Guest TONY ROUNCE

• Replies 59
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hope Tony does not mind, Seems its all happening on here....I was collecting Aussie versions of Soul tracks, until it got silly, here are some good ones though...

Heart N Soul Looks better than it sounds if you get what I mean, where as the Groove do the business on Adams Apples Brunswick recording.. I was told they were from the North Shore (Sydney) anybody?

Had to pop Bobby (Boris) Pickett in there - On a Demo... OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

Mal :lol:

post-2025-1237329590_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1237329613_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1237329755_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1237329782_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1237329801_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Finally, I have no idea whether Bobby's Cry, Cry, Cry got a Top Rank release in the UK? here it is Under Licence to L.J. Hooker who Festival were a division of, L.J. Hooker still sell insurance in OZ to this day! plus a clutch of AMPAR discs..and Sams "Only Sixteen"..

Mal :lol:

post-2025-1237331028_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1237331139_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1237331169_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1237331237_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1237331907_thumb.jpg

post-2025-1237331930_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The UK release of 'Cry Cry Cry' was on Vogue, Mal.

As it happens, it was one of the records that I bought on my first ever visit to the Soul City shop on Monmouth Street, along with a copy of Bobby's "A Piece Of Gold" which I'd heard Mike Raven play on his R & B Show the night before.

The third record I bought that day was Garnet Mimms "I'll Take Good Care Of you"/"Looking For You", at that point the most expensive record I'd ever bought at 15 shillings in old money! Dave Godin had some pretty amazing deleted UK 45s in stock in those days!...

Keep posting the Aussie labels - I love to see 'em! I'll stick a few of mine up on your thread at some point. I can remember the first Aussie soul 45 I ever owned was a copy of Jackie Wilson's "I've Lost You", on either Brunswick or Coral (can't remember which now, as I have a US copy these days) which I bought in a junkshop just up the road from West Ham's football ground for six pence (again in old money) in 1968. I've loved the look of them ever since...

Social source share

The UK release of 'Cry Cry Cry' was on Vogue, Mal.

As it happens, it was one of the records that I bought on my first ever visit to the Soul City shop on Monmouth Street, along with a copy of Bobby's "A Piece Of Gold" which I'd heard Mike Raven play on his R & B Show the night before.

The third record I bought that day was Garnet Mimms "I'll Take Good Care Of you"/"Looking For You", at that point the most expensive record I'd ever bought at 15 shillings in old money! Dave Godin had some pretty amazing deleted UK 45s in stock in those days!...

Keep posting the Aussie labels - I love to see 'em! I'll stick a few of mine up on your thread at some point. I can remember the first Aussie soul 45 I ever owned was a copy of Jackie Wilson's "I've Lost You", on either Brunswick or Coral (can't remember which now, as I have a US copy these days) which I bought in a junkshop just up the road from West Ham's football ground for six pence (again in old money) in 1968. I've loved the look of them ever since...

I had that LP from an early age also, of a mates mum at school for £4... Not surprised you about Cry Cry Cry.. Dave Godin biged it up on the reverse if memory serves me well, what a track though...!!

I was going to start a post on Bobby Bland sound alikes, I've got some nice tracks by people like Tony Boarders and Ernie Johnson who cut tracks obviously influenced by bobby's Dukes sides... could mix this with Bobby Bland releses from around the world...

More Aussie to come, plus I have pulled out an 30 strong Aussie Soul Pack if anybody is interested? mostly VG+ / ++ good fillers for a collection..

Watch this space..

M

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I was going to start a post on Bobby Bland sound alikes, I've got some nice tracks by people like Tony Boarders and Ernie Johnson who cut tracks obviously influenced by bobby's Dukes sides... could mix this with Bobby Bland releases from around the world...

More Aussie to come, plus I have pulled out an 30 strong Aussie Soul Pack if anybody is interested?

M

I'm interested, particularly if there are any Aussie girl singers in there! :wave:

While working on another Goldwax project for Ace recently it stuck me just how much James Carr's first couple of Goldwax 45s owe to the 'Blue' Boy. Buddy Ace's "Kicked the Habit" (Paula) is one of my favourite Blandalikes, too. And Charlie Rich's "Pass On By" (the other side of 'Love Is After Me') I know it's getting 'off point' a bit in a thread about SA pressings, but I'm always happy to talk about the great Mr. Bland! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert