• Replies 26
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Or Mad Lads on Volt...........

No - both cuts were definitely Steve Mancha

the cut on the GOLDMINE "ESSENTIAL DETROIT SOUL COLLECTION" comp from 10 years or more back is different (and superior) to one I've heard more recently. Both wheelsville, I think.

Maybe I'm just going deaf or mad or both

Social source share

Other side of the Professionals - That's Why I Love You - Groove City

I've added this track into the live Groovesville review shows in July with Steve Calloway from the Professionals , Although its the B side of " That's wht I love you " its in fact Steve mancha and not them.

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

No - both cuts were definitely Steve Mancha

the cut on the GOLDMINE "ESSENTIAL DETROIT SOUL COLLECTION" comp from 10 years or more back is different (and superior) to one I've heard more recently. Both wheelsville, I think.

Maybe I'm just going deaf or mad or both

They used The Professionals cut and mis-credited it. Hope this helps. gaz.

Social source share

OK, so if I have got all of the above right ...

1) The version of DMBC used on the Goldmine CD was the exact version of the song that was released and credited to the Professionals on Groove City.

2) The Professionals did not however record that track and the Groove City release credited to the Proressionals was actually an alternative take of the track by Steve Mancha (which the Goldmine CD sounds like of course).

:unsure::D:g:

Right?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

OK, so if I have got all of the above right ...

1) The version of DMBC used on the Goldmine CD was the exact version of the song that was released and credited to the Professionals on Groove City.

No it was Professionals version but they credited it as being Steve Mancha.

Social source share

No it was Professionals version but they credited it as being Steve Mancha.

But if you check out Chalky's post above ...

Although it's the B side of " That's why I love you " it's in fact Steve mancha and not them.

... so, the Professionals' version on the Groove City 45 was Steve Mancha anyway - correct? :unsure:

Can someone post up the Professionals' version from the original vinyl onto Refosoul please (sadly I don't have it :D )?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

But if you check out Chalky's post above ...

Although it's the B side of " That's why I love you " it's in fact Steve mancha and not them.

... so, the Professionals' version on the Groove City 45 was Steve Mancha anyway - correct? :unsure:

Can someone post up the Professionals' version from the original vinyl onto Refosoul please (sadly I don't have it :g: )?

Cheers

Richard

Yes. No. :D

I am sure it is Steve Mancha on the Professionals recording. That's what I have always been lead to believe anyway.

But you will have to check with those who have proper knowledge as to how that came about.

I would love to know the story behind it.

Social source share

ALWAYS USED TO CONFUSE ME ALSO, BORT THE ESSENTIAL DETROIT CD DONKS AGO AND ALWAYS LOVED THE VERSION ON THAT CD. WHEN AT THE WILTON BACK IN THE EARLY 90TS SOMEONE, MAYBE JOHN PHILLIPS... PLAYED A DIFFERENT VERSION, WENT UP TO HAVE A LOOK TWAS STEVE MANCHA ON WHEELSVILLE, THORT DON'T SOUND LIKE THE VERSION ON THE CD. WASNT TILL I BORT A PROFESSIONALS TEN OR SO YEARS AGO THAT IT CAME TOGETHER, CERTAINLY SOUNDS LIKE MANCHA ON THE DMBC VOCAL. DIFERENT TO THE OTHER SIDE ANYWAY.

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

ALWAYS USED TO CONFUSE ME ALSO, BORT THE ESSENTIAL DETROIT CD DONKS AGO AND ALWAYS LOVED THE VERSION ON THAT CD. WHEN AT THE WILTON BACK IN THE EARLY 90TS SOMEONE, MAYBE JOHN PHILLIPS... PLAYED A DIFFERENT VERSION, WENT UP TO HAVE A LOOK TWAS STEVE MANCHA ON WHEELSVILLE, THORT DON'T SOUND LIKE THE VERSION ON THE CD. WASNT TILL I BORT A PROFESSIONALS TEN OR SO YEARS AGO THAT IT CAME TOGETHER, CERTAINLY SOUNDS LIKE MANCHA ON THE DMBC VOCAL. DIFERENT TO THE OTHER SIDE ANYWAY.

BRI PINCH.

Hi Bri

Would you say that the CD track credited to Mancha is the same take as your Professionals 45 then please? :g:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Hi Bri

Would you say that the CD track credited to Mancha is the same take as your Professionals 45 then please? :g:

Cheers

Richard

aaaarrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!! I'm getting completely lost. lease, somebody set the record straight.

How I follow the thread so far:

The Essential Detroit Comp cd cut is a) the best cut and cool.gif what you hear if you are listening to the actual Professionals 45, only it is credited on the CD as Steve Mancha, because it IS Steve Mancha singing; the Wheelsville 45 credited to Steve Mancha is also Steve Mancha, it is just an inferior version of his miscredited 'Professionals' 45.

or what??

Social source share

aaaarrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!! I'm getting completely lost. lease, somebody set the record straight.

How I follow the thread so far:

The Essential Detroit Comp cd cut is a) the best cut and cool.gif what you hear if you are listening to the actual Professionals 45, only it is credited on the CD as Steve Mancha, because it IS Steve Mancha singing; the Wheelsville 45 credited to Steve Mancha is also Steve Mancha, it is just an inferior version of his miscredited 'Professionals' 45.

or what??

Yes, that was my assessment too.

We just need someone to post up the Professionals from original vinyl :)

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Clyde 'Steve Mancha' Wilson only sings on the Wheelsville 45 version of Did My Baby Call.

The Professionals cut features a different singer: I don't know who he is (I was always led to believe The Professionals were essentially a dance troupe who didn't actually record all their own vocals on record, but stand to be corrected on that) but it's not Steve Mancha.

Goldmine Soul Supply used The Professionals version of the track on their CD/LP The Essential Detroit Collection and mistakenly credited it as Steve Mancha on Wheelsville.

As others have said Clyde Wilson had an extremely distinctive voice: his singing is in a higher register and is a lot more expressive than the vocalist on The Professionals. Both versions are great Detroit soul and I'd gladly listen to either.

Social source share

OK - I have Mancha on vinyl but not the Professionals (poor f**kin me :) ) so ...

Post 1 of 2.

NB - both tracks from CD straight off the laptop.

Did My Baby Call from the Goldmine The Essential Detroit Soul Collection CD.

Credited to Mancha but reputedly the Professionals. The best version by far.

Cheers

Richard

04___Did_My_Baby_Call.mp3

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Steve Mancha Did My Baby Call from the VSOP CD Detroit Soulman - The Best Of Steve Mancha.

After a couple of beers :) I would say the previous one I posted above from the Goldmine CD is not Mancha - but whether it is the Professionals, exactly as released on Groove City, I can't say.

Now I bet someone is going to say these are alternate takes, so there will be even more versions to work out :):lol:

Cheers

Richard

01___Did_My_Baby_Call.mp3

Social source share

OK - I have Mancha on vinyl but not the Professionals (poor f**kin me :) ) so ...

Post 1 of 2.

NB - both tracks from CD straight off the laptop.

Did My Baby Call from the Goldmine The Essential Detroit Soul Collection CD.

Credited to Mancha but reputedly the Professionals. The best version by far.

Cheers

Richard

this doesn't sound like steve mancha to me.

this is actually worst version to my ears. The best version being the mad lads (they were just too good), then steve mancha, than this version.

Social source share

Its 100% not The Professionals States Steve Calloway from The Group , this question I've asked loads of times to him and he says no they never recorded the track although its on the b side of " That's why i love" you which they recorded . I Recall taking Steve in Max Millwards shop last year in Wolverhampton and This question was brought up , in fact Max played both sides of the 45 and when " Did my baby call " was being played and This was the first time Steve heard it he was shaking his head stating it's not them and they never cut this , Max can tell you the same , I've asked Steve who this could be but he admits he is not 100% but states it could Be Steve Mancha Or Joey Kingfish, also after many discussions it's lead to believe to be Steve Mancha but an Earlier recording than the Wheelsville 45 , Steve will be back in July doing 5 live groovesville review shows anyone is welcome to ask him about this .

Social source share

Its 100% not The Professionals States Steve Calloway from The Group , this question I've asked loads of times to him and he says no they never recorded the track although its on the b side of " That's why i love" you which they recorded . I Recall taking Steve in Max Millwards shop last year in Wolverhampton and This question was brought up , in fact Max played both sides of the 45 and when " Did my baby call " was being played and This was the first time Steve heard it he was shaking his head stating it's not them and they never cut this , Max can tell you the same , I've asked Steve who this could be but he admits he is not 100% but states it could Be Steve Mancha Or Joey Kingfish, also after many discussions it's lead to believe to be Steve Mancha but an Earlier recording than the Wheelsville 45 , Steve will be back in July doing 5 live groovesville review shows anyone is welcome to ask him about this .

hi chalky, yes i can confirm that steve calloway said it was steve mancha!!

ha! ha! now here's the good thing!! he said it was one of 3 cuts done by mr mancha!!

this can be verified a bit later this year!!

max..

Social source share

hi chalky, yes i can confirm that steve calloway said it was steve mancha!!

ha! ha! now here's the good thing!! he said it was one of 3 cuts done by mr mancha!!

this can be verified a bit later this year!!

max..

Hiya Max Thanks , yes there as been Various cuts on Did my baby call aswell as That's why I love , yes Steve is really looking forward to comimg over here in july for 3 weeks.

Social source share

this doesn't sound like steve mancha to me.

this is actually worst version to my ears. The best version being the mad lads (they were just too good), then steve mancha, than this version.

No way - the Professionals version kills the Mancha stone dead! I don't actualy like the Mancha version at all. And to make it worse, the Mancha version that was posted up is different to the Mancha version I heard most recently on Manship's auction site!!!???? Would love to hear the MadLads version. Or the Macc Lads version!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert