Your Early 'warm Up' Tunes That You Play

Slow, Deep, Group Harmony, Beat Ballads, Oddities, Latin etc?

Do you play for 'yourself' - or In Other Words (the fascinators :shades: ) what you want to hear, or do you experiment with tunes at the back of your box?

Do most peeps start with slower paced tunes and slowly build up the tempo?

And (finally), what do you play?? :lol:

Edited by ian williams
Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Slow, Deep, Group Harmony, Beat Ballads, Oddities, Latin etc?

Do you play for 'yourself' - or In Other Words (the fascinators :ohmy: ) what you want to hear, or do you experiment with tunes at the back of your box?

Do most peeps start with slower paced tunes and slowly build up the tempo?

And (finally), what do you play?? :lol:

Some would argue best time to DJ, play stuff you think should be getting wider aclaim:-

Flairs-Where you live

Caesars-Girl I miss you

Delwands-This time (I,m gonna win)

Florida Spiritulaires-I remember

Lee Shot Williams-It aint me

Jo Ann Garrett-One woman

To name but a few

Kev

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Warm up sets should be done by DJs who know what they are doing, with one aim, to get dancers up on the floor and build the atmosphere. Classics and floor fillers, tunes that set the tone for the night.

I've always found it a nonsense giving 'up and coming' and 'collectors' spots at what is, in my opinion, the most important part of the night, the first few hours. It sets the tone, sets people's attitudes towards the party, and to surrender that time to non DJs or DJs who want to experiment with shitters is damaging to the dance.

Has the northern scene always been like this?

The 100 Club, for an example (but could easily use other examples), the 1.30am starts used to be perfect, come in, Mick Smith always starting off, with his classic oldies set, sets the tone, everyone in, atmosphere electric with anticipation within the first hour, then it went off...

Now it's a bit of a mish mash in the first couple of hours. In my opinion, give Mick Smith the first 2 1/2 hours, he's one of the best in the game (on the northern scene) of getting folk up and on the floor and in the mood, he doesn't try to be clever or piss about experimenting. Then give Butch a full 1 1/2 or 2 hour set at 2.30am, some time like that. And the same could be said for most places. Forget the trying out of tunes you're unsure of, either test them prime time, or don't bother. If you play them at home and they are not up to the job, don't bother in the club.

Get back to basics, think about the dance, a lot of clubs would be better more exciting places for it. Build anticipation, set the tone, then unleash the big guns and start hurting some feelings.

All too often it's a case of piss about with shitters, frustrate dancers, empty dance floor, bored people, then the main DJs come on and feel they have to play classics to get the floor going again. So wrong.

Just my opinion.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Warm up sets should be done by DJs who know what they are doing, with one aim, to get dancers up on the floor and build the atmosphere. Classics and floor fillers, tunes that set the tone for the night.

I've always found it a nonsense giving 'up and coming' and 'collectors' spots at what is, in my opinion, the most important part of the night, the first few hours. It sets the tone, sets people's attitudes towards the party, and to surrender that time to non DJs or DJs who want to experiment with shitters is damaging to the dance.

The 100 Club, for an example (but could easily use other examples), the 1.30am starts used to be perfect, come in, Mick Smith always starting off, with his classic oldies set, sets the tone, everyone in, atmosphere electric with anticipation within the first hour, then it went off...

Now it's a bit of a mish mash in the first couple of hours. In my opinion, give Mick Smith the first 2 1/2 hours, he's one of the best in the game (on the northern scene) of getting folk up and on the floor and in the mood, he doesn't try to be clever or piss about experimenting. Then give Butch a full 1 1/2 or 2 hour set at 2.30am, some time like that. And the same could be said for most places. Forget the trying out of tunes you're unsure of, either test them prime time, or don't bother. If you play them at home and they are not up to the job, don't bother in the club.

Get back to basics, think about the dance, a lot of clubs would be better more exciting places for it. Build anticipation, set the tone, then unleash the big guns and start hurting some feelings.

All too often it's a case of piss about with shitters, frustrate dancers, empty dance floor, bored people, then the main DJs come on and feel they have to play classics to get the floor going again. So wrong.

Just my opinion.

Spot on Best bit of Common sense DJ advice i've read for ages

Social source share

Just my opinion.

Wow. Agreed James. Makes perfect sense.

Ian D :wicked:

Social source share

Just my opinion.

AND BANG ON IT IS TOO JAMES :g: .

BRI PINCH,

Social source share

Some would argue best time to DJ, play stuff you think should be getting wider aclaim:-

Flairs-Where you live

Caesars-Girl I miss you

Jo Ann Garrett-One woman

To name but a few

Kev

Superb selections. Really enjoyed listenin to them there.

Graham

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Just my opinion.

spot on , it has to be quality from the start .....here was the first half hour of BASICS last night

ac reed - i got money to burn

betty o'brien - why me ?

ronnie milsap - thousand miles from nowhere

derrick harriott - i won't cry

la brenda ben - chaperone

bobby lester - am i the man

willie jones - where's my money

the barons - who's in the shack

hank ballard - do it zulu style

tammy james - that's fat jack

drifters - what to do

clyde mcphatter with the drifters - money honey

lou rawls - kiddio

miles stone - too many tears

Social source share

Just my opinion.

Sounds like you've got it all sewn up James...

But isn't that a bit like supporting a football team with loadsa money who can attract and buy the best players ,forsaking nurturing new talent.

Your not that long in the tooth on the scene yourself are you? ,so did you share this philosophy when you 1st stumbled on the so called "northern soul scene"

For me the Northern soul scene that existed back in the 60's and 70's was a happening place to be ,it represented young people with attitude and a yearning for something fresh and exciting.Now that scene is just a nostalgia trip.

Todays scene is represented by record collectors who have developed a more refined taste for the music ,so for me i wanna hear someone i havent heard before,who can surprise me with sounds im not familiar with.

Why does the dancefloor need to be bouncing from the start of the night ?? Dj's playing safe familair records ??

Warm up dj's do exactly that,warm people up for the long night ahead .I don't expect to dance all night so its good to start the night off listening to new sounds or slower tempo,after all a lot of punters love soul music but aren't all dancers.

Only my thought's ,and that's what it's all about eh :D

Incidently a good tune i reckon you could use for a opener is JOHNNY DEVIGNE :P

Social source share

But isn't that a bit like supporting a football team with loadsa money who can attract and buy the best players ,forsaking nurturing new talent.

Your not that long in the tooth on the scene yourself are you? ,so did you share this philosophy when you 1st stumbled on the so called "northern soul scene"

For me the Northern soul scene that existed back in the 60's and 70's was a happening place to be ,it represented young people with attitude and a yearning for something fresh and exciting.Now that scene is just a nostalgia trip.

Todays scene is represented by record collectors who have developed a more refined taste for the music ,so for me i wanna hear someone i havent heard before,who can surprise me with sounds im not familiar with.

Why does the dancefloor need to be bouncing from the start of the night ?? Dj's playing safe familair records ??

Warm up dj's do exactly that,warm people up for the long night ahead .I don't expect to dance all night so its good to start the night off listening to new sounds or slower tempo,after all a lot of punters love soul music but aren't all dancers.

Incidently a good tune i reckon you could use for a opener is JOHNNY DEVIGNE :D

Thats probably the way I would have seen it Nev, horses for courses though and I suppose it illustrates the diversity of the scene, James highlights the 100 Club and I can see where he is coming from cos I have had some of the best nights of my life there and I must admit the place does demand to be rocking from the off, but as you stated it is good to go somewhere and take in an alternative concept like listening and waiting to hear something you aint heard before, and that is basically a big part of why I go to venues, theres not a better buz than hearing something you don,t know that knocks you over when hearing for the 1st time, great example being the DDA at Lowton who encourage a "no pressure on the DJ" culture, don,t get me wrong, the dancefloor is important but I wish that I had a pound for everytime a record received great applause with not a sole on the dance floor at the DDA. Like you say a lot of collectors/punters go to places now to listen and debate and have the odd visit to the dancefloor while still religiously appreciating the music they are listening to, horses for courses though and theres room for us all, just keep loving the music. Heres a few more early plays

Tyrone Ashley-I want my baby back-Phil. la

The Capitols-I thought she loved me-Karen

Jimmy Lewis-What can I do now-Era

Four Sonics-Easier said than done-Sport

Classmen-Doin me right-Pearce

Albert Jones-Up to the sun-Bumpshop

Friday, Saturday, Sunday-There must be something-Dig

Good debate this, any other takes, post up your lists

Best to all

Kev

Social source share

Incidently a good tune i reckon you could use for a opener is JOHNNY DEVIGNE wink.gif

i agree Nev, wise words!

gary

Social source share

Have to say I tend to go with James, although you do have some valid points too Nev.

At the end of the day it is a dance scene. Not a sit on your arse scene. :D

I agree, not all soul music lovers are dancers. But where would a venue be without dancers?

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Have to say I tend to go with James, although you do have some valid points too Nev.

At the end of the day it is a dance scene. Not a sit on your arse scene. :D

I agree, not all soul music lovers are dancers. But where would a venue be without dancers?

I have been asked to play warm up at Soulin' Around in Bedford for Molly. the whole intention being to play classic floor fillers to get the party started. I for one cant wait and agree that its good to have something to get you in the swing from the off. I will be followed later in the night by Carl frotnum, Molly and Steve Guarnori so plenty of rare stuf to keep everyone busy then.

Social source share

I have been asked to play warm up at Soulin' Around in Bedford for Molly. the whole intention being to play classic floor fillers to get the party started. I for one cant wait and agree that its good to have something to get you in the swing from the off. I will be followed later in the night by Carl frotnum, Molly and Steve Guarnori so plenty of rare stuf to keep everyone busy then.

Start as you mean to go on that's my moto.

No pussy footing around from this chick I'm afraid, whatever the hour! :D

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Flairs-Where you live

Caesars-Girl I miss you

Jo Ann Garrett-One woman

To name but a few

Kev

Superb record.

Social source share

Following J T's way of thinking where does the new blood fit in to it? Wouldn't it mean established DJ's only and no one else getting a look-in? If your way of thinking had been the norm i doubt that you would have got a sniff of spinning tunes yourself.

Seems like a recipe for tedium in the long-term.

Derek

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Following J T's way of thinking where does the new blood fit in to it? Wouldn't it mean established DJ's only and no one else getting a look-in? If your way of thinking had been the norm i doubt that you would have got a sniff of spinning tunes yourself.

Seems like a recipe for tedium in the long-term.

Derek

If you're not up to the job, stick to being a dancer. If the club has good DJs why would you want to DJ instead?

Sorry Derek, I'm not quite sure what you're saying, can you clarify? Are you saying you want 2nd rate DJs to have a go because the DJs already DJing are 3rd rate ("tedium"), or are you arguing for second rate DJs to have a go to massage their egos and sacrifice the 1st rate DJs who are already doing a good job and driving the dance?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

If you're not up to the job, stick to being a dancer. If the club has good DJs why would you want to DJ instead?

Sorry Derek, I'm not quite sure what you're saying, can you clarify? Are you saying you want 2nd rate DJs to have a go because the DJs already DJing are 3rd rate ("tedium"), or are you arguing for second rate DJs to have a go to massage their egos and sacrifice the 1st rate DJs who are already doing a good job and driving the dance?

James One mans 3rd rate DJ is another's 1st rate DJ.

AT soul night, I turn up to the nights I attend at the very start to listen to any DJ that may be doing the first (warm-up) spot because they tend to play from the back of the DJ box, most of the time that holds the tunes I like to listen to!

From the venues I've attended this year there are not many places with more than a hand full of peps in at this time, it can be well into the second spot before it starts to get anything like seeing dance floor action, If we are going to get tried and trusted tunes played on the first spots at 7.30 with a 1.30am finish I for one would start turning up at 8.30 onwards with the rest.

Now for All-Nighters then yes the sooner the dance floor starts the better the night in general IMO

Steve J

Social source share

Did i at any point suggest i wanted to dj?

You seem to advocate a line-up of recognised big-name dj's only (and yourself no doubt) which i would find tedious to say the least all dj's have the capacity to bore that includes the biggest of names. Burnley seems to operate very well without relying on the top names every time.

My main concern is where do the new faces get their chance. I have been at many nighters and soul nights over the years where a less well known/new dj has blown the big names away. It used to happen at scottish nighters on a regular basis with some of the scottish dj/collectors leaving the big names in the shade.

Derek

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

You seem to advocate a line-up of recognised big-name dj's only (and yourself no doubt) which i would find tedious to say the least all dj's have the capacity to bore that includes the biggest of names. Burnley seems to operate very well without relying on the top names every time.

My main concern is where do the new faces get their chance. I have been at many nighters and soul nights over the years where a less well known/new dj has blown the big names away. It used to happen at scottish nighters on a regular basis with some of the scottish dj/collectors leaving the big names in the shade.

Derek

Whos' talking about "big names"? Many of the so called 'big names' are a pile of wank, ego maniacs more interested in standing up there with their name in lights and so scared of not having their egos rubbed their balls shrivel up and they forget what it was that put them in that position in the first place. Exciting, energetic, fresh sets.

In my humble onion.

Although I'm not sure who you refer to as 'big names', but I'm sure you know the kind of DJ I'm talking about.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Whos' talking about "big names"? Many of the so called 'big names' are a pile of wank, ego maniacs more interested in standing up there with their name in lights and so scared of not having their egos rubbed their balls shrivel up and they forget what it was that put them in that position in the first place. Exciting, energetic, fresh sets.

In my humble onion.

Although I'm not sure who you refer to as 'big names', but I'm sure you know the kind of DJ I'm talking about.

James surely these big names are up there for a reason ?

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James surely these big names are there for a reason ?

Maybe the crowds get what they deserve and it's the natural order of things? :D

It's down to the crowds as much as the DJs to show imagination. If the crowd doesn't have imagination the only thing keeping the DJ up there feeding the beast with repeats and regurgitated taste is the DJs ego.

Some crowds are better than others and the cream rises to the top? Some crowds are a bit toilet, and the crap rises to the top?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

James surely these big names are up there for a reason ?

For possibly the only time I actually (to some extent) agree with James :D . IMO there are a fair few 'big name' DJs who quite frankly are living off their past reputations and bore the living crap out of me when I'm out at venues.....but they get booked time and time again simply because of who they are and not what they play. Other side of the coin of course is that a lot of the 'big names' thoroughly deserve that status.

Adam.

Social source share

Just my opinion.

Dont know what a classic oldie is? One mans classic is another mans repetitive strain syndrom. :D Also depends on the crowd. If you started off with classic oldies at DDA you would be in trouble, as people are in there because they are sick of hearing battered classics. Kev Canes warm up tunes however would do the business. So, I think, look at the venue and then decide. The Chelmsford crowd seemed to be up for it and liked a bit of funk...so give them it! smile.gif

Social source share

For possibly the only time I actually (to some extent) agree with James :D . IMO there are a fair few 'big name' DJs who quite frankly are living off their past reputations and bore the living crap out of me when I'm out at venues.....but they get booked time and time again simply because of who they are and not what they play. Other side of the coin of course is that a lot of the 'big names' thoroughly deserve that status.

Adam.

Good Summary. Retire the old guard who have lost the enthusiasm and simply go through the motions. You see it at loads of venues. The dj playing tunes with no emotion, rhythm or energy in their own body and mind! Totally uninspiring.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Dont know what a classic oldie is? One mans classic is another mans repetitive strain syndrom. :D Also depends on the crowd. If you started off with classic oldies at DDA you would be in trouble, as people are in there because they are sick of hearing battered classics. Kev Canes warm up tunes however would do the business. So, I think, look at the venue and then decide. The Chelmsford crowd seemed to be up for it and liked a bit of funk...so give them it! smile.gif

"Classic oldies" is probably not the right phrase in general discussion as it can confuse those with the northern soul oldies/newies line of thought, but is relevant to the type of set Mick Smith plays within that example I used. But generally speaking, broadly, "classic sounds" that build tension and anticipation of the night to come is a better description. Of course, classics can be unique to certain venues, crowds, scenes and DJs.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

"Classic oldies" is probably not the right phrase in general discussion as it can confuse those with the northern soul oldies/newies line of thought, but is relevant to the type of set Mick Smith plays within that example I used. But generally speaking, broadly, "classic sounds" that build tension and anticipation of the night to come is a better description. Of course, classics can be unique to certain venues, crowds, scenes and DJs.

tis a better description! :D

Social source share

Have NEVER planned a set. Always depends on venue and whats gone on before. Even at Lowton, the crowd changes month to month and the energy of the night can really vary. People sometimes want uptempo from the off and sometimes beautiful, moving soulful mid-tempo. Thats why djs MUST be there for the whole night..right from the off! And above all they must not come with a plan :D just a soul. smile.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I've not anything more to add to this debate, especially as you and Nev seem like you want to turn it into a personal debate (dig?), rather than general theory on warming up a dance.

Personal debate(dig) :)

Just because people don't agree with your opinion does'nt make it a personal debate!

I think I read your comments out of context, and I was in a grumpy mood this afternoon. Gotcha now, sorry about that :thumbup:

It was the 'you're not long on the scene' line which I read over quickly and bit on. It is, I think, one of the biggest problems the northern scene needs to get over if it's to survive and remain special and not just turn into a retro shackled to the past driven by memories secret society for retired folk and the recently divorced nowhere else to go because the other half has got the kids this weekend keep the faith crowd. In my humble opinion...

Gutted I can't make it to the 100 this weekend, 'young' Brett's DJing, would love to see what he pulls out of the bag for it...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

makes me smile when i read these opionated posts about whats wrong with the scene, if you don't like it go away, the 'scene'' has been going along quite nicely thanks, if you want a new scene then start one, don't come on to something and then have the nerve to want to change it, if it dies so what ? we have had our enjoyment out of it over the years in ways you newbys will never understand, we have not asked you to be involved but if you do then respect the people who made it, as to djs then acording to jts post we would still be listening to the original djs from the 60s, also i hate al the inuendos, name names if you are that bothered, you name people when you wish to praise them but not when you are having a go. justmy opinion of course.

pete.

Social source share

Don't be daft.

Different opinion has nothing to do with ought personal.

The 'you're not long on the scene' line is one of the biggest problems the northern scene needs to get over if it's to survive and remain special and not just turn into a retro shackled to the past driven by memories secret society for retired folk and the recently divorced nowhere else to go because the other half has got the kids this weekend keep the faith crowd. In my humble opinion...

Gutted I can't make it to the 100 this weekend, Brett's DJing, would love to see what he pulls out of the bag for it...

Taken out of context i can see how this can be mis-construed James

But what i meant by my original use of those words were as a reference to your words, "up and coming dj's,collectors".

Surely you yourself fitted this exact criteria not that long ago ,so how can you now advocate it ???

You could'nt be further from the truth if you think i'm one of the old guard ,who believe the "northern soul scene" belongs to the old guard and they alone control it.

I got into it at the tender age of 14 but left at about 19 and didnt get into it again until the yr 2000 so i've missed the best yrs on the scene,going by what i've read,heard.

I respect everyone ,who loves the scene ,regardless of age.

Social source share

In my experiance as a promoter over the years, a Record Collector does not make a good Dj, i have had guy's play for me in the past who have fantastic record collections and who are very knowledgeable but they could'nt string 2 choon's together, and in the past i have had to step up on the stage and take over for 30min's to get the place going etc.

It's no good playing tunes nobody knows at the start of a night a good dj will mix them in within there spot etc :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well this is going well, - debate wise :(

So - do you keep the floor going 'early doors' and show everyone that dancing is expected

And / or

Do you 'break' new sounds and keep the listeners with urges for new tunes going?

For me its the latter

- the 100 Club - was and is THE place to hear stuff I've never heard before

- No 'sheep' mentality - no playing of stuff thats current - each to their own

- would arrive home with memories of 'what the hell was that tune' and 'when is the next nighter'

- same with GO GO Children night in Bristol (this isn't my soul night, it is in my home town though)

- they play sounds for a tenner, B sides, rare UK Northern obscurities - all played with TRUE PASSION

Any warm up set should challenge, make you feel comfortable AND make you rush to

the decks to find out what the hell was being played.

I remember at a Saracens Cheltenham Soul night about 3 / 4 years ago and Meg

played an entire set off LP - and what a superb set of stuff she played too.

At one of our nights recently I played The Sweet Three on Decca - nheard it on a tape about 8 years ago followed by Bonnie Herman

and one of my mates who I respect, and whom knows a lot about Soul

and plays great stuff when he DJ's rushed up to ask what this was.

Surely - for us hungry folks with a desire to hear stuff that blows your head off, THAT'S what its about. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well this is going well, - debate wise :P

So - do you keep the floor going 'early doors' and show everyone that dancing is expected

And / or

Do you 'break' new sounds and keep the listeners with urges for new tunes going?

For me its the latter

- the 100 Club - was and is THE place to hear stuff I've never heard before

- No 'sheep' mentality - no playing of stuff thats current - each to their own

- would arrive home with memories of 'what the hell was that tune' and 'when is the next nighter'

- same with GO GO Children night in Bristol (this isn't my soul night, it is in my home town though)

- they play sounds for a tenner, B sides, rare UK Northern obscurities - all played with TRUE PASSION

Any warm up set should challenge, make you feel comfortable AND make you rush to

the decks to find out what the hell was being played.

I remember at a Saracens Cheltenham Soul night about 3 / 4 years ago and Meg

played an entire set off LP - and what a superb set of stuff she played too.

At one of our nights recently I played The Sweet Three on Decca - nheard it on a tape about 8 years ago followed by Bonnie Herman

and one of my mates who I respect, and whom knows a lot about Soul

and plays great stuff when he DJ's rushed up to ask what this was.

Surely - for us hungry folks with a desire to hear stuff that blows your head off, THAT'S what its about. :lol:

Well done Ian for a fitting ending to your own thread.

my sentiments totally :thumbsup:

I suppose what it comes down to and the buck stops firmly with ..

A GOOD PROMOTOR KNOWS HIS CROWD AND BOOKS THE DJ'S ACCORDINGLY ,

SUFFICE TO SAY YOU DON'T BOOK RARE SOUL DJ'S TO PLAY A HANDBAGGER NIGHT AND VICE VERSA.

HOW EASY IS THAT :(

Social source share

Don't be daft.

Different opinion has nothing to do with ought personal.

The 'you're not long on the scene' line is one of the biggest problems the northern scene needs to get over if it's to survive and remain special and not just turn into a retro shackled to the past driven by memories secret society for retired folk and the recently divorced nowhere else to go because the other half has got the kids this weekend keep the faith crowd. In my humble opinion...

Gutted I can't make it to the 100 this weekend, Brett's DJing, would love to see what he pulls out of the bag for it...

Scared I've heard coz Bicknell's about Saturday lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Taken out of context i can see how this can be mis-construed James

But what i meant by my original use of those words were as a reference to your words, "up and coming dj's,collectors".

Surely you yourself fitted this exact criteria not that long ago ,so how can you now advocate it ???

You could'nt be further from the truth if you think i'm one of the old guard ,who believe the "northern soul scene" belongs to the old guard and they alone control it.

I got into it at the tender age of 14 but left at about 19 and didnt get into it again until the yr 2000 so i've missed the best yrs on the scene,going by what i've read,heard.

I respect everyone ,who loves the scene ,regardless of age.

Okay dockey, reading back I certainly took it out of context. Got ya now, guv, my fault as I was a bit grumpy this afternoon and in an argumentative mood, I apologise...

Fair points, well met sir.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Scared I've heard coz Bicknell's about Saturday lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Sorry Mark, I can't make it. Nothing I can do :thumbsup: You have fun...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert