Bobby Goldsboro - Too Many People

Guest Little Anthony

Guest Little Anthony

OK so it's not really a soul record, but it was massive in the late 70's and eventually pressed. The pressing is, however, different to the original version played on the scene (The pressing has louder drums on the intro. - Listen to it live at Notts Palais on www.hinckleysoulclub.org.uk). Anyone got an original or know if it is available

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

OK so it's not really a soul record, but it was massive in the late 70's and eventually pressed. The pressing is, however, different to the original version played on the scene (The pressing has louder drums on the intro. - Listen to it live at Notts Palais on www.hinckleysoulclub.org.uk). Anyone got an original or know if it is available

Only have it on a re-issue UK EP

P :thumbup:

post-9683-1236113749_thumb.jpg

post-9683-1236113853_thumb.jpg

Social source share

the uk 60s release version (black issue / green demo) is by fat the better of the two, reissue came out in late 70's pretty poor, great drum roll at intro of original. think also came out on italian release. the version on notts palais soundtrack is the better version

Social source share

They lost the mastertapes to the 'stomping' version and all subsequent reissues have been that lame version.
:thumbup: NOT SOUL ITS PACKED WITH SOUL A GREAT TUNE AS WE ALL REMEMBER FROM WIGAN A FLOOR PACKER. PETE IS CORRECT ON THE FORMAT I HAVE NOT SEEN A COPY FOR SALE FOR A FEW YEARS NOW THAT TELLS YOU OR INDICATES THE RAREITY OF THIS TUNE. HOWEVER THE NEXT BEST THING TO OWN IS THE I THINK AUSSIE EP HAS 4 GREAT TRACKS I HAVE A COPY SOMEWHERE ITS WORTH IS LETS SAY £10 YOU WATCH SOMEONE WILL SAY TO CHEAP :shades: DAVE KIL
Social source share

:lol: NOT SOUL ITS PACKED WITH SOUL A GREAT TUNE AS WE ALL REMEMBER FROM WIGAN A FLOOR PACKER. PETE IS CORRECT ON THE FORMAT I HAVE NOT SEEN A COPY FOR SALE FOR A FEW YEARS NOW THAT TELLS YOU OR INDICATES THE RAREITY OF THIS TUNE. HOWEVER THE NEXT BEST THING TO OWN IS THE I THINK AUSSIE EP HAS 4 GREAT TRACKS I HAVE A COPY SOMEWHERE ITS WORTH IS LETS SAY £10 YOU WATCH SOMEONE WILL SAY TO CHEAP :wicked: DAVE KIL

I have a couple so called aussie ones,one with the same label on both sides...i thought they where dubious maybe ?.

Social source share

Aah.. but have you heard the FEMALE cover ?? :no: From the Australasian continent ?? :lol:

Fooking 'eck as like !! It has me totally won over.. and looking forward to giving it some turntable action in the near future to encourage it's exposure - talk about POWERFUL !! :)

Fingers.. :wicked:

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Ahh.. but have you heard the FEMALE cover ?? :no: From the Australasian continent ?? :lol:

Fooking 'eck as like !! It has me totally won over.. and looking forward to giving it some turntable action in the near future to encourage it's exposure - talk about POWERFUL !! :)

Fingers.. :wicked:

You have the tech stuff Johnny babe !,bang it in soul-clips man ! :lol:

Social source share

To the best of my knowledge Bobby Goldsboro's "Too Many People" was never released in either 7" or EP form in Australia ??? I stand to be corrected though if someone can show otherwise.

Of his various Aussie EP's, the only two northern tracks of his that are appear are "Its Too Late" & "She Chased Me".

As for the femme version of Too Many People, I guess you mean Dinah Lee's version ? Ermm, yes, it stomps like mad !

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

the uk 60s release version (black issue / green demo) is by fat the better of the two, reissue came out in late 70's pretty poor, great drum roll at intro of original. think also came out on italian release. the version on notts palais soundtrack is the better version

The Italian 45 is the proper 60s release and comes in a neat pic sleeve.

tmp6.jpg

Social source share

Some of the European pic sleeve issues are the 'wrong' version though.

That EP is a bootleg that appeared in 1977

Wasn't sure about the French one which is why I said "I assume". Was basing it on same photo shoot for pic sleeve as the Italian one which is definitely the 'right' version. Ta for info on boot though.

Incidentally, if in doubt check the arranger credits. Charles Blackwell for the 'right' version and Bill Justis for the 'wrong' one. Maybe about time we started referring to the 'Blackwell' version? :lol:

Social source share

Some of the European pic sleeve issues are the 'wrong' version though.

Really? Must check at home, got the UK issue and the german one. Never really compared them as "too many people" is not really a fave of mine. But they have different flipsides as well so might be two different versions too...

Social source share

Wasn't sure about the French one which is why I said "I assume". Was basing it on same photo shoot for pic sleeve as the Italian one which is definitely the 'right' version. Ta for info on boot though.

Incidentally, if in doubt check the arranger credits. Charles Blackwell for the 'right' version and Bill Justis for the 'wrong' one. Maybe about time we started referring to the 'Blackwell' version? :wicked:

Guess what, I had an Italian version which was the wrong one! Different pic sleeve as well. Sold it to Tim Brown, he sent it back :lol:

Social source share

Picked up the " Blue Autumn " album today , £2.00 , charity shop , Us press , bargain , :lol:

BUT ,

Although I got a bargain I'm more interested in the albums history , the original people who bought it / put it there , why get rid of it , etc ...

Yes I know it's weird but I'm not the only one !!

shades.gif

Social source share

You mean the "Justis" arrangement, Benji :thumbsup:

Actually it's not going to stick is it...?

yes the "Justis" arrangement :thumbup:

Funny thing is, I bought the UK issue as part of a collection two years ago. I never actually played it assuming it would be the same version as the german issue. A friend of mine used to play it off the german issue for years and I never really liked.

Last night I played the UK issue for the first time since I bought it. It didn't really blow me away but I can understand its Northern appeal now, nice record.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Picked up the " Blue Autumn " album today , £2.00 , charity shop , Us press , bargain , :thumbsup:

BUT ,

Although I got a bargain I'm more interested in the albums history , the original people who bought it / put it there , why get rid of it , etc ...

Yes I know it's weird but I'm not the only one !!

:thumbup:

:wave: Was going to say....just get the LP..no such worries then...& you get the other good tunes too.

:lol: I am right in presuming that the LP version is the right one ?.....can't say i've ever compared them & that's the only version I have.

Anyone put the two up together ?

Social source share

:thumbup: Was going to say....just get the LP..no such worries then...& you get the other good tunes too.

:wave: I am right in presuming that the LP version is the right one ?.....can't say i've ever compared them & that's the only version I have.

If it's got a a crappy little trumpet parp after the guitar intro it's the lame "Justis" mix. If it has a big feck of drum roll it's the superior "Blackwell" mix. Technically speaking that is :thumbsup:

Social source share

:thumbsup: Was going to say....just get the LP..no such worries then...& you get the other good tunes too.

:thumbup: I am right in presuming that the LP version is the right one ?.....can't say i've ever compared them & that's the only version I have.

the wrong version of TMP is the flipside to "blue autumn" on the german 45 so I assume it's the wrong version on the album as well.

Social source share

If it's got a a crappy little trumpet parp after the guitar intro it's the lame "Justis" mix. If it has a big feck of drum roll it's the superior "Blackwell" mix. Technically speaking that is :thumbsup:

maybe worth mentioning that these aren't different mixes they are different recordings (to my ears at least).

The Blackwell take has strings in the backing during the intro and an all around fuller arrangement. the Justis take sounds "emptier"

Social source share

maybe worth mentioning that these aren't different mixes they are different recordings (to my ears at least).

The Blackwell take has strings in the backing during the intro and an all around fuller arrangement. the Justis take sounds "emptier"

Pedantic - but correct :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

If it's got a a crappy little trumpet parp after the guitar intro it's the lame "Justis" mix. If it has a big feck of drum roll it's the superior "Blackwell" mix. Technically speaking that is :thumbup:

No it's the version with the drum roll...just checked it :thumbsup: This is the US issue LP by the way.

Social source share

Very interesting thread, and made me think back more years than i would like to admit too, being an old fart, used to play this in my my youth club days mixing pop and soul as Bobby Golsboro was classed as pop in them days, northern soul term had not been invented at that time (should have stayed that way realy as hate music being pigeon holed) it hasn't done the music any favours over the years, caused more arguments and splits but of course that's another story. The copy i have is the original UK Demo, can't remember how i came accross it, could have been one of my local record shops called "Rushtons Records" in Scunthorpe which for some reason used to get loads of Promotional/Demo 7" singles (had a few Promo albums too) which a certain young lady in the shop used to keep for me (that's all you need to know on that subject lol)

Anyway over the years i played it in my Northern soul spots at niters/dayers/soul nites etc and was always a floor packer, the thing the thread brought back to me was on a regular dee jaying visit to the K.G.B. I played the B G single and after playing it placed it on a pile of records that i'd already played, cued up my next single tured round to put played records back in box, Bobby Goldsboro had vanished off the top of the pile, just that one single, nothing else, i was quite annoyed at the time (as you would be) and the late Nev Wherry asked me what was wrong, i told him what had happened and he said, "Don't worry Rick, i will get it back for you, of course i thought no way will i see this record again, having had records stolen in the past, but true to his word the next time i was at the KGB he handed me my record, he would not tell me who had "lifted" it but i was just thankful to get it returned, it has over the years turned out to be a hard UK single to find, and far better than the re issued alternative take that got issued due to the Northern Soul demand, so there you go, a little bit of my history that this thread brought back to me, now i wonder who it was that lifted said record and the detective work that Nev did to return it to me still ammazes me to this day, Nev was a Top Man, and had a UK soul collection to die for (99% promos)

Social source share

Guest Little Anthony

Cah someone please do me a massive favour and paste the original version on Refosoul, if possible. smile.gif

Social source share

Guest Little Anthony

Just For You :thumbsup:

Superb mate. Genuinely haven't heard that for 30 years. Remember going to Wigan Dec '78 and the reissue EP had come out out on UA. It's too late and She chased me got hammered to death in M's that night.

Was with Andy Carmichael, Dave Kirk and Aza from the Wolvo. crowd if anyone remebers them.

Thanks again

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert