The Pendulum

In a conversation yesterday with my mate Sean and we were talking about a few places that don't seem to get mentioned Club/all-nighter wise.

You hear a lot about the Twisted Wheel (obviously), but what about The Pendulum in Manchester.

We used to look at the club entrance somewhere opposite Manchester Victoria Station when getting the train T' Wigan. But I don't know anyone who went ?

Anybody know anything about this Club

Rob

This is a bit late as I've only just managed to get on the forum . Not a lot has been said about the original Pendulum venue off Deansgate so this is what I can remember.

I saw a tiny advert in Mcr Evening news anouncing 'Sam and Dave' playing soul records at The Pendulum.Having missed out on the Wheel which had just closed I made it to the big bad city for the first night. The club was in a modern building and on the second floor above the pub .At the top of the stairs ,doors lead through to the bar area and a partition seperated this from the music area. In the far right corner was the DJ stage and in the left corner a small raised dance floor.I never tried the dance floor out ,my moves were strictly reserved for the bedroom floor. Not much room to dance especially if Malcolm was getting carried away. The crowd would mainly be ex Wheel regulars and sported the fashions of the time, blazers with coloured braid. Levis ,shermans , facial hair flourished and we all ,even me, had a full head of hair, one driving glove on etc .The music was mainly Uk issues ,Incredibles,Sharpees,Jackie Day,Chuck Jackson,Mary Love (on UK King 'nice') imports were coming over and Ric Tic and Mirwood especially. Edwin Starr Back Street was big as it summed up the club.One record that sticks with me from then is Jimmy Lewis 'I quit you win' as it never seemed to get played elsewhere.

Dave Godin made a visit which caused quite a stirr and everyone had to behave and be nice. I think he wrote about it B&S but I'm not going in the loft to check through mine. The club was always busy and after a year or so moved to its new venue at the MSG where it reached its legendary status with Barry Tasker and Richard Searling playing fantastic records as many others have said.

I DJ'd there for 2 or 3 weeks as Richard left and Barry asked me to join him. At the time I worked at Global records which seemed to be a reqirement for the job. For some reason Richard returned and I was out, in those days clubs only had 2 DJs.

Had the Pendulum been an all nighter it would have been up there with the big4,but it still must be rated as among the top clubs . Other clubs in Mcr followed but they just didnt have the same atmosphere

Rick Cooper

Disclaimer- some or all of the above may just be a figment of my imagination so feel free to corect me.

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

This is a bit late as I've only just managed to get on the forum . Not a lot has been said about the original Pendulum venue off Deansgate so this is what I can remember.

I saw a tiny advert in Mcr Evening news anouncing 'Sam and Dave' playing soul records at The Pendulum.Having missed out on the Wheel which had just closed I made it to the big bad city for the first night. The club was in a modern building and on the second floor above the pub .At the top of the stairs ,doors lead through to the bar area and a partition seperated this from the music area. In the far right corner was the DJ stage and in the left corner a small raised dance floor.I never tried the dance floor out ,my moves were strictly reserved for the bedroom floor. Not much room to dance especially if Malcolm was getting carried away. The crowd would mainly be ex Wheel regulars and sported the fashions of the time, blazers with coloured braid. Levis ,shermans , facial hair flourished and we all ,even me, had a full head of hair, one driving glove on etc .The music was mainly Uk issues ,Incredibles,Sharpees,Jackie Day,Chuck Jackson,Mary Love (on UK King 'nice') imports were coming over and Ric Tic and Mirwood especially. Edwin Starr Back Street was big as it summed up the club.One record that sticks with me from then is Jimmy Lewis 'I quit you win' as it never seemed to get played elsewhere.

Dave Godin made a visit which caused quite a stirr and everyone had to behave and be nice. I think he wrote about it B&S but I'm not going in the loft to check through mine. The club was always busy and after a year or so moved to its new venue at the MSG where it reached its legendary status with Barry Tasker and Richard Searling playing fantastic records as many others have said.

I DJ'd there for 2 or 3 weeks as Richard left and Barry asked me to join him. At the time I worked at Global records which seemed to be a reqirement for the job. For some reason Richard returned and I was out, in those days clubs only had 2 DJs.

Had the Pendulum been an all nighter it would have been up there with the big4,but it still must be rated as among the top clubs . Other clubs in Mcr followed but they just didnt have the same atmosphere

Rick Cooper

Disclaimer- some or all of the above may just be a figment of my imagination so feel free to corect me.

Thank you for that Rick

the more we hear about the club from the people that went-and now who DJ'd there the better,

I will be in touch with you via PM in the not too distant future.

Thank you very much

Rob Wigley

PS Keep the replies coming !! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Rick Cooper

Hey Rick,

I well remember you from Global,bought some great sounds outta there.

Did anybody ever keep any of the pricelists, I imagine they'd be quite mindblowing now.

Atb

Tony

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert