Silhouettes On Ebay

Guest east rob

Guest east rob

the silhouettes on ebay from japan- label just looks too new. on the one i had it said "taken from the album get a job" ( i think) it is a while ago. any thoughts?

cheers, rob.

Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest newone

the silhouettes on ebay from japan- label just looks too new. on the one i had it said "taken from the album get a job" ( i think) it is a while ago. any thoughts?

cheers, rob.

on manships auction at the moment, bottom of page u can compare the two

Social source share

Guest newone

cheers, rob.

he has fantastic feedback look what he sold admirations for got to be kosher

Social source share

cheers, rob.

The LP is what gave birth to the 45 - ONLY available as a 'Promo' item, and given away FREE inside the album.

I've not looked at the one currently on ebay, but it SHOULD contain details on the label to the effect of; from the LP 'The Original And New '58/'68 Get A Job' along with 'PROMO'. If it DOESN'T display that info I (personally) wouldn't touch it with the proverbial Barge pole !!

Fingers.. :D

Social source share

cheers, rob.

Looks good to me, and it's from a trusted, recommended seller.

John

Social source share

Guest east rob

Looks good to me, and it's from a trusted, recommended seller.

John

ok chaps, i stand corrected. mind isnt what it was! wacko.gif

i even forgot it was the same seller for the "peachy" one. & i was watching it! :D

Social source share

The LP is what gave birth to the 45 - ONLY available as a 'Promo' item, and given away FREE inside the album.

I've not looked at the one currently on ebay, but it SHOULD contain details on the label to the effect of; from the LP 'The Original And New '58/'68 Get A Job' along with 'PROMO'. If it DOESN'T display that info I (personally) wouldn't touch it with the proverbial Barge pole !!

Fingers.. :D

I remember many years ago an US seller found the album with the promo 45. He put both separately on Ebay, both starting at something like $49.99. The bids for the 45 went mental whereas only two people placed a bid on the album, which eventually sold for about $70. I was pretty happy for getting the album that cheap :D:D

Social source share

apparently the album sold around 200,000 copies,

so that is 200,000 singles,

:D

I guess 200 copies more likely :D

I know for a fact that the group split up right after the album came out because of its non-success so rather unlikely it sold well isn't it?

Social source share

Home | SiteMap | History | Discography | Reunion | Profiles | Lyrics | Trivia | Interview | Jukebox | Video

4: The New Silhouettes

and Other Post-Silhouettes Groups

from Love Played A Leading Part

by Todd R Baptista (1996)

In the late 1960s, The New Silhouettes continued to do live shows and club dates, keeping their sound alive. In 1968, an album merchandising agreement was made with the Sears and Roebuck company that resulted in the distribution of the group's first album. Titled The Original and New Silhouettes 58/68 Get A Job, the album was released on Goodway Records, a small company located on Roosevelt Boulevard in Philadelphia under the direction of Ed Cotlar. Cut at The Bell Studio in New York, it featured original versions of songs that spanned the group's career, from Get A Job and I Am Lonely to Rent Man and Climb Every Mountain. The album also included new recordings including a contemporary version of the 1930s tune Gaucho Serenade, and a soul-laced reworking of Get A Job.

According to the sales figures given to Lewis, over 200,000 copies of the Goodway LP were sold through Sears. The album is a collector's item today with copies selling for $200-$800. A photo of Wilson, Lewis, Beal, and Brown appeared on the back of the album. Although Brown sang on the new recordings, the liner notes listed Otis Lewis as being the group's bass. In actuality, Otis Lewis served as a temporary replacement and did not record with The Silhouettes. Goodway also released a single from the album, Gaucho Serenade / Not Me Baby, which they included in the jacket of each LP. Disco enthusiasts have long pointed to Not Me Baby as being one of the earliest examples of that style. For this reason, demand for the record in America and overseas remains high.

Soon thereafter, the acid rock and ever-present British groups had made it impossible for The New Silhouettes to find work. The number of live dates had dwindled, and without a record deal in sight, The New Silhouettes called it quits at the end of 1968.

Next

Intro | 1951-7 | 1957-61 | 1961-68 | 1968-93

Writing by Todd R Baptista

TRB Enterprises, PO Box 50962,

New Bedford, MA 02745-0033

Edited by headsy
Social source share

Headsy, I stand corrected (if that figure is correct).

But it still puzzles why the album is so hard to find when it sold 200.000 copies? Should have been in the R&B charts with those sales figures?

There's just no way the album sold 200,000 copies. I think someone was boosting the sales figures for some reason. A little Philly company like Goodway would expect to sell circa 2K copies at the most on an oldies act like the Silhouettes if they were lucky. The single is dead rare in my opinion and I'd be surprised if there were any more than a couple of hundred total........

Ian D :D

Social source share

post-2298-1237906027_thumb.jpg

Looks absolutely fine to me and this seller always delivers quickly too.

Never seen another with a company sleeve though (I suspect they were put together long after release but still looks good.) :D

Now That Does Look Nice Mate.

Goodway_G-101a_DJ.jpg

I Bought My Copy Along With The Steinways On A Trip To Soul Bowl Back In The 70's.

First Listen & I Bought Them Both, Didn't See The L.P. Just Told It Was Included In The Album As A Promotion.

The First Time I Played It Out Following Purchase It Didn't Fill The Floor At All.

The Steinways Struggled A Little Too As Most Liked The "My Hearts Not In It Anymore" Side.

I Bought Them 'Cause I Liked Them, Still Love Them, And They Have Stood The Test Of Time.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I notice that the 45 in that company sleeve has got a more modern typeface used for the lettering.

Are both designs kosher?

silhouettes.jpg

Well spotted Sebastian. Why would they press this twice? If it was a promo for the LP it would most likely only have had one pressing. The one on the left is kosher but the one on the right doesn't look correct to me..........

Ian D :D

Social source share

Well spotted Sebastian. Why would they press this twice? If it was a promo for the LP it would most likely only have had one pressing. The one on the left is kosher but the one on the right doesn't look correct to me..........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Now I'm worried they do look like different type sets. I've had it about 6 years and I was more worried about it arriving when I won it as it took over six weeks to come from the states I'll have to compare the run outs next time I'm at Middleton to be sure. :D

The more I look the more the others all look the same and the less mine does.

Social source share

I notice that the 45 in that company sleeve has got a more modern typeface used for the lettering.

Are both designs kosher?

silhouettes.jpg

Ian D :)

Yes,Sebastian, Well Spotted Mate.

post-2298-1237906027_thumb.jpg

Looks absolutely fine to me and this seller always delivers quickly too.

Never seen another with a company sleeve though (I suspect they were put together long after release but still looks good.) :thumbup:

Did It Arrive With That Sleeve, Or Is Sleeve From A Different Source.

The Sleeve Is So Eye Catching, Never Seen One Before, Worried That It May Have Been Used To Distract.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions Now Must Be,

• Are There Others (Surely Not A One Off) Whatever Its Origin, Where Are The Other Copies Like This.
  • Definitive On The Amount Originally Made. Ians 200 Is Closer In My Opinion Than 200,000.
  • Possibility Of Different Pressing Plants Involved At The Time. If 200 From 2,000 or Thereabouts Would More Than One Pressing Plant Be Involved.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Yes,Sebastian, Well Spotted Mate.

Did It Arrive With That Sleeve, Or Is Sleeve From A Different Source.

The Sleeve Is So Eye Catching, Never Seen One Before, Worried That It May Have Been Used To Distract.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions Now Must Be,

• Are There Others (Surely Not A One Off) Whatever Its Origin, Where Are The Other Copies Like This.
  • Definitive On The Amount Originally Made. Ians 200 Is Closer In My Opinion Than 200,000.
  • Possibility Of Different Pressing Plants Involved At The Time. If 200 From 2,000 or Thereabouts Would More Than One Pressing Plant Be Involved.

Plus another couple of key questions:-

1) Is this the only known 45 release on Goodway?

2) If it is and it was a giveaway with the album, then why would they need to put it in a special Goodway 45 sleeve? No one would see it until after they'd bought the

album, so anything other than a plain white sleeve would be a waste of money.

The plot thickens...........

Ian D :)

Social source share

The sleeve looks totally wrong to me.

I immediately reacted to that the "Goodway Records Inc., 11401..." line seems to be written with the Century Gothic typface, a font that was introduced in 1991. That typeface obviously took inspiration from earlier fonts, but the a in Century Gothic is very distinct.

Also... I just noticed... Philadelphia is mis-spelled Philidelphia in the address on the company sleeve... :D

Social source share

The sleeve looks totally wrong to me.

I immediately reacted to that the "Goodway Records Inc., 11401..." line seems to be written with the Century Gothic typface, a font that was introduced in 1991. That typeface obviously took inspiration from earlier fonts, but the a in Century Gothic is very distinct.

Also... I just noticed... Philadelphia is mis-spelled Philidelphia in the address on the company sleeve... :D

Well spotted my friend, I noticed the same..plus...no original company sleeves had been stamped back in the day...they all have been printed...plus...the logo in the top is not placed accurate as it is placed lower on the right side.

Don`t believe that there have been ordered two different pressing runs with different label printings as well..

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Must say that both Sebastian & Marc have made excellent observations !! :rolleyes:

I include a scan of the LP for comparison of font sizes, placement, etc - and add fuel to the flames concerning the company sleeve for the 45:

There is no mention on the LP sleeve, WHATSOEVER, that there is a giveaway 45 contained in the album.. so WHY would they put the 45 in a company sleeve !?! ph34r.gif

Fingers :ohmy:

post-10024-1238001920_thumb.jpg

Social source share

As I said before NOBODY should bid on this.

I'll bid on your behalf and when I win it I'll let you know if it's OK :ohmy::)

The things I do for folks thumbup.gif

:rolleyes: phil i recall this laying on you record room floor years ago after the leeds allnighter sure you had the l.p. to?am i right :shhh: how's thing's regards john

Social source share

:rolleyes: phil i recall this laying on you record room floor years ago after the leeds allnighter sure you had the l.p. to?am i right :ohmy: how's thing's regards john

Hi John,

Going not too bad (still buying too many records smile.gif ) How's things with you?

You've got a good memory. I had an unopened copy of the LP with the 45 in it.

Sold the 45, still have the LP. But would quite like the 45 again.

Phil

Social source share

Home | SiteMap | History | Discography | Reunion | Profiles | Lyrics | Trivia | Interview | Jukebox | Video

4: The New Silhouettes

and Other Post-Silhouettes Groups

from Love Played A Leading Part

by Todd R Baptista (1996)

In the late 1960s, The New Silhouettes continued to do live shows and club dates, keeping their sound alive. In 1968, an album merchandising agreement was made with the Sears and Roebuck company that resulted in the distribution of the group's first album. Titled The Original and New Silhouettes 58/68 Get A Job, the album was released on Goodway Records, a small company located on Roosevelt Boulevard in Philadelphia under the direction of Ed Cotlar. Cut at The Bell Studio in New York, it featured original versions of songs that spanned the group's career, from Get A Job and I Am Lonely to Rent Man and Climb Every Mountain. The album also included new recordings including a contemporary version of the 1930s tune Gaucho Serenade, and a soul-laced reworking of Get A Job.

According to the sales figures given to Lewis, over 200,000 copies of the Goodway LP were sold through Sears. The album is a collector's item today with copies selling for $200-$800. A photo of Wilson, Lewis, Beal, and Brown appeared on the back of the album. Although Brown sang on the new recordings, the liner notes listed Otis Lewis as being the group's bass. In actuality, Otis Lewis served as a temporary replacement and did not record with The Silhouettes. Goodway also released a single from the album, Gaucho Serenade / Not Me Baby, which they included in the jacket of each LP. Disco enthusiasts have long pointed to Not Me Baby as being one of the earliest examples of that style. For this reason, demand for the record in America and overseas remains high.

Soon thereafter, the acid rock and ever-present British groups had made it impossible for The New Silhouettes to find work. The number of live dates had dwindled, and without a record deal in sight, The New Silhouettes called it quits at the end of 1968.

Next

Intro | 1951-7 | 1957-61 | 1961-68 | 1968-93

Writing by Todd R Baptista

TRB Enterprises, PO Box 50962,

New Bedford, MA 02745-0033

Great informative post and intrigued by "Disco enthusiasts have long pointed to Not me baby as one of the earliest examples of that style...." eh!

Social source share

There is no mention on the LP sleeve, WHATSOEVER, that there is a giveaway 45 contained in the album.. so WHY would they put the 45 in a company sleeve !?! :lol:

As far as I remember there was a sticker on the wrapping mentioning the 45 freebie.

Social source share

Ian D :lol:

SCAN NO 1 100% ORIGINAL SAME FONT AS PHILLY LABELS FAIRMOUNT, CAMEO, PARKWAY, SASSY, PARTYTIME ETC.

SCAN NO 2 WELL DODGY :g: .

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert