The Pendulum

In a conversation yesterday with my mate Sean and we were talking about a few places that don't seem to get mentioned Club/all-nighter wise.

You hear a lot about the Twisted Wheel (obviously), but what about The Pendulum in Manchester.

We used to look at the club entrance somewhere opposite Manchester Victoria Station when getting the train T' Wigan. But I don't know anyone who went ?

Anybody know anything about this Club

Rob

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

In a conversation yesterday with my mate Sean and we were talking about a few places that don't seem to get mentioned Club/all-nighter wise.

You hear a lot about the Twisted Wheel (obviously), but what about The Pendulum in Manchester.

We used to look at the club entrance somewhere opposite Manchester Victoria Station when getting the train T' Wigan. But I don't know anyone who went ?

Rob

Ask a question Roberto , and some old t**t will answer laugh.gif .......

The Pendulum was situated , as you so rightly state opposite Victoria Station , situated between the station and Manchester Cathedral , on Long Millgate .

The Main DJs were Dave White and Barry Tasker . The DJ line up also had at one time , Richard Searling , Rick Cooper and Martyn Ellis as well as Dave and Barry .

The inclusion of Richard was following his credibility earned at Va-Vas , Skewesy because of The Torch : Rick earned his place through through reputation .

The Pendulum was open Fridays and Sundays , but was strangely closed on Saurdays during the summer of 1973 for some reason .

I went about a dozen times , and always found it be a good venue .

Malc Burton

Always

Social source share

The Pendulum was situated , as you so rightly state opposite Victoria Station , situated between the station and Manchester Cathedral , on Long Millgate .

The Main DJs were Dave White and Barry Tasker . The DJ line up also had at one time , Richard Searling , Rick Cooper and Martyn Ellis as well as Dave and Barry .

The inclusion of Richard was following his credibility earned at Va-Vas , Skewesy because of The Torch : Rick earned his place through through reputation .

The Pendulum was open Fridays and Sundays , but was strangely closed on Saurdays during the summer of 1973 for some reason .

Malc Burton

so when did it start and finish ?(years and tmes) & was it a nighter ?

thats another one VaVa's, always talked about in hushed tones, there were 8 lads from our villiage who used to go there all the time it was open and they love it !

Rob

Social source share

Malc Burton

Always

Allways some good records played @ The Pendulum, we used to go on Friday nights. I remember The Invitations - Skiing in the snow being massive there. Scan of my membership card below.

post-15-1238154676_thumb.jpg

Edited by RitchieAndrew
Social source share

Malc Burton

so when did it start and finish ?(years and tmes) & was it a nighter ?

thats another one VaVa's, always talked about in hushed tones, there were 8 lads from our villiage who used to go there all the time it was open and they love it !

Rob

Edited by jez jones
Social source share

Rob

I was a regular at The Pendulum and as Malc as said the venue was situated opposite Victoria Station. The main DJ's were Dave White and Barry Tasker, I still see Barry farely regular, Barry and Dave had fantastic collections. Another DJ mentioned was Rick Cooper who again I see farely regular, Rick is a top guy and a has a great knowledge on records. I also remember Richard Searling DJ'ing there, Richard played alot of records there which I think were probably exclusive to The Va Va.

Hopefully a few more members will respond to this post as there are quite a few ex Pendulum members on here.

My favourite sounds from the venue were:-

Thunder - Lord Thunder.

What's it gonna be - Dusty Springfield.

My dear heart - Shaun Robinson.

Sad sad feeling - The Autographs.

Go for yourself - Larry Laster.

Only your love can save me - The Marvelettes.

and many more.

Great venue

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Fantastic venue.

Went every Friday night for a good period (sketchy on the dates).

Not a nighter but still a real atmospheric place as it was a (relatively) small cellar type venue.

In the summer months the walls were pi**ed through with condensation and from memory they ony sold Newcastle Brown Ale behind the bar.

DJ's that I remember were Martyn Ellis, Barry Tasker and Richard Searling. Can't remember Rick Cooper but that doesn't mean he wasn't on when we went, just that I can't remember him.

Some awesome stuff was played there but again after 36 years the sound and the venues all merge into one.

If I remember rightly it was a sports social club originally.

Happy days.

Social source share

Fantastic venue.

Went every Friday night for a good period (sketchy on the dates).

Not a nighter but still a real atmospheric place as it was a (relatively) small cellar type venue.

In the summer months the walls were pi**ed through with condensation and from memory they ony sold Newcastle Brown Ale behind the bar.

DJ's that I remember were Martyn Ellis, Barry Tasker and Richard Searling. Can't remember Rick Cooper but that doesn't mean he wasn't on when we went, just that I can't remember him.

Some awesome stuff was played there but again after 36 years the sound and the venues all merge into one.

If I remember rightly it was a sports social club originally.

Happy days.

Should have looked at the membership card posted up - MSG sports and social club - that was it.

For some reason as a 16/17 year old the business premises adjacent to the club always amused me - "A B Dick Limited", I think they were printers. Strange the things you remember.

Social source share

Rob

Barry Tasker and Dave White did a reunion night there a few years ago didn't they? I'm sure I was there.

(Note - a few years ago in my mind is probably about ten years ago if not more!). sad.gif

Jayne.x

Social source share

I rember going a few times with Soul Sam, it must have been around 72 or 73. I bought Ella Fitzgerald - Get Ready for about 50p which I still have. On one occasion I remember that Sam had been tipped off that he may get jumped for his records when he left. So two kind soulies accompanied us to the car in exchange for a lift home, but they lived the other side of Manchester. Just added an extra hour to the journey that's all.

I remember Richard Searling being there on one of the nights I attended. Remembered it as a great club althoug I only went a few times.

Kev Jones

Social source share

I rember going a few times with Soul Sam, it must have been around 72 or 73. I bought Ella Fitzgerald - Get Ready for about 50p which I still have. On one occasion I remember that Sam had been tipped off that he may get jumped for his records when he left. So two kind soulies accompanied us to the car in exchange for a lift home, but they lived the other side of Manchester. Just added an extra hour to the journey that's all.

I remember Richard Searling being there on one of the nights I attended. Remembered it as a great club althoug I only went a few times.

Kev Jones

Good stuff you lot, I can see now why it was overshaddowed by its bigger brothers locally and never gets the mentions it desevers, keep 'em coming !

Rob

Social source share

Again only went a few times meself. Definitely rember Richard Searling there-at the time a new name on the scene :yes:

only on till 2?? I think.

We used to catch a train up there and make a day of it. Manchester was a 'hotbed' of Northern at that time and onwards( yes I know it always has been :) ).

spent afternoons in Ralphs records and Spin in on cross st.

Also wasn't there a market near that station that had racks and racks of second hand vinyl--good for getting British stuff at the time :P --blimey spent hours at a time digging there!! :lol:

Then get sorted :shades: swift beer and in. Quality sounds as well --loved it to have been a nighter--but manchester Police had other ideas --I suppose lol

Am I right in thinking it was once a fortnight dunno???????????????

Social source share

used to go the pendulum fridays

was a postman then,used to finish at 1-24 dinner time and hop on train

go ralphs and spin inn 

also record stalls in brown street market

beer in rowntrees

over to pendulum.still have cloth badges from there and va va

what about these too went all these too in manchester

belle vue all dayers

carolines

va va,s

rowntrees

plymouth grove doo

rotters

Social source share

go ralphs and spin inn 

beer in rowntrees

belle vue all dayers

carolines

va va,s

rowntrees

plymouth grove doo

rotters

what about Troggs??

Social source share

go ralphs and spin inn

beer in rowntrees

belle vue all dayers

carolines

va va,s

rowntrees

plymouth grove doo

rotters

Bloody hell mate---thats what we did :shades: Must have loads doing those rounds at that time :yes:

missed something out though.......... :lol:

Social source share

This bit of info is not a definite history but just what I remember.

Im pretty sure the original Pendulem was somewhere like the Victoria Hotel, Hardman St. No idea how long it was based there but I went along one night after a Chairmen of the Board show and I was still at school so sometime between '69-'71.

There were quite a few clubs around Manchester at that time playing "Northern" [altho not called that then] originating out of the Wheel scene and the venues I attended then were the Poco Poco in Stockport [sunday night], Moon in Duckinfield [Thursday and Saturday nights], Birdcage in Ashton [sunday night], Browns in Levenshulme [weekday night I think].

No idea when Pendulem moved to MSG but I was a regular there from sometime in '72 although I was living in London for a while but still used to get back some weekends. It was deffo a Friday and then Sundays were introduced but to be honest I can't remember Saturday nights but then Torch or the Mecca were on. I don't know if Saturdays were a short-lived trial.

I reckon Barry Tasker was one of the best dj's ever and IMO him and Dave were miles ahead at the time. They seemed to have all the Torch biggies and others that didn't catch on till years later such as Mamie Galore on Sack and Joseph Moore. I'd imagine Brian "45" Phillips had some input there, but there were other "faces" such as Al Birkhead and Steve Vickers who seemed to have a phenomenal knowledge of 60's soul.

I don't remember Rick Cooper being a regular there but he may have done a guest spot as he worked at Global and had a really good collection. Similarly Richard worked at Global too and did get a regular spot but I think toward the end of the club.

Bearing in mind that other thread about "warm-up" spots Barry and Dave would play a lot of 45s at the beginning which were yet to break. Rhonda Davis was a constant "bubbling-under" sound. Bobby Bland was a favourite too with "Yum Yum Tree", "Shoes" "Aint nothin' you can do". Quite a lot of midtempo stuff in fact when at the time the faster sound was in vogue.

I don't know about Chuck Wood. Think that was more a youth club 45 even then but I do associate "Unsatisfied" with the club.

I guess it was slightly dodgey sometimes and I can believe the tale about Sam and his 45s but generally it was OK there and if you didn't go but went to Cats instead I'd say they were on a par from what I've read of Cats.

Im sure Francis T or Julian Bentley on here can remember other details.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

I have fairly vivid memories of the Va Vas all nighters for some reason even though I only went about 4 times, I seem to remember it as a Friday night all nighter that we attended and then went on to Blackpool Mecca where we stayed saturday night before driving home on the Sunday afternoon and then going to work on the Monday somehow.

My memories are of waiting for the Sat Night Disco crowd to clear at 2.00 am before we could go in. It was in Bolton wasn't it ?

Remember Richard Searling very vividly with long hair and certain records which were new to me that he played, in particular Frankie and the Classicals, the Vel-vets and the Mylestones stand out for some reason.

I think it's true to say that the records were excellent and that's prob why I recall it so well, perhaps from his Global sources! I also remember seeing him in the queue outside Wigan some time after and recognised him from VaVas.

I also remember being shocked to see a Rolling stones LP in an album box behind the DJ stand , I believe that it was the one with the orig version of Under my Thumb on it, seem to think it was played as an alternative to Wayne Gibson but can't be sure. Strange the things that stick in your memory from 30 odd years ago!

never went to the Pendulum but did go to an allnighter in Farnworth nearby when the Torch closed early because the allnighter couldn't take place, don't think it was Trogs though but could have been. No matter as by the time we got there it was full and i couldn't get in and spent the night on coach outside!

Andy

Social source share

Im pretty sure the original Pendulem was somewhere like the Victoria Hotel, Hardman St. No idea how long it was based there but I went along one night after a Chairmen of the Board show and I was still at school so sometime between '69-'71.

There were quite a few clubs around Manchester at that time playing "Northern" [altho not called that then] originating out of the Wheel scene and the venues I attended then were the Poco Poco in Stockport [sunday night], Moon in Duckinfield [Thursday and Saturday nights], Birdcage in Ashton [sunday night], Browns in Levenshulme [weekday night I think].

No idea when Pendulem moved to MSG but I was a regular there from sometime in '72 although I was living in London for a while but still used to get back some weekends. It was deffo a Friday and then Sundays were introduced but to be honest I can't remember Saturday nights but then Torch or the Mecca were on. I don't know if Saturdays were a short-lived trial.

I reckon Barry Tasker was one of the best dj's ever and IMO him and Dave were miles ahead at the time. They seemed to have all the Torch biggies and others that didn't catch on till years later such as Mamie Galore on Sack and Joseph Moore. I'd imagine Brian "45" Phillips had some input there, but there were other "faces" such as Al Birkhead and Steve Vickers who seemed to have a phenomenal knowledge of 60's soul.

I don't remember Rick Cooper being a regular there but he may have done a guest spot as he worked at Global and had a really good collection. Similarly Richard worked at Global too and did get a regular spot but I think toward the end of the club.

Bearing in mind that other thread about "warm-up" spots Barry and Dave would play a lot of 45s at the beginning which were yet to break. Rhonda Davis was a constant "bubbling-under" sound. Bobby Bland was a favourite too with "Yum Yum Tree", "Shoes" "Aint nothin' you can do". Quite a lot of midtempo stuff in fact when at the time the faster sound was in vogue.

I don't know about Chuck Wood. Think that was more a youth club 45 even then but I do associate "Unsatisfied" with the club.

I guess it was slightly dodgey sometimes and I can believe the tale about Sam and his 45s but generally it was OK there and if you didn't go but went to Cats instead I'd say they were on a par from what I've read of Cats.

ROD

Nice bit of precis there Rod about scene in that area early '70's :D Wasn't there another one in Stockport area --same time as Poco????????????? Sure i can remember going once(lasted about 2 years)with some macc lads--played current biggies ie wot pendulum played plus Torch stuff--did it have disco Friday and northern saturday???

Chuck Woods deffo 'youth club' type then . heard it 1970 when when of the 'big lads' brought it from the Wheel to local youthie :unsure:

Social source share

Jez, I think I went to a club actually in Macclesfield in early 70's so you may be thinking of that.

There was a night at the Spectrum pub on London Rd about 1mile from Stockport town centre that I think was on a Thursday but can't remember re Saturday. Rick Cooper did dj there occasionally. Long long time ago when O'Jays "Deeper in love" and "Looky Looky" were popular. Remember Rick playing "Baby boy". No idea who ran that.

There was also an allnighter at the Tabernacle club in Stockport but I never went and pretty sure it was very early days like '68 or earlier.

There was a lot going on around Manchester in late 60's/early 70's cos of the Wheel but I was just starting out and I think a lot of the movers and shakers then have disappeared now. Well in fact they'd gone by early 70's. Another good dj based on what he played at the time was Al Devine who used to do the Moon in Duckinfield.

ROD

Social source share

Jez, I think I went to a club actually in Macclesfield in early 70's so you may be thinking of that.

There was a night at the Spectrum pub on London Rd about 1mile from Stockport town centre that I think was on a Thursday but can't remember re Saturday. Rick Cooper did dj there occasionally. Long long time ago when O'Jays "Deeper in love" and "Looky Looky" were popular. Remember Rick playing "Baby boy". No idea who ran that.

There was also an allnighter at the Tabernacle club in Stockport but I never went and pretty sure it was very early days like '68 or earlier.

There was a lot going on around Manchester in late 60's/early 70's cos of the Wheel but I was just starting out and I think a lot of the movers and shakers then have disappeared now. Well in fact they'd gone by early 70's. Another good dj based on what he played at the time was Al Devine who used to do the Moon in Duckinfield.

ROD

It probably was Macclesfield then mate :D

Rod, you're dead right though, the Wheel influence spawned lots of pubs/clubs around that era in greater Manchester.

Al Devine as a DJ doesn't ring any bells--but similar to the venues--a lot of shall we say 'smaller time' DJ's sprung up at that time--playing good stuff, only to disappear a few years later :unsure:

Do I remember a venue called 'Sounds' or summat like that--City centre I think

Anyway mustn't ramble-- thread is about the Pendulum --apologies to original poster :g:

Social source share

Rowntrees Sound was a pub/club on Corporation St just down from Marks&Sparks going toward Ralphs and Victoria Station.

Don't know if it was actually a soul club but a lot of guys used to hang around there on a Saturday afternoon.

As for Al Devine Im guessing he was an old mod and deffo not a guy getting on the early bandwagon. He probably was one of those who got that bandwagon rolling!!

ROD

Social source share

Rowntrees Sound was a pub/club on Corporation St just down from Marks&Sparks going toward Ralphs and Victoria Station.

Don't know if it was actually a soul club but a lot of guys used to hang around there on a Saturday afternoon.

As for Al Devine Im guessing he was an old mod and deffo not a guy getting on the early bandwagon. He probably was one of those who got that bandwagon rolling!!

ROD

Ahhhh thats it--its coming back now :lol:

I didn't mean DJ's sprung up and left--although it did come across as that, sorry. I mean probably like Al Devine they were 'old Mods from the Wheel etc--who had decent collections and continued collecting and became DJ's in their own rights to keep the music going.

Definitely not bandwagon jumpers---more like trailblazers-if yer see what I mean, in an era before Wigan opened :g:

Social source share

I've had a couple of great conversations with Barry Tasker in recent years at The Wheel , concerning The Pendulum ,West 4th Steet by Valerie and Bobby Capers [ Atlantic ] was the " ender " at this venue .Richard S . did a great tribute show on Jazz FM with Dave White , Richard reckoned that " I got the fever " was the record which really defined The Pendulum for him .Best,Eddie

Social source share

The Pendulum, I loved it. We used to go Friday nights, catch the "white lady" double decker London bus from Kelbrook road end, picking up from Colne, Nelson and Burnley on route. Finished at 2am....very atmospheric cellar room, great music....early 70's when we went.

post-1903-1238178255_thumb.jpg

Social source share

The Pendulum, I loved it. We used to go Friday nights, catch the "white lady" double decker London bus from Kelbrook road end, picking up from Colne, Nelson and Burnley on route. Finished at 2am....very atmospheric cellar room, great music....early 70's when we went.

post-1903-1238178255_thumb.jpg

The badge was 30p ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

ROD

Your right

the first Pendulum was Hardman / Hardwick St and was near the old Daily Mail building . The pub was down stairs and the club upstairs . I think the one big defining record was phrophets - I got the fever . But this was when the imports started flooding in and Festival time was absolutley feckin massive . And then we heard Laura Lee's vocal !!

I remember good clubs that me and mrs. went to in Manc. at that time - roundtrees sound [ in the victoria station area] and roundtrees spring gardens [ in the...err... spring gardens area ]. Also Sloopys - the best of the lot, imho, and next to the original Wheel in Brazennose St.

And Top of the Town, with the spin inn record shop on top of it.

And Taki's in Oxford Rd ; great club and sound system and the hottest place I've ever been in.

But back to the thread , I d-j'd at Les Hare's [ Kingbee records - 100% ace record shop ! ] do a wee while back and was spouting on over the mike about the importance of the Pendulum to this scene, and was really chuffed that Barry Tasker came up and had a natter .

The Pendulum in Manchester changed the lives of me and mrs.

I think it is one of the great unsung clubs, [ but I know they must exist up and down the country], but still they are the places that got us all into this glorious mess !

In Stretford there was Browns [ one in Levenshule too ? ] which played plenty of good stuff .

Social source share

The Pendulum in Manchester changed the lives of me and mrs.

I think it is one of the great unsung clubs, [ but I know they must exist up and down the country], but still they are the places that got us all into this glorious mess !

In Stretford there was Browns [ one in Levenshule too ? ] which played plenty of good stuff .

This is what I was after when I started the thread, you NEVER hear anything about these clubs because NOTHING was written down for people to say "I was there when they first played Laura lee at the Pendulum".

I love the history relating to this stuff- for me it was listening to The Torch and Wheel lads who made the journey from Mansfield and bought the sounds back to play. I only found out about the Pendulum when we used to pass the old entrance ( remember Dean Penfold !) I think there are some pic somewhere of a gang of us around 1976/77 taken outside the old entrance to the place.

Keep the memories coming -another great post by ricticman.

Rob

Social source share

Should have looked at the membership card posted up - MSG sports and social club - that was it.

around 1977 i was d jing in a liverpool city centre club and les cockell with two other guys were in there the two guys were dressed in leather, peak caps studs and all, on the back of their jackets written in studs was SMC manchester, puzzled by what it meant i asked 'has the pendalum re-opened'? all three burst out laughing hysterically but didnt seem to want to let me in on the joke, months later after much thought the penny finally dropped and i got the joke :lol::)

Edited by ric-tic
Social source share

Guest familytree

interesting thread, i just wish my memeory wasnt shot!... the description of this club sounds like one we went to later on in years.... zodiacs... anyone remeber it? i loved it in there.. cellar rooms .. cool vibe, great music, 60s mainly.. i recall someone telling me some years later that mick huknel ?(simply red) d.jd there, before he became famous.. i do remember a red head on the decks sometimes but thats all i remember, dont think it was ever heaving but we loved to go.... anyone shed some light on it in here, sounds like you all know what was what in manchester x

Social source share

The Pendulum was probably the first real soul night i went to used to attend soul nights with my brother Paul, if my memory is correct wasnt the first pendulum called the (pink or maybe purple pendulum).

can remember hearing lily bryant here for the first time there were so many tunes that received there first plays down there because barry was one of the first to go on buying trips for his job. amazing how many of us went to the pendulum but dont know each other, it wasnt till about 11 years ago that i met alan pollard same with keith williams, I can remember rod was always super smart in his his suit or jacket and levis, always carrying a small record box. Anyone remember the hole in the dance floor (concrete floor) in front of the dj stand caught many a dancer out, didnt Mike shaft work in the cloakroom. Barry was for me one of the dj's of the northern scene. Paul and i used to knock around with the duckinfield/stalybridge lot Alan Birkhead, Steve Riley, John Hilel< John Seymour and a few other names lost in the mist of time.

Mark

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

The Pendulum was probably the first real soul night i went to used to attend soul nights with my brother Paul, if my memory is correct wasnt the first pendulum called the (pink or maybe purple pendulum).

can remember hearing lily bryant here for the first time there were so many tunes that received there first plays down there because barry was one of the first to go on buying trips for his job. amazing how many of us went to the pendulum but dont know each other, it wasnt till about 11 years ago that i met alan pollard same with keith williams, I can remember rod was always super smart in his his suit or jacket and levis, always carrying a small record box. Anyone remember the hole in the dance floor (concrete floor) in front of the dj stand caught many a dancer out, didnt Mike shaft work in the cloakroom. Barry was for me one of the dj's of the northern scene. Paul and i used to knock around with the duckinfield/stalybridge lot Alan Birkhead, Steve Riley, John Hilel< John Seymour and a few other names lost in the mist of time.

Mark

Fantastic thread from Mr Shard and others--i,ve also (like Rob W.) GOT A GREAT intrest in old lesser mentioned clubs.I remember one night in Wigan record bar nattering with Rod and Brian Rae about The Pendulum and various other Manchester area venues----Top Twenty,Blue Note etc.

GUD WUN

U.T.T.

Tony Coleby

Social source share

I reckon Barry Tasker was one of the best dj's ever.

ROD

Totally agree with Rod here, by far my favourite DJ and once and I had listened to him DJ at The Pendulum I kinda decided thats what I wanted to do and if I could be half as good as Barry I would have achieved something.

Also agree with Mark that there was so many of us went and yet and wasn't until recent years that we got to know each other, the guys I am refering to are Les Hare, Julian Bentley (although he maintains he never went, or he can't remember), Mark Baildon, Keith Williams and many more.

One of the characters I remember from them days was a guy from Stockport who used to always be at the Friday night sessions, he collected all the plastic pint pots, I think he was called Malcolm Leah, you had give him a wide birth when he was dancing to Lord Thunder as nothing would get in his way, it was comical seeing how pint pots Malc could carry with out getting them wedged against the ceiling.

We used to start off in Rowntree Sounds were we were given a good start to the evening musically with some great soul records being played, you had to be careful that you didn't have too much to drink there as the concrete stairs down to The Pendulum were steep and long and bloody painful if you fell down them as I did once.

We were to young to legally get in the club but we managed to get into all venues except one night at Blackpool Mecca when myself and Steve Hennessey both went on our motorbikes (we were'nt cool enough to own scooters) and the bouncers told us to p**s off as the parachute regement club was down the road and that was it.

Another character that springs to mind back then was Siz (Steve Sale) but my memories of Siz were more of The Blue Room (Sale Locarno) and the clothes shop he worked in which if I remember rightly was Ivor's rather than The Pendulum, he no doubt went.

There were venues in Stockport but the ones I remember were Blazes and The Inn at Stockport (I was DJ'ing at The Inn at Stockport the night of the Lockerbie plane disaster so that's easy to date).

Great days, great memories and no regrets other than leaving many a record at just a few bob that went on to be monster rarities such as Jimmy Mack £10, The Group £15, Karmello Brooks £150 (I know this isn't a few bob but it was fairly cheap by comparism) but I also found many bargains as it was a bit easier then before the internet, records such all 3 Jack Montgomery's Scepter £3, Revue £10, Barracuda £1.50, Shawn Robinson £15, Ronnie McNeir £15, Carol Anderson £1.50 (Whip), Art Posey £1.50, Jean Carter (Sunflower) £1.50, The Strides £1.50, Eddie Hill (M & S) £1.50, The Chants (UK RCA from Mazels Manchester) 50p and many more.

Regards,

Alan

great memories!

Siz [ Steve ] was a close mate of my younger brother Simon and I was always struggling to get them to keep their sticky mitts off my collection . They were 6 years younger and [ I believe ] never went to the first Pendulum , but they did go to the MSG version . They started out at a place in Altincham [stamford Hall I recall, ] and then developed onto the Blue Rooms .

Your right about Ivor's - remember the big yellow bags they sold stuff in with ' stolen from Ivor's ' on ?

I was at school with Rob Belars and Phil Saxe and Mo Wright and they went a lot to the Pendulum too, but then they sort of split off and started going to the Catacombs .

I was chatting years later to Siz [ at the Ritz ] I think and he told me it was him and Simon rooting through and playing my collection, [ that I told them I'd batter them if I ever found them doing it ! ] that in turn got him into the scene . Which I was quite pleased to hear him say actually

On the Friday nights and the Sunday nights I remember always being able to fund all our drinks by selling whatever the Stretford or Manchester Deansgate Co-Op's had in their deleted record boxes . Could always get unlimited Los Canarios [ I know ] and sell them 12/6 or 15/- a pop .But Dynatones turned up there too and Rosco Robinson and Chuck Jackson.

There was also plenty of oldies to pick up at Mazels , Johnny Roadhouse on Oxford Rd., and dozens of junk shops in Moss Side . Newly released and promptly deleted demo's were dumped every month at Shude Hill as well .

But now I'm rambling off the thread !

pete

Edited by ricticman
Social source share

Also agree with Mark that there was so many of us went and yet and wasn't until recent years that we got to know each other, the guys I am refering to are Les Hare, Julian Bentley (although he maintains he never went, or he can't remember), Mark Baildon, Keith Williams and many more.

Regards,

Alan

Social source share

it's SWONS you know. I remember the conversation with your pal from Stockport at the Greatstone that night when he said he remembered me from the Pendulum and even got Barry Tasker to confirm that on the night ( he was in attendance) that I was a 'regular' at the Pendulum - just can't bloody remember going, but then again, there are lots of things I don't remember from all those years ago! ( it must have been the medication :thumbup: )

Alzheimer Julian

( NOT intended to upset anyone with friends/relatives with this awful condition!)

Social source share

The Pendulum was the first ever PROPER Soul Club I went to,

September 1972 as Soul fans me and Rick warburton were f*cked with standing in yer local disco waiting for tammi Lynn or wotever to come on, so after seeing the ad in Blues and Soul decided to give The Pendulum a go.

In we walks, two cocky 16 year old Salford Lads who knew it all...........................................

Did we b*llocks!!!!

Jesus Rick- what the F*ck is this????????????

Dunno Tony, but it's f*ckin' brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds I can remember(now) Earl Wright, Maxine Brown,J.J. Barnes,Jerry Cook, Johnny Sayles and the mighty Johnny Moore.

37 years later, still at it tongue.gif

Tony

Social source share

The Pendulum was the first ever PROPER Soul Club I went to,

September 1972 as Soul fans me and Rick warburton were f*cked with standing in yer local disco waiting for tammi Lynn or wotever to come on, so after seeing the ad in Blues and Soul decided to give The Pendulum a go.

In we walks, two cocky 16 year old Salford Lads who knew it all...........................................

Did we b*llocks!!!!

Jesus Rick- what the F*ck is this????????????

Dunno Tony, but it's f*ckin' brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds I can remember(now) Earl Wright, Maxine Brown,J.J. Barnes,Jerry Cook, Johnny Sayles and the mighty Johnny Moore.

37 years later, still at it tongue.gif

Tony

That's it - exactly !

And you can add in .............Little Anthony [ gonna fix you good ], Leon Haywood, and the Sapphires. And the mighty mighty Frances Nero .

Social source share

Somewhere I have a tape from the Pendelum.

I let a guy from Burnley borrow it and I am not sure if I got it back.

Side 1 is perfect, but side 2 is very quiet.

I can only remember The Marvelettes Only Your Love can Save me, (great handclapping on this!) Leslie Uggams, Love is Good Foundation, and Levi Jackson Beautiful Day being on it.

If I can find it, I'll ask Pete S or Mark F if they can copy it on to CD. I don't have a tape player any more!

I remember the White Lady bus Phil! Haven't a clue how we got back to Burnley, but nobody ever worried about getting back from a venue, just as long as we arrived!. Also remember how cool we looked. Black Baratheas, Levi Sta Prest and Royals.

it was definitely a Friday night gig.

Great times!

Social source share

Having had a quick chat with one of the lads that I used to go with, I would associate, amongst others, Christine Cooper - "Heartaches away" and Mr Floods Party - "Compared to what" with the Pendelum.

As can by seen by the posts so far, an under-rated venue and one that has real affection for it by those who went.

Social source share

I reckon Barry Tasker was one of the best dj's ever.

ROD

Totally agree with Rod here, by far my favourite DJ and once and I had listened to him DJ at The Pendulum I kinda decided thats what I wanted to do and if I could be half as good as Barry I would have achieved something.

One of the characters I remember from them days was a guy from Stockport who used to always be at the Friday night sessions, he collected all the plastic pint pots, I think he was called Malcolm Leah, you had give him a wide birth when he was dancing to Lord Thunder as nothing would get in his way, it was comical seeing how pint pots Malc could carry with out getting them wedged against the ceiling.

We used to start off in Rowntree Sounds were we were given a good start to the evening musically with some great soul records being played, you had to be careful that you didn't have too much to drink there as the concrete stairs down to The Pendulum were steep and long and bloody painful if you fell down them as I did once.

We were to young to legally get in the club but we managed to get into all venues except one night at Blackpool Mecca when myself and Steve Hennessey both went on our motorbikes (we were'nt cool enough to own scooters) and the bouncers told us to p**s off as the parachute regement club was down the road and that was it.

Another character that springs to mind back then was Siz (Steve Sale) but my memories of Siz were more of The Blue Room (Sale Locarno) and the clothes shop he worked in which if I remember rightly was Ivor's rather than The Pendulum, he no doubt went.

There were venues in Stockport but the ones I remember were Blazes and The Inn at Stockport (I was DJ'ing at The Inn at Stockport the night of the Lockerbie plane disaster so that's easy to date).

Great days, great memories and no regrets other than leaving many a record at just a few bob that went on to be monster rarities such as Jimmy Mack £10, The Group £15, Karmello Brooks £150 (I know this isn't a few bob but it was fairly cheap by comparism) but I also found many bargains as it was a bit easier then before the internet, records such all 3 Jack Montgomery's Scepter £3, Revue £10, Barracuda £1.50, Shawn Robinson £15, Ronnie McNeir £15, Carol Anderson £1.50 (Whip), Art Posey £1.50, Jean Carter (Sunflower) £1.50, The Strides £1.50, Eddie Hill (M & S) £1.50, The Chants (UK RCA from Mazels Manchester) 50p and many more.

Regards,

Alan

Wow Alan what a great memory you have Stockport and Manchester were buzzin in those days . Blazes on portwood always left just before it closed I used to get beaten up there for some reason very few of my mates would go at the time .

The Pendulem Manchester Sports Guild I went a few times on a friday IIRC . Barry Tasker still does a bit around Stockport .

Malcolm Lear and lord thunder brilliant I remember him taking about six dancers out at Fairy,s social club with one of his legendary flailing spins what a guy is he still around ?

The Blue rooms in Sale a very cool warm up for the coming weekend . Rowntrees wasnt there two venues one near Victoria station and one in Spring gardens ? I remember some sounds being played but not a definitive n/s night or did I just dream it . :wub: Happy times

Social source share

I spoke to Rick Cooper yesterday who confirms he did deejay at Pendelum for a short while .Apparently Richard Searling left and Rick Cooper was asked to step in.Richards leaving was short lived and the pendelum swung against Rick Cooper who had to go.I am sure he did other odd nights, and Rick confirms he did deejay at various other venues in Manchester and Stockport.

Rick certainly knew his stuff and is still to be seen at northern venues round Manchester.

Personally I have good memories of the Pendulum nights and the sounds played.I can not hear a Bobby Bland record without being reminded of the Manchester scene.Living in the Midlands it is not uncommon for me to told a Pendulum record was a Stafford discovery.I just agree as good music is good whereever it is played.

regards

francis t

(mr tee/RealSide Records)

Social source share

The Pendulum was the first ever PROPER Soul Club I went to...

Same here, Tony.

Great memories, jumping trains etc.

I was too young to go to The Torch so The Pendulum was the first "proper" club me and my mates went to. It was 1974 and I was still at school, only 16 years old, but we got in okay. I loved the place.

After The Pendulum we'd get the all-night bus to Va Va's in Bolton but we always got kicked out. One of my mates looked even younger than he was and we were usually a bit drunk. We'd go back to Manchester and sleep on platform 4 with tramps until the trains started running.

I also remember Ralph's record store near The Pendulum (with a metal rod running through the centre-holes of import 45s to prevent shoplifting). And we'd go to HMV and Spinn In.

It's strange to think that we funded these trips (and the drinking, buying records and clothes) with school lunch money and we played truant to go window cleaning.

Some sounds I remember from The Pendulum... "If You Ask Me", "Unsatisfied", "Last Minute Miracle", "Working At The Go-Go", "Just Ask Me", "Bok To Bach" etc.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Same here, Tony.

Great memories, jumping trains etc.

I was too young to go to The Torch so The Pendulum was the first "proper" club me and my mates went to. It was 1974 and I was still at school, only 16 years old, but we got in okay. I loved the place.

After The Pendulum we'd get the all-night bus to Va Va's in Bolton but we always got kicked out. One of my mates looked even younger than he was and we were usually a bit drunk. We'd go back to Manchester and sleep on platform 4 with tramps until the trains started running.

I also remember Ralph's record store near The Pendulum (with a metal rod running through the centre-holes of import 45s to prevent shoplifting). And we'd go to HMV and Spinn In.

It's strange to think that we funded these trips (and the drinking, buying records and clothes) with school lunch money and we played truant to go window cleaning.

Some sounds I remember from The Pendulum... "If You Ask Me", "Unsatisfied", "Last Minute Miracle", "Working At The Go-Go", "Just Ask Me", "Bok To Bach" etc.

Best regards,

Paul

Bloody hell yes' i'd forgotten about that :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert