The Third Degree - Mercy

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Has anyone brought or listend to the Third Degree doing Mercy. I got a copy other week which is on Acid Jazz label and was thinking this is good and is better then Duffy's version so what does anyone else think

i would have posted a sound clip had i got the song on computer

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Has anyone brought or listend to the Third Degree doing Mercy. I got a copy other week which is on Acid Jazz label and was thinking this is good and is better then Duffy's version so what does anyone else think

Someone one posted a youtube job up a couple weeks back,i think in freebassin' it is good i think. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest southpaw

Heard this played out the other week (I like the version) but this night it cleared the floor

Edited by southpaw
Social source share

Had a listen when first released a couple of weeks back and wasn't impressed, can't think why anyone would want to record a cover of the song so soon after daffy ducks version, just another new release sounding old (yawn) and why anyone would want to play it out ? Modern Soul for the Northern folk, I'll get me coat huh.gif

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I've bought it although will probably only play it in the house, much better than old warbly voice's version...

Social source share

I quite like it, sort of. It's certainly better than Duffy although it suffers from reminding everyone of exactly what a weak, insipid record her's was (and also of all those so called DJs who thought "cutting edge" meant play crap!). The big difference is that Duffy can't sing - this guy can.

I wouldn't expect to hear it played at a major soul night but early on, at a small local do should be fine.

J.

Social source share

its alright....i played it at a student/indie thing i play at but wouldnt play it at a soul night....

better than duffy yes but after the write ups id read i was a tad dissapointed...drum beat could have been better....not as good as lord large on acid jazz

and as for that coke ad ...not a good move for her....thought her voice was 'ok' before that now irritating

as f*** !!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I like.

Only heard it once but thought it was better than the original.

...Which original? Duffy's, or Patti Jo's "Make Me Believe In You"? wicked.gif

It's a good record, this, by the way. Very Spencer Davis Group...

Social source share

Guest soulboy

every one was raving about her [Duffy] so i got the album but soon go fed up with it, to be fair got to give her a chance and will see what her next ones like ,joss stone was the same she seemed to fade out ,but as iv said on here before i think the raphael saadiq track shes done's not to bad ,As said before why some one would cover mercy so soon after it being a big hit is a bit odd not to sure about it ? sounded a bit gnals barkley to me and why the third degree ? Havent we been there already almost .[the sound of philadelphia ]

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

...Which original? Duffy's, or Patti Jo's "Make Me Believe In You"? :P

It's a good record, this, by the way. Very Spencer Davis Group...

I agree Tony. I only heard it for the first time last night. A great f*ckin' rekid which sounds like it owes it's brass arrangement to Gene Chandler's "There Was A Time". Anyone know who the vocalist is?

I think it's a perfect Acid Jazz release. Typical of 'em to do a 60's cover of a 00's record LOL......

Ian D :D

Social source share

Mate gave a copy last week.. It sounded pretty good after a few beers and jazz fags... :D

Well that's the way I heard it last night and it worked! :P

I think I'll play it on the radio show on Sunday wedged between Gene Chandler "There Was A Time" and Lee Andrews & The Hearts "Can't Do Without You". If those 3 don't get the blood pumping then you're technically dead LOL.........

Social source share

Personally I think Duffy has a fantastic voice! Both versions are good.The Third Degree sounds more of a 60s sound and so I think it will continue to get plays.All a matter of taste I guess!

You could get killed for saying that on here LOL!

The fact is that "Mercy" is just a GREAT pop record and I like great pop records too. Let's face it, if "Mercy" was an undiscovered Deniece Chandler record on Lock Records or an unreleased Brenda Holloway on a Motown acetate we'd all love it wouldn't we? I keep a pretty open mind about these things if I can.........

I reckon that IF no one had ever heard the Duffy record, then the Third Degree version would be a monster! I still think it was a bold move for Acid Jazz to issue it - I think it falls in nicely with the Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings stuff. It's just a great record full stop........

Ian D :P

Social source share

Let's face it, if "Mercy" was an undiscovered Deniece Chandler record on Lock Records or an unreleased Brenda Holloway on a Motown acetate we'd all love it wouldn't we? Noooooooooooo!!!!!!

I reckon that IF no one had ever heard the Duffy record, then the Third Degree version would be a monster! Yeeeeeeeessssss!

Ian D :P

:D

Social source share

It does'nt press the soul button for me,but along the same kinda sounds a track the Groove Junkies have played Belleruche "Anything

you want" sounds better to me.To each his own

I don't know the Belleruche track but I'll deffo check it out......

I'm listening to Soulful House now but when I'm a 'Nouveau Retro Soul' phase I'll give it a whirl LOL...... :thumbsup:

Ian D :(

Social source share

Let's face it, if "Mercy" was an undiscovered Deniece Chandler record on Lock Records or an unreleased Brenda Holloway on a Motown acetate we'd all love it wouldn't we? Noooooooooooo!!!!!!

:(

Deniece Chandler was the nearest voice I could get to Duffy in the allotted time!

It could have been worse, Dena Barnes was a possibility for a moment! :thumbsup:

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Deniece Chandler was the nearest voice I could get to Duffy in the allotted time!

It could have been worse, Dena Barnes was a possibility for a moment! :(

Ian D :thumbup:

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif:(

I guess if the Duffy version didn't exist you may have a point.......but it does I'm afraid.

The Belleruche is another awful pop song as far removed from soul music as Lorraine Chandler (which is what I mis-read you as saying :thumbsup: ) is from Duffy. Can't believe anyone would be playing this. Avoid!

John.

Edited by John Al
Social source share

Had a listen when first released a couple of weeks back and wasn't impressed, can't think why anyone would want to record a cover of the song so soon after daffy ducks version, just another new release sounding old (yawn) and why anyone would want to play it out ? Modern Soul for the Northern folk, I'll get me coat :thumbsup:

Not all Northern folk.....personally I can't understand all the (so called) dj's who ignore the many northern/soul records for retro sounding pop music.

and shouldn't this topic be in freebasing? This section is All About SOUL.

Social source share

Not all Northern folk.....personally I can't understand all the (so called) dj's who ignore the many northern/soul records for retro sounding pop music.

and shouldn't this topic be in freebasing? This section is All About SOUL.

But the Third Degree vocal's pretty soulful isn't it............? :thumbsup:

Ian D :(

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

I don't like the I'm a man or For your love' bits, but the bits inbetween are OK. smile.gif

I recognise that vocalist, but I can't put a name to him. Terence Trent Darby by any chance? :boxing:

Edited by JJMMWGDuPree
Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

I don't like the I'm a man or For your love' bits, but the bits inbetween are OK. :lol:

I recognise that vocalist, but I can't put a name to him. Terence Trent Darby by any chance? ph34r.gif

I've just realised where the 'For your love' bit comes from. The same chord formation was used in 'Gimme some lovin'' (And in 'House of the Rising Sun', but that's not important right now...), so basically this arrangement is based upon 'Gimme some lovin'', and 'I'm a man'.

Someone said it was a bit Spencer Davis. You'd think I'd have spotted the clue... :boxing:

Social source share

I've just realised where the 'For your love' bit comes from. The same chord formation was used in 'Gimme some lovin'' (And in 'House of the Rising Sun', but that's not important right now...), so basically this arrangement is based upon 'Gimme some lovin'', and 'I'm a man'.

And the horn arrangement from Gene Chandler "There Was A Time" of course. Mix and match Northern. Ironic really that the Duffy record plundered a ton of influences and now this version plunders a few more thus out-plundering Duffy LOL.......

What next? A rap section from James Lewis and the Case Of Tyme maybe? :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert