• Replies 116
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Byrney

don,t start on that 1 again it,s been done . but just for you :thumbsup: when you go to a family wedding or party theres allways a group who dance round there handbags to commercial motown or the local wedding djs idea of northern soul . ok . tongue.gif so we tend to label venues that don,t realy stray to far off the track musically .( handbag nights .)

mart

Ah.. Ok, the nostalgia scene. Got you

Social source share

this isn,t the point toad . yes uss is a great night pity it was,nt in a great venue .

sorry mart

but you don't make sense here. the oakley is a brilliant venue,

every venue I did had 200+ and the new years eve bash people did not want

to leave so we carried on till 8-30am.280 can't be wrong. now the oakley has been

handed over to kev spittle and martin one month.followed by niel rushton the next

month. 2 great clubs on alternating months, try it out. seek and you shall find.

so all the best to soulvation and the united sounds of soul... thumbup.gif

swo :P

Social source share

I know Max our do had been booked along with the dj's in the middle of last year which is why we are sticking with our dates, your support was and is really appreciated along with everyone else, unfortunate on this occasion.

Anyway think we've gone a bit off topic so apologies for that, see you all soon.

Sharon

sharon

just read your thread, have you pulled out of the oakley or just changed dates

have not been in contact with ray & maria,to busy setting up new company.

hope all is ok

swoz

Social source share

sharon

just read your thread, have you pulled out of the oakley or just changed dates

have not been in contact with ray & maria,to busy setting up new company.

hope all is ok

swoz

Swoz

Ted's right the Oakley has now ceased trading happened about 3 weeks ago, she hadn't bothered to let us know even though we'd left loads of messages and e-mail's. I got an e-mail off her on Saturday morning saying she thought she had contacted everyone and at least she offered to repay our deposit.

We've now managed to get somewhere else details are on my signature.

Sharon

Social source share

what are you really looking for ?

black country events are doing what the majority want and thats to live in the past with the same djs playing requests

Sounds like they have given up listening to new tunes like they must have done back in the day when they first went and knew nothing! when does that desire stop? unsure.gif

Social source share

black country events are doing what the majority want and thats to live in the past with the same djs playing requests

Sounds like they have given up listening to new tunes like they must have done back in the day when they first went and knew nothing! when does that desire stop? unsure.gif

I'd start going out again if they'd just mix it up a bit - yes play the oldies, but for goodness sake, drop some lesser knowns, newies, anything in to make it not sound like it's a Northern Soul Greatest Hits package. And I do know lots of people try to do this and have tried to do it but for some reason, it just doesn't stick.

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

I'd start going out again if they'd just mix it up a bit - yes play the oldies, but for goodness sake, drop some lesser knowns, newies, anything in to make it not sound like it's a Northern Soul Greatest Hits package. And I do know lots of people try to do this and have tried to do it but for some reason, it just doesn't stick.

Some venues have Pete, The Sunflower Lounge & United Sounds of Soul to name a couple. I haven't made it to The Sunflower Lounge myself but have heard great things about it & USS i've only been to once but it was fabulous! yes.gif I think i knew about 3 records all night which might not mean much coming from me but it's a favourite with Jumping Joan! :P

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Yes we did

Social source share

Guest shaunthesheep

Sounds like they have given up listening to new tunes like they must have done back in the day when they first went and knew nothing! when does that desire stop? :lol:

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO GET AN OLD PERSON TO TRY SOMETHING NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Taf

Social source share

Guest kerby

oh no, its in my blood now :lol:

well pick a night when theres nothing on then . :lol: oh hang on a bit , what about christmas day in santas grotto . :lol:

mart

Edited by kerby
Social source share

Swoz

Ted's right the Oakley has now ceased trading happened about 3 weeks ago, she hadn't bothered to let us know even though we'd left loads of messages and e-mail's. I got an e-mail off her on Saturday morning saying she thought she had contacted everyone and at least she offered to repay our deposit.

We've now managed to get somewhere else details are on my signature.

Sharon

sorry to hear that as I know both clubs would have had the oakley put firmly on the map.

good luck with your new venue

Social source share

I do have a venue if you are all interested ..in fact there are two, medium dance floor 1am finish.would any of you be interested in supporting me on this venture.. dates, well. virtually something on every fri or sat, so it would not matter which date I picked it will clash with sumat or other, that cant be helped I,m afraid, let me know what you think :D

Social source share

I do have a venue if you are all interested ..in fact there are two, medium dance floor 1am finish.would any of you be interested in supporting me on this venture.. dates, well. virtually something on every fri or sat, so it would not matter which date I picked it will clash with sumat or other, that cant be helped I,m afraid, let me know what you think :ohmy:

I'm interested Lou :D but where is it? :D

Social source share

Im confused :shades: every week we try to support our local venues but im getting bored . most of my freinds tend to travel out of the black country to get away from the commercial motown & overplayed culture that seems to be thriving here . . im not talking about mega rare stuff just underplayed tracks that fill the dance floors anywhere else . there are only a hand full of local venues that i really enjoy but of late they have been very quiet .

I love nighters but don,t want to do them every week ............so what,s wrong ? :rolleyes:

mart ( kerby )

You could try this.............

post-8628-1237360215_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Im confused :lol: every week we try to support our local venues but im getting bored . most of my freinds tend to travel out of the black country to get away from the commercial motown & overplayed culture that seems to be thriving here . . im not talking about mega rare stuff just underplayed tracks that fill the dance floors anywhere else . there are only a hand full of local venues that i really enjoy but of late they have been very quiet .

I love nighters but don,t want to do them every week ............so what,s wrong ? frusty2.gif

mart ( kerby )

"I'm confused ....". So am i. Been reading all the posts with interest. When i've got time, i might put on a reply.

Martyn

Social source share

"I'm confused ....". So am i. Been reading all the posts with interest. When i've got time, i might put on a reply.

Martyn

we await with baited breath Mart laugh.gif

if any one is interested i will be playing a Carl and Maria Redemption Room set at Broad Lane tomorrow night

Edited by Tedsoul
Social source share

ok so perhaps i should have said the black country . or drew a map :P & as i travel every day to & from places all over the country the last thing i want to do on a friday & saturday is travel somewhere else . all im saying is some promoters in the ( black country ) are obviously out to make a fast buck . they have venues on every week and are catering for people who don,t have weddings to go to . :ohmy::lol:

mart

Hi ,folks,if any of you ever went to DARLASTON TOWN HALL EVENTS,around 2006, myself,sh......,dr....... .have been lookin for a venue for the last year or so,well i think i found one,sortin at min,wiv the owner, and hopefully,it will be on.As for the midland issue,totally agree,some people forget why they joined a scene that was different to the likes of fck..in mud and the rest of the quangoes.....it was for music,,people,,places,,,an fckin respect for each other,an the places they danced at. politics,,dont make me laff,more like GREED. Well these people who dictate to the midland folk they must be laffin their heads off.Me an people like me say bollocks to ya,an moved out years ago.some folk just plod on an moan... proffit? whats that,just lost a fckin fortune, do see me wingin..NOPE i go to gud places still meet PROPA PEOPLE an dance till me legs drop off,,,.an love it..leave those clubs behind what your talkin about,an let the handbagers av em,,BLACK COUNTRY WILL BE BACK N PROUD..AN SO WILL ENGLAND.. wink.gif ..BURNLEY LAST NITE..Phew..TONITE WHO KNOWS..Burt...from d blackcountry....
Social source share

REALLY ENJOYED THE DARLO NIGHTS

GOOD LUCK WITH GETTING ANOTHER VENUE

thanx mate,all will be revieled soon, ar clan dont av no (im better than you shit,ya all the sermmm dudes..) you are more than welcome owd tertta n the fust pints on drippin..ha x (blak kuntri slang..) :ohmy:
Social source share

Hi ,folks,if any of you ever went to DARLASTON TOWN HALL EVENTS,around 2006, myself,sh......,dr....... .have been lookin for a venue for the last year or so,well i think i found one,sortin at min,wiv the owner, and hopefully,it will be on.As for the midland issue,totally agree,some people forget why they joined a scene that was different to the likes of fck..in mud and the rest of the quangoes.....it was for music,,people,,places,,,an fckin respect for each other,an the places they danced at. politics,,dont make me laff,more like GREED. Well these people who dictate to the midland folk they must be laffin their heads off.Me an people like me say bollocks to ya,an moved out years ago.some folk just plod on an moan... proffit? whats that,just lost a fckin fortune, do see me wingin..NOPE i go to gud places still meet PROPA PEOPLE an dance till me legs drop off,,,.an love it..leave those clubs behind what your talkin about,an let the handbagers av em,,BLACK COUNTRY WILL BE BACK N PROUD..AN SO WILL ENGLAND.. :ohmy: ..BURNLEY LAST NITE..Phew..TONITE WHO KNOWS..Burt...from d blackcountry....

Hope this gets off the ground, Darlo Town Hall was great, and walking distance for me n' the missus!!

Edited by Tiny
Social source share

NITE LIFE PRESENTS

PUT YOUR BEST FOOT FORWARD

AND

DANCE YOUR WAY TO A PERFECT SOUL NITE

@THE WHITE HART

EVESHAM ROAD,HEADLESS CROSS

REDDITCH

B97 5EJ

16th MAY 2009 FROM 8PM TILL LATE

PLAYING THE BEST IN MOTOWN & NORTHERN SOUL

VINYL CARVERS ON THE NIGHT

MARTIN FARMER & SAMMY DEE

GARY DARBY & DEAN CARR

BIG AL & TEZZA

STACEY & KENNY HICKMAN

DAMAGE OTD £5 GOOD SIZE DANCEFLOOR

INFO CONT 07765 100400 OR 07807 255339

Social source share

Guest Sean Haydon

What we need here is a venue, no nonsence, no politics. A club that plays Rare and underplayed yes, but Must be uptempo, dance music. Afterall, isn't that what got us all into it in the first place? It may be rare but it doesn't mean to say it's good. Dj's need to play tunes because they're dancable and not because it's just cost em 2 grand (who cares, the proper people don't). The people on the dance floor are a judge of a club.

It seems that the majority of the people of the Midlands are quite content in going to the run of the mill soul night. Nothing wrong with that if they enjoy themselves. For now, if you you want to listen to new and different stuff and want to Move On, you need to put yourselves out and travel. But be open minded.

Sean

Social source share

I do have a venue if you are all interested ..in fact there are two, medium dance floor 1am finish.would any of you be interested in supporting me on this venture.. dates, well. virtually something on every fri or sat, so it would not matter which date I picked it will clash with sumat or other, that cant be helped I,m afraid, let me know what you think :g:

Goes without saying Lou, you've got my support :D

Social source share

Guest kerby

well thats been a waste of time . i started the thread trying to point out that there were 2 many venues on in the black country , & to try to highlight that some of them might consider mixing a few underplayed ones in to draw the soulies back into them . i also said that some promoters were putting on more than 1 night in a month to cater for the more comercial side . in my mind these venues are keeping potential punters into the northern scene & also putting off soulies going to the local venues who are now struggling on numbers . it wasn,t an invite for more of you to put on venues in an allready declining area . ( come on think about it ) im not posting any more on this thread coz it,s lost it,s way ,

mart

Social source share

well thats been a waste of time . i started the thread trying to point out that there were 2 many venues on in the black country , & to try to highlight that some of them might consider mixing a few underplayed ones in to draw the soulies back into them . i also said that some promoters were putting on more than 1 night in a month to cater for the more comercial side . in my mind these venues are keeping potential punters into the northern scene & also putting off soulies going to the local venues who are now struggling on numbers . it wasn,t an invite for more of you to put on venues in an allready declining area . ( come on think about it ) im not posting any more on this thread coz it,s lost it,s way ,

mart

my thoughts as well Mart

Social source share

mart

hi mart, the fact for me is that ,the venues playing commercial interest me not at all and so may as well not be there. i relish and welcome anyone that puts on a night locally that adheres to a less commercial policy. i support lou/woody (notice i put lou first) :g: and would continue to support them and their policy to introduce unheard/underheard tracks into the area. i dearly hope usos stays local coz it saves me the trip up the m6. if the rarer playing venues put events on on the same night as commercial venues what does it matter? the commercial side wont lose my custom coz they havent had it for some time.people will always choose their venue and if we arbitrarily closed down all the local rarer playing nights it wouldnt bolster the nos of motown venues,people would just travel farther.

Social source share

Guest kerby

hi mart, the fact for me is that ,the venues playing commercial interest me not at all and so may as well not be there. i relish and welcome anyone that puts on a night locally that adheres to a less commercial policy. i support lou/woody (notice i put lou first) :g: and would continue to support them and their policy to introduce unheard/underheard tracks into the area. i dearly hope usos stays local coz it saves me the trip up the m6. if the rarer playing venues put events on on the same night as commercial venues what does it matter? the commercial side wont lose my custom coz they havent had it for some time.people will always choose their venue and if we arbitrarily closed down all the local rarer playing nights it wouldnt bolster the nos of motown venues,people would just travel farther.

bill i did,nt say rare & underplayed . & when i fancy a change i dont mind traveling .

mart

Social source share

bill i did,nt say rare & underplayed . & when i fancy a change i dont mind traveling .

mart

. "im not talking about mega rare stuff just underplayed tracks that fill the dance floors anywhere else "

hi mart not to be pedantic but underplayed appears in yr opening statement. :D Im not criticising this topic but the way to a more populated commercial night is to cut down on the commercial nights. venues stretching the boudaries should be welcomed into the midlands so that those that wont travel and are bored can at least hear something new. oh... i know you travel so pls dont be sensitive ,not aimed at you :g:

Social source share

mart

guys, this is wot the problem is,your all goin against each other ...for wot..nowt really! u go to a nite that u enjoy,,music,people,etc.not no body else..and people who think like you.PHUUF!!!!!!!! :g: (fekin taliban,get every weer.) they,ll be there..not the peeps who tell ya to b ther...

Its like the 2 lads av just said, GUD SOUL MUSIC....LETS DANCE,......... Any way the venues in me celler...proppa place. Doctors note to get out..post-11211-1237761340_thumb.jpg This woz ar last play list;;awesome wen ya stoned...xxburt.

Social source share

I do have a venue if you are all interested ..in fact there are two, medium dance floor 1am finish.would any of you be interested in supporting me on this venture.. dates, well. virtually something on every fri or sat, so it would not matter which date I picked it will clash with sumat or other, that cant be helped I,m afraid, let me know what you think :thumbsup:

Hi mrs soul.sos just red your note....what support would you need,etc..if you want to talk in private mail,or what ever they call it..cheers.Burt..

Social source share

What we need here is a venue, no nonsence, no politics. A club that plays Rare and underplayed yes, but Must be uptempo, dance music. Afterall, isn't that what got us all into it in the first place? It may be rare but it doesn't mean to say it's good. Dj's need to play tunes because they're dancable and not because it's just cost em 2 grand (who cares, the proper people don't). The people on the dance floor are a judge of a club.

It seems that the majority of the people of the Midlands are quite content in going to the run of the mill soul night. Nothing wrong with that if they enjoy themselves. For now, if you you want to listen to new and different stuff and want to Move On, you need to put yourselves out and travel. But be open minded.

Sean

Got to agree with most of what you're saying Shaun."The people on the dance floor are a judge of a club." just about sums it up!

I don't want to dance to the top 100 Northern Soul oldies,by the the same token I don't wish to stand on the edge of the dance floor waiting to hear a record that I know! I like hearing new tunes but like the idea of them mixed with current biggies and great underplayed oldies.

One of the best local do's I have been to in a long time was the all-nighter at Bishops Wood last summer (you was there, remember offering you a lift home!),played a great mix of current all-nighter sounds, oldies and some underplayed oldies. I haven't been there since, but intend to!

I don't get out every weekend due to work and other interests (surfing and West Ham Utd, strange mix!), but when I do I want to dance, not think "oh no, not this again".

Hope this makes sence, as tonight I have been mostly drinking Red wine!!! And tomorrow I'm off surfing!!!

Col.

Edited by Tiny
Social source share

Guest kerby

Got to agree with most of what you're saying Shaun."The people on the dance floor are a judge of a club." just about sums it up!

I don't want to dance to the top 100 Northern Soul oldies,by the the same token I don't wish to stand on the edge of the dance floor waiting to hear a record that I know! I like hearing new tunes but like the idea of them mixed with current biggies and great underplayed oldies.

One of the best local do's I have been to in a long time was the all-nighter at Bishops Wood last summer (you was there, remember offering you a lift home!),played a great mix of current all-nighter sounds, oldies and some underplayed oldies. I haven't been there since, but intend to!

I don't get out every weekend due to work and other interests (surfing and West Ham Utd, strange mix!), but when I do I want to dance, not think "oh no, not this again".

Hope this makes sence, as tonight I have been mostly drinking Red wine!!! And tomorrow I'm off surfing!!!

Col.

perfect sence tiny . thats what i,ve been trying to say . thanks

mart

Social source share

Cheers for the mention in an earlier thread , together with Aggie I used to put soul nites on down in the cellar at the Connaught ,in the 80s , we had some good nites looking back with a good mix of Dj s. We used to have either Harpo or Pep and another guest sometimes Jonny Beggs or Dave Evison (sure we had Esher from the 86 club too,) which would guarantee a few from the Stoke area and a good mix of music . Aggie was more into his Catacombs and Torch classics and i was Casino boy so we had a real cross section . good memories cheers for jolting them ...Paddy Jennings

perfect sence tiny . thats what i,ve been trying to say . thanks

mart

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert