Rip.uriel Jones

Just this second had a call from Steve Calloway In Detroit telling me more sad news , that Funk Brother Uriel Jones as sadly passed way about an 1 hour ago , Just want to say he was apart of the Motown sound and Thank you Urel for being apart of The music we all love , the Music will live . R.I.P.

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Chalky,

I'm assuming it's Uriel Jones the drum player.

Another sad loss.

RIP

Just this second had a call from Steve Calloway In Detroit telling me more sad news , that Funk Brother Urel Jones as sadly passed way about an 1 hour ago , Just want to say he was apart of the Motown sound and Thank you Urel for being apart of The music we all love , the Music will live . R.I.P.
Social source share

Guest GrooveJunkies

Just this second had a call from Steve Calloway In Detroit telling me more sad news , that Funk Brother Urel Jones as sadly passed way about an 1 hour ago , Just want to say he was apart of the Motown sound and Thank you Urel for being apart of The music we all love , the Music will live . R.I.P.

Funk Brother Uriel Jones R.I.P , given us all so much pleasure over the years ........and will continue to give......saw them when they came over a few years ago...outstanding performance by all....it's locked in my memory for ever...The Funk Brothers...

Social source share

This is terrible news. He attended Mike Terry's funeral only a few short months ago and looked in great shape. The last of the three (drumming) amigos has left us. What a legacy they left. Heartfelt sympathies and commiserations are extended to his friends and family. Another sad loss.

Social source share

As time catches up with many of our legends the music they left behind becomes a beacon for their lives. Not many can claim to have touched the lives of people all over the world and Mr Jones belongs to that special group that certainly can. I'll crack a cold one tonight, dig a few of his performances out and celebrate "The Sound Of Young America" as only he and his snakepit compatriots could create. Sleep well Mr Jones Sir, and many congratulations on a job extremely well done.

Social source share

Guest SteveA

I just loved Uriel's sense of humour & storytelling in "Standing In The Shadows...".

Seems like he was not only a great musician but also a decent human being. No better epitaph.

Social source share

Guest familytree

As time catches up with many of our legends the music they left behind becomes a beacon for their lives. Not many can claim to have touched the lives of people all over the world and Mr Jones belongs to that special group that certainly can. I'll crack a cold one tonight, dig a few of his performances out and celebrate "The Sound Of Young America" as only he and his snakepit compatriots could create. Sleep well Mr Jones Sir, and many congratulations on a job extremely well done.

Here here!.... i enjoyed seeing the 'funk brothers' perform a few years back.. his stories brought tears to my eyes and most others in the audience.. a privilage to attend and pay tribute

a sad loss indeed but the 'beat' goes on in his music and in the hearts of all who love the sound of motown

rest in eternal rhythm x

Social source share

Guest bobby's girl

Just incredibly sad to hear this news... and I'm only just getting over the death of Levi a few months ago... :lol:

Planning to go to Detroit later this year for the 50th anniversary, and nursed an idle hope that I may see the great man in action.

Sadly it wasn't to be...

But what a legacy he's left us with...

Like Dave Moore, I'm gonna crack open a tinnie or two and play some Funk Brothers medleys in his honour.

Posting this article

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090325/ap_en_...bit_uriel_jones

I was particularly touched by his sister in laws sentiments at the end. Says it all really.

RIP Soul Brother.

p.s. Can you imagine the rhythm section assembling at those pearly gates... :lol:

Social source share

Just this second had a call from Steve Calloway In Detroit telling me more sad news , that Funk Brother Uriel Jones as sadly passed way about an 1 hour ago , Just want to say he was apart of the Motown sound and Thank you Urel for being apart of The music we all love , the Music will live . R.I.P.

r.i.p my thoughts to family and friends regards john

Social source share

Guest maria

Amazing musician, at least he enjoyed much belated fame through the film standing in the shadows of motown, many artists and musicians owe him a debt of gratitude, not only to him, but also the rest of the band. I always watch the film with sadness and joy, they all deserved better respect. r.i.p.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I heard about this news on the island of Madeira whilst checking my emails. Very sad news for the family, music, Detroit and the Motown sound. I was lucky enough to have met him and indeed he agreed to come on my 2008 Detroit session and play together with Spider Webb, the other drummer making up a Motown traditional pair in the studio. RIP Uriel, you will be missed for sure. My condolances to the family. If you do not know what he looks like or never seen him in action, go here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafJ7iyHB1A...re=channel_page

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert