How Did It Get There?

Gasher

Apart from the UK..when finding records in the USA . How do they get to where they are found????

How can one copy of a Shrine which was a DC release, end up in a box in LA thrift store??

just curious as to how far you have found stuff from where it was made . More so for small labels

not the BIG NATIONAL ones. Any interesting stories/theories welcome

gasher

Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Apart from the UK..when finding records in the USA . How do they get to where they are found????

How can one copy of a Shrine which was a DC release, end up in a box in LA thrift store??

just curious as to how far you have found stuff from where it was made . More so for small labels

gasher

Not as major find, but I bought a Gene McDaniels Walk With A Winner LP in Woolies in Hawaii in the 70s!!

P smile.gif Then had to lug it back!

Social source share

gasher

I found Lester Tipton in Portland, OR. Found three Maurci label 45s (including a gold "If You Love Me") in Eugene, OR. Gambrells "You Gotta Move" in Seattle. Tina Roberts "One Way Or Another" in Portland. Gwen Owens on Encore somewhere around here.

Texas funk records by Tickled Pink and Six Degrees South in Seattle.

I found a very rare and sought after garage 45 by the Cavemen from Key West, FL in Oregon - I don't think a 45 can travel farther in the continental US!

- George

Social source share

About 20 years ago I found 20 copies of Billy Hambric at a car boot sale in Oxfordshire. The guy had a box of about 50 records, everything else was beat up pop, Abba etc and these. When I asked where they came from, he just said 'do you want them or not, 50p each'

Jeeees....and you told me you got them from Detroit Dave laugh.gif:D:D

Social source share

gasher

:) My close mate Jim Silles in London a few years ago now, won a Ray Barreto single on a Peruvian label, it came from a very small town/village in Peru and only took 7 days to reach him, however in these days we are so used to having records in mailers and I have a couple of times received records wrapped in the middle of 2 pieces of wood,his record came in a very thin envelope with Peruvian stamps covering it no protection packaging. the envelope looked like something picasso would have done and we had the vision of a man wearing a bowler hat and Pancho riding on a donkey over the mountains to the city? and how it survived the airmail service is any ones guess and then the Royal Mail sorting office and I forgot to mention it was pressed on styrene? this is true story :D and as I am a quick payer on auction sites I have had to wait over 1 month to receive a record from a UK dealer who requests you leave positive feedback for me I will do the Same for you which pisses me of every time, I always think of Jim and his Peruvian record. :) DAVE KIL
Social source share

Flew from here in NYC over to Paris, was digging in the Clignacourt flea market and found a 1968 mailer from NYC - actually less than a mile from where I live - sent 40 years earlier with an unplayed copy of Chalklit Milk Revue - Forever Bliss on Mr G and a letter from the record co promoting the 45.

Not as weird to me as finding an Argentine cover version of Francine Carr's "Papa's New Bag ain't nothing but a hag" on Youngstown in an old store in Buenos Aires

Social source share

Guest familytree

Is there truth in the old tale about records being usedas shipping ballast? That could explain some remote locations. Does any road transport need ballast? :lol: Well I don't bloody know, just idle speculation.

whats a ballast?... excuse my ignorance x

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Ballast is what ships use so they can float low in the water when they have no cargo to keep them stable, once they pick up cargo at a port they usually jettison the ballast. Usually the ballast is water sucked into tanks on the ship then blown out later, which accounts for sea life ending up on the other side of the world (it gets sucked in at one port and pushed out somewhere else). I've also heard this story about records used as ballast, i expect once the ship had picked up cargo the junk (45s) would be dumped at the pick up port (could be anywhere).

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Material used as weight for stability. I seem to remember a rumour many years ago that the 'bb' non-return hole on many imports was from a rack storage system where bulk 'junk' buy records had been used as ballast for cargo ships without cargo. Don't believe that to be true but could imagine any old cargo being used for stability. Only a thought not a theory.

Sorry didn't see other post above, writing about same time

Edited by Dean
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

So there might be a few Frank Wilson 45´s being used as table leg stabilisers in Namibia :ohmy:

Best use for it... :rolleyes:

(prepares for Frank Wilson lovers attack)

Social source share

Material used as weight for stability. I seem to remember a rumour many years ago that the 'bb' non-return hole on many imports was from a rack storage system where bulk 'junk' buy records had been used as ballast for cargo ships without cargo. Don't believe that to be true but could imagine any old cargo being used for stability. Only a thought not a theory.

Sorry didn't see other post above, writing about same time

:rolleyes:This is true thats how we got our first imports the Arther Dailys bought them realy cheap hopeing they were pop records and make a mint however we no that they could not get rid of them and it was places like Moors in Luton & Leiton Buzzard, Selecta Disc and so on got hold of

them the maine Port was Liverpool and South Wales hence the big change in record policy in clubs like the Wheel and the Night Owl in Liecester :ohmy: DAVE KIL

Social source share

Guest newone

Is there truth in the old tale about records being usedas shipping ballast? That could explain some remote locations. Does any road transport need ballast? :rolleyes: Well I don't bloody know, just idle speculation.

def used in ships ballast, my brother was in merchant navy in 60s 70 s going to san francisco, he used to load ship up with records if not enough cargo was coming back, maybe why so many imports found around big post cities of the uk

Social source share

was digging in the Clignacourt flea market

I was in Paris one Valentine's weekend back in the tail-end of the 90's, and ended up wandering arond Clignancourt market for an hour or so...loads of record stalls!

I actually walked past a few vendors before eventually stopping at one interesting box saying, 'Black/Cha-Cha/Twist' on it. Don't know why I went for that, but I did! It was mainly French presses of dodgy loungcore or disco tracks, but mid-way through I came accross a US copy of Benny Troy (IWGYT) for 10 francs (£1). I actually smiled and put it back down in a generous moment of giving someone else a thrill one day!

I was actually thinking I may get lucky and come across a Hesitations or Ray Pollard EP, when blow me down up pops a Seven Souls resplendant in the art cover! My immediate thought was that it would be the wrong record inside, but no, there it was on French Epic and in good condition...and only 30 francs (£3 at the time). I controlled all eternal tell-tale signs of excitement, went throught the box one more time and bought the SS and BT. The stall-holder tried to short change me, which I wasn't actually that bothered about, but I did point out the error and got my correct change! I didn't bother looking through any other boxes or stalls...I'm not a greedy man!

Anyhow, back to present times, I regularly come across UK presses here in Tokyo, and occasionaly the odd French, Dutch, Spanish and Italian piece too. Yesterday I found this rather nice Carl Carlton on Action (what's it worth nowadays?).

:rolleyes:

post-9555-1237608910_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I got a copy of a Wheelsville 45 from Uganda! :shades::lol::lol:

(it was posted from Michigan to the UK but the writing was dodgy and it probably looked like UG so ended up in Uganda!)

Got here in the end (yes, I know it doesn't really count) :lol:

Cheers

Richard

So the motto being, if your record is lost in the post, go to Uganda for a gander for it (errr sorry!!)

P :lol:

Social source share

Guest southpaw

ive posted this one before, but my mate won a copy of "do the pearl girl" from the us via ebay. quite suprised when it Arrived that it was one of the late 70,s boots done in nottingham

Didn't know there were any boots done in Nottingham :ohmy:

Social source share

I found a copy of the West Ham United Cup Squad of 75 singing "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" in a record shop in San Francisco. Promo too!

I wondered how on earth it had found its way there, it wasn't until I posted a scan of it up here that someone pointed out it was a US Promo :thumbsup:

Now who in their right mind would decide that it would be enough of a possibility in the states to press up a promo?

And yes, it is my rarest record before anyone asks :(

Social source share

Guest Demotron

The Ethics: I Want My Baby Back (Vent) Philly soul record in the middle Clignancourt (this seems to be the place to be) fleamarket, Paris, France

The Teques: Don't push My Love Cup (Gary) Chicago record from second hand junk shop in Helsinki, Finland

Rhumba from Uganda from a record shop in Turku, Finland

78rpm record from India from fleamarket in Helsinki, Finland

Steve Parks: Moving In The Right Direction LP Bay Area soul in the back of a random box in Helsinki, Finland

Social source share

i found this among a bunch of turkish records at a used-book/record shop in ISTANBUL, TURKEY, a couple years ago. it's a country record, a promo 45 for a local meat purveyor in kentucky. TOP THAT! i can come up with no explanation.

6i5qqb.jpg

I'd be more interested in an explanation as to why you actually bought, and subsequently kept it? :D

Social source share

Living in New Zealand I have been consistently amazed with the amount of US press non-major label soul & funk I have come across. Unfortunately for this thread though, after inquiring around I am 100% certain as to how rare US 45s made their way down here in the 60s & 70s. Also, the ship ballast story is 100% true, records were used & often onsold from the point of unload.

Social source share

The Lovers on Frantic, George Jackson-Talking About The Love I Have For You-ER Music Enterprises in Sydney, Charles Johnson-Never Had A Love So Good-Alston in Johannesburg, Breakwater LP on Arista in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Freddie Terrell on Capitol in Canberra plus 100's more US records when the Australian Sound Archive sold off all there non Australian records for A$1 each over one weekend, Clifton Dyson LP in Basel, Switzerland, Sam Dees-Fragile Handle With Care on JA Atlantic in Zurich are just a few I've wondered about how they got there, Cheers, Ady

Social source share

gasher

Remember seeing some Motorcity stuff in a bargain bin in Port Stanley - can't remember if it was the West Store or the card/gift shop around the corner; and I also remember Kent's 'So Soulful 70's' being played behind the bar, in Club Bongo Bongo in Bukavo, DR Congo. Didn't stay around too long to ask if it was vinyl or CD though :thumbsup:

Social source share

The Ethics: I Want My Baby Back (Vent) Philly soul record in the middle Clignancourt (this seems to be the place to be) fleamarket, Paris, France

Hello, I'm from Paris and I can now say that you won't find this kind of records in Clignancourt (as dave did) :lol: only if you're really really lucky, as it radicaly changed!...there's only hip hop clothes shops, or antique dealers in Clignancourt now.

I used to find great stuff in this market in the end of 80's & 90's (US 45's, acetates, EP's) but now it's finish...it's better to try the secondhand fleamarkets around Paris (or record fairs) :lol:

Romain

Social source share

topical subject...I found this last sunday in a small market in country (50 km from Paris)...Milton Grayson - It ain't necessarily so (Keen), Maxine Brown - Oh no not my baby Vogue EP (inc. Am I falling in love) more evident this is a french pressing, Techniques - Travelling man/My girl (orig. Treasure Isle) & an Lp "A moment with the Moments" on Stang... from L.A...Jamaica...to french country! g.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert