Help Me Solve 3 Modern Mysteries

Can anyone give me any info on the following modern tracks.

1. Jimmy James and the Vagabonds Missing You. IMO this is a great modern track but I've never seen it mentioned or listed. It's on the mojem label, it's a 4 track ep and just to add to the mystery the label is on the wrong side so you have to play Loving you is easy. I guess it's a UK production, there's no date, number is BECK 857 which seemd odd in itself!

2. Jackie Wilson It only happens when I look at you. Appears to have been written by Golde and Denne who I seem to recall were UK writers for Real Thing etc. How did they come to write this for Jackie? Also to add to the mystery again, the copy I have is a Spanish Picture cover which lists Nobody but You as the title but the disc is It only Happens plus Where is Love. Initially I thought wrong sleeve but the number 00B521 is same on sleeve and disc. Also has sticker with date 10.3.66. on label but this can't be right can it ?

3. Finally, bit easier I think! Johnny Johnson and Bandwagon Strong Love Proud Love from 1974. It's a Biddu production anyone know it or rate it ? Was it issued in US ?

So come on experts solve my mysteries !

Andy

Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hey up Andy :thumbsup:

Jackie Wilson 'It Only Happens' was also recorded as a UK only release by Delegation on State records.

State was part of the MCA group so explains the JW connection.

Always assumed JW was the 1st version but maybe not I guess.

Delegation version quite nice as well & could do with a copy if anybody has a spare.

Social source share

Hey up Andy :thumbsup:

Jackie Wilson 'It Only Happens' was also recorded as a UK only release by Delegation on State records.

State was part of the MCA group so explains the JW connection.

Always assumed JW was the 1st version but maybe not I guess.

Delegation version quite nice as well & could do with a copy if anybody has a spare.

Hiya Martin

Did the Jackie Wilson get a US release ?

Social source share

Hiya Martin

Did the Jackie Wilson get a US release ?

Good question, can't ever recall seeing a US copy. Seem to see more UK demo's around than issues as well.

Think the Jimmy James also had a European release in a picture cover as well, not sure which country though.

Social source share

never seen it on UK issue..anyone got a scan ?

gasher

Good question, can't ever recall seeing a US copy. Seem to see more UK demo's around than issues as well.

Think the Jimmy James also had a European release in a picture cover as well, not sure which country though.

Social source share

Can anyone give me any info on the following modern tracks.

1. Jimmy James and the Vagabonds Missing You. IMO this is a great modern track but I've never seen it mentioned or listed. It's on the mojem label, it's a 4 track ep and just to add to the mystery the label is on the wrong side so you have to play Loving you is easy. I guess it's a UK production, there's no date, number is BECK 857 which seemd odd in itself!

Andy

I have this Andy - it is in a pic sleeve (autographed by JJ) and is something that was only available at his gigs in the late 70's, therefore quite a rarity!

Agree - "Missing You" is an OK tune that I played out a couple of times when I first got it... but haven't played in years.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

I have this Andy - it is in a pic sleeve (autographed by JJ) and is something that was only available at his gigs in the late 70's, therefore quite a rarity!

Agree - "Missing You" is an OK tune that I played out a couple of times when I first got it... but haven't played in years.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Bloody hell Sean.

Saw Jimmy at St Philips club in Sheffield in the late 70's & he was selling tapes & some 7" records & didn't bother buying ow't.

Live & learn eh!

Social source share

Thanks everyone for the info so far, particularly Sean for info.re Jimmy James track, no wonder I couldn't track one down in any guide. Mine hasn't the pic sleeve, does Sean's copy also have the label on wrong side ?

Still waiting for any info on the Johnny Johnson track and has anyone else got the Jackie Wilson in the Spanish pic sleeve who could confirm it's the same sleeve even though it qotes a different track on cover ?

Edited by phatspinner
Social source share

Thanks everyone for the info so far, particularly Sean for info.re Jimmy James track, no wonder I couldn't track one down in any guide. Mine hasn't the pic sleeve, does Sean's copy also have the label on wrong side ?

yes.gif

Yes mate, the labels are on the wrong side on mine.

So.... what we have here is a 'Two known copy' - modern day Frank Wilson! biggrin.gif

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

"Yes mate, the labels are on the wrong side on mine.

So.... what we have here is a 'Two known copy' - modern day Frank Wilson! biggrin.gif

Sean"

And Martin hasn't seen a third copy in someone's collection either !!

Oh yes he has :lol:

Picture below is of the copy I just won on e bay for a very modest fee :D

post-3218-1237066817_thumb.jpg

Social source share

All within about a 10 mile radius as well Sean.

That stands to reason Martin. He was living in Retford at the time and did loads of local clubs, around these parts, back then.

Those that had them originally (pre eBay) got them from his local gigs.

Stone rarity mate.

Only 4 known copies.

:lol:

Social source share

I'm not so sure about the picture sleeve, or reversed sides, but if all the other copies are, then mine may well be also :lol:

I do seem to think it came off a local market stall, so the fact that he was living around these parts at the time sounds about right

I'll just go and see if I can find it ....

Edited by John Benson
Social source share

That stands to reason Martin. He was living in Retford at the time and did loads of local clubs, around these parts, back then.

Those that had them originally (pre eBay) got them from his local gigs.

Stone rarity mate.

Only 4 known copies.

wink.gif

Sure I saw him sell 5 copies at St Philips as mentioned earlier.

Here we go again :lol:

Social source share

phatspinner said:
3. Finally, bit easier I think! Johnny Johnson and Bandwagon Strong Love Proud Love from 1974. It's a Biddu production anyone know it or rate it ? Was it issued in US ?

Andy

Johnny_Johnson_Strong_love_proud_love.jpg

Hi Andy, This is the one you asked about - I knew I had it somewhere :D

I was still looking for that Jimmy James EP when I came across it.

(Still yet to 'find' Jimmy though - but I definately do have it... somewhere!)

As you can see, it's another Biddu production and as far as I know, not released in the States.

(The B side is "Fast running out of world")

It's not really one of his better 45s on EMI, I much prefer "All the way" to this one.

But that's just my opinion :lol:

There was a thread on his 45s on here not all that long ago

Social source share

Thanks for all replies everyone on this somewhat South Yorks -centric thread.

I hate mysteries and to tell the truth I'm still somewhat perturbed by the Marie Celeste so I'll be back with more in the near future !

Andy

Thanks for starting such an enjoyable thread Andy albeit a bit Gods own county biased :P

The Jimmy James arrived today & can confirm that the labels are reversed so dread to think what will happen if I ever play it out after a few beers!

Bit baffled as to what's getting played in the instrumental break in Missing You - sounds like 'Comb & Izal' to my ears :D

What label's the Marie Celeste on mate :huh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert