Soul 35009 All For You - Earl Van Dyke

Becket

Hi all, Becket here.....................

I have a Motown article from Record Collector, circa the 9t's. In this article written by Nick Brown, with additional info from Martin Koppel and Tim Brown, it details the SOUL record label and discography. It clearly lists 35009 All for you / Too many fish in the sea; BUT does say it was withdrawn. It also gives a value of £1500 back then (the value of Frank Wilson in the same article is £8,000) and therefore you would think it exists as MK & TM had input.

Has anyone ever, seen, heard of, or got a copy ? J.M. has mentioned that he has never come across one. So what is the general verdict on this; is it as rare as F.W. dare I say ?

Cheers........... Tom. Banbury.

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest carl_p

I don't have it either. It's listed in the soussan/ron murphy book as being very scarce but i don't think Ron Murphy had a copy.

Social source share

No expert but may be of interest.

As a teenager, before www., before fax!! I collected SOUL and wrote to Motown for a label list. I still have it even though I spent most of the mid to latter 70s carrying it around record bars at nighters ticking them off. The list is obviously a photo-copy from a file, looks like a heavy leather bound file. The clerk made notes on the list indicating White/Purple, circles, both, releases and also NR at the side of those Not Released. I'm not saying this is acurate - as there is no NR at the side of 35019 (Frank Wilson), neither does it record the White/Purple Francis Nero.

But may be interesting never the less:

Numbers with no information - 35007 (other list have this as Merced Blue Notes); 35114 (other lists as Jr Walker - You Are The Sunshine of My Life); 35124 (never listed as far as I know, finished at 35123)

Marked with NR - 35086 David and Jimmy Ruffin, Lo and Behold; 35089 Blinky, How You Gonna Keep It (also NR on Motown 1168); 35101 Bob Babbitt, Gospel Truth (missed an acetate of this on ebay about 3 or 4 year ago); 35121 Originals, Call On Your Six-Million Dollar Man (There are demo copies of this around, got one a short while ago).

All others including 35009 have no specific information apart from indicating White/Purple. It is on other list as Unissued (www.seabear.se/SOUL )

Had the list when Frank Wilson was covered up as Eddie Foster, wondered but thought "No, can't be!!"

Dean

Social source share

No expert but may be of interest.

As a teenager, before www., before fax!! I collected SOUL and wrote to Motown for a label list. I still have it even though I spent most of the mid to latter 70s carrying it around record bars at nighters ticking them off. The list is obviously a photo-copy from a file, looks like a heavy leather bound file. The clerk made notes on the list indicating White/Purple, circles, both, releases and also NR at the side of those Not Released. I'm not saying this is acurate - as there is no NR at the side of 35019 (Frank Wilson), neither does it record the White/Purple Francis Nero.

But may be interesting never the less:

Numbers with no information - 35007 (other list have this as Merced Blue Notes); 35114 (other lists as Jr Walker - You Are The Sunshine of My Life); 35124 (never listed as far as I know, finished at 35123)

Marked with NR - 35086 David and Jimmy Ruffin, Lo and Behold; 35089 Blinky, How You Gonna Keep It (also NR on Motown 1168); 35101 Bob Babbitt, Gospel Truth (missed an acetate of this on ebay about 3 or 4 year ago); 35121 Originals, Call On Your Six-Million Dollar Man (There are demo copies of this around, got one a short while ago).

All others including 35009 have no specific information apart from indicating White/Purple. It is on other list as Unissued (www.seabear.se/SOUL )

Had the list when Frank Wilson was covered up as Eddie Foster, wondered but thought "No, can't be!!"

Dean

Dunno about Soul # 35009 being a rarity , but " AFY " on a UK 12" 78 RPM disc , now that is a rarity ......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1236103300_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Dunno about Soul # 35009 being a rarity , but " AFY " on a UK 12" 78 RPM disc , now that is a rarity ......

Malc Burton

Yes, looks pretty cool to me Malc. You might need to cart around an old gramaphone though to play it out and stick the mic in the trumpet ! :thumbup:

Cheers........... Tom.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert