Promoting

Barry

I think some are makeing it out to be far harder than it is,personaly really enjoy it.

it was your sound engineer that helped me with one of my problems (we dont have one ) or could ever afford one . as joan says it dont suit every one but it dose get easier but for me there are to many negatives involved and my health is shot at so not sure how long i will last .........i rimember that scooter do you was involved with last year here in southport that wasant without its problems i dont think i would have coped

Social source share

• Replies 68
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest kid mohair

Promotings like an addiction and I have to admit I'm an addict. I love getting people together and giving them a great night out with some awesome music thrown in.

Mind you it's not for everyone because it can be stressful and I've seen lots of people lose hair, money, sleep, friends, sanity, their perspective on life and the will to live.

My tip, for what it's worth, is if you love it do it but don't forget it's not the only thing in your life.

Well said warren................... :lol:

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

it was your sound engineer that helped me with one of my problems (we dont have one ) or could ever afford one . as joan says it dont suit every one but it dose get easier but for me there are to many negatives involved and my health is shot at so not sure how long i will last .........i rimember that scooter do you was involved with last year here in southport that wasant without its problems i dont think i would have coped

Got to admit the scooter weekender is a little different,been running the northern niter room there for 3 years for nev rigby and its certainly an eye opener.On the bright side it makes the soul niters and weekenders seem like a stroll in the park,we are back there first week in june if your comin :lol: .

Social source share

Guest kev such

Anyone else wonder why Brizzle hasnt had a thriving NS scene out of Yate or were all the Yaters travellers from further North (and South)

Thats probably because most of us who lived in Yate either joined up or have moved away. :lol: .

Social source share

I don't class neself as a promoter.

Started a little night with Steve, for one reason only.

As I dont get out as much as I'd like to, I was fed up to the back teeth of of having to listen to yet another f*ckin' classic, played on Shit Sound systems, on any format whatever cos the dancers aren't bothered in a room full of sheep shouting "Play Summat We Know".

Not bothered about money , only wanted to hear something different.

One thing does bother me though, Why say one thing and mean exactly the f*ckin opposite

Love and Kisses

Tony

Social source share

Guest kev such

Well said warren................... :P

Seconded Andy.

When i first put the Cream Cracker on it was simply because (locally) having spoken to people an "oldies" night was wanted. Admittedly not everyone i spoke to wanted an "oldies" night, just the ones i paid off did. :lol:

However when we had the first one i think 60 or so people came. I think we had a good night, the 2nd one was busier. But we have stuck at it, are now into our 4th year, and even though we have stuck with the music format and not gone across the board etc... The numbers attending are going up. I promote the event and book the DJ's (if they are available) to give the best possible evening to the people who make it worthwhile, the people who take the time and trouble to humble me by attending. I know that sounds like i have been with a counsillor for a few hours and im well happy with my being. But it is true.

Admittedly costs are generally covered and there may be few quid left over for me to take Karen out for dinner or something to thank her for helping out. But thats about it, any money made is used to fund the Christmas Cracker, so all money taken goes to chosen charity.

I would say that the GREATEST bonuses of promoting are seeing a room full of sweaty people who dont want to go home when the lights come on and you get to meet and chat to infinately more people on the scene as a promoter, especially when they arrive.

I dont do too bad in my chosen profession so im not doing it to make money or get my name in lights, just have fun and hopefully put on good evenings for the people attending before we all get too old to do it anymore.

Someone said to me that "I will make as many enemies as friends" when i started The Cream Cracker. That statement is trueish, i have made enemies since i started promoting, but i have also made a shit load of friends and thats the bonus and why i keep doing it.

Regards

kev (still not doing modern) Such

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Got to admit the scooter weekender is a little different,been running the northern niter room there for 3 years for nev rigby and its certainly an eye opener.On the bright side it makes the soul niters and weekenders seem like a stroll in the park,we are back there first week in june if your comin :lol: .

i live there and dj for the sandgrounders (for what good it dose me) yes love the scooter do's allways go i think i will be sorting the do in the pub before the start .friend of mine tried a couple o ska do's here but not much suport here in fact wouldent mind having another crack at it here this sumer myself at my club sea side town traditional mods thing you realy would think it would work but local lads not intorested but yes looking forward to pontins , :P

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

I don't class neself as a promoter.

Started a little night with Steve, for one reason only.

As I dont get out as much as I'd like to, I was fed up to the back teeth of of having to listen to yet another f*ckin' classic, played on Shit Sound systems, on any format whatever cos the dancers aren't bothered in a room full of sheep shouting "Play Summat We Know".

Not bothered about money , only wanted to hear something different.

One thing does bother me though, Why say one thing and mean exactly the f*ckin opposite

Love and Kisses

Tony

think that pretty much sums it up for me too.i wouldent call myself a promotor either tried me best but find it hard work a lot of the time

Social source share

Re-union says to me that people who actually went to The Torch in circa 1972 will be attending.

Fair play to Malcolm his ticket sales have gone well - realistically you are giving the people what they want - another "oldies" night.

If he had promoted a rare, underplayed, crossover, modern soul night I think the tickets might not have sold so well.

The scene basically lives & breathes "oldies" because that is its life blood - it is no surprise really that promoters wanting to do something "different" fail because people only want to attend venues where the tried & trusted tunes are played.

Doesn't matter whether you use the words revival, re-union, oldies, night etc. an old record still sounds the same.

Barry - if you play The Fuller Brothers at a "re-union" does it sound any different than if you play it at a "revival" 'cos I don't really understand your point.

and I'm not sure what yours is...

1- I'm helping Malc with OUR reunion night as I like the idea of having a great night out.

2- some who enjoy these types of night also have enough about them to enjoy the otherside of the the scene, it was only a few months ago I was resident at one of the East Midlands upfront 60's soul venues ie DKOF, I even have records that are still covered up after 30 years and still have many records that would fetch over £1000 woo fucking dooey it don't matter as most of my favourites are 10 quiders

3- Not wanting to be conterversial however 90% of what you hear at these so called upfront soul venues are actually oldies. the fact that they are shit rare imo aee irrelevant.

4- I get bored shitless lisetening to the same old same old however the Torch Reunion is something special an event where most that are attending don't give a shit about what will be played, there is a unique bond between the patrons who attended the Torch that those that never went will NEVER understand, to see a full house dancing to 60's soul, enjoying themselves that ultimatley will benefit tow great charitys is about as good as it gets.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

this is my take andrew this is only part of it :thumbup: find a venue? big? small ?not been done before? right location ? right price ? closing time ? bouncers ? some council's insist on them , noise limiter ? equipment fortunes for proper gear!!! flyers ha ha waste of time , radio internet local press going out and about to more venues than you would like to go to . the right venues to go to .the right people you would hope to come ? music preference ? the right dj's for your music policy or style contacting lots and lot of folks ...arguing with lots and lots of folks paying lots and lots of folks, politcs we aint coming to your do coz ?????????????? zilian petty resons am not going to theirs they dont come to mine lol, amp blowing up idiot dj wont understand volume to high blows f.... everything up and loses you venue , people who come moan music not this to much that and so on then you try and please the other lot music to much that and not enough this

not sure about your venue mate but this is just one little bit of the workings of my do'

and i havent even mentiond the hard work and worry i had trying to sort out somthing called acoustic feedback or humm ? only time i could try to sort it was one hour before start of the night as could not get in to club any other time . this went on for 3 months spoiling the night nearly, no sound engineer at our club mate!!!! just me !!! every sugestion under the sun failed what a sweat that was , also geting all my gear to the venue in a vehical that isant big enough three 15 mile round trips on the friday before the do' then van foooooked desperation frenzy and so on , yeah right mate nothing to it. earn a living and run yer own business all at the same time but as somebody mentiond despite all the moaning and negatives it is nice when 1or 2 people praise you for doing it and then after all that you dare not pack it in because some other buggers are waiting to swoop hhaaaaaaaa

it's as hard or as easy as you want to make it, and i still say easy :unsure:

Social source share

and I'm not sure what yours is...

1- I'm helping Malc with OUR reunion night as I like the idea of having a great night out.

2- some who enjoy these types of night also have enough about them to enjoy the otherside of the the scene, it was only a few months ago I was resident at one of the East Midlands upfront 60's soul venues ie DKOF, I even have records that are still covered up after 30 years and still have many records that would fetch over £1000 woo fucking dooey it don't matter as most of my favourites are 10 quiders

3- Not wanting to be conterversial however 90% of what you hear at these so called upfront soul venues are actually oldies. the fact that they are shit rare imo aee irrelevant.

4- I get bored shitless lisetening to the same old same old however the Torch Reunion is something special an event where most that are attending don't give a shit about what will be played, there is a unique bond between the patrons who attended the Torch that those that never went will NEVER understand, to see a full house dancing to 60's soul, enjoying themselves that ultimatley will benefit tow great charitys is about as good as it gets.

Think one or two of the attendees would possibly disagree with that statement.

Social source share

Think one or two of the attendees would possibly disagree with that statement.

I did say 'most' wink.gif

The afternoon session will be where those playing are urged to dig a bit deeper and play stuff that to some will be 'new stuff' The Wingate Strings, Johnny Ryhs, Emile Griffin, Billy Sha Rae, Henry Jerome, Herb Ward, The Flock, Sebastian Williams, The Intruders, The Fidels, The Sweets, The Spellbinders, The Markets, The Shalimars, The Wonderettes, The Perigents, The Paromaonts, Tower of Power, The Ethics, First Choice, Pearlean Gray, Gerry and Paul, The Glories etc etc where the evening session I have a suspicion will be classic Torch due to folk congregating from all parts of the uk for a reuinon where requests I'm sure will be coming thick and fast...

2 to 2-30 OZZ

2-30 to 3 Swish

3-to 3-30 Poke

3-30 to 4 Tony Dellar

4- 4-30 Ian Cunliffe

4-30 to 5 Chris Lalor

5 to 5-30 Nige Brown

5-30 to 6 Pat Wallace

CLOSE FOR 1 HOUR

7 to 7-30 OZZ

7-30 to 8-30 Paul Donnelly

8- 30 to 9-15 Blue Max

9-15 to 10-15 tba

10-15 to 11-15 Colin Curtis

11-15 to end Dave Evison

Social source share

The post I made about the use of the word 'Revival' against 'Re-union' was wholeheartedley meant in the way I stated it.

I understand that my usual view-point can be open to interpretation but in this case I did in no way intend it to be a slight toward the only bloke on her that 'gets' where I am coming from - and I pmed him to say so.

Revival smacks of money, Re-union sounds right to me - end of.

Have I mis-read the responses?

As I would never diss anyone in the manner I feel that it may be read that I have, surely you can see that?

ps

I am in no way getting stressed over this - okay?

Social source share

The post I made about the use of the word 'Revival' against 'Re-union' was wholeheartedley meant in the way I stated it.

I understand that my usual view-point can be open to interpretation but in this case I did in no way intend it to be a slight toward the only bloke on her that 'gets' where I am coming from - and I pmed him to say so.

Revival smacks of money, Re-union sounds right to me - end of.

Have I mis-read the responses?

As I would never diss anyone in the manner I feel that it may be read that I have, surely you can see that?

ps

I am in no way getting stressed over this - okay?

Last year in Blackpool there was an event called "Blackpool Mecca Revival Reunion" - how does that sit within your formula for the promotion of events?

Social source share

Last year in Blackpool there was an event called "Blackpool Mecca Revival Reunion" - how does that sit within your formula for the promotion of events?

I just think it is a terrible useage of words Epic.

Actually, a terrible moniker.

How you anyway mate?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert