Who Deserves A Compliation?

Guest SteveA

Guest SteveA

Which artists have yet to have a compilation & most deserve one?

I'm sure Mr Croasdell's working on it but there's plenty waiting to done...

Carl Carlton, Donnie Elbert, Darrow Fletcher for starters...

Whose compilation would you most like to see issued?

Social source share

• Replies 70
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Whose compilation would you most like to see issued?

Darrow Fletcher would be one of those up there for sure, but top choice for me would be Otis Leaville :)

..mind someone will say Otis already has a comp. out now! :thumbup::thumbup:

steve

Social source share

Darrow Fletcher would be one of those up there for sure, but top choice for me would be Otis Leaville :D

..mind someone will say Otis already has a comp. out now! :D:D

steve

Soulscape were working on an Otis Leavill compilation with Carl Davis - the logistics of proper licensing were a nightmare... I gave up in the end - the work and potential litigation just weren't worth it for the sales involved.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I did what I thought was a pretty decent Donnie Elbert comp when I was at Sequel in 1998, a 2CD set called R & B Maverick that covered Donnie's late 60s -early 70s stuff...

I also did a CD that compiled all of Otis Leavill''s Brunswick and Dakar sides along with Major Lance's Dakar's and Billy Butler's Brunswicks.

Neither sold all that well, sad to say...

But those who think that 'doing a compilation' is just a matter of phoning up a copyright owner and saying 'here mate, license us this' should be mindful of the fact that most majors will not license out repertoire that they can't prove 100% that they own. Also, a multi-label retrospective quite often means multi ownership and that makes for sales projections that could never be attained in a million years.

In the case of someone like Carl Carlton, it's probably less difficult as, one way or another, most of the labels that Carl has recorded for down the years have ended up being owned by Universal, be they Golden World, Back Beat or 20th Century. But a comprehensive Darrow Fletcher set would involve licensing from Universal, WEA, Darrow himself and the Ray Charles estate (who never license anything!). It would probably have to sell about twice as many as a Carl Carlton to just break even and thus it would put such a concept outside the operational thresholds of many reissue labels.

Having said that, I'm currently working on a multi-label retrospective for Kent of someone who really does deserve such a thing - Leon Haywood - so if you're a Leon lover, look out for further news on that one...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Harold Burrage,Mad Lads,Freddie Hughes.Not got a clue if they've already got one.

No, yes and soon respectively...

...although again I did do Harold Burrage's Complete Cobra Recordings on CD when I was with Westside.

Ace has excellent CDs available of the Mad Lads Complete Atlantic-era Volt recordings, and a superb best of the later 'fingerclickin' era Volt 45s

Social source share

Given a fair wind with licensing issues a comprehensive and well mastered 'Complete Willie Tee singles' would be really welcome.

The effort from Tuff City a few years ago was alright as far as it went but the mastering was unfortunately pretty shoddy and sequentially it missed a few good tracks from AFO, Capitol, UA etc.

Social source share

Fantastic Four

I was after a couple on here a while ago and so many others came to light (and went on the wants list :rolleyes: ) some kind, hardworking soul could save me a small fortune.

And it's be a cracking comp :ohmy: Best of all worlds!

Edited by wolfie66
Social source share

I did what I thought was a pretty decent Donnie Elbert comp when I was at Sequel in 1998, a 2CD set called R & B Maverick that covered Donnie's late 60s -early 70s stuff...

I also did a CD that compiled all of Otis Leavill''s Brunswick and Dakar sides along with Major Lance's Dakar's and Billy Butler's Brunswicks.

And a sterling job you did Tony. I bought one and it's fabulous. Pushed me to go out and buy more of his singles and albums.

Kev :rolleyes:

Social source share

But those who think that 'doing a compilation' is just a matter of phoning up a copyright owner and saying 'here mate, license us this' should be mindful of the fact that most majors will not license out repertoire that they can't prove 100% that they own. Also, a multi-label retrospective quite often means multi ownership and that makes for sales projections that could never be attained in a million years.

In the case of someone like Carl Carlton, it's probably less difficult as, one way or another, most of the labels that Carl has recorded for down the years have ended up being owned by Universal, be they Golden World, Back Beat or 20th Century. But a comprehensive Darrow Fletcher set would involve licensing from Universal, WEA, Darrow himself and the Ray Charles estate (who never license anything!). It would probably have to sell about twice as many as a Carl Carlton to just break even and thus it would put such a concept outside the operational thresholds of many reissue labels.

Having said that, I'm currently working on a multi-label retrospective for Kent of someone who really does deserve such a thing - Leon Haywood - so if you're a Leon lover, look out for further news on that one...

Tony summed up everything quite comprehensively there. :rolleyes:

Something else I've noticed in the last few months, is that the majors are now almost completely ignoring any licence requests which 'aren't on their system' and which 'have not been asigned ISRC codes' (these are the digital codes which ensure that any digital payments go to the right song/version/master/copyright owner). A CD will not be manufactured now by any of the majors unless every track has the correct ISRC code.

So we're now in a position where they won't really consider releasing anything unless it's: 1) relatively easy to clear, 2) is on their internal system and 3) has an ISRC code, because anything that doesn't comply with that simply becomes a pain in the ass to get cleared. The last few releases I've been involved in with a major have produced huge headaches on virtually all the tracks which have never been released on CD before and even a few which have.

What's even more frustrating is that whenever a major has bought out an indie company, the bulk of the repertoire may as well be forgotten as they don't tend to put any resource into updating their databases and systems. Also the people who now seem to be dealing with this stuff at the majors are not the people who know anything about the repertoire. Additionally, they won't make any effort to clear anything unless there's a clear paper-trail of ownership, which for the 60's stuff means accessing a storage facility and looking for 45 year old paperwork if it even still exists. Nuts ay?

So anyone attempting to clear, say, a Carl Carlton package through Universal (even if they could afford it) will be screwed. All the Backbeat and Golden World stuff would have to be on the system as well as the ABC masters. I doubt that even 10% of it will be there.

Additionally, it makes no financial sense at all to try and clear the lesser-known tracks through the majors anymore. The licensing costs do not bear any relation to the real market, so for a comprehensive Carl Carlton package of say 20 tracks from Universal, there wouldn't be any change from £10K-£15K, IF they'd licence at all, which is unlikely (Universal will tell anyone that 99% of their business is with the other majors and the 1% that isn't is a pain in the ass). So add the cost of MCPS, manufacturing,

design, repro, distribution, promotion, marketing, retail discounts and general overhead and you're looking @ a £25K investment in a product which may sell 2K (and falling everyday) if you're lucky. That means you'd have to wholesale 'em @ £12.50 apiece just to break even which ain't ever gonna happen.

So the future is clear to me. Apart from the Kent/Ace and Numero's of this world it's gonna be bootleg city for physical product.

Depressing ay?

Ian D :ohmy:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Soulscape were working on an Otis Leavill compilation with Carl Davis - the logistics of proper licensing were a nightmare... I gave up in the end - the work and potential litigation just weren't worth it for the sales involved.

Otis was a wonderful guy...great to me in the 70's when I stayed at his house in Chicago and just as wonderful in later years when got to know him again though "Strange World Of Northern Soul".

He was a tough guy (cop for Chicago police and top marksman) but kind with it,and very on top of things - couldn't believe it when he died.

In the 70's he took me into a studio where Carl Davis was working on a track, absolutely never to be forgotten moment.

Social source share

The very best of Ian Levine........................................

Sorreeeey, just avin a larf.

There cant be many artists who could put 20 tracks out, that have not made a best of cd/albumn etc. Darrow Fletcher must be the front runner and is obviously still plenty young enough to make new material to compliment it.

Ed

Social source share

Fantastic Four

I was after a couple on here a while ago and so many others came to light (and went on the wants list :rolleyes: ) some kind, hardworking soul could save me a small fortune.

And it's be a cracking comp :ohmy: Best of all worlds!

Should've checked first, already been one done, on Motown. Trouble is, it looks like it would cost me about £95! ohmy.gif Anyone on here got a copy?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Fantastic-Fou...080&sr=1-10

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Seconded! Nothing much on CD at all as yet........

Ian D :rolleyes:

I was trying to do something on Oscar back in 2001, when I was still working for Westside and I ran into him while doing tape research in Houston. He didn't have any of his Peri-Tone etc tapes, unfortunately and, as you know, mate, the cost of cleaning up disc dubs ain't cheap!

Anyway, I didn't push the issue too hard, partly because of that and partly because I was on the verge of joining Ace anyway. Unfortunately, Oscar passed not too long after that, so I guess that the only way you'll find Oscar's best dancers on CD will be on some shoddily mastered bootleg, that won't benefit him at all, sometime in the future.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

James Phelps

As you can imagine, Craig, I've given this plenty of thought over a long period of time. Problem is, James just did not record enough tracks to make a CD of any reasonable length. There's nothing that I'm aware of in the can (certainly not on Argo/Cadet or Fontana, there isn't).

Never mind a CD, I think you'd actually struggle to pull together enough tracks to fill a vinyl LP.

That's always assuming that you could get the licensor to believe they own it, of course...

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Tony summed up everything quite comprehensively there. :lol:

Something else I've noticed in the last few months, is that the majors are now almost completely ignoring any licence requests which 'aren't on their system' and which 'have not been asigned ISRC codes' (these are the digital codes which ensure that any digital payments go to the right song/version/master/copyright owner). A CD will not be manufactured now by any of the majors unless every track has the correct ISRC code.

So we're now in a position where they won't really consider releasing anything unless it's: 1) relatively easy to clear, 2) is on their internal system and 3) has an ISRC code, because anything that doesn't comply with that simply becomes a pain in the ass to get cleared. The last few releases I've been involved in with a major have produced huge headaches on virtually all the tracks which have never been released on CD before and even a few which have.

What's even more frustrating is that whenever a major has bought out an indie company, the bulk of the repertoire may as well be forgotten as they don't tend to put any resource into updating their databases and systems. Also the people who now seem to be dealing with this stuff at the majors are not the people who know anything about the repertoire. Additionally, they won't make any effort to clear anything unless there's a clear paper-trail of ownership, which for the 60's stuff means accessing a storage facility and looking for 45 year old paperwork if it even still exists. Nuts ay?

So anyone attempting to clear, say, a Carl Carlton package through Universal (even if they could afford it) will be screwed. All the Backbeat and Golden World stuff would have to be on the system as well as the ABC masters. I doubt that even 10% of it will be there.

Additionally, it makes no financial sense at all to try and clear the lesser-known tracks through the majors anymore. The licensing costs do not bear any relation to the real market, so for a comprehensive Carl Carlton package of say 20 tracks from Universal, there wouldn't be any change from £10K-£15K, IF they'd licence at all, which is unlikely (Universal will tell anyone that 99% of their business is with the other majors and the 1% that isn't is a pain in the ass). So add the cost of MCPS, manufacturing,

design, repro, distribution, promotion, marketing, retail discounts and general overhead and you're looking @ a £25K investment in a product which may sell 2K (and falling everyday) if you're lucky. That means you'd have to wholesale 'em @ £12.50 apiece just to break even which ain't ever gonna happen.

So the future is clear to me. Apart from the Kent/Ace and Numero's of this world it's gonna be bootleg city for physical product.

Depressing ay?

Ian D :lol:

A thread on here about the sound track on a film about northern soul, said the cost of putting some backing tracks on it was some massive cost ,is this right ?i can understand what your saying about getting them cleared it sounds a night mare may be thats why motown keep banging out the same old same old!

Social source share

A thread on here about the sound track on a film about northern soul, said the cost of putting some backing tracks on it was some massive cost ,is this right ?i can understand what your saying about getting them cleared it sounds a night mare may be thats why motown keep banging out the same old same old!

Same old, same old will be the name of the game for 95% of compilations which need to license from the majors from now on unfortunately Soul.Boy. Film soundtracks have always been expensive to licence because film companies have traditionally always paid through the nose anyway and the companies aren't too interested in giving any breaks to film-makers - they figure that if there's enough cash to make a film, then there's enough cash to pay top whack for the soundtrack.

I find it amazing that 95% of all the Motown tracks I want are not available on CD in this country but are freely available on the net if you know where to look. This will become much more common as CD releases start drying up due to the shrinking market. Those Sequel/Westside CD releases which Tony was talking about earlier in the thread are RARE these days! Try finding 'em now. Same for much of the early Ace/Kent catalogue. If you see 'em around then buy 'em 'cos you may not have another chance to get 'em on a pristine CD with proper liner notes etc.

Social source share

Has Roy Hamilton ever been done?, good masters available RCA & Epic. Tons of good Northern/ rare stuff, some great beat ballards.

And a F**king brilliant singer as well ! laugh.gif

During the past couple of years, UK label Shout have released two Roy Hamilton CDs - the first one filled with Epic recordings and the second one collecting his RCA and AGP sides.

Check this out:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/shout/artists/royhamilton.htm

Social source share

During the past couple of years, UK label Shout have released two Roy Hamilton CDs - the first one filled with Epic recordings and the second one collecting his RCA and AGP sides.

Check this out:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/shout/artists/royhamilton.htm

Thanks for that, just read their web page "offers" 5 CDs for £35 quite a bargain, just going to take another look ,but think there many be £70s worth coming Thanks thumbsup.gif

here's the link

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/shout/offers.php

Rob

But make sure you press the artists link! I very nearly bought an Alien Sex Fiend bundle............... :wicked:

Ian D :shades:

Social source share

Would love to see these 2 properly represented - maybe not digging as deep as some of the suggestions above but how about -

Whispers - Right through their 60s releases on Soul Clock etc, through to Janus and Solar

Harold Melvin/Bluenotes/Teddy Pendergrass - Enough solo/group releases across Philly, ABC, Source, MCA, Glades etc to fill 80 minutes of anyone's liistening time!

Cheers

Steve.

Edited by steveh73
Social source share

Willie Johnson, Clarence Reid, Charles Brimmer (and Pic & Bill and Willie Tee mentioned already)

Willie Johnson = Soulscape was working on that - then Willie went and released his own botched job - which took the icing off the cake.

Clarence Reid = Henry Stone has done his own botched jobs - and approaching the major in UK for licensing is a waste of time cos as soon as anyone does it, they'll go release it themselves.

Charles Brimmer = Soulscape working on this - but the licensing is a nightmare with New Orleans being the minefield it is and everyone and his dog claiming ownership - and 2 of the major players now dead, the chain of title is a mess.

Social source share

Willie Johnson = Soulscape was working on that - then Willie went and released his own botched job - which took the icing off the cake.

Clarence Reid = Henry Stone has done his own botched jobs - and approaching the major in UK for licensing is a waste of time cos as soon as anyone does it, they'll go release it themselves.

Charles Brimmer = Soulscape working on this - but the licensing is a nightmare with New Orleans being the minefield it is and everyone and his dog claiming ownership - and 2 of the major players now dead, the chain of title is a mess.

All in a days work Gary! :rolleyes:

Social source share

tuska label

tragar label

kim tolliver

willie johnson (just seen this above so where can I get hold of the comp he put out ?)

annette snell

gene and eddie

plus loads more...

Tuska = the owner doesn't want to deal; funk guys have approached him for the funk and I've shown interest for the Barbara Hall's .... it's a no...

Annette Snell = not enough stuff for a CD - she did ruffs for the Epic LP, but they're unusable....

Social source share

Guest lotusland

a NYC label is working on a Harvey Scales comp now. Long overdue, hopefully it will be done well. Can't imagine dealing with Mr LaCour is pleasant for anyone.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The Radiants

Gamble Records

Linda Jones (Loma/Neptune)

Cheers Paul

Radiants - been booted on CD, with additional bonus cuts by Maurice & Mac. Very comprehensive, and completely blows any chance (and makes redundant any point) of a legit Radiants CD...

Gamble - tried to do this when I was at Westside and we had half of PIR. Some of the catalogue is owned by Sony, some isn't, but there are question marks all the way down the line as to who owns what, so it's not doable

Linda - there's a "Best Of" CD on a legit US label called Empire that covers Linda from Blue Cat through to Turbo. Not enirely sure who they licensed it from (my guess would be George Kerr) and there are some dubs involved, but it does have at least some of the Neptunes and a big stack of Loma's.

Hope all's well in the flatlands, Paul my friend!

TONE

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert