• Replies 57
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest andrew bin

Heard this for the first time in a long time this morning sounded absolutley fantastic especially the backing wonder if there are any more versions

lovely track :boxing:

Social source share

It's a great song - I have (separate) Reggae versions by Slim Smith (1971), Owen Gray (1968), Freddie McGregor (c. 1982) and Dread Flimstone & the Modern Tone Age Family (1991)...

...as well as the Georgie Fame and Billy Stewart workouts.

I thought Wilfred 'Jackie' Edwards had recorded it as well - if he did, it's passed my collection by ...

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

It's a great song - I have (separate) Reggae versions by Slim Smith (1971), Owen Gray (1968), Freddie McGregor (c. 1982) and Dread Flimstone & the Modern Tone Age Family (1991)...

...as well as the Georgie Fame and Billy Stewart workouts.

I thought Wilfred 'Jackie' Edwards had recorded it as well - if he did, it's passed my collection by ...

any chance of a clip of slim smith or owen gray version :boxing:

Social source share

Heard this for the first time in a long time this morning sounded absolutley fantastic especially the backing wonder if there are any more versions

================================================================================

=====

Hi Ted i grew up in the next Street to Clive Powell ( Georgie Fame ) our back gate was straight across from his,

his mum and my Grandma where best friends never forget he knocked the Beatles off the Number 1 spot with his hit

Yeh Yeh and he gave me a signed photo to Ian which ive still got somewhere :boxing:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Cheers some how i prefer Georgie fame's both brilliant though

:boxing:ohmy.gifohmy.gif:D:yes::no::ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

How can anyone favour Georgie Fame's lukewarm cover version of this Billy Stewart SOUL CLASSIC???!

Social source share

Guest Bogue

ohmy.gifohmy.gif:D:yes::no::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

How can anyone favour Georgie Fame's lukewarm cover version of this Billy Stewart SOUL CLASSIC???!

Was thinking the same :yes: ...The original & the greatest...but not the up to datest :boxing:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

every one is entiltled to their own opinion get of your high horse :boxing: just happen to like Geogie since i saw him at the Le Metro all those years ago

Sorry if you're upset, but I'm genuinely shocked. Billy Stewart is one of my all-time favourite records!

It all goes back to a seminal moment in my own Soul history which occurred when I was a 15 year-old engineering apprentice. One of the older lads Rob was something of a mod and brought his portable record player to the work's Christmas party, along with a handful of records. All I remember is that he played "Boogaloo Party", Otis Redding's "Hard To Handle" and a UK Chess copy of Billy Stewart.

I went particularly wild over Billy Stewart because I'd only heard the Georgie Fame version previously. (Same with Barbara Acklin "Am I The Same Girl" - I'd bought Dusty Springfield's OK version!) I'd grown up seeing Georgie Fame and the UK beat groups on TV and liked them well enough, but later on I really resented the fact that I'd been denied hearing the original versions of "Go Now" etc. by a partisan BBC. (I'm still catching up in some cases!)

Georgie Fame's version isn't BAD in itself (I have it in iTunes), and it has it's own nice touches, but emotionally it's not a patch on Billy Stewart. Neither are any of the other versions (IMO!) smile.gif

Social source share

I think i prefer the backing track on the Georgie Fame version but prefer the vocal on the Billy Stewart version :rolleyes:

Speaking of Georgie Fame covers, i actually prefer his version of "Sweet Thing" to the Spinners version, will i get my coat? unsure.gif

Well worth checking out is GF's " Rhythm and Blues at the Flamingo " album ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I used to be a bit resentful of the fact that Georgie had the hit with it and that Billy Stewart couldn't get a look in over here, but over the course of the last 40-odd years I've come to realise that, in all honesty, there's not really a lot to separate the two versions in terms of quality and sincerity...

...Unlike the two versions of "Go Now", where the Moody Blues' brilliant rendition is much better than Bessie Banks turgid exercise in overemotion :huh:yes.gif:P:P:thumbsup:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

I read an interview with Elton John, back in the 70s, when he talked about his time backing visiting soul artists in the 60s. He was backing Billy Stewart one night and when he started "Sitting in the park" a young mod in the crowd started shouting out Georgie Fame's name, whereupon Billy jumped from the stage and chased the lad out of the club. I'd love to have seen that - Billy wasn't a small man!

Nick

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Sitting in the park imo is the best song ever..oh and all who have recorded this wonderful song sound great..but you just gotta pic Billys rendition as#1.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

a guy who made many great records.

...as did Georgie Fame, who never made one as awful as "Summertime" either! thumbup.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

He was backing Billy Stewart one night and when he started "Sitting in the park" a young mod in the crowd started shouting out Georgie Fame's name, whereupon Billy jumped from the stage and chased the lad out of the club. I'd love to have seen that - Billy wasn't a small man!

Nick

:D:ohmy::lol:(...and I hope he caught him!) boxing.gif:shades:

Dave Godin once told me that Elton John (as Reggie Dwight) was a regular visitor to the Soul City record shop, but always went for the female vocalists. He (Godin) reckoned that Elton modeled his singing style on the black girls, whereas Rod Stewart modeled his act on male R&B singers. Elton had played backing with Patty Labelle & her Belles several times, apparently.

Social source share

Guest newone

...as did Georgie Fame, who never made one as awful as "Summertime" either! :shades:

what about that awful song about jarrow marches rolleyes.gif billy stewart any day

Social source share

Guest newone

rolleyes.gif

Yeh... except that was Alan Price - not Georgie! :ohmy:

Truth is, I always used to mix them up too! :D

But I'm with you... Billy Stewart.... by several stone! :lol:

Sean

yep must be twins seperated at birth :shades:

Social source share

boxing.gif Hi Ted this tune is a standard and there are quite a few I remember Cilla Black singing it on her show late 6ts Etta James did it on Chess i will try and researc this one as for Goegy Boy its the best version and if you got his live at the Flamingo LP? heres the DK link I saw Billy Stewart there in 68 singing this classic song :) DAVE KIL

Social source share

Guest Raywebster

I saw Georgie Fame in the 70's on a night out at Bailey's in Derby and he was crap. :yes: His records were ok, rolleyes.gif but i didn't rate his live performance. I might have caught him on a bad night but i wasn't the only one complaining. Regarding "Sitting in the Park" didn't Major Lance do a version, i know some famous Soul singer did.

Ray.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Rosetta are you better, are you well,well,well ?........Well?

Not saying that "Rosetta" was either Fame or Price;s finest hour but If your argument is that this is in any way worse than "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrop-chic-poppop-a-poppop-HAH", then it's just failed.

Miserably.....

Social source share

I've just started to collate information about one of my mates, Gerry Kenny aka The Minister Of Noise, Sir Freddie Viadukt etc with a view to writing his biography and as I have done so I have found that Gerry used to play in the 60's for a band from Leigh (Lancashire) named 'The Beat Boys'.

Here they are:

GERRY3.jpg

Check Georgie out second left, his first band.

Leigh-Boy and proud of it.

Social source share

I've just started to collate information about one of my mates, Gerry Kenny aka The Minister Of Noise, Sir Freddie Viadukt etc with a view to writing his biography and as I have done so I have found that Gerry used to play in the 60's for a band from Leigh (Lancashire) named 'The Beat Boys'.

Here they are:

GERRY3.jpg

Check Georgie out second left, his first band.

Leigh-Boy and proud of it.

1963 for the lads that care.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

1963 for the lads that care.

Surely this is a late 50s photo, Barry?

GF was already fronting the Blue Flames in '63, and that's when that group's first record came out on indie label R & B.

"R & B At the Flamingo" came out in '64, so if this is '63 then he aged about 5 years overnight on that album's cover...

...great pic, though! :lol:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Surley this is a late 50s photo, Barry?

GF was already fronting the Blue Flames in '63, and that's when that group's first record came out on indie label R & B.

"R & B At the Flamingo" came out in '64, so if this is '63 then he aged about 5 years overnight on that album's cover...

...great pic, though! :lol:

Clive Powell ( GF ) played in a Leigh based band - The Dominoes - in 1958 , so is the photograph of them , and dating from that time ? .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Clive Powell ( GF ) played in a Leigh based band - The Dominoes - in 1958 , so is the photograph of them , and dating from that time ? .........

Malc Burton

That would make sense, Malc - he looks about 15 here, which he would have been (or thereabouts) in '58....

Social source share

That would make sense, Malc - he looks about 15 here, which he would have been (or thereabouts) in '58....

After The Dominoes , he played with / for Rory Blackwell in Rory & The Blackjacks in 1959 , at the age of 16 ......

I thought it might be them if not The Dominoes , but neither of the guitarists looks like RB , after checking a website photograph of him , so it would seem it was The Dominoes .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

...great pic, though! :thumbsup:

Would it have been this one Tony?

From Tapir's:

JB 113 Clive & Gloria With The Blue Flames - Change Of Plan // Little Gloria

From my UK 7 - no mention of the Blue Flames (and no aural sign on "Gloria", though musically (my fading memory suggests) it sounds like them.

Have a listen...

https://www.box.net/shared/4bkm06rr76

I wonder who "Clive" and "Gloria" were...

JB113-A.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert