New Manship Site

One thing I certainly miss on the new site is the fact that you could listen to many out-of-stock items on the old site. It doesn't seem to be the case on the new site.

Nowhere on the internet could you find such an extensive archive of recorded soul sounds. I am sorry but youtube, soul-source etc together does not cover as many titles.

Edited by Preben
Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

One thing I certainly miss on the new site is the fact that you could listen to many out-of-stock items on the old site. It doesn't seem to be the case on the new site.

Nowhere on the internet could you find such an extensive archive of recorded soul sounds. I am sorry but youtube, soul-source etc together does not cover as many titles.

its the same address?

M

Social source share

soul-source etc together does not cover as many titles.

SO WHATS YOUR POINT ?

MANY ON HERE CONTRIBUTE TO REFOSOUL, AND IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME TO CONVERT AND LOAD THEM UP, THEY DO IT BECAUSE THEY WANT TO AND I FOR ONE AM GLAD THEY DO

Social source share

New site launches on April 2nd. along with the Frank Wilson on Soul for auction.

As for playing records that are out of stock, we decided to stop allowing this over two years ago, because we have been preparing and will launch soon, a subscription part of the site, purely dedicated to valuations, sales history, see and hear, along with definitive scans and matrix details of bootlegs and originals, release years, full LP track listings etc etc. everything the curious collector or dealer needs to know.

But we are waiting to hit 250,000 listings to kick it off, we are a little short of that at the moment but it'll be soon and it'll be cheap and you can play and see whatever you want to see not just what's in stock at any time.. If we have entered a listing you'll be able to read it..only about 45% can you see, read or hear at the moment, not many collectors have worked out, if any title of an artist is in stock, the site will reveal all in & out of stock listings. If all 45s by an artist are out of stock, the site will show no results at all.

With an average of 12 million plus hits per month on a site, and collectors playing stuff for fun unfortunately adds up to monster bandwidth charges with no sales advantage, whatsoever. We have resisted the banner advertising route, to keep out site "clean" and easy to navigate.

Hope that answers the question on product available to see and hear.

John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

SO WHATS YOUR POINT ?

MANY ON HERE CONTRIBUTE TO REFOSOUL, AND IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME TO CONVERT AND LOAD THEM UP, THEY DO IT BECAUSE THEY WANT TO AND I FOR ONE AM GLAD THEY DO

Don't misunderstand me. I am pointing out soul-source and youtube because they are two of the most useful resources for sound clips for me after Manship's archive. I love Resoul, but it is not as extensive as Manship's archive. So many times when I have have been curious about a tune, and it was nowhere else to be found, I could peep it on Manships' site.

On refosoul you get the full song and in better quality so I definitely love it, but I am going to miss that feature of being able to listen to all the out-of-stock items at Manship's site because he has the biggest archive.

Social source share

https://raresoulman.co.uk/

takes you to the new site.

Just had a quick look around. It would be great if there would be an option to view results as a "list" or as a "gallery". The gallery view is OK for the more obscure artists and labels with maybe 3-10 releases, but do a search for Solomon Burke or a "label" search for Atlantic and it unfortunately looks very messy.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Just had a quick look around. It would be great if there would be an option to view results as a "list" or as a "gallery". The gallery view is OK for the more obscure artists and labels with maybe 3-10 releases, but do a search for Solomon Burke or a "label" search for Atlantic and it unfortunately looks very messy.

I was thinking the same... on Johns site (old one) you can bring up 100 records at a time and look at the list.. on the new one it is 36..

I always get fed up with looking on Pat Bradys web site for this reason his only has 10 a page..

apart from that .. looks good.. wink.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

New site launches on April 2nd. along with the Frank Wilson on Soul for auction.

As for playing records that are out of stock, we decided to stop allowing this over two years ago, because we have been preparing and will launch soon, a subscription part of the site, purely dedicated to valuations, sales history, see and hear, along with definitive scans and matrix details of bootlegs and originals, release years, full LP track listings etc etc. everything the curious collector or dealer needs to know.

But we are waiting to hit 250,000 listings to kick it off, we are a little short of that at the moment but it'll be soon and it'll be cheap and you can play and see whatever you want to see not just what's in stock at any time.. If we have entered a listing you'll be able to read it..only about 45% can you see, read or hear at the moment, not many collectors have worked out, if any title of an artist is in stock, the site will reveal all in & out of stock listings. If all 45s by an artist are out of stock, the site will show no results at all.

With an average of 12 million plus hits per month on a site, and collectors playing stuff for fun unfortunately adds up to monster bandwidth charges with no sales advantage, whatsoever. We have resisted the banner advertising route, to keep out site "clean" and easy to navigate.

Hope that answers the question on product available to see and hear.

John

...Are the records any cheaper on the new site, John? laugh.gif:yes::lol:

Social source share

Looks to me like the https://raresoulman.co.uk is purely a work in progress.

The web company should, perhaps, have done the development under a separate Development URL (ideally password protected) to stop confusion.

Looks pretty good thus far, although I really liked the old site and with next generation stuff you've got to be careful you don't inadvertently throw the baby out with the bath water as regards brand image / look & feel.

Am sure it will be a winner once its 'live'.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

No it doesn't. I'm still on the old site for both web address

I have a feeling that something has been changed. I am not getting into the new site any longer. Now it automatically redirects me to www.

Social source share

I hope that the web developing team behind the new "look" of Manship's site is getting input from a group of people who actually uses his site on a regular basis, as to not scare away too many users when the new design is up and running.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

SO WHATS YOUR POINT ?

Here here Tim I am glad they do too.

Suz

x

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

John

I'll be visiting but i've got a feeling the site might crash with the number of visitors seeing the Frank Wilson kick off. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I hope that the web developing team behind the new "look" of Manship's site is getting input from a group of people who actually uses his site on a regular basis, as to not scare away too many users when the new design is up and running.

Sebastian,

Great idea, we were thinking of giving access to the NEW SITE 3 weeks before launch, to 5 regular users to go through, mess around with and give feedback directly to us. We are going to discuss this idea today, if the site designers think this may be helpful, do you want to have a play?

john

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Sebastian,

Great idea, we were thinking of giving access to the NEW SITE 3 weeks before launch, to 5 regular users to go through, mess around with and give feedback directly to us. We are going to discuss this idea today, if the site designers think this may be helpful, do you want to have a play?

john

I'd do it if there were new site special offers for early users  :lol:

Social source share

Sure thing, I'm up for it. :lol: Will send you a PM.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert