Who Goes? You Decide

Guest outonthefloor

Guest outonthefloor

Lots of promoters and Dj's refer to 'playing to the floor' in numerous threads and talk about 'giving the punter what they want', but what does this actually mean?

I think it does depend on the crowd your night attracts and whether it is a niter crowd or a local soul nite. Local nites do attract a more eclectic crowd and depending on the venue and area may also be patronised by curious locals etc too. When I moaned about 'Duffy' being played at a soul nite once I was told that they were giving the paying punter what they wanted, as if that made it ok!

I don't want to turn this in to a debate on the pro's and con's of Duffy but just ask where would it end? At a recent do in Essex a DJ was asked to play 'Lady in Red' (not by Ronnie Dyson before you ask) by a paying punter at a soul nite ......should he have played it??

I suppose it depends how you advertise and promote your event as to who you attract but as do's become more desperate for punters the question is do you water down your music policy to please the lowest common denominator or do you risk an empty floor once in a while in the hope that people will get up and dance to the tunes the next time?

I think it comes down to the conversation in another thread about the skill of a DJ playing well known and lesser known tunes in a way that keeps people on the floor. My opinion for what it's worth, set your stall out and keep at it, rather than give in or eventually you will be spinning baby love and Red light spells danger to a room full of locals as the soulies who want to hear something different migrate to other do's that give them what they want. I travel to the do's I like or try new ones that other people I respect recommend to me. If I don't like them I don't go back. Should I be allowed to demand that a do play what I want to dance to to save me having to travel around the country? Should your do adapt to what people want or try and attract the people who want what they are selling?

So my question is....how much influence should the paying punter have on the music policy?

Should they be able to make a nite what they want because it's on their door step or should the promoters stick with it and let punter travel to the do's that have the music policy they like?

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

So my question is....how much influence should the paying punter have on the music policy?

Can of worms my friend--

but if you have a regular event some people come to hear the records that are BIG there

at the Hollingwood Hotel a few years back I always tried to squeeze in one or two newer sounds into my last set and then rotate them up the play list from my earlier spot, but the most Instant record in that club was Drizabone "Presure" which was played as a brand new release there.

trouble is as a DJ you are seen as predictable at your own venue, but the punters HAVE to leave happy so they will come back next month.

No real answer to it

Rob

Social source share

The best way forward is for the promoter to decide whats best for the punters :thumbup: ..

Keeps out the divs ph34r.gif

Some would say that mid tempo/ underplayed is watering down the music policy and not Duffy :thumbup: ..

Who is right and who is wrong... No answer really..

You can only vote with your feet..

God bless you all xx

Social source share

Agreed Rob. I slipped a couple of recent purchases into the middle of my first set at Capone's on Saturday, but went back to tried and trusted to set the floor up for our guest DJ.

I played these, more in a 70s mode than normal:

Rufus and Roots - Caught up - T-Jaye empty floor

Step by Step - I always wanted to be in the band - Sp Zafiro - no US 45 unless anyone knows better - empty floor, but one guy came and asked what it was

The New Group - Love can't be modernised - Gemini 2 dancers!

Nice to be able to play them out though.

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Agreed Rob. I slipped a couple of recent purchases into the middle of my first set at Capone's on Saturday, but went back to tried and trusted to set the floor up for our guest DJ.

Step by Step - I always wanted to be in the band - Sp Zafiro - no US 45 unless anyone knows better - empty floor, but one guy came and asked what it was

Cheers

Paul

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Paul

That bloke who asked you what it was will go away and listen to the tune again n maybe next time he hears it out he will get on the floor.

Also, just because I'm not dancing doesnt mean Im not listening. I love hearing a new tune that makes me wanna ask 'who is this?'

At lifeline I heard that Tony Owens tune, you gotta pay the price...I had to ask at least 5 people what it was before someone knew and even more before someone could tell me the year..(thank you Des Parker) To me there's no feeling like it!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Far too amny soulies with different taste to keep everyone happy at most nightss/nighters so i think the comment used about keeping the paying punter happy is bolox its about keeping the handbaggers happy biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Far too amny soulies with different taste to keep everyone happy at most nightss/nighters so i think the comment used about keeping the paying punter happy is bolox its about keeping the handbaggers happy biggrin.gif

Many a true word spoken in jest Paul

Social source share

Cheers

Paul

The new Group - Great record- been after one for a few years noW

Play what you want with a little sprinkling of classics and you should be fine!

Social source share

Make sure YOU love the music that you play and that you RESPECT the dj's that you book and allow them to do their thing. Thats how a venue develops personality. Otherwise you have a bunch of boxed in punters asking for the same old same old and (unlike back in the day) getting no exposure to great tunes that they dont yet know. Consequently becoming a nostalgia crowd who forget that they once danced to stuff they didn't know........and enjoyed it! smile.gif

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Make sure YOU love the music that you play and that you RESPECT the dj's that you book and allow them to do their thing. Thats how a venue develops personality. Otherwise you have a bunch of boxed in punters asking for the same old same old and (unlike back in the day) getting no exposure to great tunes that they dont yet know. Consequently becoming a nostalgia crowd who forget that they once danced to stuff they didn't know........and enjoyed it! :thumbup:

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Make sure YOU love the music that you play and that you RESPECT the dj's that you book and allow them to do their thing. Thats how a venue develops personality. Otherwise you have a bunch of boxed in punters asking for the same old same old and (unlike back in the day) getting no exposure to great tunes that they dont yet know. Consequently becoming a nostalgia crowd who forget that they once danced to stuff they didn't know........and enjoyed it! smile.gif

Spot on

I would like to say that I have NEVER not returned to a venue because the dance floor was empty but i have rejected a few because the music was not to my taste.

Has anyone on here ever been influenced by the fullness of the dancefloor or is it only something promoters worry about?

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Spot on

I would like to say that I have NEVER not returned to a venue because the dance floor was empty but i have rejected a few because the music was not to my taste.

Has anyone on here ever been influenced by the fullness of the dancefloor or is it only something promoters worry about?

apparently to some the dance floor being full is what its all about huh.gif i thought it was the music personally that this scene was all about :thumbup:

Social source share

Cheers

Paul

That was me... THAT WAS ME, ME, ME!!

I asked you about that tune as I liked it. On an Italian or Spanish release???

When I'd finished my conversation I asked you about it.

I didn't dance to it, I was talking. It's not always about the floor...

p.s Got a spare? wink.gif

Social source share

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Paul

That bloke who asked you what it was will go away and listen to the tune again n maybe next time he hears it out he will get on the floor.

Also, just because I'm not dancing doesnt mean Im not listening. I love hearing a new tune that makes me wanna ask 'who is this?'

At lifeline I heard that Tony Owens tune, you gotta pay the price...I had to ask at least 5 people what it was before someone knew and even more before someone could tell me the year..(thank you Des Parker) To me there's no feeling like it!

That BLOKE was me....ME, ME, ME!!!!!

Social source share

Make sure YOU love the music that you play and that you RESPECT the dj's that you book and allow them to do their thing. Thats how a venue develops personality. Otherwise you have a bunch of boxed in punters asking for the same old same old and (unlike back in the day) getting no exposure to great tunes that they dont yet know. Consequently becoming a nostalgia crowd who forget that they once danced to stuff they didn't know........and enjoyed it! :thumbup:

Sums it up perfectly for me thumbup.gif .....I wish I'd said it :thumbup:

Social source share

Cheers

Paul

Paul... I didn't know and can't find any of these...I like that, gives me something new to do!

Social source share

Paul... I didn't know and can't find any of these...I like that, gives me something new to do!

Well that was the idea behind playing them and to hear how they sounded out good and loud.

Don't think any of them are that easy to come by and hadn't noticed them listed before.

Nice to meet you by the way!

Social source share

Spot on

I think the point here was that some "punters" who arrived fairly late decided to leave and had their door tax refunded. They probably won't come back. I think they came following the Orsett do last week and were expecting perhaps more of the same, which they weren't going to get at Capones. But a lack of atmosphere due to an empty floor for the best part of half an hour made up their minds for them. Shame really as they might have made more of an effort if the music had been slightly different and been potential new Northern blood.

Social source share

Well that was the idea behind playing them and to hear how they sounded out good and loud.

Don't think any of them are that easy to come by and hadn't noticed them listed before.

Nice to meet you by the way!

Yeh! Nice to meet you too. Now....are you gonna sell me those records???

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

I think the point here was that some "punters" who arrived fairly late decided to leave and had their door tax refunded. They probably won't come back. I think they came following the Orsett do last week and were expecting perhaps more of the same, which they weren't going to get at Capones. But a lack of atmosphere due to an empty floor for the best part of half an hour made up their minds for them. Shame really as they might have made more of an effort if the music had been slightly different and been potential new Northern blood.

This post was not a direct response to the Capones thread although it did remind me that i have had this conversation many times before. Usually it is used as an excuse to be lazy and play s**te in my opinion although obviously not in all cases.

Ive seen Dj's stick on Wade in the water etc just so they can keep the floor full and then say, well the floor decides, punters choice etc etc....and I dont agree with this. If you have to play Frank Wilson to keep em in the door then do you change the music policy to keep the punters that you have or stick to you guns and let em leave if thats their choice. Maybe in this case they would enjoy somewhere else better, Almost Grown perhaps? Or is it punters at any cost?

Im not knocking any do inparticular just dont think an empty dancrfloor has ever put me off as i said.

My question stands really. Who dictates the music policy the Dj or the punter and if it is the punter where do you draw the line?

BTW By the look of the photos I think that guy needs the fashion police never mind the soul police!!!! lolol xx

Social source share

Assuming this thread picks up on honest comments made on our Lookbacks from saturday's Capone's, I told it like I saw it, end of. We've had nights that kicked off early and stayed that way through to the end, that's exactly what I posted on Lookbacks at the time.

Saturday's event didn't in my opinion have that buzz all night long as it dipped in the last quarter. That elusive magic dust that makes a night an absolute belter was somehow missing. We have set high standards for ourselves in South Essex and it will not always work perfectly, that's impossible.

Hence my reflections based on my view as a punter who was there.

Don't quite get the premise that the amount of dancefloor activity is entirely irrelevant huh.gif

Taff, punter and promoter amongst other things :yes:

p.s. if this is wrong, Mods please post "it was brilliant" in place of my original response :lol:

Social source share

If somebody asked me to play Duffy I'd play it the next record. But I don't own a copy so it wouldn't happen. I'm a firm believer that if someone has paid to enter a club and ask for something. Then they're entitled to hear it if you've got it in your box. If you don't believe in a record it shouldn't be in your box. I also get a fantastic feeling when I've carried a tune for a few months and haven't found the right time to drop it in then all of a a sudden the time's right. Grin grin grin! Phew glad I played that. I swell up with A GREAT BIG WARM FEELING.

Good music is good music.

A good dj is a good dj.

Not much else in it really. Enjoy.

Kev

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Assuming this thread picks up on honest comments made on our Lookbacks from saturday's Capone's, I told it like I saw it, end of. We've had nights that kicked off early and stayed that way through to the end, that's exactly what I posted on Lookbacks at the time.

Saturday's event didn't in my opinion have that buzz all night long as it dipped in the last quarter. That elusive magic dust that makes a night an absolute belter was somehow missing. We have set high standards for ourselves in South Essex and it will not always work perfectly, that's impossible.

Hence my reflections based on my view as a punter who was there.

Don't quite get the premise that the amount of dancefloor activity is entirely irrelevant huh.gif

Taff, punter and promoter amongst other things :yes:

p.s. if this is wrong, Mods please post "it was brilliant" in place of my original response :lol:

Actually i thought your post was surprisingly honest and reminded me of other conversations i have had around this point with Kev Such, Mark A, Kev Kent, Bearsy, Dr Pickles etc thats all...

Believe it or not it isnt all about you!

I dont believe i said that dance floor activity was entirely irrelevent just asked the question whether it was the only consideration.

Still dont think ive found an answer to my question...maybe there isnt one.

Feet decide in the end i suppose.

Edited by outonthefloor
Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

If somebody asked me to play Duffy I'd play it the next record. But I don't own a copy so it wouldn't happen. I'm a firm believer that if someone has paid to enter a club and ask for something. Then they're entitled to hear it if you've got it in your box. If you don't believe in a record it shouldn't be in your box. I also get a fantastic feeling when I've carried a tune for a few months and haven't found the right time to drop it in then all of a a sudden the time's right. Grin grin grin! Phew glad I played that. I swell up with A GREAT BIG WARM FEELING.

Good music is good music.

A good dj is a good dj.

Not much else in it really. Enjoy.

Kev

So in answer to 'where do you draw the line?' is the line your taste? A fair point.

A dj asked me what i wanted to hear once and i said anything but Frank Wilson! they replied indignantly, "do you think i carry that!!!" so i guess you are right.

I wouldnt go to a do that played Duffy end of ,but there are plenty who would so again i suppose feet decide.

Good music is good music but if you ask 10 people what good music is you'd get 10 different answers so thats the problem.

Edited by outonthefloor
Social source share

An interesting topic, Helen. I can look at this from three perspectives 1. I’m a dancer and want to hear good tunes played that rock my boat (old and new, it doesn’t matter to me, as long as they’re good), 2. I’m a collector and love it if people dig my taste in music and actually show appreciation (clap, ask about the tune, dance etc) and 3. I’m a promoter and want to put on nights that please the majority of the punters I attract coz I want them coming back. 

Three different perspectives but whichever one you fall into - you want a bloody good night. 

I’ve been to half empty dos with excellent, excellent music and had a great time coz the tunes have been superb (I’ve run my fair share of these LOL). I’ve been to packed dos that play oldy, oldy oldies and had a great time coz the atmosphere was buzzing. 

I’m in the camp that says a dj should be both a leader and a follower. My stock rule for djing is if you don’t clear the floor at least 3 times during your set you’re boring and playing it too safe BUT you’ve got to be able to bring ‘em back when you want to. A dj should F*** with people’s minds a bit and also massage their temples with some choice goodies. An empty floor for more than 20 mins is incompetence (IMHO) - someone unwilling or, even worse unable to control the crowd. 

Intelligent djs (unfortunately not enough around) should play to the ears, mind, heart and feet. Good djs scan the room for what they should play, what goodies the punters need to hear and what they can get away with. 

And before you ask, yes I’ll still be clearing floors with me Latin for quite a few years before I decide I’m flogging a dead horse. Actually some of the most popular spins at Boogaloo on Sat night were the Latin tunes. So there.  biggrin.gif

Edited by boogaloo
Social source share

An interesting topic, Helen. I can look at this from three perspectives 1. I'm a dancer and want to hear good tunes played that rock my boat (old and new, it doesn't matter to me, as long as they're good), 2. I'm a collector and love it if people dig my taste in music and actually show appreciation (clap, ask about the tune, dance etc) and 3. I'm a promoter and want to put on nights that please the majority of the punters I attract coz I want them coming back.

Three different perspectives but whichever one you fall into - you want a bloody good night.

I've been to half empty dos with excellent, excellent music and had a great time coz the tunes have been superb (I've run my fair share of these LOL). I've been to packed dos that play oldy, oldy oldies and had a great time coz the atmosphere was buzzing.

I'm in the camp that says a dj should be both a leader and a follower. My stock rule for djing is if you don't clear the floor at least 3 times during your set you're boring and playing it too safe BUT you've got to be able to bring 'em back when you want to. A dj should F*** with people's minds a bit and also massage their temples with some choice goodies. An empty floor for more than 20 mins is incompetence (IMHO) - someone unwilling or, even worse unable to control the crowd.

Intelligent djs (unfortunately not enough around) should play to the ears, mind, heart and feet. Good djs scan the room for what they should play, what goodies the punters need to hear and what they can get away with.

And before you ask, yes I'll still be clearing floors with me Latin for quite a few years before I decide I'm flogging a dead horse. Actually some of the most popular spins at Boogaloo on Sat night were the Latin tunes. So there. :yes:

thumbsup.gif

Russ

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

if you've advertised the music policy correctly enough then the paying punter shouldn't have any real influence over the music policy .

Social source share

Try going to a rock n roll night,reggae night,trance night ,and tell 'em they've got it wrong. biggrin.gif

Find out what a venue does,if you like it ,go,if you don't ,then don't.!!

Most venues ad themselves well.Easy to spot the 100mph niters from the more laid back nights,from the R n B nights.

If you go somewhere and the music's not to your taste,maybe you've got it wrong.

Then again i spend half the night talking ,a quarter dancing, the rest listening and looking thru sales boxes....so what do i know.

Last thing,i've been to many soul nights over the years and had a fantastic night without stepping foot on the dancefloor.

Social source share

An interesting topic, Helen. I can look at this from three perspectives 1. I'm a dancer and want to hear good tunes played that rock my boat (old and new, it doesn't matter to me, as long as they're good), 2. I'm a collector and love it if people dig my taste in music and actually show appreciation (clap, ask about the tune, dance etc) and 3. I'm a promoter and want to put on nights that please the majority of the punters I attract coz I want them coming back.

I've been to half empty dos with excellent, excellent music and had a great time coz the tunes have been superb (I've run my fair share of these LOL). I've been to packed dos that play oldy, oldy oldies and had a great time coz the atmosphere was buzzing.

I'm in the camp that says a dj should be both a leader and a follower. My stock rule for djing is if you don't clear the floor at least 3 times during your set you're boring and playing it too safe BUT you've got to be able to bring 'em back when you want to. A dj should F*** with people's minds a bit and also massage their temples with some choice goodies. An empty floor for more than 20 mins is incompetence (IMHO) - someone unwilling or, even worse unable to control the crowd.

And before you ask, yes I'll still be clearing floors with me Latin for quite a few years before I decide I'm flogging a dead horse. Actually some of the most popular spins at Boogaloo on Sat night were the Latin tunes. So there. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soulboy

This happened to me 2 weeks ago ,Knowing what the people want around here we advertise our night as motown and soul and most people who have been before know what we play across the board sums it up nothing to rare and loads of motown,we get 150 to 180 ish ,always a full dance floor ,With a mix of faces off the scene and none soulies, Early on in the night a gang of about 10 people come in started dancing soon as ,this girl comes up to the decks and gave me a list of stuff they wanted playing ,run of the mill stuff i start playing them every now and again,The gang are dancing most of the night ,she keeps coming up every 10 mins adding to her list ,all of the top of her head ,After about 2 hours she's still coming up asking me and to be honest pissing me off, she starts moaning about the music we were playing,'this isnt motown its northern we want motown' at the time Jj Barnes Real Humdinger was playing she is ear aching me big time this aint motown blah blah i took the record off the decks and showed her TAMLA MOTOWN !!!!!! She says no its not its northern cant you play some proper motown like out on the floor,

Honest what do you do i bend over backwards to try and please every one but some times you just cant win.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

if you've advertised the music policy correctly enough then the paying punter shouldn't have any real influence over the music policy .

Spot on. This is it in a nutshell. If you're clear about what you intend to play in your promotion no one should have any complaints. At our soul night we were clear about our music policy from day one, booked DJs that we knew agreed with us and could cut the mustard and (more importantly) attracted a crowd of upfront and dedicated soulies who were prepared to open their ears (like it used to be twenty years ago). Maybe we haven't had the greatest attendances yet (it's early days) but we've had nothing but praise for the music policy. Get yourselves along on the 27th to see what i mean or look on the Lookbacks threads for Move On (shameless plug).

So if anyone turns up to our night and complains about the music, i'd just say don't come again, simple as that. We won't change, except to play more and more different and underplayed sounds :thumbsup:

Social source share

Also If people want to dictate the music policy let them spend half their time scouring lists-ringing people-checking box after box of records-spending money you can't afford-let them have a go. Bloody hell plenty of do's on for them to try their hand. :thumbsup:

Kev

Great to listen to new tunes. Don't have to dance-can't force me. That doesn't mean I'm not enjoying myself. Plus if it's a good tune whether I know it or not I get St Vitas dance. Head starts nodding-feet start tapping and usually you go over to the guy/girl playing it and shake their hand or show appreciation-look at the record and check it out. That's a blinder-should get more spins-were can I find one. Is that a yellow copy-I've only seen red ones.-Wasn't that arranged by Riley Hampton etc.

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

And before you ask, yes I'll still be clearing floors with me Latin for quite a few years before I decide I'm flogging a dead horse. Actually some of the most popular spins at Boogaloo on Sat night were the Latin tunes. So there. :thumbsup:

Excellent post Warren thanks

I am open to be edumacated you know....you turned me on to a couple of Latin flavoured tunes and I would never rule out a tune without hearing it whatever genre it was.

xxxx

Edited by outonthefloor
Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Spot on. This is it in a nutshell. If you're clear about what you intend to play in your promotion no one should have any complaints. At our soul night we were clear about our music policy from day one, booked DJs that we knew agreed with us and could cut the mustard and (more importantly) attracted a crowd of upfront and dedicated soulies who were prepared to open their ears (like it used to be twenty years ago). Maybe we haven't had the greatest attendances yet (it's early days) but we've had nothing but praise for the music policy. Get yourselves along on the 27th to see what i mean or look on the Lookbacks threads for Move On (shameless plug).

So if anyone turns up to our night and complains about the music, i'd just say don't come again, simple as that. We won't change, except to play more and more different and underplayed sounds :thumbsup:

I see Johnny Fingers is playing....now that would tempt me for sure.

I think you make a good point too about 'early days' it takes time to build a reputation and some people want 'instant soul night' so its punters at any cost and the music policy suffers.

Social source share

Make sure YOU love the music that you play and that you RESPECT the dj's that you book and allow them to do their thing. Thats how a venue develops personality. Otherwise you have a bunch of boxed in punters asking for the same old same old and (unlike back in the day) getting no exposure to great tunes that they dont yet know. Consequently becoming a nostalgia crowd who forget that they once danced to stuff they didn't know........and enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

Perfectly put Paul.

People seem to forget that EVERY record was a NEW record once.

Personally I think a lot of people just aren't bothered about hearing new stuff. They get lazy. They would much rather have a comfortable pair of old slippers than a brand new pair of designer shoes.

They are just old. End of.

I will never get old. :thumbup:

Social source share

I see Johnny Fingers is playing....now that would tempt me for sure.

I think you make a good point too about 'early days' it takes time to build a reputation and some people want 'instant soul night' so its punters at any cost and the music policy suffers.

Warren makes a lot of sense. But what about ME! ...me, me, me!!!

I was that bloke who asked about that record!!!!

Where is my recognition?????

Social source share

no need to say any more than that :thumbup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

He loves all this stuff, but once he'd posted he felt that he had to put that post up to make it look like he couldn't give a shit :thumbsup:

lolol xx

If you still want that DVD of the unicorn 1st anniversarry send me your addy and Ill post it to you xx

Social source share

This happened to me 2 weeks ago ,Knowing what the people want around here we advertise our night as motown and soul and most people who have been before know what we play across the board sums it up nothing to rare and loads of motown,we get 150 to 180 ish ,always a full dance floor ,With a mix of faces off the scene and none soulies, Early on in the night a gang of about 10 people come in started dancing soon as ,this girl comes up to the decks and gave me a list of stuff they wanted playing ,run of the mill stuff i start playing them every now and again,The gang are dancing most of the night ,she keeps coming up every 10 mins adding to her list ,all of the top of her head ,After about 2 hours she's still coming up asking me and to be honest pissing me off, she starts moaning about the music we were playing,'this isnt motown its northern we want motown' at the time Jj Barnes Real Humdinger was playing she is ear aching me big time this aint motown blah blah i took the record off the decks and showed her TAMLA MOTOWN !!!!!! She says no its not its northern cant you play some proper motown like out on the floor,

Honest what do you do i bend over backwards to try and please every one but some times you just cant win.

:thumbsup::thumbup::thumbup:

There's one born every minute!

Social source share

Playing to the floor? What a complete and utter cop out!!

I would suggest that if you have a clear dance floor then some one has not done there home work!

It's not about trying to please the punter on the night; it's about understanding the punter before they arrive!!

If you have advertised in the local paper and dropped flyers off at local soul nights then you must expect hard working people just out for a night out who want to dance to the music they know and love, nowt wrong with that.

But!! If you have dropped flyers at every established allnighter then you must assume that the punter will want to dance and hear the more rare soul.

If you have offered to play a bit of Northernsoul for a mate at a local do then of course you must appreciate requests and play them, your integrity is not in question because it isn't that type of do.

Play to the dance floor? Hell no!!!! You play to the venue!!!! The punter has to vote with his feet and this means an empty dance floor for a couple of months then so be it, the real deal will show up or you have got it very wrong, the owners is on you doing the appropriate research as to whether that particular location, time and event caters for the music you want to play.

This is why we have venues going tits up because of people trying to make a quick kill.

One last thing I would rather drink my own piss than go to a venue that plays fookin Duffy!!

Social source share

Guest DonnaD

And before you ask, yes I'll still be clearing floors with me Latin for quite a few years before I decide I'm flogging a dead horse. Actually some of the most popular spins at Boogaloo on Sat night were the Latin tunes. So there. biggrin.gif

Perfectly put. A DJ for me plays from their heart but with an eye to the floor. You are not there to indulge yourself, or to try and massage your ego by playing rare but almost undancable to tunes. You are there to give anyone who has parted with some cash a fantastic night. This is contextual of course as to how you have advertised the night. If it is a local do and you have targetted a local audience then there is definately scope to throw in a Duffy or a Frank Wilson or even (God forbid) a snake. If however it is advertised as a rare soul night that you expect people to travel to, then you need to respect the fact they have travelled and expect to hear some top quality tunes, and to be happily surprised by a few of them.

For me, I always think back to what I heard and what I listened to when I first stumbled onto soul nights. Its those classics that are derided that first pulled at my heart strings. Why deny these tunes to others who stumble upon a local do just to see what its all about?

Social source share

For the most part "newies" from back in the day, now called "oldies" were far more instant/obvious to the ear and the uptempo dance floor. Nowadays NS is more wide ranging and sophisticated, newies tend to be less immediate to most and grow on the dancefloor over a number of plays. We forget that some have not been listening to rare soul that long. it can go over your head, and it's maybe a little different to the latest TV ad music some got the introduction from..

If you're at a venue with a big empty floor, no matter how great the music and people the nights will miss that buzz from the floor filled with dancers. A pub with no dance floor pressure is an ideal place for upfront stuff especially the mid-down tempo pipe and slippers stuff :thumbsup:

Over here (at times out of necessity at a start up club) we constantly attempt to introduce new people to the scene, the payback is some old reliables albeit in small quantities to keep possible converts interested. At same time we still manage to knock out a fair share of something different.

There is room for the dj who warms up/sets the mood/gets people dancing early with quality well known sounds, putting his indulgence second to getting the night up and running..What's wrong with a bit of known amongst the lesser known tunes over a night.

Preferably if you have a venue sufficiently filled with up for anything dancers rushing eagerly to the floor once doors open, that is utopia and I am envious you lucky bat*rd

Danny

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert