Jamaican Soul Labels

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Any idea what local reggae labels Federal released stuff on, it's not a local record company that I recall much about (apart from seeing their details on some locally made soul 45 label's).

Federal was a custom pressing plant, if you look in the run off of any Jamaican record you get a wealth of information, for instance the prefix FDR means it's a Duke Reid production pressed by Federal, FRE Federal Rupie Edwards, and so on and so on. Countless releases on countless labels. Ditto Wirl and Dynamic.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Federal was a custom pressing plant, if you look in the run off of any Jamaican record you get a wealth of information, for instance the prefix FDR means it's a Duke Reid production pressed by Federal, FRE Federal Rupie Edwards, and so on and so on. Countless releases on countless labels. Ditto Wirl and Dynamic.

By golly, how right you must be sir.

Just checked 2 Ja Tamla Motown 45's that came to hand, coz one doesn't credit any local licensee (the other credits Dynamic Sound).

The 1st (uncredited) one has DSR-8065 scratched into the run-out groove, the 2nd has DSR-9985.

Neither number bears any relationship at all to the release numbers on the actual 45 labels, so they must be Dynamic Sound Recs numbers.

Can't tell which pressing plant they came from (unless a DSR number means Dynamic manufactured them in-house).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL ESPECIALLY TOU GIRLS. This thread has become to personal, in a nice way, :g: so loosen up, having been on the Jamaican scene since I was 15, & was there at the dawn of REGGAE, I love hearing other people's knowledge about the facts, as you all have knowledge about what you think REGGAE is because you have purchased loads of records, is as stupid as a white man talking like a black man? (Rodigan)? is every thing I detest, as Pete is aware, I have strong views about the term SKINHEAD REGGAE, :thumbsup:

:shhh: SO TO HELP YOU ALL OUT, AND BRING YOU CLOSER TO-GETHER, & IN-KEEPING WITH JAMAICAN SOUND SYSTOU TADDITION, I AM WILLING TO CHALANGE ANY OR ALL OF YOU TO A PROPER CLASH, AND TO MAKE IT FAIR YOU CAN PLAY SKA, ROCK STEADY, REGGAE, JUMP UP, DUB. SKANK, ROOTS, LOVERS, TENG, RUB A DUB, MENTO, R&B, SOUL, ANYTHING, ALSO AS A OWNER OF A LINKS SOUND SYSTOM MADE BY THE LATE KEITH AKA LINKSY OF BRUM (SAXON) YOU CAN USE IT OR BRING YOUR OWN +3 CREW MEMBERS, :)

:dash2: SO LET'S GET IT ON, ANY TAKERS :boxing: KNCKOUT CHALLANGE :hypocrite: DAVE

Social source share

this will only work if it's an online youtube clip sound-clash :D

:hatsoff2: HI KRIS.....I LIKE IT...I LIKE IT SOUNDS GOOD TO ME, Not what I intended at all, but a good idea!, although my offer stands, your idea could be achieved much more quicker & has no real cost, :ohmy: since the threads relating to the JA music scene stopped on soul source, and the fact that I found each thread of interest, thanks to Pete Smith's original concept of them, and the success of the SOULSOURCE RECORD CLUB RECORD OF THE DAY, Plus the contributors of topics relating to the SOUL of JAMAICA, this could just work :thumbsup:

however in the here & now and being realistic, although I have the equipment. I still can't get my head around the subject of uploading records from my personal collection, as this is fundamental for me, even more so in a challenge as any one can play music they have not got, that would be like taking tunes from a CD, Personal vinyl only,

:rofl: It's a start. DAVE

Social source share

Cheatin a bit here as I believe this 45 was actually pressed up by the Bajans ....

There is no indication of that fact on the actual 45 but I bought this (& a couple more copies of this record) at Cave Shepherd's in Bridgetown (up on the top floor -- a great place to find a few bargains back 20 or so years ago). The store was updated in the early 90's & concessions fetched in to fill some of the shop's vast floor space. CD's had come in & vinyl was no longer selling too well, so the record department was one of the 1st things to go (big shame that).

Anyway, another reason I say that this 45 originated in Barbados is coz I also have a LP that has an identical label. The LP (a compilation album) is titled 'Hi Sounds Rare Collection Volume.2' and this does feature the text 'Made In Barbados'.

Its a great LP but I have mixed emotions about having it as I don't have it's cover (though I could have done with more foresight).

Anyone here got a similar Bajan Hi label 45 from around 1981 that does credit it's island of origin ??

post-22122-0-32673500-1343630541_thumb.j

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL...Just remembered this....about 10 years ago,?? my GOD! it's actually 16 years, I went to BRUM, to meet up with Jim Sills, ASHA.G "the ROCK STEADY DADDY" from HACKNEY, & DAVE BARKER (SHOCKS ALLMIGHTY) The purpose of the meet was to make arrangements with UB40 in their local pub in DIGBETH,

After that we went to see LINKSY at his base, Keith as I have stated built my sound system, he also built ASHER G's SS, which has a much more power output than mine, while at KEITHS LAS Base, we were joined by Andrew from Notts owner of TRADITION,

While I was rooting through Andrews van which had 5000 Jamaican 45's in the back, when I found a box of SOUL 45's all on JA labels, many familiar US labels. this is where I found the Beg Jay McNeely on UK SUE, UK stamper but JA pressed with the Black & red Label instead of Yellow & Black, I was told that it was a FEDDY SPECIAL, it seems to me that there must be some kind of semi legit thing about what gets pressed up, so nothing would surprise me, Any thing could turn up :thumbsup: DAVE

Social source share

Cheating again as I've jumped back to Barbados again ...

but it is an interesting 45; from Canadian based Bajan Aubrey Mann ...

Cut up in Canada but (I believe) only available on this Bajan issue ...

I was lucky enough to find 8 or so copies of this over a few visits to the island.

(BTW, that's not a label fault, just the sun shining on parts of the 45's label)

post-22122-0-59469800-1344105426_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 1 month later...

This looks nice, Nina Simone - My baby just cares for me - on Jamaican King label

https://www.ebay.co.u...b#ht_877wt_1180

You're right Pete - looks lovely. Funny thing is I recall also seeing a copy on Jamaican Bethlehem (the original US label) in the early '80s, with "He Needs Me" on the flip (the real B-side, but obviously different to this). Interesting to know of both the Jamaican King and Bethlehem issues though!

Social source share

I did hear a rumour once that Jackie Day actually came out on Jamaican Modern. It's not infeasible - Coxsone Dodd was the licensor for Modern around that time, and I do have a copy of Arthur & Mary's "Let's Get Together" on a genuine Ja. Modern, which is only a few numbers away from "Before It's Too Late" and which I'l try to find and post up as I continue with this thread - but until I see visual evidence to the contrary, I'll file it under 'Urban Myth' I think.

The only Jamaican Parlophone 45 I have is the Beatles' "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"... :lol:

...but I do have quite a few Ja. Statesides somewhere, including the Equals' "Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys", Four Tops' "Ain't No Woman Like The One I Got" and James Carr's "These Ain't Raindrops". Again, as and when I find 'em, I'll stick scans up here...

I have a Solomon Burke "This beautiful day" on Parlophone 45

Social source share

And let's not forget those rare as hens teeth Jamaican Salsoul pressings.....

Chao & The Salsoul Orchestra "Dance A Little Bit Closer"

th_JamaicanSalsoulScans.jpg

Double Exposure "Ten Percent"

th_JamaicanSalsoulScans001.jpg

Silvetti "Spring Rain"

th_JamaicanSalsoulScans002.jpg

Ian D :D

:hatsoff2: HI ALL..IAN How apt that this label got releases in JA, it's a homage to the country who gave us the origanal DJ VERSION RAPP & RYAM,

The great SUGAR HILL SOUNDS of HIP HOP owe a lot to the TOASTER & BOASTERS that we have followed from our youth, great scansm DAVE

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!