost sensible rolleyes.gif

Social source share

They found out it was a karver? :D:thumbsup:

Or its Saturday morning and hasnt made an appearence yet?....its still in its trailor B)

:(

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Going by what it was before it went private i think early predictions of £30k will probably be just about right. I suppose we might never know the final figure.

Social source share

Guest familytree

it's private auction now for those of us who already bid

it's on the left of the home page now

does that mean you cant watch even if you have joined johns site?????!!!! i want my 50p back then! grrrr x

Social source share

Guest milo761847

See Manships gone private behind closed doors just to make even more frustrating. Private bidders only left.

Looks like we will have to wait while end of auction to reveal final winning bid. :wave:

Social source share

Guest milo761847
Going by what it was before it went private i think early predictions of £30k will probably be just about right. I suppose we might never know the final figure.
Wouldn't suprice me if someone whos minted comes in and buys the record. someone who probably has never heard it even played.
Social source share

See Manships gone private behind closed doors just to make even more frustrating. Private bidders only left.

Looks like we will have to wait while end of auction to reveal final winning bid. :wave:

If you read the rules from the start you would know it was going private at some stage and the current price is always on show.....it's on John's front page.

Chalky on Andy's PC

Social source share

it's private auction now for those of us who already bid

it's on the left of the home page now

Wear that shirt with pride :thumbup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Had it in my head that the auction was finishing tomorrow - but JM website now showing SOLD for £25742.

Anyone claiming ownership . . . . . . . !!??

Social source share

who ever is running a book on the winning bid price, put me down for £85,000.

You may not be far off the mark there Jules...

Btw: my bet: If it's Kenny's copy £35000, if it's a minter £60000.

I would'nt bet against it Pete

as I stated earlier theres a lot of people out there with a lot of money taboot

It may not seem a sound investment to us at some of the prices quoted, but if this is a 100% 3rd copy in lets assume mint condition, then youre gonna see plenty of interest, and lets remember theres lots of millionaire collectors worlwide .

I mean lets put it in perspective, to a very rich collector its £60k or maybe a new motor thats gonna be worth a few grand a few years down the line.

The thing is Pete, to joe public like most of us on here, we have many many things we need money for, where bye there are a fotunate few who maybe dont have them worries, and fancy one of the worlds most elusive pieces of vinyl.

so i predict well over £15,000 at least £30,000 or something it will go to and hoping it's a Northern soul collector.

Jimmys Lambretta off Quadrophenia recently made gbp 36,000 , it was purchased by a nightclub owner in Scotland for display & as an investment ?

Compared to the value of some of the items in the Hard Rock Cafes collection 50 grand for a Frank Wilson original would be peanuts & in the first instant allowable against tax.

This record is unique - its the only copy with BIG felt writing on :lol:

I think it will make big money. Goldmine suggesting $100 grand, there are a lot of very very wealthy music lovers out there, who would love to own the worlds most expensive 45, possibly not even caring about what the track sounds like or the meaning that it has for the Northern Soul Community.

Thats my take - NB

im sure it will do over 40k wonder if the motown demo with picture sleeve will go up?

laugh.gif:thumbsup::ohmy:

Sorry Guys!!!!

No harm meant. Just couldn't resist :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert