Bidding Has Begun On Frank Wilson

Don't know if it's legally binding, but according to the terms and conditions, you need to have a 2k credit. If you want to be in the final stage. If you win and fail to pay within 14 days, you'll be charged that 2k.

6 days before the auction's end, bidders will have a password to enter a private stage of the auction, where only they would be able to bid. Although, we mortals will be able to see the current price at any time.

Feel kinda weird. World crisis, poverty and unemployment and it's already at 17 521 GBP. The strange worlds of northern soul and capitalism :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Dante

Will the auction rules apply as usual.?.Whereas after each bid near the end time , the auction is extended by 1 minute or so,to give the other bidders a chance to reconsider?.Or will it end on the dot.?

Social source share

• Replies 145
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest familytree

oh brill thanks.. that did the trick... bit like watchin paint dry though!.. thought it would be rapid increases/name changes etc?.. mind you at that price i suppose you have to be cautious... hey the bidder is 'chorleybloke' is that the same guy from on here, living in australia?... we could all ahve a go with 25 days on it!... shall we start a little side bet.. bit like 'chicken' game.. we all bid on it and see who out of us all has the guts to go the highest before pulling out and letting the money men in?!.... were would you stop to be safe?!.... i will go 19,340k :thumbsup: im going in!... cowards need not apply x

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Yes...Pete from Perth WA....I bet Maxine his missus doesn't know...lol......just looked at the bid history, two bidders from Australia the other being another well known collector.....so it could be coming downunder......if it does I suspect that it'll be collected personally so it doesn't end up like Don Garner - The Cheating Kind....& if it does there's a distinct possibility that it may get an 'outing' at this years national.

KTF

Baz

oh brill thanks.. that did the trick... bit like watchin paint dry though!.. thought it would be rapid increases/name changes etc?.. mind you at that price i suppose you have to be cautious... hey the bidder is 'chorleybloke' is that the same guy from on here, living in australia?... we could all ahve a go with 25 days on it!... shall we start a little side bet.. bit like 'chicken' game.. we all bid on it and see who out of us all has the guts to go the highest before pulling out and letting the money men in?!.... were would you stop to be safe?!.... i will go 19,340k :yes: im going in!... cowards need not apply x
Edited by bazabod_downunder
Social source share

Guest familytree

Yes...Pete from Perth WA....I bet Maxine his missus doesn't know...lol......just looked at the bid history, two bidders from Australia the other being another well known collector.....so it could be coming downunder.

KTF

Baz

well tell them to keep t out of the sun for gods sake! :yes: x

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I imagine some uber rich rock star with a loathing for Motown buying it, then proceeding to destroy it with a Water Song (Kung Fu) Sword By Paul Chen , you know the type from Wushu practitioners for swords the ones with ultra-flexible blades. With a spring steel blade, tapering to almost paper thin at the tip, it is very light (barely one pound), extremely fast and surprisingly loud in skilled hands................. All just to prove a point.........

Social source share

Guest familytree

I imagine some uber rich rock star with a loathing for Motown buying it, then proceeding to destroy it with a Water Song (Kung Fu) Sword By Paul Chen , you know the type from Wushu practitioners for swords the ones with ultra-flexible blades. With a spring steel blade, tapering to almost paper thin at the tip, it is very light (barely one pound), extremely fast and surprisingly loud in skilled hands................. All just to prove a point.........

you have a very colourful imagination! :yes: but it would make a great ending to the film about the record if it were ever made!? x

Social source share

You know, I might just do that Brett :D But I would not use the flashy sword, just the bare-handed kung fu stuff :yes: . Nice idea - it would put us all out of our misery - ... and then there was one! :D

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Wow! F*ck the record, just gimme the sword! :shades:

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

well you know now it's going for sale and will fetch a lot of money you know that they say the credit crunch don't affect Northern soul in many ways

amount of sales dropping from CD's and vinyl cause everyone downloading (someone will prob download the Frank Wilson for free or pay say 79p on itunes) and yet here we are seeing someone buy an original copy for thousands goes to show how strange the world of Northern soul is and never to be beaten in the credit crunch

Social source share

With the amount of publicity this is generating outside the NS scene can we look forward to increased attendances at venues this summer, Wigan oldies going for record prices , Northern Soul is the new black?

And God help us........... A Cover Version :wave::)

yep heres one, :wave::g:unsure.gif:wave:

Social source share

Guest Scobie

not true kris - an extremely wealthy ex customer of mine recently lost 200 million euros that he had invested in a european bank that went tits up - it didnt destroy him but he certainly knew about it :)

i have no pity - the bloke in question is a right arse*ole

100 thousand quid for these kind of people is peanuts - i just hope that the wilson disc goes to a genuine collector who appreciates NS & doesnt get stuck in some bank vault for pure investment purposes.

scobie

Genuinely rich people know no depression or recession.
Social source share

Great link!The TNJs record John is auctioning for me is the record before it!

Should help the single I am reluctantly selling get some attention.(The TNJs is incidentally a superb New Jersey double sider from the group who I think I read worked with Bunny Sigler)

If you can not afford Frank , maybe you could bid a few grand on that one!

cheers

francis t

Personally I'd save my money and spend it on Francis' TNJ's. Which is a far more soulful record. I've been caning this on my ipod recently. It's amazing. Only found out today what it was.... Superness. Keep it!

Social source share

Um, just a small point Sebastian. Your link takes me to the auction and I am able to bid without entering ID or password. Who am I logged in as? You?

How's your bank account looking!!! :lol:

J.

Haha! No, I'm not taking the hit... :P

You're not logged in by just going to the link above and you can't bid, if you do you just get an error message. So no worries! :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

I was going to bid my lottery numbers.

No, I don't mean I was going to bid an 8 figure sum, I mean if I won I was going to give them my lottery numbers. I'm about due for a win...

Social source share

Guest familytree

ive started a thread about damaged labels and ive asked this before with regard to the signiture on this record... is it not worth having it removed if its true that its less valuable because of it? its got to be possible, its only ink!

its an odd one that its devalued it to me as it is the singer himself, shouldnt it be worth more? thats how it works for art, we dont moan because monet signed his painting... if im missing something feel free to point it out but go easy, im sensitive! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

ive started a thread about damaged labels and ive asked this before with regard to the signiture on this record... is it not worth having it removed if its true that its less valuable because of it? its got to be possible, its only ink!

its an odd one that its devalued it to me as it is the singer himself, shouldnt it be worth more? thats how it works for art, we dont moan because monet signed his painting... if im missing something feel free to point it out but go easy, im sensitive! :thumbsup:

yeah but monet never signed the painting to Kenny lol

Social source share

Guest familytree

yeah but monet never signed the painting to Kenny lol

ahh got it thanks!... so if it was just his signiture and not 'to kenny'it would have been ok, more valuable than one without?..

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

its an odd one that its devalued it to me as it is the singer himself, shouldnt it be worth more? thats how it works for art, we dont moan because monet signed his painting... if im missing something feel free to point it out but go easy, im sensitive! :wave:

I think the difference with paintings is that signatures are proof of authorship and necessary, it's all about provenance, whereas this is an autograph and not needed to prove who made the record. Personally i don't like it and i agree with you that for me it feels devalued because of the signature, i like a nice clean label, mind you i'm not bidding on it and i doubt it will go for less because of the autograph tongue.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest familytree

I think the difference with paintings is that signatures are proof of authorship and necessary, it's all about provenance, whereas this is an autograph and not needed to prove who made the record. Personally i don't like it and i agree with you that for me it feels devalued because of the signature, i like a nice clean label, mind you i'm not bidding on it and i doubt it will go for less because of the autograph :lol:

yes i know what you mean... was a little tongue in cheek with the 'monet' comment :wave: its just that in earlier threads the signiture has been mentioned as a complete no no and that it effected its value, that being the case im curious how old kenny was when he got him to sign it!... should he not have known better as a collector?? or at least not have him put 'to kenny' :no:

and would you have it taken off if you owned it baring in mind its value, got to be worth it.. or would its removal devalue it AGAIN!... Im confusing myself now! huh.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

and would you have it taken off if you owned it baring in mind its value, got to be worth it.. or would its removal devalue it AGAIN!... Im confusing myself now! :wave:

laugh.gif Yeah good point, because then it would have been tampered with even further. I'm not even sure it could be removed but no i probably wouldn't if i was the buyer. I'm sure there are probably people who buy art that feel the restoration of paintings is a devaluing of the original.

Social source share

Well looks like someone is claiming to own another copy ,its from an article in our local paper a couple of months back to promote a motown night , hes been kind enough to give his number maybe john manship should ring him and see if he wants to sell it!!

frankwilson001-1.jpg

Social source share

Well looks like someone is claiming to own another copy ,its from an article in our local paper a couple of months back to promote a motown night , hes been kind enough to give his number maybe john manship should ring him and see if he wants to sell it!!

Hi Steve as he is local to you, do you know him? Sounds a very odd story. Steve

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm surprised the Spalding Today website isn't white hot by now :ohmy:

Here's the link fellow mischief makers... whistling.gif

Spalding Today

Social source share

Hi Steve as he is local to you, do you know him? Sounds a very odd story. Steve

Hi Steve yes I know him, strange thing to claim I think , go on someone ring him whistling.gif

steve

Social source share

frankwilson001-1.jpg

was this issue 1st of April ph34r.gif

Social source share

was this issue 1st of April ph34r.gif

no its a genuine article he put in the Lincolnshire Free Press a couple of months ago to promote his Motown night :ohmy:

Social source share

Well done Steve !! I'm just popping around Johnnies now just to have a quick peek ph34r.gif

:ohmy::Dlaugh.giflaugh.gif

Best be quick Carl Ive heard theres a bit of a queue forming,Jez Porter is at the front!!!

Social source share

I really do hope that whoever buys the record is in the UK. It wouldn't seem right somehow for it to go across the globe somewhere. At least Kenny took it around the circuit and played it out and gave a good few of us a chance of actually holding it and despite me not actually liking the tune, it gave me one hell of a buzz to know it was THE top priced tune on the scene that I held in my hands. A massive thanks to Kenny for that and for playing it out all these years.

Social source share

THERE'S A CATCH !! YOU HAVE TO PAY A SMALL ADDMISSION PRICE TO VIEW £100 & TO TOUCH £200 , JEZ IS READY TO BURN HIS HOUSE DOWN IF HE HAS TO PAY :D

Bet he would let you have a look if you got him a pint :ohmy:whistling.gif ..........................................

Social source share

Personally I'd save my money and spend it on Francis' TNJ's. Which is a far more soulful record. I've been caning this on my ipod recently. It's amazing. Only found out today what it was.... Superness. Keep it!

With you on that :lol:

It puts things in perspective on the quality versus rarity debate... :lol:

TNJ's .........top soul tune :lol:

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Why wouldn't it seem right?.....if you want it, buy it.....I hope it comes downunder the media exposure here would ensure more expats that have 'moved on' would see that there is a vibrant scene here & rekindle their passion for the music they love.

KTF

Baz

I really do hope that whoever buys the record is in the UK. It wouldn't seem right somehow for it to go across the globe somewhere. At least Kenny took it around the circuit and played it out and gave a good few of us a chance of actually holding it and despite me not actually liking the tune, it gave me one hell of a buzz to know it was THE top priced tune on the scene that I held in my hands. A massive thanks to Kenny for that and for playing it out all these years.
Social source share

I'd quite like to see it disappear (back?) into the Motown archives.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Just out of interest as the price gone down since yesterday thought it was £18831 now its £18031 :lol:

Maybe it's because that 4th copy turned up in Spalding... :lol:

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Maybe it's because that 4th copy turned up in Spalding... :thumbsup:

I dont know about anyone else but the expression 'more money than sense' springs to mind .

If I had a million in the sky rocket I still wouldnt bid.

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

ve always thought that Money was the first ever Motown release in the UK??

Also we all know what the media are like for artistic B*****S*****

Rick

Edited by Scarborosoul
Social source share

I've called a few times but nobody answers & I left a message but no response.

I wanted to establish the facts on the article as it was very pertinent to the piece I was doing for John Manship to accompany the auction

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/the_frank_wilson_story.htm

It's a big claim to make .. or is it just poor reporting ??

Andy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert