Some Soul From South Africa

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Enjoyed Mal's Aussie labels so much that I thought I'd start a sister thread devoted to labels from South Africa!

Here are a few fairly recent purchases of mine:

...no US or UK 45 on that one...

...can't get this to scan very well but in case you can't see it, it's "He's So Fine" by the Chiffons - on HMV!

...this one comes in a pic sleeve. Sadly it;s a picture of a mountain rather than of Jackie, but never mind!

...love the tri-centre AND the misprint title!

...don't think there's a US 45 of this one either! One of the best of the many Jimmy lewis songs that Bro' Ray recorded.

...just a great pop soul record in every way!

Will post more up when I have time. Any further contributions?

TONE

Social source share

• Replies 59
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Brett F

Good topic Tony, i've got Otis Redding on Lebanese Stax, not certain i've got a scan but i'll do one so folks can have a look. Any Indian ones Motown etc ?

Brett

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Good topic Tony, i've got Otis Redding on Lebanese Stax, not certain i've got a scan but i'll do one so folks can have a look. Any Indian ones Motown etc ?

Brett

I've got a bunch of nice Lebanese pressings, many of them on multicolured vinyl.

This one's not soul (obviously) but I thought I'd post it up anyway!

...eat yer heart out, Peter Kay!

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Al Wilson performed a small residency at a South African Backgammon tournament in 1975...in the presentation pack was this 45...Lorne Lesley looks my kinda woman... :P

I would seriously like that Al Wilson "Show & Tell" 45' (awesome), does it state anywhere on the label South Africa ?, it's one of my all time favourite records, guess i'll stick with my USA copy :lol:

Brett

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest Brett F

I would seriously like that Al Wilson "Show & Tell" 45' (awesome), does it state anywhere on the label South Africa ?, it's one of my all time favourite records, guess i'll stick with mu USA copy :(

Brett

by the way that programme line up is fantastic.......

11am. Backgammon- second session

5pm- Al Wilson Cocktail Show

7.30pm- Creole Pool Party & Prize Giving

11pm- Boxing and Brunch at Pool............... :lol::P:(

God i need that record, one of the best things i've ever seen posted on here.

Brett

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Here's a nice copy of Jerry Butler made in Lebanon

Wow Val, great stuff, is it the same version as the US 45', and not by any chance the Spices Of Life LP take ?

Social source share

Guest Brett F

it doesnt mention South Africa on the label Brett...altho "Listen to me" mentions Intersong (Pty) Ltd... heres how much it was to get in.......

Where the hell did you get that ?, you didn't attend did you. God wish i had, i can see me throwing somebody in the pool at that Creole prize giving............ :lol::P

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Yet to see any Indian soul releases , read on Ian Levines thread that his parents would bring him Indian Motown 45's, would like to see any of those.

Brett

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I read somewhere that Lebanon had a pressing plant up to 1975 and the outbreak of the civil war ended all that, seems a strange place for soul (American) records to be pressed, can understand the African releases, i read that Al Bell at Stax wanted to reach out to the African people with the soul music they released.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Yet to see any Indian soul releases , read on Ian Levines thread that his parents would bring him Indian Motown 45's, would like to see any of those.

Brett

i think i would be right in saying they are on tamla motown very similar label design to Uk releases just different cat numbers, pretty much the same as all EMI product released outside of europe

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Be interesting to see who can come up with the most bizarre foreign release soul 45'/LP/Ep, always thought the Lebanese were cool, are there any Eire(Republic of Ireland) soul releases ? I've got a bundle of South American but then again not surprising really.

Like to see Chuck Corby on a British Virgin Islands (Chess) viny 45' :lol: .... Tony Rounce probably has one :P

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest Brett F

i think i would be right in saying they are on tamla motown very similar label design to Uk releases just different cat numbers, pretty much the same as all EMI product released outside of europe

Interesting, just like to see a scan with India on the label.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Lorne Lesley looks my kinda woman... :lol:

She's definitely David "Cheap As Chips" Dickinson's type of woman, he's been married to her for years!!!!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Be interesting to see who can come up with the most bizarre foreign release soul 45'/LP/Ep, always thought the Lebanese were cool, are there any Eire(Republic of Ireland) soul releases ? I've got a bundle of South American but then again not surprising really.

Like to see Chuck Corby on a British Virgin Islands (Chess) viny 45' :P .... Tony Rounce probably has one :(

...haven't got so can't do that, but I can scan you my Ben Monroe "Broken Home" on Turkish London when I get home tonight, Brett :lol:

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Like to see Chuck Corby on a British Virgin Islands (Chess) viny 45' :lol: .... Tony Rounce probably has one :P

Stateside Tri-Centre South Rhodesian marvin gaye, mention it on the aussie thread, attached it now so you can get a better look.

Also Irish Tamla motown uses same cat Number with (I) added to the end

post-10426-1237222809.jpg

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Stateside Tri-Centre South Rhodesian marvin gaye, mention it on the aussie thread, attached it now so you can get a better look.

Somewhere in the attic there's a Southern Rhodesian Tri-Centre Chubby Checker "At the Discotheque" EP, that I really need to find and scan, I think...

I've also got som other nice SA tri-centres that I'll dig out and scan when time allows, including the Essex "Easier Said Than Done", Mary Wells "Keep Me In Suspense", the Swingin' Medallions "Double Shot Of My Baby's Love" etc.

So much to scan, so little time!

Social source share

I have a black and silver tri centre Fontana copy of "Let's Go Baby / Barefootin" but I can't be arsed to scan it.

From the same shop I bought 2 copies of that Susan Singer "Bobbys loving touch", they were on a red label but can't remember the name of it. Not Oriole like here though.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Got a lovely Lebanese Tamla Motown issue of Tammi Terrell "This Old Heart Of Mine"... somewhere!

Another one that didn't make a release here... wonder how many copies it sold over there? :lol:

Sean

Would love to see a scan of that, think the rarest OZ motown thing i got is Tony Martin Bigger you heart is.

Awful record but got to be rare

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Brett

I came very close to buying the Drifters' "Sweets For My Sweet" on an Indian London 78 a few months ago, but the bidding war got a bit silly for me so I dropped out. I don;t like it as much as I like the Searchers' version anyway...

The fellow who was selling it is a pal of mine, and he has loads of Indian 78s including what, he tells me, is probably the only Indian 78 of a Motown record, "Baby Love" on Stateside!

Ian did have loads of Indian Tamla Motown 45s - the best of which must have been the Four Tops "Helpless" - but he hasn't got them anymore.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I came very close to buying the Drifters' "Sweets For My Sweet" on an Indian London 78 a few months ago, but the bidding war got a bit silly for me so I dropped out. I don;t like it as much as I like the Searchers' version anyway...

The fellow who was selling it is a pal of mine, and he has loads of Indian 78s including what, he tells me, is probably the only Indian 78 of a Motown record, "Baby Love" on Stateside!

Ian did have loads of Indian Tamla Motown 45s - the best of which must have been the Four Tops "Helpless" - but he hasn't got them anymore.

Interesting Tony, i got a Drifters Lp (60's) think it is called "Ruby" or there is a song on it called Ruby (only bought it because thats my daughters name) on Japanese, are there many early 60's soul vinyl records on Japanese ( released in that era i mean....?guess there must be)

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Interesting Tony, i got a Drifters Lp (60's) think it is called "Ruby" or there is a song on it called Ruby (only bought it because thats my daughters name) on Japanese, are there many early 60's soul vinyl records on Japanese ( released in that era i mean....?guess there must be)

i've got Sounds like the Flirtations on japanese Deram,similar but different cover to the UK release.

post-10426-1237225253_thumb.jpg

post-10426-1237225322_thumb.jpg

post-10426-1237225383_thumb.jpg

Edited by julesp1905
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

i've got Sounds like the Flirtations on japanese Deram,similar but different cover to the UK release.

...Flirtations. Now that must have been a difficult word for the Japanese to get their tongues round!...

Social source share

Like to see Chuck Corby on a British Virgin Islands (Chess) viny 45' :thumbsup: .... Tony Rounce probably has one wink.gif

just sold south african..patti austin..take away the pain stain..red coral..tri-ang centre

argentine demo..appolas..el creador..(mr creator ) play at 33rpm..w.b festival

Edited by swoz
Social source share

Would love to see a scan of that, think the rarest OZ motown thing i got is Tony Martin Bigger you heart is.

Awful record but got to be rare

To answer your PM, I've never seen that one, but I don't think I'd buy it if I did see it. File under "rare but undesirable" (to non-completists at least) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Of all my many SA 45s, this is probably my favourite and my best:

This old Norfolk Village Modern Soul Philly classic only seems to have been issued on 45 in SA. Happily it also comes without the ugly intro of the album version.

Obviously I haven't covered the label up, I just haven't tried to take the sticker off!

I like this one so much that I have two copies... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Nigerian Atlantic Otis Redding......wonder if theres an Art Freeman?........

Possibly not - but there's definitely at least one Aretha Franklin!:

Social source share

Possibly not - but there's definitely at least one Aretha Franklin!:

Am working in Libya for the next 2/3 years and pass through Tripoli every 3/6 weeks. Thinking about it chances are very slim.

Social source share

Of all my many SA 45s, this is probably my favourite and my best:

This old Norfolk Village Modern Soul Philly classic only seems to have been issued on 45 in SA. Happily it also comes without the ugly intro of the album version.

Obviously I haven't covered the label up, I just haven't tried to take the sticker off!

I like this one so much that I have two copies... :lol:

So... just what did they put on the A side Tony?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert