Oi! Stop Steppin' On My Dreams

harpo1

I have spent 35 years plus loving and embracing our music, and its sub culture, having a ball, and i am over the past 3/4 years finding it as exciting as when i was a young man, while so many others are harbingers of doom as they struggle with what they see as a current downturn.

They say that age and experience allows you to have a more measured view of things, and i have over the past months puzzled over certain comments or situations i have encountered, and heres what i have come to see as the answers from my viewpoint.

Let me list a few examples.

Just back from Prestatyn, it was wonderful to be able to once again listen to the "modern" soul music in packed rooms with full dance floors, it is so sad that in the midlands and north so many great venues have been lost due to lack of support, and a general indifference. There is nothing better than to experience the "whole thing" with dance floor calling to you, and a crowd thatare up for it.

All the finest "gear" in the world will never make a "flat" night become a classic on anything other than a personal basis.

One particular highlight was on Sunday lunchtime, when having had a frustrating morning twiddling thumbs as my friends wished to take a little breather, leaving me pacing the chalet, or mostly with my head out the bathroom window salivating at the music coming from "the house of soul". Sandi and i finally hit the room when Sam had just 15 mins. left of the final spot. We hit the dance floor, and second record in he drops Ike Strong "Your love keeps me dancing", that record is, as Sam said one of the best 3 dancers ever, and at that moment a good day was gonna become great. The outcome was that Sam did an extra hour playing so many classic and pivotal records, finishing with applause from the crowd that equalled any recieved by the live acts, pure magic my old mate. Yet as i danced to that driving beat, and watched so many others also with such energy and obvious delight, i also noticed many other regulars who were stood off the floor, why, how! i'm thinking this is for me a tune that is a dancers dream, with that little extra thing that makes it so special. Even the wise sages sat around the perimiter pontificating and sharing valued views, such as Dave Thorley, and Cliff, had unmissable wry smiles that said oh yes!. I think to my self, surely these others know this record, what's up??

Then the penny dropped, if you were at Wigan , and the other like venues at that time, you would always remember that of all those wonderful early "modern" classics this one had that little extra drive that made even the most moderate dancers, like myself, step it up. That extra ingredient is what makes certain great records become electric, and that feeling is thick in the air just pure magic, its a long tradition, you only have to think of the likes of "Cool jerk, My little girl, Our love is in the pocket etc.. etc..., with for me the ultimate dancer The Salvadors, i only have to think of that record and the hairs on the back of my neck, arms and head prick up and im buzzing like , well i can think of no better way to explain it, having had black bombers big green and clears, and a generous sprinkling of filon. Today we still see it with those records from the much reviled modern scene, that do cross over to the "northern" scene, Michael Proctor, Bobby Pruitt and Joi Cadwell all have this, and the first time i heard them years ago i felt it.

Thinking about it i then realised, that with the crowd assembled from nationwide lovers of "modern" dance and soul we did not all have the same roots, and experiences, although we had all ended up drawn together, rather than a northern/southern soul divide that once existed, its legacy is not only the ridiculous and rightly maligned term "Northern", it is a lead boot that has hung on to the scene, 30 years too long, like "soul bags"

Thinking about it i then realised why much loved and revered records, have at times left me cold, the likes of Loose ends "Dangling on a string" and so many others from those 80's weekenders and the like leave me flat, not great records, coming from where i did.

We learn from our experiences, and i did not experience that scene, its only due to there being less big influencial venues, and ease of transport that we have melded together, as lovers of soul and dance music, there are so so many records i missed at the time that i have become aware of, while others i cant see, but its a personal thing, and we cant like 'em all.

We from the northern scene finally embraced the weekender an idea that at first was so alien it seemed stupid, why have a room we are out every weekend, with regularlly the journey and those you met on the way being even more enjoyable than the night, and the thought that it would lead to loads of piss heads turning up, staggering around and being asses was another major factor, this wonderful, yet if we are honest elitist scene of ours, would never suffer fools, and i suppose thats why we are still here, but we have become better by embracing the music, and most of my peers will not think for a second of using the chalet for any other reason than to get changed, and to keep the weekend going while the breaks in the music take place.

Thinking about this im pleased with my personal reasoning and im sure i will be more understanding, and by understanding but not embracing those others itll make it even better from now on, heres to another 35 years.

I'll finish however with a counter- point to the above mentioned events, as during the weekender i had an experience that left me in amazment.

No names mentioned, but during a spot by a dj i was previously unaware of, he was playing great records, but several people were saying he was saying he would play requests but not doing so, ok that didn't bother me, as the tunes were good, when you so often go out and listen to what you see as shite!

Eventually i asked him for a record, he said he didn't have that one by the artiste but did have another, one that again was a fave of mine from that early "special" period, yes please i said. I've dj'd a bit over the years, and i find that when you have one or two people who obviously like what you are playing and must therfore have taste, it adds to your confidence, knowing that you can use them to get more people off their asses...GREAT!!

He then pulls up another record,"you want me to play that" he said, "yes that would be great" i reply, he turns to me then and says, "you dont even know what it is, do ya". I was stunned not offended that he implied i didn't know it, more by the attitude, i'd never met him before, or heard of him, and i'm sure he was the same with regard to me, if i'd not knew the tune i would have said so, and if the roles were reversed possibly played it for him to hear, or at least said it was worth listening to in the future, as the dj if you can

give just one person some new knowlege it is job done, as much as it is to get dancers up, not see people who seek you out as just a nuisance, or am i getting it wrog!!

Oh yes!! the record, well it was Bessie Banks "Dont you worry baby, best is yet to come", where i come from that is a classic record, even more revered as being the last record played at Blackpool Mecca, a sort of Dean Parrish "i'm on my way" with many, many knobs on. Now harking back to my earlier references, i would assume that everyone knew and loved that tune, one of the "Crown jewell's", as i like to call them.

Mate, i hope you will realise like me from this, if you even remember the incident, the scene is held together by its legendary, friendly image, embrace your peers, dont go out thinking you know better than those lot, and if im honest your spots later in the weekend did seem much better, and it flowed, perhaps you were having a bad 'un, next time kick the fuckin' cat not me!!!

Thanks to you all

Harpo

Text size edited by site - please see forum rules - https://www.soul-source.co.uk/soul-article-...rum-house-rules

normal text size setting should be used where possible

stand out font colours and sizes should only be used for emphasis

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Mark Cartwright

Harpo

Nicely put!

It's an enormously wide scene with a million different view points. We all have our roots, our experiences which make us who we are but right at the heart of it is a love of the music and the lifelong friends we make - some sadly no longer with us. It's all about the "hairs on the back of the neck feeling", the friendship and showing some respect. We're never all going to agree but ain't that the best bit!

Have fun

Mark

ps - see you at Maxims

Social source share

Guest nomad

I have spent 35 years plus loving and embracing our music, and its sub culture, having a ball, and i am over the past 3/4 years finding it as exciting as when i was a young man, while so many others are harbingers of doom as they struggle with what they see as a current downturn.

They say that age and experience allows you to have a more measured view of things, and i have over the past months puzzled over certain comments or situations i have encountered, and heres what i have come to see as the answers from my viewpoint.

Just back from Prestatyn, it was wonderful to be able to once again listen to the "modern" soul music in packed rooms with full dance floors, it is so sad that in the midlands and north so many great venues have been lost due to lack of support, and a general indifference. There is nothing better than to experience the "whole thing" with dance floor calling to you, and a crowd thatare up for it.

All the finest "gear" in the world will never make a "flat" night become a classic on anything other than a personal basis.

One particular highlight was on Sunday lunchtime, when having had a frustrating morning twiddling thumbs as my friends wished to take a little breather, leaving me pacing the chalet, or mostly with my head out the bathroom window salivating at the music coming from "the house of soul". Sandi and i finally hit the room when Sam had just 15 mins. left of the final spot. We hit the dance floor, and second record in he drops Ike Strong "Your love keeps me dancing", that record is, as Sam said one of the best 3 dancers ever, and at that moment a good day was gonna become great. The outcome was that Sam did an extra hour playing so many classic and pivotal records, finishing with applause from the crowd that equalled any recieved by the live acts, pure magic my old mate. Yet as i danced to that driving beat, and watched so many others also with such energy and obvious delight, i also noticed many other regulars who were stood off the floor, why, how! i'm thinking this is for me a tune that is a dancers dream, with that little extra thing that makes it so special. Even the wise sages sat around the perimiter pontificating and sharing valued views, such as Dave Thorley, and Cliff, had unmissable wry smiles that said oh yes!. I think to my self, surely these others know this record, what's up??

Then the penny dropped, if you were at Wigan , and the other like venues at that time, you would always remember that of all those wonderful early "modern" classics this one had that little extra drive that made even the most moderate dancers, like myself, step it up. That extra ingredient is what makes certain great records become electric, and that feeling is thick in the air just pure magic, its a long tradition, you only have to think of the likes of "Cool jerk, My little girl, Our love is in the pocket etc.. etc..., with for me the ultimate dancer The Salvadors, i only have to think of that record and the hairs on the back of my neck, arms and head prick up and im buzzing like , well i can think of no better way to explain it, having had black bombers big green and clears, and a generous sprinkling of filon. Today we still see it with those records from the much reviled modern scene, that do cross over to the "northern" scene, Michael Proctor, Bobby Pruitt and Joi Cadwell all have this, and the first time i heard them years ago i felt it.

Thinking about it i then realised, that with the crowd assembled from nationwide lovers of "modern" dance and soul we did not all have the same roots, and experiences, although we had all ended up drawn together, rather than a northern/southern soul divide that once existed, its legacy is not only the ridiculous and rightly maligned term "Northern", it is a lead boot that has hung on to the scene, 30 years too long, like "soul bags"

Thinking about it i then realised why much loved and revered records, have at times left me cold, the likes of Loose ends "Dangling on a string" and so many others from those 80's weekenders and the like leave me flat, not great records, coming from where i did.

We learn from our experiences, and i did not experience that scene, its only due to there being less big influencial venues, and ease of transport that we have melded together, as lovers of soul and dance music, there are so so many records i missed at the time that i have become aware of, while others i cant see, but its a personal thing, and we cant like 'em all.

We from the northern scene finally embraced the weekender an idea that at first was so alien it seemed stupid, why have a room we are out every weekend, with regularlly the journey and those you met on the way being even more enjoyable than the night, and the thought that it would lead to loads of piss heads turning up, staggering around and being asses was another major factor, this wonderful, yet if we are honest elitist scene of ours, would never suffer fools, and i suppose thats why we are still here, but we have become better by embracing the music, and most of my peers will not think for a second of using the chalet for any other reason than to get changed, and to keep the weekend going while the breaks in the music take place.

Thinking about this im pleased with my personal reasoning and im sure i will be more understanding, and by understanding but not embracing those others itll make it even better from now on, heres to another 35 years.

I'll finish however with a counter- point to the above mentioned events, as during the weekender i had an experience that left me in amazment.

No names mentioned, but during a spot by a dj i was previously unaware of, he was playing great records, but several people were saying he was saying he would play requests but not doing so, ok that didn't bother me, as the tunes were good, when you so often go out and listen to what you see as shite!

Eventually i asked him for a record, he said he didn't have that one by the artiste but did have another, one that again was a fave of mine from that early "special" period, yes please i said. I've dj'd a bit over the years, and i find that when you have one or two people who obviously like what you are playing and must therfore have taste, it adds to your confidence, knowing that you can use them to get more people off their asses...GREAT!!

He then pulls up another record,"you want me to play that" he said, "yes that would be great" i reply, he turns to me then and says, "you dont even know what it is, do ya". I was stunned not offended that he implied i didn't know it, more by the attitude, i'd never met him before, or heard of him, and i'm sure he was the same with regard to me, if i'd not knew the tune i would have said so, and if the roles were reversed possibly played it for him to hear, or at least said it was worth listening to in the future, as the dj if you can

give just one person some new knowlege it is job done, as much as it is to get dancers up, not see people who seek you out as just a nuisance, or am i getting it wrog!!

Oh yes!! the record, well it was Bessie Banks "Dont you worry baby, best is yet to come", where i come from that is a classic record, even more revered as being the last record played at Blackpool Mecca, a sort of Dean Parrish "i'm on my way" with many, many knobs on. Now harking back to my earlier references, i would assume that everyone knew and loved that tune, one of the "Crown jewell's", as i like to call them.

Mate, i hope you will realise like me from this, if you even remember the incident, the scene is held together by its legendary, friendly image, embrace your peers, dont go out thinking you know better than those lot, and if im honest your spots later in the weekend did seem much better, and it flowed, perhaps you were having a bad 'un, next time kick the fuckin' cat not me!!!

Thanks to you all

Harpo

Harpo ...you do talk some shite at times but I must say I found this interesting!!! If you want to witness a great night with plenty of atmosphere and a great modern room come over to St Ives in may. It will be a pleasure to see you both and Im sure you will enjoy it.

Politics is for poofs

Nomad

Social source share

Harpo ...you do talk some shite at times but I must say I found this interesting!!! If you want to witness a great night with plenty of atmosphere and a great modern room come over to St Ives in may. It will be a pleasure to see you both and Im sure you will enjoy it.

Politics is for poofs

Nomad

Cheers paul me old mucker(is that shite enough for ya) Harpo

Social source share

Thanks to you all

Harpo

Heartfelt and unargueable.

More posts like this please.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

"...The Salvadors, i only have to think of that record and the hairs on the back of my neck, arms and (head) prick..."

Oo-er!, I mis-read this bit at first, missing out the "head" word, and for a split second thought you said... unsure.gif

(Mind you, whenever I hear Bessie Banks or The Salvadors ALL my hairs stand up!") :lol:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Bloody hell mate you really said that from the heart , as someone who has known you for many years , I know I can say I have never met anyone who is as passionate about the scene and soul music in general as you, I really mean that . Maybe its time I dipped my toe in the water so to speak once more on the scene , as you probably aware I had my problems in the past with gear but that is behind me now, but still one day at a time . Always enjoy reading your blogs and Sandis come to that and I am aware of all the tittle tattling that goes on on the scene still , maybe see u soon keep in touch Paddy Jennings

Just like to say thanks to everyone for the positive response to my comments, hoped i hadn't trod on to many toes, apparently not.

Regards

Harpo

Social source share

Bloody hell mate you really said that from the heart , as someone who has known you for many years , I know I can say I have never met anyone who is as passionate about the scene and soul music in general as you, I really mean that . Maybe its time I dipped my toe in the water so to speak once more on the scene , as you probably aware I had my problems in the past with gear but that is behind me now, but still one day at a time . Always enjoy reading your blogs and Sandis come to that and I am aware of all the tittle tattling that goes on on the scene still , maybe see u soon keep in touch Paddy Jennings

Paddy old mate, we would love to see you ASAP, we've all been there mate, well me anyway

Love ya....Harpo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert