Joe Bataan Hits The Uk In Mid June

I just got an e-mail from Joe Bataan saying he's coming to the U.K. in mid June to appear at the Red Bull Music Academy and do a couple of London gigs @ Cargo on the 10th and 11th June and he's asked me to ask around and see if anyone's interested in doing some more shows around that time.

Very surreal.

I tried to get Joe over here when I put out the Joe Bataan Salsoul anthology a few years back but it didn't happen unfortunately. However, he loved the anthology and we kept in touch.

I was wondering whether he could maybe do a Latino Soul type set for the Northern crowd? Anyone who's interested should drop me a PM and I'll bounce any enquiries over to Joe. It will almost certainly be the only time he'll play the UK and I think it would be a gas if he could do some of the more uptempo 60's Northern Latino tunes which he probably hasn't performed for a while.

So any of you Latino-Soul lovers out there should get yer thinking hats on! Appearances, gigs, P.A.'s whatever - I'd love to see Joe get a warm welcome in the U.K. as he's one of the true greats and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Also, what would be a good set for him to do? His repertoire runs from 60's Latino Soul through 70's Soul and even to 80's Latino Rap LOL. Plus the instrumental of "The Bottle (La Botella)" of course. Could this be up anyone's street? Give me a yell......

https://www.joebataan.net/

Should be a BRILLIANT Summer!

Don't forget that set list!

Ian D :)

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I just got an e-mail from Joe Bataan saying he's coming to the U.K. in mid June to appear at the Red Bull Music Academy and do a couple of London gigs @ Cargo on the 10th and 11th June and he's asked me to ask around and see if anyone's interested in doing some more shows around that time.

Very surreal.

I tried to get Joe over here when I put out the Joe Bataan Salsoul anthology a few years back but it didn't happen unfortunately. However, he loved the anthology and we kept in touch.

I was wondering whether he could maybe do a Latino Soul type set for the Northern crowd? Anyone who's interested should drop me a PM and I'll bounce any enquiries over to Joe. It will almost certainly be the only time he'll play the UK and I think it would be a gas if he could do some of the more uptempo 60's Northern Latino tunes which he probably hasn't performed for a while.

So any of you Latino-Soul lovers out there should get yer thinking hats on! Appearances, gigs, P.A.'s whatever - I'd love to see Joe get a warm welcome in the U.K. as he's one of the true greats and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Also, what would be a good set for him to do? His repertoire runs from 60's Latino Soul through 70's Soul and even to 80's Latino Rap LOL. Plus the instrumental of "The Bottle (La Botella)" of course. Could this be up anyone's street? Give me a yell......

Ian D :D

Wow I would be up for this!

June11-that's the same week as Cleggy...Ady?????? :):)

Requests....So Fine, ordinary guy, Gypsy Woman....ah loads of em :D

Social source share

Wow I would be up for this!

June11-that's the same week as Cleggy...Ady?????? :D:D

Requests....So Fine, ordinary guy, Gypsy Woman....ah loads of em :D

That's along the lines of what I was thinking Reg. Plus I sold a Joe Bataan record to Ady not so long back so he's a fan for sure. :D

Joe Bataan doing a Latino-Soul LIVE set for the first-time ever in the UK at Cleggy in the middle of Summer? :)

Nah? Too good to be possible...........? :)

Are ya there Ady?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

How fantastic! Can't wait!!!!!!

Gotta make sure he does "Latin Soul Square Dance" in that set of his. "Under The Streetlamp", too. Other than that I'm betting he'll be doing everything I really want to hear, anyway....

The Little Anthony disappointment atoned for in a heartbeat! :):):D

Social source share

That's along the lines of what I was thinking Reg. Plus I sold a Joe Bataan record to Ady not so long back so he's a fan for sure. :D

Joe Bataan doing a Latino-Soul LIVE set for the first-time ever in the UK at Cleggy in the middle of Summer? :)

Nah? Too good to be possible...........? :)

Are ya there Ady?

That would be great....and I just got my caravan booked a stagger away from the pool... :D

Does anybody know who the acts are yet for Cleethorpes btw?

Social source share

How fantastic! Can't wait!!!!!!

Gotta make sure he does "Latin Soul Square Dance" in that set of his. "Under The Streetlamp", too. Other than that I'm betting he'll be doing everything I really want to hear, anyway....

The Little Anthony disappointment atoned for in a heartbeat! :):D:D

Yep, could be fun Tony. He still performs regularly in New York so he'll be a total pro I reckon.......... :)

Social source share

Very surreal.

Get in!!! :g:

Social source share

Any more news on this Ian?

Not yet Reg. I haven't had anyone come back to me as yet plus Joe does have a couple of people sorting gigs for him it seems. He has an idiosyncratic e-mail style which goes something like this:-

"Dear Ian----Will be coming to London on June 10th and 11th 2009 for performance with Red Bull Academy-----------the rumors are flying around finally. Looking at Leeds and Glastonbury also .--Any help from you would be appreciated with added venues in the U.K. area.-----------------------cheers God Bless-joe bataan"

And....

" Dear Ian---So far June 10th and June 11t are booked in London at the Cargo in London with Red BULL-----OTHER OFFERS HAVE TO BECOORDINATED soon with promoters-----------------Will use band in U.k.------------I traveled with two musicians the others are picked up in U.K.-----------------------------------WORKING ON lEEDS AND glastonbury with Jonny from XGROUP AND LUBIVOC-----------------------CHEERS GOD BLESS-----------JOE BATAAN"

So any promoters out there who have stuff on in June should drop me a PM and I'll put 'em directly in touch with Joe......

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Very surreal.

Ian D :P

How good's that :D

Would be absolutely magic to see this fella. Personal faves so fine, too much lovin'

Magic!!!

ATB

Phil

Social source share

This singer is new to me.

When I checked Refosoul I inadverently typed Joe Battan instead of Joe Bataan and it came up with a tune called Crystal Blue Persuasion which I quite liked.

I realised what I had done and corrected the spelling and found most of the above mentioned tunes......Too Much Lovin' being the one I liked most.

Are the two singers the same person? I've listend to Crystal Blue again and it sounds like the same singer to my uneducated ears!!! :D

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

wow Ian, do It! Gypsy Woman, Special Girl, So Fine, Magic Rose, What Good Is A Castle, Under The Streetlamp, Subway Joe, Riot, I could go on!! Plus Latin Strut off mericana, superb!! Stick me down for tickets!!

Rich

Rich has pretty much put up my list too! :D

Social source share

Aarrgghhhh......unbefookinlievable....I'm in the bloody States when he's appearing over here :D

How long is he over here for.....cus I seriously may well consider looking at the option of putting him on somewhere up this way the following weekend or so if the costs are feasible :D:D

Social source share

Aarrgghhhh......unbefookinlievable....I'm in the bloody States when he's appearing over here :g:

How long is he over here for.....cus I seriously may well consider looking at the option of putting him on somewhere up this way the following weekend or so if the costs are feasible :D:D

Got ya PM Mace. I'll e-mail Joe and see how long he's likely to stick around. It'll probably be down to whatever gigs come in which I guess he won't know for another week or two yet. I'll e-mail him later in the week and see what's come up in the last few days........

Social source share

OK, a bit more info perculating through now. Joe will be flying in on the 9th June, rehearsing on the 10th, doing two Red Bull Music Academy private engagements in London on the 11th and 12th June and is finalising two potential gigs in Leeds on the 13th June and Birmingham on the 14th June.

He is looking for more gigs from the 15th June onwards and will hopefully be staying in the UK for a further 2 weeks from that date. He is absolutely up for anything including meet and greet sessions, lectures and preferably more gigs. Please note that the two Red Bull dates in London will be invite-only and so if anyone wants to put on some public gigs then now is the time! 100 Club anyone?

The person to speak to regarding anything is Karen @ Red Bull who is looking after Joe during his stay. So anyone interested in setting up something should e-mail to: Karen@Redbullmusicacademy.com or telephone her on: 020-7253-6449.

So come on you Latino Soul fans. Let's get Joe doing a couple of 60's Latino Soul gigs!

Best,

Ian D :)

Social source share

• 2 months later...

I just posted about this elsewhere, then found this thread, so sorry for the double post! Click the flyer below for tickets and info!

1386.jpg

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Had my tickets for weeks now, going straight there from the Mojo Awards on the same night...

...Can't hardly wait!!!!!!

Social source share

Have a blinder Tony! :lol:

Any others heading down? Seeing Salsoul legend Joe Bataan in the UK is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

Social source share

Tickets booked and ready to go. Don't care what he sings as I love the Latin Boogaloo, the Salsa and Mambo tunes and even his forage into Latin Funk. It's all gooooooood.

Who's going on this Thursday night?

Cheers Warren

Boll*x......the dates clash with Cleethorpes............ :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert