Ric-tic Question - Thoughts?

Guest Jean-Paul

Guest Jean-Paul

Hi there, apologies if this has been discussed before but couldn't find anything via Google or with a quick site search.

Basically I just picked up a copy of Edwin Starr's "Agent Double-O-Soul" on a yellow label Ric-Tic. I'd only seen it on a red label before, so did a search online about it and found that it was issued on both red and yellow labels.

However, the various (well-respected) sites* I looked at all say that the yellow label copy is titled "Agent O-O-Soul" not "Agent Double-O-Soul" as on the red copy.

My yellow label copy on the other hand though is labelled "Agent Double-O-Soul" as on the red label copies.

So, does anyone know what this means? Is it a rarer label variation? Or could it be boot? (doesn't look like one to me and I wouldn't have thought this common tune would've been booted)

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I know it's just a common tune and an old classic, but as a collector I can't help being curious about label variations etc.

Thanks!

--

* e.g. https://www.seabear.se/Ric-Tic.html

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest SoulRenaissance

Hi there, apologies if this has been discussed before but couldn't find anything via Google or with a quick site search.

Basically I just picked up a copy of Edwin Starr's "Agent Double-O-Soul" on a yellow label Ric-Tic. I'd only seen it on a red label before, so did a search online about it and found that it was issued on both red and yellow labels.

However, the various (well-respected) sites* I looked at all say that the yellow label copy is titled "Agent O-O-Soul" not "Agent Double-O-Soul" as on the red copy.

My yellow label copy on the other hand though is labelled "Agent Double-O-Soul" as on the red label copies.

So, does anyone know what this means? Is it a rarer label variation? Or could it be boot? (doesn't look like one to me and I wouldn't have thought this common tune would've been booted)

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I know it's just a common tune and an old classic, but as a collector I can't help being curious about label variations etc.

Thanks!

--

Came out on Red, yellow styrene with black script, and yellow vinyl with red script. All with stamps, and as titled above. Looking for a yellow label on styrene with red script, but not found one yet. San Remo strings "Hungry for love" as above, but got styrene yellow with red script too.

Social source share

Thanks!

--

Hi

If You Click On This Record Ric-Tic_Back.gif You Will See The Various Label Variations Found So Far For Ric-Tic RT-103

The White DEMO Has The Same Title As This Yellow Label Below & The Canadian Stock Copy.

These Have The "AGENT OO-SOUL (AGENT DOUBLE-O-SOUL)"

Ric-Tic_RT-103a_YL.jpgReo_8871Xa.jpg

So I Suspect That This Yellow Label Variation Was The First.

I Have Yet To Acquire A White DEMO Which Is Extremely Hard To Find.

However There Is A Scan Of This White DEMO At Hitsville Ric-Tic_Back.gif

This Is An Ongoing Project & Almost Complete.

These Have The "AGENT DOUBLE-O-SOUL"

Ric-Tic_RT-103a_Y-R.jpgRic-Tic_RT-103a_Y.jpg

Ric-Tic_RT-103a_R.jpgRic-Tic_RT-103a_YV.jpg

As Time Allows I Will Tidy Things Up & Make The Scans Bigger.

This Was The First Of The Labels That We Attempted,

We Now Scan At 300x300 These Are Only 200 x 200

Contains Many Scans Courtesy Of Collectors Worldwide

Further Information & Scans Always Welcome With This Ongoing Project.

>>> Hitsville Labels <<<

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest Jean-Paul

Thanks so much guys. Completely forgot to check out hitsvillesoulclub.com though I have seen this excellent site before. Good work.

Out of interest, is there much difference in value between the different pressings? I assume the demo is a bit pricier?

Social source share

Guest Jean-Paul

PS. The copy I just picked up is the yellow one with red text and seems to be vinyl not styrene - fortunately (as I hate styrene!)

Social source share

Thanks so much guys. Completely forgot to check out hitsvillesoulclub.com though I have seen this excellent site before. Good work.

Out of interest, is there much difference in value between the different pressings? I assume the demo is a bit pricier?

Hi Jean Paul,

The W/Demo of AO-O Soul is hard to find in really good condition. They are around but the ones you see are usually rough. I'd rate it at 100UKP in good nick.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Hi Jean Paul,

The W/Demo of AO-O Soul is hard to find in really good condition. They are around but the ones you see are usually rough. I'd rate it at 100UKP in good nick.

Dave at that price in good nick you would have to be fast picking it up IMO

Steve J

Social source share

PS. The copy I just picked up is the yellow one with red text and seems to be vinyl not styrene - fortunately (as I hate styrene!)
:thumbup: I HATE TO SAY THIS BUT IT IS THE STYRENE COPYS THAT WERE THE FIRST ISSUES AS WITH MOST DETROIT STUFF THERE ARE A FEW CANADIAN PRESSED RIC-TICS THEY HAVE 2 PARALEL LINES GOING ACROSS THE CENTRE HOLE JUST ABOVE AND BELOW I AM SURE OO SOUL WAS ONE OF THEM YOU SOMETIMES FIND THE SUPERLATIVES WITH 2 LINES WELL IN THE 7ts YOU DID :shades: DAVE KIL
Social source share

Guest mel brat

I know it's just a common tune and an old classic, but as a collector I can't help being curious about label variations etc...

It's may be a common enough side nowadays, but wasn't when it was first played. In fact several Ric-Tic records WERE bootlegged (on vinyl) in the early 70's - including J.J. Barnes "Please Let Me In" and Laura Lee as I recall. There may have been several others. I think the red label colour was a little paler than on the styrene originals.

After that, I always assumed ALL Ric-Tics on vinyl to be bootlegs. :lol:

Social source share

It's may be a common enough side nowadays, but wasn't when it was first played. In fact several Ric-Tic records WERE bootlegged (on vinyl) in the early 70's - including J.J. Barnes "Please Let Me In" and Laura Lee as I recall. There may have been several others. I think the red label colour was a little paler than on the styrene originals.

After that, I always assumed ALL Ric-Tics on vinyl to be bootlegs. unsure.gif

:lol: THE LAURA LEE RECORD REALLY PISSED ME OF WHEN I BOUT IT ONLY TO FIND OUT IT WAS A BOOT FUCKERS! :D DAVE KIL

Social source share

My copy is the yellow label/red text "double-o-soul" version, but definitely styrene. I don't know if I've ever seen a Ric-Tic 45 made of vinyl, only styrene.

Edit: I stand corrected, I just checked my partner's collection & she has the yellow/red/vinyl variation. So definitely the yellow/red label originally came out on both vinyl & styrene. What a mess.

Edited by nz45s
Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

After that, I always assumed ALL Ric-Tics on vinyl to be bootlegs. :wicked:

Got "Agent double oo soul" & "Hungry for love" on yellow vinyl copies, and they both have proper ztsc stamps. So always thought they were legal issues, just different pressing runs as happened with succesful records. As they were.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Got "Agent double oo soul" & "Hungry for love" on yellow vinyl copies, and they both have proper ztsc stamps. So always thought they were legal issues, just different pressing runs as happened with succesful records. As they were.

But I'm fairly certain that J.J. Barnes and Laura Lee WERE bootlegged on vinyl, which made it very confusing if you hadn't seen definite originals! :rolleyes:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

But I'm fairly certain that J.J. Barnes and Laura Lee WERE bootlegged on vinyl, which made it very confusing if you hadn't seen definite originals! :thumbsup:

Got a Rose Batiste "Holding hands" boot, as someone pointed out. The labels duller. Not sure about L.L. & J.J. never seen 'em.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert