Get Over It

Barry

As purchasing Northern of late has gotten us all OCD whereby you get all obsessive about how many times your vinyl actually comes into contact with a stylus and all that shit.

You know wherbey you buy a record on the basis that it 'is okay to dj with' (?????)

I read this as I read the prawn sandwich brigade:

It seems that you either have to be that 'hard' or that financially secure to actually 'play' your records on this scene today.

Stop it off lads.

We all know that we have gone out of our way to obtain these tracks, we all know what we are able to do with our records...so, lets stop wanking each other off and admit the only sensible thing to do with our 'record collections' (cos that's what they are these days, just bad tattoos), is preserve them for the bloke you would like to be's perusal.

Don't play 'em, just keep 'em in a box and feel good about that bloke that shows interest in one of 'em.

Copy the feckers, play em and stop giving it the big machismo angle.

Make sense?

I honestly don't believe there's an argument against that,

Social source share

• Replies 117
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Barry The vinyl versus CD - MP3 - Memory Stick - Download - Laptop - Wax Cylinder has been done to death on Soul Surce & here are the conclusions - there are two answers :-

1) OVO Only.

2) Don't care what it is played on.

Here endeth the debate. laugh.gif

Social source share

all records i buy/collect are recorded to CD nowadays, so i can play them in the car, work, or were ever.

i'm with epic on this, original vinyl only for the northern scene.

always as been (in alot of places anyway :lol: ), always should be wink.gif

although, i've noticed a lot of (not all, but i'm no expert**) new modern soul comes on CD only

so maybe, it should be original format only, for the future unsure.gif

alan

** maybe it comes on 12" in vinyl form

Social source share

all records i buy/collect are recorded to CD nowadays, so i can play them in the car, work, or were ever.

although, i've noticed a lot of (not all, but i'm no expert**) new modern soul comes on CD only

alan

Of course it will all be that way..

P :lol:

Social source share

i'm with epic on this, original vinyl only for the northern scene.

always as been (in alot of places anyway :lol: ), always should be wink.gif

alan

These days on the more modern side of things tunes are sometimes only ever available as a download & never make it commercially on to cd or vinyl.

Social source share

As purchasing Northern of late has gotten us all OCD whereby you get all obsessive about how many times your vinyl actually comes into contact with a stylus and all that shit.

You know wherbey you buy a record on the basis that it 'is okay to dj with' (?????)

It seems that you either have to be that 'hard' or that financially secure to actually 'play' your records on this scene today.

Stop it off lads.

We all know that we have gone out of our way to obtain these tracks, we all know what we are able to do with our records...so, lets stop wanking each other off and admit the only sensible thing to do with our 'record collections' (cos that's what they are these days, just bad tattoos), is preserve them for the bloke you would like to be's perusal.

Don't play 'em, just keep 'em in a box and feel good about that bloke that shows interest in one of 'em.

Make sense?

You been at the sherry Barry wicked.gif

Social source share

Stop it off lads.

Make sense?

So why have a vinyl record on a deck as your avatar and club promo logo? mellow.gif

Maybe it has more credibity than a similar one of a CD/Laptop would have.

Oh the irony.......... :yes:

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

This may be a stupid question but does vinyl wear out eventually? It just occured to me that obviously these records are 40+ years old. Does that mean that the younger generation will have to make pressings/carvers etc to continue to play on vinyl in years to come or will it just switch to cd/mp3 & all that jazz?

P.S I'm part of the OVO brigade! biggrin.gif

Social source share

This may be a stupid question but does vinyl wear out eventually? It just occured to me that obviously these records are 40+ years old. Does that mean that the younger generation will have to make pressings/carvers etc to continue to play on vinyl in years to come or will it just switch to cd/mp3 & all that jazz?

P.S I'm part of the OVO brigade! biggrin.gif

It does.Usually on the knees and elbows first.

Social source share

I know Steve G has said he had carvers done of some of his rarer pieces for preservation purposes.

As my Bernie Wiliams and Billy Woods got worse I had some high quality photocopy labels made and stuck on bootlegs for "playing out". I always carries the originals to prove I had them though!

Now I couldn't care less what format they are, just as long as I can put them on my ipod...

regards,

RB

Social source share

Guest kev such

OVO. Credibilty and the great deilight in playing the flip on OV and finding an equally good if not better tune than the one you bought it for.

Kev

Cream Cracker 21st March.

DJ's. Johnny Red Pants, Dr Pickles, Martin Stanford, Molly, Marky Mole, Alan Leighton (30 minute punter spot) and Kev Such

7.30pm to 2am. £4.00 OTD.

Playing 60's Northern, RnB and Early Crossover

Edited by kev such
Social source share

OVO. Credibilty and the great deilight in playing the flip on OV and finding an equally good if not better tune than the one you bought it for.

Kev

DJ's. Johnny Red Pants, Dr Pickles, Martin Stanford, Molly, Marky Mole, gus (30 minute punter spot) and Kev Such

:thumbup:

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I know Steve G has said he had carvers done of some of his rarer pieces for preservation purposes.

But why have carvers done??.....a copy's a copy.......might ya just as well put it on CD???

Seems bizarre, no :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

P.S I'm part of the OVO brigade! :boxing:

Yes, vinyl wears out eventually and yes, future generations will have no choice but to play music files as all the decent copies of O.V. will be worn out by then plus styli won't be available anymore........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Couldn't agree more, of course vinyl will wear out eventually, but it'd have to be hammered to do so, providing you have a good copy to start with (sometimes hard), a quality stylus that's changed regularly, there shouldn't be many problems, let's be honest tunes come & go in popularity, some are always going to be played or revitalised, but unless you're playing it every night a few times it should last longer than your lifespan.

There's nothing sadder than either buying or finding a class record that looks like it's been on the bottom of somebodys shoe for a while.

As for CD's...they have their place but at an event it has to be vinyl, cast your mind back, I know that after travelling 350+ miles to Wigan (or any other venue) to hear a DJ play a track from the 70's equivalent of a CD, namely a cassette tape, I'd be pretty pissed off & so would the vast majority of others, the DJ would've been hung, drawn, quartered & left out for the birds with his credibilty been torn to shreds.

This scene has been built on the blood, sweat & tears of many DJ's, collectors that have done the hard yards to obtain those rare (& not so rare) sounds......I will concede that it's a tad easier these days with 'tinternet & that has taken some of the fun out of it.

Of course all these rare records by long forgotten artists could be remixed, revamped put on a CD & sold at your local flea market or 5 & dime so every numpty could have a copy.....but of course that's already been done.

BTW Kev, look after Johnny, we want him back.

KTF

Baz

Kev

DJ's. Johnny Red Pants, Dr Pickles, Martin Stanford, Molly, Marky Mole, Gus (30 minute punter spot) and Kev Such

Social source share

But why have carvers done??.....a copy's a copy.......might ya just as well put it on CD???

Seems bizarre, no huh.gif

Cheers,

Mark R

Well yes Mark except a lot of northern venues don't have CD players. ohmy.gif Have only really put acetates and a couple of cover ups onto carvers....the acetates are the real problem as they do deteriorate esp. with some of the knitting needle styli you see at certain venues :boxing:

Steve

Social source share

Guest wrighty

Well yes Mark except a lot of northern venues don't have CD players. ohmy.gif Have only really put acetates and a couple of cover ups onto carvers....the acetates are the real problem as they do deteriorate esp. with some of the knitting needle styli you see at certain venues :boxing:

Steve

but why take a chance on any venue's (knitting) needles steve when for the price of a cheapie you can buy and take your own? wicked.gif

Social source share

Guest wrighty

A good point Ian.....I still rely on the promotor to 'do the right thing' :rolleyes: Some of them do to be fair.

yeah some do...but the old 'oh they're fine - only changed em a 'coupla weeks' ago mate' line is much more the norm ph34r.gif

Edited by wrighty
Social source share

:excl::excl::excl:

I think Northern Soul Djs should sing a capella only!!!!!

ph34r.gif A.C.O.A :shades: aka. People with an hermeneutic principle or ''What a lovely voice''

By the way my ovo#s (very old) are fine, while some of my cds started to rust a bit (20 years of age) ?!

I do live in a dry house!!!

:lol: O.V.O.A :lol: aka P.(eople) with S.(oul) or ''Every Record Tells a Story''

I always like the example with an art gallery...... whistling.gif:shades::D:ohmy:

Social source share

makes me laugh when people say they have acetates cut to protect the sound of rare records , more like to protect their investment

pay ££££ for a record / acetate , pay 20 quid for a carver , play the carver but have original in box incase soul police ask.

can still sell the original again on after a while as condition has not worsened

Social source share

makes me laugh when people say they have acetates cut to protect the sound of rare records , more like to protect their investment

pay ££££ for a record / acetate , pay 20 quid for a carver , play the carver but have original in box incase soul police ask.

can still sell the original again on after a while as condition has not worsened

...And it makes me laugh that some people have acetates cut, play them out at gigs, yet still voice the opinion that it should be OVO rolleyes.gif

hyp⋅o⋅crite

noun

1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

Hooorray - you get it! laugh.gif

Social source share

:) When these DJ's play at gigs, I wonder if Imberboy could get away with photocopying a fiver and paying on the door with that? He could always say that he has a real one in his pocket whistling.gif
Social source share

...And it makes me laugh that some people have acetates cut, play them out at gigs, yet still voice the opinion that it should be OVO :thumbup:

Easily remedied if you do away with the OVO policy, a lot of which revolves around "willy-waving" and in it's place substitute "fresh and different". I don't really think the format in a club is that important.

With a strict OVO policy then of course Steve G shouldn't play carvers but if he is featuring lesser known stuff then it's entirely up to him how he presents it to the crowd.

Im guessing he's shelling out quite a bit of cash for these 45s and would not want to risk them on dodgy equipment.

ROD

Social source share

When I go to a venue I expect the DJ to play original vinyl and he expects me to pay with real money.

If he is playing CD's then I expect to get in with monopoly money.

monopoly_money_1.jpg

That says it ALL...SPOT ON. Cant even believe this is being discussed. F--k cds! If your 45s too worn out, dont play it at all. I have battered rarities, but would NEVER carve them. Misses the whole point of original vinyl.

On the carving basis, I could pick up a totally battered copy of an extremely rare record that doesn't play and then get a sound file, cd or friends copy, carve it, play it out and say "BUT look I have the original". What a con.

There is also a practice where peole own the original, carve it, photo copy the label (looks good in semi light of venues) and sell the original on! BUT, continue playing the carve!

B-llocks to all that OVO. :thumbup:

Social source share

yeah some of the best known NS DJ's do it Joan ! :thumbup:

Thats the truth. So, maybe more of us should go up and have a look when a V rare tunes on. Its a totlly dishonest practice and these guys should just not be booked any more...should be retired , just as they have retired their vinyl. I dont give a flying f--k what they 'Once' owned.

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

When I go to a venue I expect the DJ to play original vinyl and he expects me to pay with real money.

If he is playing CD's then I expect to get in with monopoly money.

monopoly_money_1.jpg

That says it ALL...SPOT ON. Cant even believe this is being discussed. F--k cds! If your 45s too worn out, dont play it at all. I have battered rarities, but would NEVER carve them. Misses the whole point of original vinyl.

On the carving basis, I could pick up a totally battered copy of an extremely rare record that doesn't play and then get a sound file, cd or friends copy, carve it, play it out and say "BUT look I have the original". What a con.

There is also a practice where peole own the original, carve it, photo copy the label (looks good in semi light of venues) and sell the original on! BUT, continue playing the carve!

B-llocks to all that OVO. :thumbup:

Agree with your final two paragraphs although completely unaware of "pooling" practice.

Thing is though I could bore you to death with my OVO as no doubt could many others which is why I think the emphasis should be on the "newer" aspect rather than the format. You wouldn't be playing newer stuff on CD anyway unless I guess it was some previously unreleased thing. Adey plays carvers but I suppose he drops the track when it gets released on Kent CD or 45 to make way for next addition to playlist.

Unfortunately it's not 1975 anymore and our more cavaliar attitude to the actual records has gone. I think that's a shame as it does seem more of a business rather than a pleasure.

I was reminded of this reading Manny results. Imagined conversation at Wigan

"Have you got Salvadors,mate"

" Yes, the 1.09 mm version"

WTF is that about!!

ROD

Social source share

I don't understand anyones need to play CDs.

For me they are now equal to playing a track off of a C60 cassette.

Ok for throwing in the CD player in the car, but completely lacking in atmosphere.

They can't replace that feeling you get as you pull a record from it's sleeve, gently wipe any dust off, carefully place it on the turntable and lower the needle onto the groove.. the first couple of seconds of gentle crackle, or the sound of the stylus riding the groove, then Wham... the music hits you.

Social source share

Thats the truth. So, maybe more of us should go up and have a look when a V rare tunes on. Its a totlly dishonest practice and these guys should just not be booked any more...should be retired , just as they have retired their vinyl. I dont give a flying f--k what they 'Once' owned.

i agree paul.

btw,iv'e got a print of the Mona Lisa if anyone want to pay to look at it,,,,,fook the Louvre :thumbup: .

Social source share

I don't understand anyones need to play CDs.

For me they are now equal to playing a track off of a C60 cassette.

Ok for throwing in the CD player in the car, but completely lacking in atmosphere.

They can't replace that feeling you get as you pull a record from it's sleeve, gently wipe any dust off, carefully place it on the turntable and lower the needle onto the groove.. the first couple of seconds of gentle crackle, or the sound of the stylus riding the groove, then Wham... the music hits you.

You're playing Wham 45s at venues? What's the most popular one "wake me up before you go-go"? :thumbup:

Seriously, playing a vinyl record gives a haptic experience you just don't get from CDs. Period.

Social source share

Brilliant analogy "The Mona Lisa"

Every one and his fookin dog has seen that picture, it is so well known that it means next to fook all to many.

My son went to visit the Louvre last year on a school trip, he is 15.

He intends to study art and told me that seeing the original Mona Lisa moved him and his class to nigh on tears but then again he makes his own fookin dress the little puff!! Art? We wont be having any of that nonsense in this house young fellow me lad, you're a Yorkshire man son and don't ever forget it! Fookin art!!!!!!

mona_lisa.jpg

Social source share

Guest maria

Brilliant analogy "The Mona Lisa"

Every one and his fookin dog has seen that picture, it is so well known that it means next to fook all to many.

My son went to visit the Louvre last year on a school trip, he is 15.

He intends to study art and told me that seeing the original Mona Lisa moved him and his class to nigh on tears but then again he makes his own fookin dress the little puff!! Art? We wont be having any of that nonsense in this house young fellow me lad, you're a Yorkshire man son and don't ever forget it! Fookin art!!!!!!

mona_lisa.jpg

Did you know that art and the love of music are one of the same, you probably passed the gene to him,

you should be proud of him. Hopefully his language, shall we say, came from another family member.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert