The Dj

Barry

When scenes are on the up, whatever scene it may be, Jocks have a firm following of lessers that have neither the finances or the passion to be the top dog, the guy behind the decks so they become followers, dancers, punters - yes or no?

The bigger the scene explosion, the larger the amount of lessers obviously.

Having spent years observing certain scene's it appears to me that this process is what brings about 'High-Profile' DJ's.

Look at any long standing 'HP' jock from any scene and they seem to have made their name during the 'explosion' time on that scene.

True - of course it is?

I haven't seen any HP relevant dj's come about on the 'serious black music' scene for years.

Is this proof that the 'right place, right time' element comes into it?

Richard Searling is excepted from this argument of course, as he will never be surpassed.

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I actually didn't finish my point there.

What with diminishing audiences and regional and smaller events popping up, as they will, as collectors feel deserving of playing their life's work to their local friends - has this brought about the demise of the HP DJ?

On the flip of that, does amassing a collection over a number of years mean anything on the NS scale of things, opposed to burning bright and giving up your all when a scene is in it's infancy?

Todays HP DJs did it all as kids after all.

Social source share

I mean, as to put it into perspective, Douglas Bader was a belting pilot - Kenneth More played him.

HP Pilot.

Derek Griffiths from Play School is now a pilot.

He'll always be a lad who played with Hamble to me.

Without a war, Griffiths was f*cked on the HP pilot angle, know what I mean?

Social source share

Used to be that the lessers/followers lacked the initiative / equipment / bottle (take your pick) to take on the DJ persona and work their way up the food chain

Now it seems everybody with a bedroom set up and an mp free player thinks that they're a DJ

So the ultimate progression is that we all sit in our lonely rooms and play for ourselves

Wankers :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Bicks

I mean, as to put it into perspective, Douglas Bader was a belting pilot - Kenneth More played him.

HP Pilot.

Derek Griffiths from Play School is now a pilot.

He'll always be a lad who played with Hamble to me.

Without a war, Griffiths was f*cked on the HP pilot angle, know what I mean?

I was just about following this right up until the Derek Griffiths bit???????? Then you completely lost me.

Is the answer Humpty Dumpty in a Spitfire?

Edited by Bicks
Social source share

I am now entering "Barry's World" - I have this vision of Kenneth More djing in an old dis-used aircraft hangar - he drops "The Aeroplane Song" onto the floor comes Douglas Bader - when the tune hits the break Bader attempts an ill advised back drop (just to show he can) of couse he is now flat on his back & cannot get up. Nobody bothers to help him until a kindly seventies childrens TV presenter - we shall call him Derek, with the help of two cuddly toys, walks over & helps him to his feet. "There, there all over now Douglas - let's go home through the arched window & we'll listen to some "Soulful Playhouse" tunes on the way there" :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Roddy

Humpty Dumpty in a Spitfire.......... pmsl

Yup Badder should have stuck to hurricanes !!! and if he was that good a pilot how did he crash and burn in the first place ? I prefer Manfred Von Richthoven far mor stylish !!!!!!!!!!

Barry leave the djs alone and go back to examining your belly button.... please

Social source share

The serious DJ's are primarily there to spread their taste and hopefully entertain and educate their audiences whilst doing it.

These days you need someone to dig through the morass of stuff and find the good tunes and that's primarily what every good DJ hopes to achieve. If you're any good at it, you tend to stick around longer.

You think anyone else has the time or even bloody patience to spend 16 hours a day digging through tunes? There's so much crap around that it takes a good DJ to filter the crap out and keep people happy.

So DJing is a question of taste to me. People will always need guidance from the pros. I personally use a lot of DJ's for their taste and thank God they're around! There's not enough time in the world to listen to everything. So, yes, serious DJ's are essential to the wellbeing of any scene.

Ian D :rolleyes:

Social source share

The serious DJ's are primarily there to spread their taste and hopefully entertain and educate their audiences whilst doing it.

These days you need someone to dig through the morass of stuff and find the good tunes and that's primarily what every good DJ hopes to achieve. If you're any good at it, you tend to stick around longer.

You think anyone else has the time or even bloody patience to spend 16 hours a day digging through tunes? There's so much crap around that it takes a good DJ to filter the crap out and keep people happy.

So DJing is a question of taste to me. People will always need guidance from the pros. I personally use a lot of DJ's for their taste and thank God they're around! There's not enough time in the world to listen to everything. So, yes, serious DJ's are essential to the wellbeing of any scene.

