Litte Willie John - Country Girl

I recently got blown away with hearing this played by Roger Banks @ sixhills allnighter. I understand this is the record that everyone seems is raving about that Ady and the chosen few have got copies and playing.

So if it's unreleased and there are no acetate copies, surely it's a vinyl carver that people are playing if so whats stopping people getting carvers done??? I know i'd like a copy :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest northernmod

If it's a carver you're doing for yourself to DJ with go ahead. It'll be just as authentic as the others as the track is now released and available and will help promote the CD we are selling so the labels will be chuffed too. It's a bit good innit!

Any chance of a Kent 45 release?

I just had my Luther Ingram "oh baby don't you weep" and it's great quality vinyl and piece of music (of course lol)!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Any chance of a Kent 45 release?

I just had my Luther Ingram "oh baby don't you weep" and it's great quality vinyl and piece of music (of course lol)!

We did try to clear it for Ady for one side of the last 100 Club Anniversary single, but things didn't happen quickly enough.

There are better dancers on the CD IMO, especially "I Need Someone", one of the half dozen greatest LWJ recordings of all time.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony who's the footballer in your avatar?

The late, undeniably great Harry Cripps, forever the King of Cold Blow Lane...

Social source share

If it's a carver you're doing for yourself to DJ with go ahead. It'll be just as authentic as the others as the track is now released and available and will help promote the CD we are selling so the labels will be chuffed too. It's a bit good innit!

It's by far the best track I've heard for ages, Rnb at it's best for me. I bet even soulies who dont like Rnb love it :thumbup:

cheers

Callum.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

It's by far the best track I've heard for ages, Rnb at it's best for me. I bet even soulies who dont like Rnb love it laugh.gif

cheers

Callum.

Woah! Just heard this, what a blinder :thumbsup: . So (Ady or anyone) am I correct in assuming it was found on a master tape & no studio acetates were ever cut? In which case could it be legitimately spun from a carver at a gig that has an "originals only" policy? :lol:

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

Woah! Just heard this, what a blinder :thumbsup: . So (Ady or anyone) am I correct in assuming it was found on a master tape & no studio acetates were ever cut? In which case could it be legitimately spun from a carver at a gig that has an "originals only" policy? :lol:

Cheers

Pete

Spot on and when they ask for a copy tell 'em to get the CD, there are other great tracks on there too.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Actually there IS one 'original acetate' in existence - H B Barnum's copy of the acetate for the whole album!

It's now in the possession of a fellow Sourcer, who is coming to the UK for a 'vacation' soon...

...Pix of the acetate labels are in the CD booklet.

Actually we must all thank the most excellent Billy Vera for suggesting to Ace (via me) that we should try to liberate this great material from tape shelf limbo. I thought that the tapes had been destroyed but, at BV's urging, I did some further research and found that they were alive and well.

So, BV, our collective head is off to you, my friend...

Social source share

Cheers

Pete

King did release it on 78rpm, so I guess if you got the needles and the right setting on your decks, you could claim Original! :lol:

Social source share

It's by far the best track I've heard for ages, Rnb at it's best for me. I bet even soulies who dont like Rnb love it :thumbsup:

cheers

Callum.

Yes Callum some soulies do like R'n'B as in authentic sounding 60's hard edged productions by Black artists and not the aweful cowboy sounding rubbish that some palm off as the style, Willie John is a prime example of this style and is about as good as it get's.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

King did release it on 78rpm, so I guess if you got the needles and the right setting on your decks, you could claim Original! :thumbsup:

No you can't, as I said in a previous post that's a completely different recording. Although it's certainly the original to which you're referring....

Social source share

"NINETEEN SIXTY SIX: THE DAVID AXELROD & HB BARNUM SESSIONS" CDKEND 305 an LP he did for Capitol with those great producers while he was out of the nick on license, he died soon after.

The King CD is earlier more R&B stuff, a lot of the Capitols are soul.

David Axelrod? Now there's a talent!! The man was an effing GENIUS............how many sessions did that guy oversee during his tenure as in-house head honcho @ Capitol in the 50s / 60s / 70s.....? A LOT - that's how many.........

I'd like to join his gene pool!!

Gad Bless his white ass.............MRez

Social source share

David Axelrod? Now there's a talent!! The man was an effing GENIUS............how many sessions did that guy oversee during his tenure as in-house head honcho @ Capitol in the 50s / 60s / 70s.....? A LOT - that's how many.........

I'd like to join his gene pool!!

Gad Bless his white ass.............MRez

HB's story about meeting him was something like he saw him getting mugged in a park and chased the muggers away. HB was a handy boxer and all round good egg.

Social source share

• 6 months later...

We did try to clear it for Ady for one side of the last 100 Club Anniversary single, but things didn't happen quickly enough.

There are better dancers on the CD IMO, especially "I Need Someone", one of the half dozen greatest LWJ recordings of all time.

'I Need Someone' on Kent Select best release this year so far, this is such a quality track and deserves to be played out and become massive. Here's the info from the Ace site:

The CD sensation of 2008 yields two 60s soul dance masterpieces that were crying out for a vinyl press. 'Home At Last' is the most infectious super-tempo rhythm'n'soul played out for the last couple of decades, while the classic Northern soul flip has HB Barnum's arrangements written all over it.

Interesting the H B Barnum references, I was listening to David McCallum's HB produced 45 'Communication' and the instrumentation could be from the same session.

Tony, Ady thanks for this release.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert