Patto

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Russ Smith

The multi coloured is as far as I know authentic, but it appears to be a re-press as the original is a white and red label (Way Out).

Regards

Alan

Its a press shortly after the red and white , by the company probably 2 years after.. ?

They were both about when it was played in the 70s, and went for similar money then. Soul Bowl had the red and white ones, i bought one off the front page for £3..

They are both " real" issues, Jesse Fisher had some success with his funkier bits a couple of years later and Way Out probably reissued it on the back of these i guess..

Great record on any label ! Sheer class ..

Social source share

Its a press shortly after the red and white , by the company probably 2 years after.. ?

They were both about when it was played in the 70s, and went for similar money then. Soul Bowl had the red and white ones, i bought one off the front page for £3..

They are both " real" issues, Jesse Fisher had some success with his funkier bits a couple of years later and Way Out probably reissued it on the back of these i guess..

am sure someone on here was selling a red and white one in sales tother day, £130 i think, i missed one a couple years ago for £60, brill tune

Social source share

What do you base the 'two years after' supposition on? Have you got any concrete information about the respective dates of the two releases? An expert on Ohio recordings has told us on here before that this theory is pure speculation. The different presses are simply from different plants. My preference will always be for the multicoloured press as the sound reproduction is a bit better than on the red and white label copies.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

What do you base the 'two years after' supposition on? Have you got any concrete information about the respective dates of the two releases? An expert on Ohio recordings has told us on here before that this theory is pure speculation. The different presses are simply from different plants. My preference will always be for the multicoloured press as the sound reproduction is a bit better than on the red and white label copies.

Supposition, calm down, I've had both issues, now have the multicoloured, and was just trying to read some sense into the theories..They were both about in equal-ish quantaties back then..You're right its probably nowhere like 2 years between the 2 releases and if its different plants, thats it.. If an expert on Ohio stuff has posted before then cool, then thats the more likely theory then..

Chill out !

Somebody asked if the multi colored were re-issues, just tried to put my thoughts in, thats all.. I bought this record in the 70s when it was only a couple/ few years old, just trying to pass on info... Will never post a theory again... laugh.gif

Edited by Russ Smith
Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Good then, I'm glad you have the same pressing as i have. Sounds lush to me !

Edited by Russ Smith
Social source share

Good then, I'm glad you have the same pressing as i have. Sounds lush to me !

Hi Russ

sorry if my post comes across a bit aggressively, that wasn't my intention (lesson: never post late on Friday!).

One of the good things about forums like this is that we can delve deeper into the various theories that have grown up about particular records and have been handed down on tablets of stone over the years.

The Ohio guy, George, said that the different copies were pressed at Boddie in Cleveland, and either ARP or Archer in Michigan. The Boddie numbering system used the master date as part of its maxtrix numbering system. I don't have copies of either release at the moment to check, but if someone could post the matrices on the respective copies it might be possible to determine release dates for the two editions.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

his other release on the label is multi coloured. i even think the multi couloured is the first issue and coz it sold well on initial release wayout scrambled around for some other labels and found a batch on the old label design.lets face it that sounds feasable.either way they are all original.white and red being a little more expensive coz its slightly tougher. no other reason

dave

Social source share

his other release on the label is multi coloured. i even think the multi couloured is the first issue and coz it sold well on initial release wayout scrambled around for some other labels and found a batch on the old label design.lets face it that sounds feasable.either way they are all original.white and red being a little more expensive coz its slightly tougher. no other reason

dave

Mel Brat stated that during the record's first period of popularity at the Mecca the standard copy was the multi-coloured one. He didn't remember seeing a red and white until some years later by which time the Jesse Fisher 45 was very much an oldie. Of course that doesn't mean that the multicoloured was definitively released first, but it's worth bearing in mind that there is at least anecdotal evidence of that being the case.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Mel Brat stated that during the records first period of popularity at the Mecca the standard copy was the multi-coloured one. He didn't remember seeing a red and white until some years later by which time the Jesse Fisher 45 was very much an oldie. Of course that doesn't mean that the multicoloured was definitively released first, but it's worth bearing in mind that there is at least anecdotal evidence of that being the case.

Moderators: not advertising event - it was last year. just posting for the sound :lol:

Social source share

Mel Brat stated that during the record's first period of popularity at the Mecca the standard copy was the multicoloured one. He didn't remember seeing a red and white until some -years later by which time the Jesse Fisher 45 was very much an oldie. Of course that doesn't mean that the multicoloured was definitively released first, but it's worth bearing in mind that there is at least anecdotal evidence of that being the case.

that's my take on it as well Gareth.

Social source share

The sensations demanding man is on red and white wonder if the number of that is before or after jesse Fisher

The Sensations "Demanding Man" is from 1969-70, predating Jesse Fisher by a couple of years. The c.1966 date on the label refers to the date of incorporation of the label, rather than the year of release of this particular 45.

The Way Out label is a bit of a minefield for a full and sequential discography, with different numbering sequences, label designs, distribution from MGM etc.

Social source share

actually Ady on the multi coloured labels it is "Your" but it's "You're" on the Red/white label copies :wicked:

Mine is the multi-coloured one Chalky, but i didn't want to say anything(in a posh accent please) :thumbsup:

Maybe there is a clue there too, the multi one was 1st ,they realised the mistake ,and duly corrected the grammer on the red&white copy :rolleyes:

sounds good to me :rolleyes:

Edited by NORTHERN NEV
Social source share

actually Ady on the multi coloured labels it is "Your" but it's "You're" on the Red/white label copies whistling.gif

So in conclusion...

The Red/white copies are for Grammer school type peep's & the multi coloured copies are for the Secondary/Comprehensive School ordinary type Joe... :thumbsup::thumbup:

"mines multicoloured"......& so is my copies label.......haven't played Oridinary Joe for years...must go and dig it out.

Social source share

Mel Brat stated that during the record's first period of popularity at the Mecca the standard copy was the multi-coloured one. He didn't remember seeing a red and white until some years later by which time the Jesse Fisher 45 was very much an oldie. Of course that doesn't mean that the multicoloured was definitively released first, but it's worth bearing in mind that there is at least anecdotal evidence of that being the case.

Interesting, thanks.

The Jesse Fisher record was reported in a Cleveland paper as getting play on three local radio stations, this was November or December of 1971. Assume then the record was released around October/November of 1971. I actually have a vague memory of hearing it, but I could be fooling myself.

As noted, the two pressing have different EQ/masterings. The red/white one is inferior to the red/yellow one, IMO and I think most everyone would agree. One reason is pretty obvious - the width of the track on the red/white one is smaller, meaning less groove 'space' and usually that means less fidelity. The acetates for both were probably cut at Boddie, as Tom Boddie's mark is in the dead wax. They were wise not to press them there! I think both were ARP pressings, like most of the post MGM Way Outs.

I really don't think the record was repressed a couple years later....things moved too fast back then. I'm going to ASSUME that the red/white was first and the inferior fidelity was noted and the record remastered. Also since the record was a local 'hit' there would have been a possible need to repress in 'real time'. There's a couple other clues I need to look at.

The perspective of availability is very interesting, I suspect one reason being that the red/white ones were mainly distributed in the Cleveland area and the red/yellow ones had more stock available, so when the record was discoverd by the UK scene and copies exported they took the available back stock, which was red/yellow. Again, I'm just speculating here.

Regarding the date for the Sensations 'Demanding Man', late 1969 or early 1970 is correct. The previous Way Out 45, by the Harmonics (label number 2003/4, Sensations is 2005) is from late 1969, I am working to confirm a more exact date.

How many of you know that one member of the Sensations later played in the rock band Rainbow Canyon who had a LP (in the US)? I think he was out of the group by the time Demanding Man was recorded. I'm trying to get an interview with him.

- George

Social source share

Source Advert