Ian D :lol:

Hey Ian are you talking about Colin Curtis here ? He's actually told us that you dont listen!! :wave::lol::rolleyes:

Social source share

Hey Ian are you talking about Colin Curtis here ? He's actually told us that you dont listen!! :lol:laugh.gif:lol:

I spend half my life listening to music but that doesn't necessarily include every rinky-dink garage track that comes out week after week! :D

Colin should get out of his Grateful Dead phase and start lashing down some compilations and spreading his knowledge to a wider audience as I told him on Saturday.

When are you guesting on the show? I'm getting people asking now plus Sam's confirmed for a future slot the next time he's in town........

If you could stop pumping out one-liners and sort out a suitable Sunday I'd be most grateful old bean....... :lol:

Ian D :D

PS I see we now have Festa on the air every 4 weeks!

Social source share

I spend half my life listening to music but that doesn't necessarily include every rinky-dink garage track that comes out week after week! :lol:

Colin should get out of his Grateful Dead phase and start lashing down some compilations and spreading his knowledge to a wider audience as I told him on Saturday.

When are you guesting on the show? I'm getting people asking now plus Sam's confirmed for a future slot the next time he's in town........

If you could stop pumping out one-liners and sort out a suitable Sunday I'd be most grateful old bean....... :lol:

PS I see we now have Festa on the air every 4 weeks!

Oh yes sorry I must get a date for that ! . Plus It will be great to hear Sam and even Festa on the airwaves again ! biggrin.gif

Ok Im off to wade through some traxsource samples now :D

Social source share

Oh yes sorry I must get a date for that ! . Plus It will be great to hear Sam and even Festa on the airwaves again ! :lol:

Ok Im off to wade through some traxsource samples now :lol:

Well hurry up or you'll be in a queue!

Actually I'd like to get Stevie G on as well. He's relatively local isn't he?

You can start sorting your show out now then. You know how the format works presumably dontcha? Ist Half-Hour is Soulful House/Disco/Uptempo, 2nd Half-Hour is pretty much 80's, 3rd Half-Hour is Northern/Modern/Crossover and 4th Half-Hour is killer Deep/Mellow/Slow Grooves to Mid-Tempo Anthemic Crowd Pleasers. Time to get those goodies out and let people hear 'em over the airwaves Simon......

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Well hurry up or you'll be in a queue!

Actually I'd like to get Stevie G on as well. He's relatively local isn't he?

You can start sorting your show out now then. You know how the format works presumably dontcha? Ist Half-Hour is Soulful House/Disco/Uptempo, 2nd Half-Hour is pretty much 80's, 3rd Half-Hour is Northern/Modern/Crossover and 4th Half-Hour is killer Deep/Mellow/Slow Grooves to Mid-Tempo Anthemic Crowd Pleasers. Time to get those goodies out and let people hear 'em over the airwaves Simon......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Stevie G as in 'Dirty Cash' or Steve G as in Guarnori? If it's Steve G, I'll come down in the batmobile with him and inflict my soulful house/ uplifting/ 8Ts/ Northern selection on you....don't say I never invite myself, Ian :-) As for DJs - what do we know laugh.gif

Social source share

When scenes are on the up, whatever scene it may be, Jocks have a firm following of lessers that have neither the finances or the passion to be the top dog, the guy behind the decks so they become followers, dancers, punters - yes or no?

The bigger the scene explosion, the larger the amount of lessers obviously.

Having spent years observing certain scene's it appears to me that this process is what brings about 'High-Profile' DJ's.

Look at any long standing 'HP' jock from any scene and they seem to have made their name during the 'explosion' time on that scene.

True - of course it is?

I haven't seen any HP relevant dj's come about on the 'serious black music' scene for years.

Is this proof that the 'right place, right time' element comes into it?

Richard Searling is excepted from this argument of course, as he will never be surpassed.

personally ive always hired a dj.never actually owned one so not had to have one on hp. i dont think they will ever be over .they are the ideal thing for a black tie event and now come with cuff-links.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Stevie G as in 'Dirty Cash' or Steve G as in Guarnori? If it's Steve G, I'll come down in the batmobile with him and inflict my soulful house/ uplifting/ 8Ts/ Northern selection on you....don't say I never invite myself, Ian :-) As for DJs - what do we know laugh.gif

wasn't that "the adventures of stevie V " or is my memory buggered ? one of the best opening lines of any song lolol

" i've no excuse i just want you to use me , take me and abuse me " ...GENIUS !!!

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert