Need A British Action Discography

• Replies 29
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest mel brat

...add ACT 4605 Hoagy Lands "Why Didn't You Let Me Know"/"Do You Know What Life Is All About" 1972 (black & green label)

Social source share

...add ACT 4605 Hoagy Lands "Why Didn't You Let Me Know"/"Do You Know What Life Is All About" 1972 (black & green label)

Great double sider Mel.

Seems like only yesterday, I used to be able to pick these all off the back shelves at my local Record Shop!

And old Violet May had em all in a box behind the counter.

Took me less than 2 years to get the entire set, back in the day.

Wonder how long it would take now?

Tremendous UK label.

:rolleyes:

Sean

Social source share

ACT 4623 Chosen Few - Funky Butter // Wondering

This is listed, but I've never seen one or heard of one in anyones collection.

Sean says he's got the full set above - maybe he could confirm / deny its existence.

Full title is 'Funky Buttercup' and it definitely exists - I've had it a couple / 3 times down the years - great piece.....

MRez

Social source share

Full title is 'Funky Buttercup' and it definitely exists - I've had it a couple / 3 times down the years - great piece.....

MRez

You sure that wasn't the copy on UK MIAMI? It seems to crop up, but I've asked on here before about CHOSEN FEW on Action and nobody seems to have seen one...

Social source share

Was put together in association with a collector who had the lot of 'em!

Oddly enough I find the occasional Action release over here...nice early red'n'yellow ones too...amazing what has made it's way over to Japan!

ph34r.gif

no mention of the three later action reggae releases (grey singer label) or the promo sampler (blank Mauve Action label ones side / blank People label t'other)

Only shy of one, possibly two for the ful set of 45s and have got a full set of LPs plus a few doubles.

Social source share

I've always believed that the three hardest Action 45s are "Take It Baby" by The Showmen and "I Surrender" by Eddie Holman and "Omar Khayyam" by The Rubiyats.

Only had one copy of The Showmen and Eddie Holman over the past 27 years, but seen ample copies of Dee Dee Sharp, Little Carl Carlton and Bobby Patterson. I've never seen The Rubiyats!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I've always believed that the three hardest Action 45s are "Take It Baby" by The Showmen and "I Surrender" by Eddie Holman and "Omar Khayyam" by The Rubiyats.

Only had one copy of The Showmen and Eddie Holman over the past 27 years, but seen ample copies of Dee Dee Sharp, Little Carl Carlton and Bobby Patterson. I've never seen The Rubiyats!

Picked a Rubiyats up last year for about £25.

Hardest in my experience are:

Eddie Holman.

Tom Green.

Singing Principal issue.

The sampler 45.

Social source share

Picked a Rubiyats up last year for about £25.

Hardest in my experience are:

Eddie Holman.

Tom Green.

Singing Principal issue.

The sampler 45.

Picked up a Singing Principal recently (demo, same track both sides). Does anyone know anything about him? Who was he? I presume he was what we'd call a "headmaster" in the UK

Nick

Social source share

MRez

...and the B side might be called WANDERING - if so, both also appeared on the (apparently) hard-to-find IN MIAMI L.P. (TRLS131), that Trojan re-issued with bonus tracks in 2004 (TJACD158).

Both tunes produced by King Sporty (aka Noel Williams), who was/is Betty Wright's husband.

Tracklisting of the original L.P. (from Tapir's):

TRLS 131 Chosen Few - The Chosen Few In Miami

Tracks: Night And Day / I'm A Man / In The Rain / Wandering / Funky Buttercup // Candy I'm So Daggone Mixed Up / Why Can't We Live / Drift Away / Daniel / Hit Me With Music

Edited by ZapatootheTiger
Social source share

boxing.gif YOU WILL FIND COMPLETE LIST AT THE BACK OF YOUNG GIFTED AND BLACK ALSO MANSHIPS RARE UK AND THERE ARE 3 MORE LATER ISSUES BUT AT THIS TIME OF NIGHT CANT THINK, AND DONT FORGET YOU MUST COLLECT THE RUN OF SINGLES, AND LPS ON THE SISTER LABLE POEPLE, HOWEVER YOU MAY NEED TO COLLECT ALL THE SUES AND ISLANDS AND EVERY THING ON B&C RECORDS, I KNOW AT LEAST 2 POEPLE THAT HAVE THE LOT AND I HAVE ALL THE GOOD ONES. ph34r.gif DAVE KIL
Social source share

Guest east rob

isnt the zz hill-make me yours quite a hard one to find? & british only?

atb,rob

Social source share

HAD A LOOK TODAY AMASSED A FAIR FEW OVER THE YEARS ,MOST ARE QUALITY ALSO,ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED,MIGHT AS WELL NAIL IT DOWN !!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

BAZ A wink.gif

:boxing: Dont for get there are a couple of samplers the Action/poeple single my copy of it was featured in a copy of RECORD COLLECTOR when they issued the great ISLAND STORY over 5 issues a must read? and a Leeds Uni featuring Joe Cocker or was that on Sue. I dont know of any other promos except for the skelington A, and the EMI style DEMO on the Green & Blacks not clears? also Black A on the Blue & Grey man standing copies that for some reason came out as one sided A,s which means a issue can be more desireable as thats the side to here, frustrating or what, it is my opinion that Eddie Holman..I Surrender DEMO is the rareist ACTION however some younger and newer collectors seem to think TOM GREENE is i think they get it wrong as the Tom G was not a collectors item till 10 years ago and demand out grew availability. the question is what is the best Action single or should this be a new topic ph34r.gif DAVE KIL
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert