Who Deserves A Compliation?

Guest SteveA

Gamble - tried to do this when I was at Westside and we had half of PIR. Some of the catalogue is owned by Sony, some isn't, but there are question marks all the way down the line as to who owns what, so it's not doable

TONE

Glenn @ 2 Entertain (aka Demon) claims that they have the rights to Gamble/Neptune/North Bay etc but the reality is that it'll be the usual pain in the ass to get any realistic communication flowing. I've personally given up on Gamble & Huff because I've never had any replies to any communications I've sent over the years. I don't think it's smooth sailing dealing with 'em either from what I've heard...........

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 70
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Chubby Checker (Cameo & Parkway) Soul sides, there is some good overlooked stuff like Karate Monkey and The Weekend's Here as well as the obvious stuff.

Cameo - Parkway Northern comp

I know this catalogue has major licensing difficulties problems due to the Allen Klien/Abkco connection, but there are some early 60's CC comp's, so other stuff maybe possible.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Glenn @ 2 Entertain (aka Demon) claims that they have the rights to Gamble/Neptune/North Bay etc but the reality is that it'll be the usual pain in the ass to get any realistic communication flowing. I've personally given up on Gamble & Huff because I've never had any replies to any communications I've sent over the years. I don't think it's smooth sailing dealing with 'em either from what I've heard...........

Ian D :thumbup:

When Soul Jazz put some Neptune sides out they licensed them from "Assorted Music" (d/b/a Philadelphia International Records) but they were all dubs, I think.

G & H's lawyer Phil Asbury got a 'Thank You' on the credits for that SJ CD, but it was the same Phil Asbury that I had to deal with when I was overseeing the G & H release programme on Westside, and who would always skirt round the issue when I would ask him for calrification of ownership, and for the masters, that would enable me to do the Neptune/North Bay story.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

What about the great AL WILSON PLAYBOY stuff .

And his ROCKY ROAD classics

These are out on about a million cheap CDs in the states and over here - the Rocky Road tracks are, anyway. There's 'conflict of ownership' over the Playboy sides. Al reckoned he got them back, but now he's gone we'll never know for sure.

Social source share

When Soul Jazz put some Neptune sides out they licensed them from "Assorted Music" (d/b/a Philadelphia International Records) but they were all dubs, I think.

G & H's lawyer Phil Asbury got a 'Thank You' on the credits for that SJ CD, but it was the same Phil Asbury that I had to deal with when I was overseeing the G & H release programme on Westside, and who would always skirt round the issue when I would ask him for calrification of ownership, and for the masters, that would enable me to do the Neptune/North Bay story.

Yep, that sounds familiar. I even contacted G & H just recently to clarify something with a couple of early P.I. track through Sony and it was the usual brick wall.......

I guess they made too much money LOL......

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest subbo

would have to be J.Moore& J.Daniels.all the stuff they wrote & J.Moore solo stuff all packaged up(a job for soulchasers i think).as previously mentioned willie johnson.

Social source share

Harold Burrage - from the fifties right through to his death - including other artists recordings of his tunes...

There was a Westside CD released a couple of years ago that compiled his recordings for the COBRA label. Might be hard to find these days though.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Harold Burrage - from the fifties right through to his death - including other artists recordings of his tunes...

Great shout Joe, SHOUT did an excellent McKinley Mitchell One-der-ful one CD so not sure if there would be enough even from that period for a good CD, but agree would love to hear all HB's output. I have always been under impression that HB also recorded as Stacey Johnson but can't find that evidenced anywhere, have I just made that up?

Pretty sure Grapevine did Johnny Moore about four years ago.

On spot as usual Mr S. Great CD which I think was put together with help of the very knowledgable Mr Box on here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lonely-Heart-City-...3273&sr=1-1

Johhny Bristol would be good...

Sam Dees 70's period

Wales Wallace

I assume the Johnny Bristol stuff has been issued as straight re-issues.

Think TSMGO is being or has recently been re-issued finally but for more of Mr Dees work you can't go past these 2 brilliant CD's, lots of the tracks I think are demos but still sound fantastic to my ear.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Second-None-Sam-De...ks_all_1#disc_1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heritage-Black-Man...ks_all_1#disc_1

I currently only have the empty cases for the above 2 so if I have left them with any of you after a long weekend I want them back pleeeaaaaseee.

Re Wales Wallace, does anyone have a full discography of his stuff, I have a few and all excellent but not sure how many he actually did. Separate thread if preferred for that okay with me,

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest subbo

Pretty sure Grapevine did Johnny Moore about four years ago.

been out loop for a while so cheers ,i will purchase a copy.havev most of his stuff but good to have it all together in easy play mode.still doesnt wrap up their writng talent.sorry,a few too many.big sid and me banged on about their stuff for years,in the kilt days.chicago greats vwithout the recognition thyey desereve IMO.

I WANT A KILT REUNION

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I would if there was enough love to see some Moses Smith but we know not enough to go for a cd

what about any O'Jays comp with only there early releases nothing from the Philly label

Jeff Perry would be good too

Blinky on motown comp

Jimmy Helms

Homer Banks - But someone may have done that

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I would if there was enough love to see some Moses Smith but we know not enough to go for a cd

what about any O'Jays comp with only there early releases nothing from the Philly label

Jeff Perry would be good too

Blinky on motown comp

Jimmy Helms

Homer Banks - But someone may have done that

EMI did both the O'Jays and Homer Banks Imperial/Minit Recordings on CD a few years back...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert