Bidding Has Begun On Frank Wilson

• Replies 145
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well Bidding has begun on Manships and the previous record has been broken. Currently £15019 at 11.59 2nd Feb but with the final day being the 29th of April it looks like it could go a lot higher! I'm not in the running but will follow with interest.Good luck punters!

Now that the auction has started,it now goes to show it was Kennys copy not a total new one!!!!!!!

So there are only two copies that exsist!!!!

Unless some guy in London has one!!!???????

Social source share

talking about rare Motown, did you see the Supremes - those D.J. Shows - acetate on ebay.

Buy it now 25.000 !!!

https://cgi.ebay.com/MEGA-MOTOWN-SUPREMES-A...A1%7C240%3A1318

£17000. inc free shipping if i spent that i would want to go and collect it... imagine that turning up in the post with a rice crispy packet as a stiffner!!! :wave:

just out of intrest did anyone see the starting price of the frank wilson?

Social source share

Starting bid was £1.

How ever big the hype or rare the record was imagine how you would feel after spending £15000 on a record to see it start at a £1.. you would be watching it every 10 minutes stressing.. at least Kenny can relax now..

Social source share

Just imagine...

Someone attempts to show off and has a bid (with no intention of buying it), just so they can say they bid on it. What would happen to them if the ended up being the winning bidder? Would they have to complete the transaction? Does John Manships auctions differ from Ebay, is it legally binding? :hypo:

PS I have no intention of bidding. My Tamla Motown copy is sufficient enough for me. :wave:

Edited by Supercorsa
Social source share

My wife called me down from my office this morning @ 8 saying "hey Mark, John Manship's on the radio" - now, my wife has no idea who John actually is, all she knows about him is that she sometimes sees his name on emails in my inbox...John was on 6Music this morning talking about the FW auction - anybody else hear it? 'rarest record in the world' and 'most valuable record in the world' were both being bandied about...

Must be pretty big news if the Beeb are covering it? I wonder if Trevor McDoughnut will mention it as "the last item" on News At Ten on the day the auction ends...? "And finally, over to Melton Mowbray for a look into the strange world of Northern Soul record collecting..."

:thumbsup::wicked:

Social source share

talking about rare Motown, did you see the Supremes - those D.J. Shows - acetate on ebay.

Buy it now 25.000 !!!

https://cgi.ebay.com/MEGA-MOTOWN-SUPREMES-A...A1%7C240%3A1318

Funny, like his sentence:

"WOW !!!! SO THERE IT IS ALL THERE FOR THE TAKING AT A SMALL PRICE CONSIDERING THAT JOHN MANSHIP WILL BE AUCTIONING THE FRANK WILSON ON SOUL FOR A SUM OF 100,000 DOLLARS !"

though..

Still I wonder where he got the 100.000 USD from as well as his very own starting bid..I mean if any unreleased Jobete acetate will fetch sums like that I am a nearly a milionaire without knowing...I think its all down to the Motown 50th anniversary "hype".

Back to "DILYIID", just how "nice" it is to see it advertised! If he himself, Frank Wilson, still stands to his offer of 50.000 UKP I am sure thats what the 45 will make at least. Maybe less 100 UK for his very own writing on label LOL.

Maybe certain American(s) will get involved as well in which case I could see this making even more. One thing I am almost pretty certain about...either way the winner won`t be living in Europe incl. Britain.

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Maybe certain American(s) will get involved as well in which case I could see this making even more. One thing I am almost pretty certain about...either way the winner won`t be living in Europe incl. Britain.

Marc

I was thinking this as well. I wonder if the eventual buyer will even be revealed. It'll be a shame if it disappears into some private Motown collection never to see the light of day (or a turntable at a nighter in Britain) ever again. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Great link!The TNJs record John is auctioning for me is the record before it!

Should help the single I am reluctantly selling get some attention.(The TNJs is incidentally a superb New Jersey double sider from the group who I think I read worked with Bunny Sigler)

If you can not afford Frank , maybe you could bid a few grand on that one!

cheers

francis t

Social source share

My wife called me down from my office this morning @ 8 saying "hey Mark, John Manship's on the radio" - now, my wife has no idea who John actually is, all she knows about him is that she sometimes sees his name on emails in my inbox...John was on 6Music this morning talking about the FW auction - anybody else hear it? 'rarest record in the world' and 'most valuable record in the world' were both being bandied about...

Frank Wilson was on public radio this morning...didn't hear much of it, but I'm assuming it was about the record.

Social source share

Is it just me or is it a bit weird auctioning a UK copy with the pic sleeve at the same time as the US original (check the auction site)???

Cheers

Richard

I bet that copy goes for silly price not as much as the real one but people will be caught up in Frank Wilson fever

Social source share

As is says, the Frank Wilson copy with the promotional sleeve is the first Uk press Demo on TMG 1170 and so is collectable and reasonably rare in its own right for a Motown record.Normally now worth about £100 but will probably go for more.. A record like anything else is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Prices can go up and down but it is definately the best time to sell it.Paul.

Social source share

Is this the copy that was aledgedly 'lifted' from the Motown reference library ph34r.gif , If it is, and does go for 50K or more do you think that claims of rightful ownwership will be launched? :unsure:

No, it's Ron Murphy's old copy which Kenny had which was apparently originally purchased from the owner of the pressing plant. Tim Brown's copy is the one which was 'liberated' from the Motown library. However, I believe the statute of limitations has run out (6 years I believe) and it would difficult to launch any kind of action I believe since that copy has gone through so many owners over the years......

Ian D :wave:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

would i be right in thinking that with 6 days to go , we , the public , won' be able to see the live auction ?

sorry just read the end bit where it states that the current price will be displayed on the homepage ...... still i'd like to see the live auction along with every other tune auctioned

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

would i be right in thinking that with 6 days to go , we , the public , won' be able to see the live auction ?

sorry just read the end bit where it states that the current price will be displayed on the homepage ...... still i'd like to see the live auction along with every other tune auctioned

I'd do another edit and alter that to 26 days as well mate :unsure:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I'd do another edit and alter that to 26 days as well mate :unsure:

i'm sure it says with 6 days to go only previous bidders who register to continue to the final stage will be able to access a special area that includes the live auction

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

i'm sure it says with 6 days to go only previous bidders who register to continue to the final stage will be able to access a special area that includes the live auction

In a way this might be wise, can you imagine how many people will be logged on at the time the auction ends....

oops the madness must have started early, cannot even log on now... :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Scobie

how many do you want :unsure:laugh.gif:wave:

scobie

surely some bright spark will print t shirts..." I BID ON FRANK WILSON"....... :wave: ...with label scan
Social source share

Must be pretty big news if the Beeb are covering it? I wonder if Trevor McDoughnut will mention it as "the last item" on News At Ten on the day the auction ends...? "And finally, over to Melton Mowbray for a look into the strange world of Northern Soul record collecting..."

:unsure:laugh.gif

That's the general plan Mark....... :wave:

Ian D :wave:

Social source share

Guest Dante

Just imagine...

Someone attempts to show off and has a bid (with no intention of buying it), just so they can say they bid on it. What would happen to them if the ended up being the winning bidder? Would they have to complete the transaction? Does John Manships auctions differ from Ebay, is it legally binding? unsure.gif

PS I have no intention of bidding. My Tamla Motown copy is sufficient enough for me. :unsure:

Don't know if it's legally binding, but according to the terms and conditions, you need to have a 2k credit. If you want to be in the final stage. If you win and fail to pay within 14 days, you'll be charged that 2k.

6 days before the auction's end, bidders will have a password to enter a private stage of the auction, where only they would be able to bid. Although, we mortals will be able to see the current price at any time.

Feel kinda weird. World crisis, poverty and unemployment and it's already at 17 521 GBP. The strange worlds of northern soul and capitalism :wave:

Cheers,

Dante

Social source share

:wave::wave:

With the amount of publicity this is generating outside the NS scene can we look forward to increased attendances at venues this summer, Wigan oldies going for record prices , Northern Soul is the new black?

And God help us........... A Cover Version ohmy.gif:unsure:

Social source share

Great link!The TNJs record John is auctioning for me is the record before it!

Should help the single I am reluctantly selling get some attention.(The TNJs is incidentally a superb New Jersey double sider from the group who I think I read worked with Bunny Sigler)

If you can not afford Frank , maybe you could bid a few grand on that one!

cheers

francis t

Agreed Francis, that TNJ's is great. Found my copy in LA years ago, always rated it very highly. But they are a top group anyway - no duffers at all in their repertoire.

Social source share

Guest Morgen-Mantel

Wolfgang Vondoof is turning in his grave for not being able to have a go :wave:ohmy.gif:wave:

He already had 2 x 25 count boxes of it direct from the recycling plant :lol: Barack & Michelle Obama are collecting them to take back to the White House to make "Cup Coasters" in the Oval office :unsure:

M-M

Social source share

He already had 2 x 25 count boxes of it direct from the recycling plant wink.gif Barack & Michelle Obama are collecting them to take back to the White House to make "Cup Coasters" in the Oval office :thumbsup:

M-M

Sorry to upset you Morgen, but it's now April 3rd! :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert