boba

• Replies 13
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=310130043729

it says bahamas but it looks like a florida press and it's got florida publishing (miscredited of course), etc.

rather well known cover (and inferior to Deena Johnson IMO), I understand there are two presses of it, one with lousy and one with rather good sound quality. Think the worse press was on a red label?? But have to say I'm gobsmacked about the winning bid...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

it says bahamas but it looks like a florida press and it's got florida publishing (miscredited of course), etc.

Brad Lundy was definitely from the Caribbean, don't know which island. He made several reggae records in the 70s as well as the odd soul one. His version of "Breaking Point" has the same backing track as Deena Johnson/Jo Armstead. Heaven only knows where he got THAT from!

This might be the rarer pressing but that finishing price is just ridiculous. Especially conidering just how inferior to Deena's version Lundy's really is...

Social source share

Brad Lundy re-cut his Julmar / lundy track "I'm At The Breaking Point" and I believe he distributed them himself around the Bahamas by boat! the re-make is a great crossover version, and the topside "I Want To Share" even better! I was bidding myself but butted out a lot less then what it reached, I know JM books it at £450!!! (not that I'd ever pay that much) but Craig did say it was warped! was shocked to see how much it made, but guess there aint many copies made it off the islands.

steve

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I've got this and i think both sides are brilliant, prefer this version to the 60's take by Lundy or the Wild Deuce take, i am not surprised at all by the price infact i think thats a bargain (even with the warp), in the more discerning crossover circles this is a very sought after record and it rarely is seen for sale. ps..i have an old Rod Dealove list with this on for about £60....Rod always was ahead of the game wasn't he. :lol:

Brett

Social source share

I've got this and i think both sides are brilliant, prefer this version to the 60's take by Lundy or the Wild Deuce take, i am not surprised at all by the price infact i think thats a bargain (even with the warp), in the more discerning crossover circles this is a very sought after record and it rarely is seen for sale. ps..i have an old Rod Dealove list with this on for about £60....Rod always was ahead of the game wasn't he. :D

Brett

Brett, if I had one sitting in the racks, I'd think it was a bargain too mate! :unsure:

we looking forward to catchin ya at the Morecambe Soul Fest, and hopefully the Wakey's Easter doo if ya there too!

and ya right bout Rod.... a top gadgy too!

steve

Social source share

rather well known cover (and inferior to Deena Johnson IMO), I understand there are two presses of it, one with lousy and one with rather good sound quality. Think the worse press was on a red label?? But have to say I'm gobsmacked about the winning bid...

thanks everyone for all the info. is the red label press a caribbean press while the blue label is from florida?

Social source share

thanks everyone for all the info. is the red label press a caribbean press while the blue label is from florida?

Boba, think Benji was refering to the sound quality between Julmar and Lundy pressings of the first version.

The Blue label Lundy (2nd version) is the bahamas release.

steve

Social source share

Boba, think Benji was refering to the sound quality between Julmar and Lundy pressings of the first version.

The Blue label Lundy (2nd version) is the bahamas release.

steve

thanks for clearing that up. it still looks like the blue label was not actually pressed in the bahamas though, just based on how the label looks, it looks like other TK stuff of the time.

Social source share

thanks for clearing that up. it still looks like the blue label was not actually pressed in the bahamas though, just based on how the label looks, it looks like other TK stuff of the time.

I'd had this on Julmar for years before I ever heard the Deena Johnson version. I do prefer the Lundy version but can attest that the sound quality is appalling. Would love to hear the alternate flip if anyone's got it?

Social source share

I have all three labels, cant find the red one though but pulled the 2 blue ones Julmar & Lundy. I cant remember the red label being inferior sound quality though, but might be wrong. unsure.gif

IMHO I think the blue Lundy is a USA press as the quality on the vinyl and sound is great compared to the West Indian pressings?

Brad may of been living in the Bahamas and thats his contact address as well as label address, as his later releases on Lundy are out of New York the same as Julmer. (Check out his deepish aching track "What would you do" on Lundy LR11940 (1977)

It may of been Bahamas address for tax reasons? The Julmer is defo 60s production/style both sides, while the Lundy (blue) is defo 70s production both sides.

So New York (Julmar) to the Bahamas (Lundy blue) and then back to New York (Lundy 1977) ?? sounds a bit wrong IMO.

Also his 1977 release on Lundy is the same label design as Julmar but in orange rather than blue/white, so there must be a strong connection for him to of used the label design for 2 labels.

Dont you just love Soul music history???? hardly anything written down and its left to Sherlock Holmes and us lot to sort it out

Hope this info is of help?

Dave Halsall

Edited by reforee
Social source share

Just remembered why I bought the red Lundy, it has a different B side to the blue Lundy and the record number is different so it may be a later press?

All I gotta do is find the sodding thing.

more questions?????

Dave Halsall

thanks for all the info

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert