The Greatest Voice

Guest Trevski

Not your favorite song, or singer, as some haven't a great voice, but can really sing, but who has the most amazing voice/vocal style, you have ever heard? No top 10's or even top 3's but the one

Hands down for me, whatever genre, Ella Fitzgerald.

Close run thing between her and Sassy boxing.gif

Male vocal wise I can't decide between Tyrone Davis or Oscar Perry both have the laid back styles that I love and both could sing the phone directory

Social source share

• Replies 71
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest stevejan

Not your favorite song, or singer, as some haven't a great voice, but can really sing, but who has the most amazing voice/vocal style, you have ever heard? No top 10's or even top 3's but the one

So so difficult.....depends on the moment...staying in tonight as i'm feeling a bit under the weather....listening to Frankie Beverley...got to be one of the great vocalists of all time,his live shows were something special(might do another reply tomorrow and the it could be Aretha,Marvin. Bobby Womack,Lenny Williams......see what I mean about the moment?.....Oh just pulled a Dells LP out...Yep tonight its the mighty Marvin Junior....LOL

Social source share

:D Hi a good one? Aretha Franklin by far the greatest female soul singer even on ballads and she is almost talking a song its pure magic I would love to see her live. as for male there are so many Marvin Gaye Sam Cooke Walter Jackson Wilson Picket But on record Stand By Me by Spyder Turner is one of my faves but all time record after record and for all his great songs it must be Jackie Wilson however in true rare soul collectors mind set I could easy say the same for Otis Reading I no these are predictable but they are the all the kings of soul :D DAVE KIL
:D i I forgot to put the in the Chicago vocals the Butler Bros Jerry & billy the Major himself Gene Chandler Marvin Smith Curtis Mayfield and on the Rock Steady early Reggae Pat Kelly, Alton Ellis & the Flames, and the UniqueS all records by them are classics biggrin.gifHOWEVER THE MOST FAMOUSE VOICE AFTER GIVING IT MUCH THOUGHT? IT HAS TO BE THE GREATEST BLUES , R&B SINGER FROM DETRIOT MICHIGAN THE ONE AND ONLY Mr JOHN LEE HOOKER? BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!? WHAT A VOICE :D DAVE KIL
Social source share

Guest stevejan

So so difficult.....depends on the moment...staying in tonight as i'm feeling a bit under the weather....listening to Frankie Beverley...got to be one of the great vocalists of all time,his live shows were something special(might do another reply tomorrow and the it could be Aretha,Marvin. Bobby Womack,Lenny Williams......see what I mean about the moment?.....Oh just pulled a Dells LP out...Yep tonight its the mighty Marvin Junior....LOL

Now it's Millie Jackson...Caught Up album has just come out...why do poeple ask qustions that the answers are so fluid ?....oh just spotted a Sam dees !2''(After All)....I'll be back

Social source share

Guest familytree

Now it's Millie Jackson...Caught Up album has just come out...why do poeple ask qustions that the answers are so fluid ?....oh just spotted a Sam dees !2''(After All)....I'll be back

millie jackson... of course!... this question is impossible to answer.... im wracking my brains!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Close run thing between her and Sassy :lol:

Male vocal wise I can't decide between Tyrone Davis or Oscar Perry both have the laid back styles that I love and both could sing the phone directory

Yep, had a little debate there myself! her version of "fever" with a latinesque feel, is superb, and the Verve remix of Peter Gunn..... :ohmy:

FF the first 1:30!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Dante

Surprised no one has mentioned Billie Holiday, the voice, the attitude. She had it all.

Can't name only, so here goes some:

Female:

Billie, Aretha, Erma Franklin, Etta...

Male:

Gene Chandler, Marvin Gaye, Jackie Wilson, Chuck Jackson (in between tears being probably the best and most soulful vocal performance of all time) and many more...

Social source share

Male:Jackie Wilson

Female : Irma Thomas

Social source share

With so many talented vocalists emerging from Black America during the 50s, 60s and 70s, this is a huge question but in terms of overall musical timbre, technique and range, I have to agree with Elvis Presley. JACKIE WILSON has to be the number one.

The stylistic, musical journey from JACKIE'S spine tingling version of 'Danny Boy' through to the soaring northern soul perfection of 'Because of you' is perhaps unrivalled by any other vocalist.

Torch Jazz, showbiz standards, rock'n'roll, r'n'b, uptown Chicago Soul, Jackie could deliver faultless performances within any of these genres and the catalogue he has bequeathed is a truly monumental American musical legacy. On one record buying trip to the states I was left simply in awe, staring at the size of a JACKIE WILSON section in a New York Record shop!

On a side note, the biggest 'sin' ever committed by a true soul fan on British televsion, had to be the moment when a hyped up, near hysterical PETE WATERMAN reacted to a 'live' version of 'I get the Sweetest Feeling', performed by the gormless WILL YOUNG. This during the goddamned horrendous 'Shop Idle' series.

'That was better than Jackie Wilson' stuttered WATERMAN. In front of millions. This from a former 70s Northern Soul DJ!!!!!!!!

PETE, hang your head in eternal shame! On said record, JACKIE demonstates his unique abilities to stunning affect. He possessed the octave range of an opera singer and an emotional impact that encapsulated the joys and agonies of human relationships. He was a vocal talent without peer or rival and also the man who's sensational dancing inspired JAMES BROWN to get on the 'good foot'. Given the fact that he was also a 'Golden Gloves' Boxing Champion, it would be fair to say that JACKIE WILSON had to be one of the most all round gifted Americans of the 20th Century.

It is to the great credit of the British Northern Soul scene, that Jackie's career and memory is held in such enormous collective esteem.

JACKIE WILSON 'The Greatest Voice' RIP

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert